Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DoubleChecks

Gold

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat May 25, 2013 12:50 pm

wert3813 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:I will say two things:

(1) NYC is by far the safest market to bid on, just because of the number of jobs and firms.
(2) In spite of that, I would not feel compelled to bid on NYC unless you are very risk averse or have solidly below median grades (IE 2 H's or less after 1L). Boston, Chicago, Houston, and LA firms still dip pretty deep into the class and give you enough firms with which to fill a balanced bid list. SF and DC are riskier but still hire tons of HLS grads and go deep into the class. Talk to OCS, look at old EIP spreadsheets, and then make the decision you think is right for you.
Ok. I just don't want NY. LA (where I have ties), CO (ties), South (ties), Boston (only ties is H), DC, Houston (no ties), or SF (no ties) are all fine. Do I need to worry about 3 H's or less?
Random comment. If you have strong ties to the south (like spent some time there), that is essentially treated as a tie to the Houston market for 2L SAs. Maybe not 1L SAs though. I know of a lot of 2Ls who got offers to Houston biglaw who have no family in TX, but were originally from Louisiana or Georgia, etc.
16 years plus UG in the state between LA and GA will get it done right?

Also did you see my other question for you?
For 2L SA, easily. Show genuine interest in TX and the Houston market, and play up the TX ego. Texans all think Texas is the best. Why Houston? "Well I grew up in LA and GA, spent 16 yrs plus in ___ UG and loved my time down here. Have some family, etc., and can see myself raising a family in the south or west. Houston stands out because it has such a strong legal economy and robust energy industry that other states like LA and GA currently just don't have. Houston's one of the major legal markets down in this region, so even though I've never spent time in TX, it just makes a lot of sense." I mean, you could go on about how Houston is a great city with a nice cultural scene, amazing restaurants and more Fortune 500 companies than any other city not named NYC...but that'd just sound contrived :P

I had friends who got cbs to Houston biglaw who had rather tenuous ties to TX. One spent a few yrs there in middle school, but had lived in NJ pretty much ever since. His parents were from there as well, and he went to ugrad there, etc.
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Sat May 25, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat May 25, 2013 12:55 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:The cutoff is anecdotally somewhere around a 3.6 average (there was a post from a guy last year who claimed he missed with a 3.56). Magna is anecdotally in the low-mid 3.9 range. At the risk of over-sharing, I ended up with a 3.88 and got cum laude.
I will second that this is also what I have heard. HLS is very 'black-box' about this whole thing, so you will never know the exact grade cutoffs. Low-mid 3.9 for magna sounds right (based on some friends who graduated in prior yrs), and 3.6+ for cum laude sounds like a good approximation.

As someone else mentioned, HLS calculates your GPA in a funky way. Within a year, it is E((number of credit hrs for a class) x (GPA for class [DS=5, H=4, P=3, LP=2]))/total credit hours. But your graduating GPA takes the GPA of each yr and weighs them equally, so that each yr is 1/3 of your final graduating GPA, regardless of how many credit hours you took within a particular yr.

So 1L yr, if you took 36 hrs and got a 3.0 GPA, 2L yr took 26 hrs and got a 3.0 GPA, and 3L yr only took 3 hrs and got a 5.0 GPA (pretend you met the min. hr requirements to graduate somehow, or took a bunch of credit only courses lol), then your graduating GPA would be 3+3+5/3 = 3.67 ...which might snag you cum laude :P

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:14 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:The cutoff is anecdotally somewhere around a 3.6 average (there was a post from a guy last year who claimed he missed with a 3.56). Magna is anecdotally in the low-mid 3.9 range. At the risk of over-sharing, I ended up with a 3.88 and got cum laude.
I will second that this is also what I have heard. HLS is very 'black-box' about this whole thing, so you will never know the exact grade cutoffs. Low-mid 3.9 for magna sounds right (based on some friends who graduated in prior yrs), and 3.6+ for cum laude sounds like a good approximation.

As someone else mentioned, HLS calculates your GPA in a funky way. Within a year, it is E((number of credit hrs for a class) x (GPA for class [DS=5, H=4, P=3, LP=2]))/total credit hours. But your graduating GPA takes the GPA of each yr and weighs them equally, so that each yr is 1/3 of your final graduating GPA, regardless of how many credit hours you took within a particular yr.

So 1L yr, if you took 36 hrs and got a 3.0 GPA, 2L yr took 26 hrs and got a 3.0 GPA, and 3L yr only took 3 hrs and got a 5.0 GPA (pretend you met the min. hr requirements to graduate somehow, or took a bunch of credit only courses lol), then your graduating GPA would be 3+3+5/3 = 3.67 ...which might snag you cum laude :P
As long as you are being super helpful is the 2012 EIP sheet out yet?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat May 25, 2013 1:19 pm

wert3813 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

Haha tbh, I have long since forgotten how to even find that document.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:26 pm

It's on the OCS page but us 0Ls are still locked out of OCS (which is reasonable).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat May 25, 2013 2:14 pm

wert3813 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

read through this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&start=25

but really, don't worry about all of this. focus on improving your social skills and lift. i'm not kidding, being cut will take you a long way. you laugh now but you'll see...

re grades: pick your second semester elective carefully. don't be one of those nerds obsessed with particular classes or one of those people who think they're going to learn some divine wisdom from some class because of the subject matter or because a particular professor is teaching it. 1L is really the quintessential case of the blind leading the blind, if there was ever such a thing....avoid that neurotic crap. there are easy gunner-free ways to cop H's and there are hard ways. that second semester elective is about one of the easiest way to guarantee yourself at least one H (and avoid the straight P's label). choose wisely.

disclaimer: this is directed to 0l's in general, not you in particular, you might not need to do that etc etc.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Sat May 25, 2013 2:40 pm

for my own $.02 i disagree strongly w/ the above advice. pick an elective you'll be into, not one that you think will get you the easiest H.

some classes do have a rep as being easier Hs than others, and it's not unreasonable to include that as part of your calculus, but please don't make it the sole consideration as the above post seems to suggest. you owe it to yourself to take classes you think you'll enjoy, with professors you think you'll enjoy. law school is not simply an H tally, so don't treat it that way.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Sat May 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:lift. i'm not kidding, being cut will take you a long way. you laugh now but you'll see...
btw, seriously?

who the fuck are you? are you a raging tool in person too? i have a sneaking suspicion as to who you are... section 6?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat May 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:lift. i'm not kidding, being cut will take you a long way. you laugh now but you'll see...
btw, seriously?

who the fuck are you? are you a raging tool in person too? i have a sneaking suspicion as to who you are... section 6?

lol just lol...

you seem upset...

if you know me you probably should have realized i don't give a fuck who you are or care to know who you are...to the extent you can't stand me, i probably can't stand you thrice as much...

you're free to disagree with me...i give advice, you give yours...it's perfectly fine if we disagree, i don't understand the problem..

ps: trying to figure out who someone is on here is pretty pathetic. i know who some people are on here but do not care to publicize the fact or try to figure it out if i don't know...

what could possibly be the point? just lol at law students

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Sat May 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Yeah I read through that and it is really helpful. Just bored and wanted to see a list of who comes to OCI.

Watches mom and dad fight over a question he asked and quietly tries to leave the room

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Sat May 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:
btw, seriously?

lol just lol...

you seem upset...

if you know me you probably should have realized i don't give a fuck who you are or care to know who you are...to the extent you can't stand me, i probably can't stand you thrice as much...

you're free to disagree with me...i give advice, you give yours...it's perfectly fine if we disagree, i don't understand the problem..

ps: trying to figure out who someone is on here is pretty pathetic. i know who some people are on here but do not care to publicize the fact or try to figure it out if i don't know...

what could possibly be the point? just lol at law students
just to be clear:

1) i don't care to "try to figure out" who you are; it's not like i'm digging through your posting history trying to connect dots. it's just that i've seen a couple posts of yours that eerily remind me of the real-life behavior of a certain toolbag 1L i know in section 6, so i figured i'd ask

2) i didn't publicize anything, nor would i publicly out your actual name even if i were 100% sure who you were.

3) i agree that there's no problem with conflicting advice. our substantive advice was different, and i wasn't annoyed by your advice at all, just disagreed with it. my annoyance only came afterward once i read the completely non-substantive, unsolicited, and hopelessly tool-tastic "lift, bro, so you can be cut like me" line.

cheers

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat May 25, 2013 3:56 pm

wert3813 wrote:Yeah I read through that and it is really helpful. Just bored and wanted to see a list of who comes to OCI.

Watches mom and dad fight over a question he asked and quietly tries to leave the room
i don't like bullshitting...look at me like the random dude next to you on a barstool at some local dive trying to talk over the jukebox, not that i'm comparing bojangles to a jukebox...

you seem focused on getting biglaw, i had the same aspirations going in, so maybe you might find the views and hypotheses of someone who just got done with 1l that's not trying to convince you to hug puppies, sing kumbaya, and change the world, refreshing.

caution: rant ahead

in your first year, you're going to be surrounded by people with aspirations of prosecuting foday sankoh at the hague. there are more people focused on biglaw like you than you think. but the shitlibs are naturally the most vociferous and the limousine liberalism at harvard can be militant. at some point, they are going to start putting brightly-colored "firmly refuse" stickers on your desks telling you to not work at a firm etc etc.

the militant liberalism that pervades an institution that is decidedly capitalist - as evidenced by the fact that they are charging you a fortune to simply teach you how to read a casebook - is arguably, the one miracle the evangelical faith has failed to recognize. i digress. at some point, you'll learn to laugh at the fact that a bunch of kids from greenwich, connecticut are trying to teach you about oppression. it gets better with time because they eventually shut up.

Grades do not matter that much. having objectively bad grades may however, hamper your efforts (it's possible to overcome, but why take the chance if you don't have to?). i'm simply providing one way to avoid the rat race. the sociability and interviewing skills are personal, so i can't help with that.

also note, that what you think you may find interesting may turn out to be be supremely boring(like "international law," whatever that is...at least half the shit is non-binding and purely aspirational). sometimes, this depends on who teaches it. as has been previously mentioned, having a marquee name teach the subject is no guarantee that it will be enjoyable or even, illuminating.

finally, there are many clinics that grade on a pass/fail basis where you can explore to your heart's content.

you know, they keep pretending grades don't matter (i generally agree). i've however always wondered why they don't do away with grades in the first semester (like yale) if they really believed that. before your first semester grades they are going to give you a link to a record screed about all the shitboomers that went on to achieve great things despite not doing well in certain classes. that's always a nice touch.

tl;dr

the whole process is similar to applying to law school. a 4.0 in some shit humanities will beat a 3.2 in nuclear physics every time. it's like the dude who shows up on tls baffled by the fact that nobody gives a shit about the fact that his 3.2 is explained by the fact that he took a "hard" major. "But I took "physics" before i switched!"

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Yeah I read through that and it is really helpful. Just bored and wanted to see a list of who comes to OCI.

i don't like bullshitting...look at me like the random dude next to you on a barstool at some local dive trying to talk over the jukebox, not that i'm comparing bojangles to a jukebox...

you seem focused on getting biglaw, i had the same aspirations going in, so maybe you might find the views and hypotheses of someone who just got done with 1l that's not trying to convince you to hug puppies, sing kumbaya, and change the world, refreshing.

in your first year, you're going to be surrounded by people with aspirations of prosecuting foday sankoh at the hague. there are more people focused on biglaw like you than you think. but the shitlibs are naturally the most vociferous and the limousine liberalism at harvard can be militant. at some point, they are going to start putting brightly-colored "firmly refuse" stickers on your desks telling you to not work at a firm etc etc.

the militant liberalism that pervades an institution that is decidedly capitalist - as evidenced by the fact that they are charging you a fortune to simply teach you how to read a casebook - is arguably, the one miracle the evangelical faith has failed to recognize. i digress. at some point, you'll learn to laugh at the fact that a bunch of kids from greenwich, connecticut are trying to teach you about oppression. it gets better with time because they eventually shut up.

Grades do not matter that much. having objectively bad grades may however, hamper your efforts (it's possible to overcome, but why take the chance if you don't have to?). i'm simply providing one way to avoid the rat race. the sociability and interviewing skills are personal, so i can't help with that.

also note, that what you think you may find interesting may turn out to be be supremely boring(like "international law," whatever that is...at least half the shit is non-binding and purely aspirational). sometimes, this depends on who teaches it. as has been previously mentioned, having a marquee name teach the subject is no guarantee that it will be enjoyable or even, illuminating.

finally, there are many clinics that grade on a pass/fail basis where you can explore to your heart's content.

you know, they keep pretending grades don't matter (i generally agree). i've however always wondered why they don't do away with grades in the first semester (like yale) if they really believed that. before your first semester grades they are going to give you a link to a record screed about all the shitboomers that went on to achieve great things despite not doing well in certain classes. that's always a nice touch.

tl;dr

the whole process is similar to applying to law school. a 4.0 in some shit humanities will beat a 3.2 in nuclear physics every time. it's like the dude who shows up on tls baffled by the fact that nobody gives a shit about the fact that his 3.2 is explained by the fact that he took a "hard" major. "But I took "physics" before i switched!"
Yeah I love that paper about the professors from another generation. Prof. So and so got a D in con law but went on to clerk for the supreme court.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sat May 25, 2013 4:47 pm

ph14 wrote:Yeah I love that paper about the professors from another generation. Prof. So and so got a D in con law but went on to clerk for the supreme court.
I SEE YOU HAL SCOTT!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat May 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:

tl;dr

man, your yr sounds like it kinda sucks lol...

...but i probably just extricated myself from law school drama/stress relatively early on (as i am somewhat of a hermit who just hangs out with a small group of close friends) that i missed out on all the good and bad of these things.

i do agree though that different people go to law school for different reasons, so i am a supporter of "to each his own"

ryan1888vandy

New

Post by ryan1888vandy » Wed May 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Where did those posters discussing the every-year is weighted evenly in terms of overall GPA get that from? I've looked over the HLS website and haven't seen it spelled out that way...
DoubleChecks wrote:

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Wed May 29, 2013 8:26 pm

ryan1888vandy wrote:Where did those posters discussing the every-year is weighted evenly in terms of overall GPA get that from? I've looked over the HLS website and haven't seen it spelled out that way...
From the Handbook of Academic Policies --> I. Requirements for the J.D. Degree:
M. Graduation with Honors

1. A student who completes the requirements for the J.D. degree with distinction will receive the degree cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude.

2. Latin honors at graduation will be based on the average of the three annual grade point averages (GPA). GPA will be calculated for each year of study and then averaged across the three years to determine Latin honors.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Wed May 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:

tl;dr

Was about to jump in to defend liberalism at HLS, read the part about Firmly Refuse, remembered the ridiculous sanctimonious editorials in the HL Record, and then was like, "okay actually he's right." :lol: I am a liberal person but that stuff got tiresome.

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Thu May 30, 2013 11:42 am

Any input on a place to buy a couch (maybe mattress) for a fairly cheap price. Obviously cheap and quality don't go together - but I just don't want to be stuck with some shoddy damaged piece of furniture.

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Searchparty wrote:Any input on a place to buy a couch (maybe mattress) for a fairly cheap price. Obviously cheap and quality don't go together - but I just don't want to be stuck with some shoddy damaged piece of furniture.
I'd like to know too. I was yelping some places and wanted to know the rep of these two places.

Sleepy's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sleepys-the-mat ... s%20stores

Sleep-A-Rama: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sleep-a-rama-ca ... s%20stores

Are they okay or are there better places to shop?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu May 30, 2013 10:41 pm

I got my bed stuff at Boston Bed Company and I'm really happy with my bed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
Searchparty wrote:Any input on a place to buy a couch (maybe mattress) for a fairly cheap price. Obviously cheap and quality don't go together - but I just don't want to be stuck with some shoddy damaged piece of furniture.
I'd like to know too. I was yelping some places and wanted to know the rep of these two places.

Sleepy's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sleepys-the-mat ... s%20stores

Sleep-A-Rama: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sleep-a-rama-ca ... s%20stores

Are they okay or are there better places to shop?

I found (through bad reviews of another furniture place) a seemingly decent furniture store with an "outlet" that has cheap couches <$500 called Jordan's furniture. Yelp reviews seemed positive. Also have mattresses in the outlet... I think I'll end up purchasing from there

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:15 am

Doorkeeper wrote:I got my bed stuff at Boston Bed Company and I'm really happy with my bed.
Searchparty wrote: I found (through bad reviews of another furniture place) a seemingly decent furniture store with an "outlet" that has cheap couches <$500 called Jordan's furniture. Yelp reviews seemed positive. Also have mattresses in the outlet... I think I'll end up purchasing from there
Thanks for the suggestions!

gertie

New

Post by gertie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:33 pm

For students who plan to take advantage of the LIPP after graduation: did you take out the maximum amount in loans that you were eligible to take out or did you take out only what you "needed"?

I am considering taking out the full COA amount because LIPP will pay for it in the end(I do not see myself changing career interests). Is this a dangerous idea?

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:12 pm

gertie wrote:For students who plan to take advantage of the LIPP after graduation: did you take out the maximum amount in loans that you were eligible to take out or did you take out only what you "needed"?

I am considering taking out the full COA amount because LIPP will pay for it in the end(I do not see myself changing career interests). Is this a dangerous idea?
Incoming student, but... Make sure it's all LIPP eligible, as all the loans they offer you may not be depending on your financial situation.

I'd look into what the difference in monthly payment would be and see if its significant in the event you make more than anticipated faster than anticipated

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”