Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
icpb

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby icpb » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:42 pm

With regards to grades, does the GPA (or equivalent of) used to calculate graduation honors ever appear on your HLS transcript?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:43 pm

icpb wrote:With regards to grades, does the GPA (or equivalent of) used to calculate graduation honors ever appear on your HLS transcript?

Don't think so.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:17 pm

Assuming you had gotten into Yale (maybe you did???) would you still have gone to Harvard? If so, why? if not, why?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:19 pm

thederangedwang wrote:Assuming you had gotten into Yale (maybe you did???) would you still have gone to Harvard? If so, why? if not, why?

I probably would've gone to Yale if I had gotten in. But don't bother asking this question until it is a reality.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:20 pm

thederangedwang wrote:Assuming you had gotten into Yale (maybe you did???) would you still have gone to Harvard? If so, why? if not, why?

I personally would not have and chose not to apply to SLS or YLS for that reason. But I have a very specific goal: biglaw back in Houston/TX. HLS gave me the best opportunity to do that. Even if YLS is ranked higher, HLS already = almost no barrier of entry back into TX, esp. since I have TX ties. I am not interested in academia at all, and like the Harvard brand name + intangibles over the negligible (or not readily perceivable at least) advantage YLS would give me in biglaw hiring down in Houston.

The size and variety in curriculum appealed to me as well. HLS is large enough where if you want to do it, it is available in some degree haha...yet 1L sections are small and intimate enough for you not to get lost in the crowd during your first year.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:22 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

I personally would not have and chose not to apply to SLS or YLS for that reason. But I have a very specific goal: biglaw back in Houston/TX. HLS gave me the best opportunity to do that. Even if YLS is ranked higher, HLS already = almost no barrier of entry back into TX, esp. since I have TX ties. I am not interested in academia at all, and like the Harvard brand name + intangibles over the negligible (or not readily perceivable at least) advantage YLS would give me in biglaw hiring down in Houston.

The size and variety in curriculum appealed to me as well. HLS is large enough where if you want to do it, it is available in some degree haha...yet 1L sections are small and intimate enough for you not to get lost in the crowd during your first year.

where did u got to school? im at rice right now...yay houston.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:26 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

where did u got to school? im at rice right now...yay houston.

UT Austin, though I know a bunch of people who went to Rice (but I don't think you'd know them).

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:58 pm

I got into both but choose Harvard. I couple of things sealed it for me. I have no desire to clerk or go into academia. I love Cambridge and the Boston area much more than the New Haven area. At the time I was thinking of moving here with my significant other and we thought it would be much easier to find work in Cambridge than New Haven. I'm a black law student and the BLSA chapter here is amazing. Also I was a JD/MBA candidate and the business school is much better than Yale's. ASW really sealed it for me. I had a great time in Cambridge and I actually found the size of the school a plus. I think Harvard size allows it to have a variety of classes and clubs that fit every interest. Finally being a vet Harvard was free for me whereas Yale was not.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:15 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I got into both but choose Harvard. I couple of things sealed it for me. I have no desire to clerk or go into academia. I love Cambridge and the Boston area much more than the New Haven area. At the time I was thinking of moving here with my significant other and we thought it would be much easier to find work in Cambridge than New Haven. I'm a black law student and the BLSA chapter here is amazing. Also I was a JD/MBA candidate and the business school is much better than Yale's. ASW really sealed it for me. I had a great time in Cambridge and I actually found the size of the school a plus. I think Harvard size allows it to have a variety of classes and clubs that fit every interest. Finally being a vet Harvard was free for me whereas Yale was not.

Vet + H + JD/MBA + AA + seemingly cool internet guy. I'm personally requesting that you rip a massive fart in an OCI screener just to test the limits on your ability to turn screeners into callback everywhere, please. :lol:

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Didn't make the choice, but:

1) Love Cambridge, love Boston, very meh on New Haven. This has impacted my quality of life.
2) Prefer the larger class size.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:32 pm

I have a question for people who have deferred, or anyone who might know the answer to this.

If I defer, will I have to apply for fin aid both this year and next? Or can I just update the application with a new FAFSA or something? My income will be roughly the same, depressing amount both years, but just wondering what the procedure is. Also, I read somewhere around here that SLS takes parental income into account less when the applicant reaches some age (27?) and then not at all at some other age (29?). Is this the same at HLS?

Thanks!

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Vet + H + JD/MBA + AA + seemingly cool internet guy. I'm personally requesting that you rip a massive fart in an OCI screener just to test the limits on your ability to turn screeners into callback everywhere, please. :lol:

Haha I haven't got any grades yet, I bet a LP or two and I won't have to worry about any callbacks. Speaking of which back to studying goodnight TLS.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:00 am

kulshan wrote:I have a question for people who have deferred, or anyone who might know the answer to this.

If I defer, will I have to apply for fin aid both this year and next? Or can I just update the application with a new FAFSA or something? My income will be roughly the same, depressing amount both years, but just wondering what the procedure is. Also, I read somewhere around here that SLS takes parental income into account less when the applicant reaches some age (27?) and then not at all at some other age (29?). Is this the same at HLS?

Thanks!

I don't know about deferring, but yes, they do phase out the amount of parents' income that they count, I think 25% a year from 26-29.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:27 am

delusional wrote:
kulshan wrote:I have a question for people who have deferred, or anyone who might know the answer to this.

Thanks!

I don't know about deferring, but yes, they do phase out the amount of parents' income that they count, I think 25% a year from 26-29.

Thanks, I ended up finding the sliding scale info last night while trawling the website. I do hope that I get to adjust my fin aid award each year, since I'm 26 now, but I have an early October birthday, so I'll just miss the next step down each year.

ignatiusr

Postby ignatiusr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:16 am

delusional wrote:

Thanks!

I don't know anything about financial aid, so forgive me if this is a foolish question: does the scale continue to slide each year that I'm in school? I'll be 26 as a 1L, and 28 my final year, so does this mean that my need-based aid will increase every year? Or does the original calculation apply every year?

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:42 am

ignatiusr wrote:I don't know anything about financial aid, so forgive me if this is a foolish question: does the scale continue to slide each year that I'm in school? I'll be 26 as a 1L, and 28 my final year, so does this mean that my need-based aid will increase every year? Or does the original calculation apply every year?

Yeah, this is what I'm wondering. I assume that it gets re-evaluated each year based on your new income and age, which is awesome for people like us (who will move through the scale each year).

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:03 am

kulshan wrote:
ignatiusr wrote:I don't know anything about financial aid, so forgive me if this is a foolish question: does the scale continue to slide each year that I'm in school? I'll be 26 as a 1L, and 28 my final year, so does this mean that my need-based aid will increase every year? Or does the original calculation apply every year?

Yeah, this is what I'm wondering. I assume that it gets re-evaluated each year based on your new income and age, which is awesome for people like us (who will move through the scale each year).

You know, I've assumed so ever since I arrived, but I never actually asked Student Financial Services. I really should do that.

I'm a little late to the "not Yale" bandwagon, but had I gotten into both, I still probably would've chosen Harvard at the end of the day. Class size was part of it — that's not just more opportunity while you're in law school, but also a larger alumni base as you're looking at jobs — and my somewhat idiosyncratic desire to have a real first year of law school. I didn't want to be graded Pass/Pass in my first semester; that would screw up at least a significant portion of my motivation for studying and actually learning.

But I'm also glad that we don't have the traditional A-B-C grading here, too, because then I'd start worrying about an A vs. an A- vs. a B+ and all that garbage. Here, if I do well, I'm getting an H. If I do okay, I'm getting a P. If I type words on a screen that somewhat resemble the English language, I'm getting an LP. That sounds about as differentiated as we really ought to be.

(There's also the obvious: I preferred Cambridge to New Haven, etc. But that's been plenty adequately covered above. Oh, and I wanted to cross-register for some classes at other Harvard schools, especially the Kennedy School, and maybe dual degree, to that was another big factor in favor.)

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 pm

for those of u guys that went on asw, did harvard pay or set u guys up for any flights/hotels/rides, etc?

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:34 pm

thederangedwang wrote:for those of u guys that went on asw, did harvard pay or set u guys up for any flights/hotels/rides, etc?

There's something in the letter about how they'll offer some reimbursement to everyone who visits before May 1st this year. I'd also like to know what the assistance has been in the past.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:05 pm

I was set up with free housing for Saturday and Sunday night (a vacant dorm in North Hall, which was pretty nice). The reimbursement depends on how far away you're coming from and (somewhat) on financial need. No need and coming from California came to a check for $150 for travel, if I remember correctly. Didn't pay for the ticket, but it cut the cost a fair bit.

I came on Thursday night, stayed in a cheap hotel that night and Friday night, and hung around the area on Friday to get a feel for it. Was worth it, I think, because I knew that Harvard was my top choice and just wanted to be sure that everything checked out. The rest of the weekend can be sort of hectic, so it was nice to take a day just to look at whatever I wanted.

ignatiusr

Postby ignatiusr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28 am

I have a question about parking- from the comments I've read, current students appear to be very adamant that bringing a car to Cambridge is not advisable. My sister and several friends live 100 miles from Cambridge, and I had planned on visiting them as often as time would allow during the school year. I've researched public transportation options, and it looks like I'd have to take the subway to a bus depot, then make a connection in another city, and finally arrive at my destination around 4 hours after I began. This would obviously be costlier and more time-consuming than driving my own car.

When people warn against bringing your car, is this primarily because it is a) difficult to acquire a street permit and b) annoying to move your car during street cleanings? Or are there other reasons I'm missing? I should also mention that I'd be happy to use a parking space that was a 20-30 min walk from campus.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:37 am

ignatiusr wrote:I have a question about parking- from the comments I've read, current students appear to be very adamant that bringing a car to Cambridge is not advisable. My sister and several friends live 100 miles from Cambridge, and I had planned on visiting them as often as time would allow during the school year. I've researched public transportation options, and it looks like I'd have to take the subway to a bus depot, then make a connection in another city, and finally arrive at my destination around 4 hours after I began. This would obviously be costlier and more time-consuming than driving my own car.

When people warn against bringing your car, is this primarily because it is a) difficult to acquire a street permit and b) annoying to move your car during street cleanings? Or are there other reasons I'm missing? I should also mention that I'd be happy to use a parking space that was a 20-30 min walk from campus.

I think those are the reasons. Also, the fact that owning a car is not really necessary up here (as compared to say, TX), most would advise against it. Your situation may be unique, esp. if you place a high premium on meeting your sister and friends//maybe not even planning on driving on a routine basis.

annyong

Postby annyong » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:39 am

I've been thinking about going with on-campus housing for the first year for cost and convenience sake, I know there's a lottery involved, can anyone speak to an incoming 1Ls chances of getting what they want? Any other insight on housing in general would also be great, I'm not 100% set on Cambridge but I'd say it's about at 90 :P

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:13 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
ignatiusr wrote:I have a question about parking- from the comments I've read, current students appear to be very adamant that bringing a car to Cambridge is not advisable. My sister and several friends live 100 miles from Cambridge, and I had planned on visiting them as often as time would allow during the school year. I've researched public transportation options, and it looks like I'd have to take the subway to a bus depot, then make a connection in another city, and finally arrive at my destination around 4 hours after I began. This would obviously be costlier and more time-consuming than driving my own car.

I think those are the reasons. Also, the fact that owning a car is not really necessary up here (as compared to say, TX), most would advise against it. Your situation may be unique, esp. if you place a high premium on meeting your sister and friends//maybe not even planning on driving on a routine basis.

Most people I know who have a car here also had a significant other move with them. You'll probably also find during 1L that the school year doesn't actually allow trips home as much as you anticipate.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:00 pm

We live in a Somerville and we have a car. It was not hard to get a permit - I just showed the MA registration. We can usually find parking within a block or two of our apartment - even on street cleaning days. The only hiccup was a ticket we got for parking within 20 feet of an intersection - yeah, you cannot do that in Somerville, even if the sign says otherwise.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”