Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
englawyer

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby englawyer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
dcg2120 wrote:Hey everyone, thanks again for all the helpful answers!

What is the dorm policy/suitemate etiquette for having guests? My SO will be in NJ while I'm at law school and we're trying to figure out weekend visits. Would it be a problem if she stayed with me every other weekend or so? I'm cheap and lazy, so I'd rather live in the dorms than bother with getting an off-campus apartment.

Sorry if that's a dumb question but my UG dorms had some very annoying sign-in/sign-out policies and didn't let guests stay more than a couple of nights every month.

that's fine...

+1: there are no sign-in/out policies and as far as i know not even a formal limit on guest visits.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:11 pm

Theoretically, the Housing Handbook says: "Residents may have occasional guests for temporary visits of up to three nights without special permission. If you would like to have a guest for longer than three days, you will need to get permission from the Student Housing Coordinator in the Dean of Students Office."

I don't know that anyone in practice counts those days, though.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for taking questions.

A few of us waitlisted applicants are considering visiting the school just in case we get accepted and have to make a quick decision. Specifically, we're looking at Friday the 26th.

Do you think it's worth it to visit at all / on that day? Given that it's the last day of classes, would that be a good or a bad time to talk to current students? And if we do visit, what do you think would be the best way to meet current students we could talk with?

Also, is there any point in contacting the admissions office prior to visiting? I'm not looking for them to put a note in my file or trying to get a boost in any way; I just want to know if there's anything they normally do for visitors this time of year.

Finally, any suggestions or recommendations on places to stay or things to do while in the area (other than going to the Kong :roll: ) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Lavitz wrote:Hey everyone, thanks for taking questions.

A few of us waitlisted applicants are considering visiting the school just in case we get accepted and have to make a quick decision. Specifically, we're looking at Friday the 26th.

Do you think it's worth it to visit at all / on that day? Given that it's the last day of classes, would that be a good or a bad time to talk to current students? And if we do visit, what do you think would be the best way to meet current students we could talk with?

Also, is there any point in contacting the admissions office prior to visiting? I'm not looking for them to put a note in my file or trying to get a boost in any way; I just want to know if there's anything they normally do for visitors this time of year.

Finally, any suggestions or recommendations on places to stay or things to do while in the area (other than going to the Kong :roll: ) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Probably a bad time to talk to current students, given the fact that finals start soon after. Best way to meet current students would be to email admissions probably, or an affinity group/club maybe. Are you sure it's necessary though? It's Harvard Law School. Just accept if you get off the waitlist. I feel like you probably won't get anything more insight than you will get here, and people will probably be more candid here.

But if you want to check out the area and stuff that could be valid reasons if it is important to you. I don't think you would need to get in touch with any current students though for that.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:21 pm

ph14 wrote:Probably a bad time to talk to current students, given the fact that finals start soon after. Best way to meet current students would be to email admissions probably, or an affinity group/club maybe. Are you sure it's necessary though? It's Harvard Law School. Just accept if you get off the waitlist. I feel like you probably won't get anything more insight than you will get here, and people will probably be more candid here.

But if you want to check out the area and stuff that could be valid reasons if it is important to you. I don't think you would need to get in touch with any current students though for that.

Thanks for the quick response.

That's what I was thinking initially, but when I floated the idea in the waitlist thread, I received a PM from an admitted student who felt it was very important that I both visit the school and talk to current students. He was initially very much set on attending Harvard until he visited and changed his mind, so I figured it might be worth the trip to make sure. And since I can't take off work until that last week, that's really my only option.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Lavitz wrote:
ph14 wrote:Probably a bad time to talk to current students, given the fact that finals start soon after. Best way to meet current students would be to email admissions probably, or an affinity group/club maybe. Are you sure it's necessary though? It's Harvard Law School. Just accept if you get off the waitlist. I feel like you probably won't get anything more insight than you will get here, and people will probably be more candid here.

Thanks for the quick response.

That's what I was thinking initially, but when I floated the idea in the waitlist thread, I received a PM from an admitted student who felt it was very important that I both visit the school and talk to current students. He was initially very much set on attending Harvard until he visited and changed his mind, so I figured it might be worth the trip to make sure. And since I can't take off work until that last week, that's really my only option.

Well, I am a current student (as are many who post in this thread) and we are happy to take any questions you want. What was that persons other options? If he also had acceptances to Stanford or Yale or a large scholarship at another school, then he or she might have the luxury to decline Harvard. But if you are coming off the waitlist and you are looking at Harvard and a lower ranked school without a significant scholarship, then it should be a pretty easy decision. Plus, whatever views an admitted student may have from his two day visit are probably not as insightful or accurate as what we can tell you. This is not to discourage you from visiting, but just adding my two cents.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 pm

ph14 wrote:Well, I am a current student (as are many who post in this thread) and we are happy to take any questions you want. What was that persons other options? If he also had acceptances to Stanford or Yale or a large scholarship at another school, then he or she might have the luxury to decline Harvard. But if you are coming off the waitlist and you are looking at Harvard and a lower ranked school without a significant scholarship, then it should be a pretty easy decision. Plus, whatever views an admitted student may have from his two day visit are probably not as insightful or accurate as what we can tell you. This is not to discourage you from visiting, but just adding my two cents.

All points well taken. I think (s)he did have Y/S.

But I'm actually not finding this to be as easy a decision as I thought it was a few months ago. I'm fairly debt-averse, have $150K at Cornell, I don't expect to get much need-based aid from Harvard, and my main goal is really just NYC Biglaw. I don't mean to turn this into a "choosing a law school" thread, just explaining why I'm hesitant to accept without at least visiting the school first to remove any doubts I have about attending.

Oh, and I read this entire thread a long time ago which is why I can't even come up with any new questions to ask you. You've all done a great job. :) So at this point I figured the only thing left was for me to experience the place for myself.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Lavitz wrote:
ph14 wrote:Well, I am a current student (as are many who post in this thread) and we are happy to take any questions you want. What was that persons other options? If he also had acceptances to Stanford or Yale or a large scholarship at another school, then he or she might have the luxury to decline Harvard. But if you are coming off the waitlist and you are looking at Harvard and a lower ranked school without a significant scholarship, then it should be a pretty easy decision. Plus, whatever views an admitted student may have from his two day visit are probably not as insightful or accurate as what we can tell you. This is not to discourage you from visiting, but just adding my two cents.

All points well taken. I think (s)he did have Y/S.

But I'm actually not finding this to be as easy a decision as I thought it was a few months ago. I'm fairly debt-averse, have $150K at Cornell, I don't expect to get much need-based aid from Harvard, and my main goal is really just NYC Biglaw. I don't mean to turn this into a "choosing a law school" thread, just explaining why I'm hesitant to accept without at least visiting the school first to remove any doubts I have about attending.

Oh, and I read this entire thread a long time ago which is why I can't even come up with any new questions to ask you. You've all done a great job. :) So at this point I figured the only thing left was for me to experience the place for myself.

Fair enough, that's certainly a tough decision if you get in off the waitlist (and I am certainly hoping that you do).

eph

Postby eph » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Does this make sense? About to withdraw from Stanford and Yale and give up a couple full rides to t-10 schools. Stanford... great school just the wrong coast. Yale... I might want an MBA and their business school is just plain bad. Also even if I just stay JD in my years in finance I just never run into Yale grads while we have lots of Harvards JD's doing lots of interesting things. The full rides...just not Harvard. Time to send in the $500 I think.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 am

eph wrote:Does this make sense? About to withdraw from Stanford and Yale and give up a couple full rides to t-10 schools. Stanford... great school just the wrong coast. Yale... I might want an MBA and their business school is just plain bad. Also even if I just stay JD in my years in finance I just never run into Yale grads while we have lots of Harvards JD's doing lots of interesting things. The full rides...just not Harvard. Time to send in the $500 I think.

Sounds like your mind is made up. Just note that you don't have to commit just yet, so you could always sleep on it for a few more nights.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:18 am

eph wrote:Does this make sense? About to withdraw from Stanford and Yale and give up a couple full rides to t-10 schools. Stanford... great school just the wrong coast. Yale... I might want an MBA and their business school is just plain bad. Also even if I just stay JD in my years in finance I just never run into Yale grads while we have lots of Harvards JD's doing lots of interesting things. The full rides...just not Harvard. Time to send in the $500 I think.

Grades suck, FWIW. I am the biggest Harvard troll you could ever meet, and I even think there is probably more opportunity here than Yale. But no grades... man, that would be amazing...

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:44 am

delusional wrote: Grades suck, FWIW. I am the biggest Harvard troll you could ever meet, and I even think there is probably more opportunity here than Yale. But no grades... man, that would be amazing...

seconded. i think there're more opportunities here than yale but the grade thing is pure bullshit. about 80-90% of the students are frankly fungible, i don't see the point.

that said, grades don't really matter that much, which is why they need to deal away with the whole thing, or at the very least, get rid of LP's. i really don't understand why any professor would wanna give someone an LP. then again, professors used to be law students. the worst is when a professor starts taking absences, personal. if you got into harvard, chances are, you can learn to teach yourself everything law school is going to teach you in about a semester. i really don't understand their problem.

then again, it could be worse. we could be at chicago, for example. where the most obnoxious members of our species find creative ways to turn straightforward research on westlawnext into an act of martyrdom, one torture point removed from self-immolation in tibet...hyperventilating over people not italicizing commas lest it dilutes the RIGOR.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:12 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
delusional wrote: Grades suck, FWIW. I am the biggest Harvard troll you could ever meet, and I even think there is probably more opportunity here than Yale. But no grades... man, that would be amazing...

seconded. i think there're more opportunities here than yale but the grade thing is pure bullshit. about 80-90% of the students are frankly fungible, i don't see the point.

that said, grades don't really matter that much, which is why they need to deal away with the whole thing, or at the very least, get rid of LP's. i really don't understand why any professor would wanna give someone an LP. then again, professors used to be law students. the worst is when a professor starts taking absences, personal. if you got into harvard, chances are, you can learn to teach yourself everything law school is going to teach you in about a semester. i really don't understand their problem.

then again, it could be worse. we could be at chicago, for example. where the most obnoxious members of our species find creative ways to turn straightforward research on westlawnext into an act of martyrdom, one torture point removed from self-immolation in tibet...hyperventilating over people not italicizing commas lest it dilutes the RIGOR.

? In large classes, even if profs take it personally, they are blind graded.

In small seminar classes (say 20 people), I would take it personally if someone consistently missed my smaller, more intimate class lol.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:59 pm

is 12 credits fairly reasonable/defensible to take for 2L fall?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:is 12 credits fairly reasonable/defensible to take for 2L fall?

why would you take more than 12? why is it not reasonable?

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:13 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:is 12 credits fairly reasonable/defensible to take for 2L fall?

why would you take more than 12? why is it not reasonable?

dunno, looks like 12/semester is just enough to graduate, but i'm wondering whether it might be seen as slacking/coasting to take just 12. i mean, compared to 1L year taking 18/semester, it kinda seems too good to be true TBH

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:dunno, looks like 12/semester is just enough to graduate, but i'm wondering whether it might be seen as slacking/coasting to take just 12. i mean, compared to 1L year taking 18/semester, it kinda seems too good to be true TBH
Do you see how 1L has warped your thinking? They've tricked you into thinking 18 credits is some kind of reasonable baseline. It's not. Take 12 credits and love it.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm

GertrudePerkins wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:dunno, looks like 12/semester is just enough to graduate, but i'm wondering whether it might be seen as slacking/coasting to take just 12. i mean, compared to 1L year taking 18/semester, it kinda seems too good to be true TBH
Do you see how 1L has warped your thinking? They've tricked you into thinking 18 credits is some kind of reasonable baseline. It's not. Take 12 credits and love it.

so awesome. thank allah (and thank you too)

Harv

Postby Harv » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey, read the whole thread. It's super informative, thank you everyone who contributed. I'm a Canadian debating between HLS and U of T (Canada's best). I'm willing to go wherever opportunity and adventure takes me, but the approximately 100,000 more in debt I would carry out of Harvard gives me pause. Admittedly, I haven't researched this thoroughly, but it seems that Canada's economy/legal market is more stable than America's. Though, of course, HLS grads are pretty insulated from America's volatility. Given the debt load that I'll be carrying at either school, I am interested in big law (at least in the beginning). Both schools place quite well in this regard.

When I consider HLS, and the job prospects after, I have the following concerns:
No geographic ties anywhere in the US
No-name undergrad
No relevant work experience, though I have a few years of carpentry experience (perhaps this nets me some sort of maturity/character points?)

I would say my only saving grace at this pont (can't predict my grades) would be that I think I'm relatively socially adept. I'm confident that I would have a great three years at either school, so post-grad job prospects and lifestyle are my primary concerns. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Harv wrote:Hey, read the whole thread.

Sorry, I absolutely could not focus on anything else you said in your post after that first statement. You read all 84 pages?! You belong in HLS, what a gunner :P jk

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:05 pm

Harv wrote:Hey, read the whole thread. It's super informative, thank you everyone who contributed. I'm a Canadian debating between HLS and U of T (Canada's best). I'm willing to go wherever opportunity and adventure takes me, but the approximately 100,000 more in debt I would carry out of Harvard gives me pause. Admittedly, I haven't researched this thoroughly, but it seems that Canada's economy/legal market is more stable than America's. Though, of course, HLS grads are pretty insulated from America's volatility. Given the debt load that I'll be carrying at either school, I am interested in big law (at least in the beginning). Both schools place quite well in this regard.

When I consider HLS, and the job prospects after, I have the following concerns:
No-name undergrad
No relevant work experience, though I have a few years of carpentry experience (perhaps this nets me some sort of maturity/character points?)

I would say my only saving grace at this pont (can't predict my grades) would be that I think I'm relatively socially adept. I'm confident that I would have a great three years at either school, so post-grad job prospects and lifestyle are my primary concerns. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Haha, now to actually say something marginally more useful to you: I don't know about Canada's market or how you view $100k debt, but I can speak to your HLS concerns.

No geographic ties anywhere in the US will not really matter at all, unless you're targeting an insular market or something. If you are doing the run of the mill NYC biglaw market, being from Canada will not hurt you at all. I know a bunch of people here in NYC biglaw that were from Canada. Not as sure how being from Canada affects your job prospects on the west coast...I'd imagine you'd be treated like anyone else not from California lol, which may not be that negative at all.

No name undergrad does not really matter when you're at the stage of getting a biglaw job. It'd be a bigger concern when you were applying to law school, and since that clearly did not hold you back much, I will go on a ledge and say it won't affect you too much in EIP either.

No relevant work experience can hurt, or at least it won't help, but you'll be fine if you're targeting, again, a run of the mill NYC biglaw job. If you're looking for a super selective firm, this might hurt you a bit. I was a K-JD and my lack of work experience did not noticeably impact me at all. Being a good interviewer is at least just as important, so if you think you're socially adept, maybe you can make carpentry really work to your advantage (as long as the analogy is not too corny or something :P).

Harv

Postby Harv » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Harv wrote:Hey, read the whole thread. It's super informative, thank you everyone who contributed. I'm a Canadian debating between HLS and U of T (Canada's best). I'm willing to go wherever opportunity and adventure takes me, but the approximately 100,000 more in debt I would carry out of Harvard gives me pause. Admittedly, I haven't researched this thoroughly, but it seems that Canada's economy/legal market is more stable than America's. Though, of course, HLS grads are pretty insulated from America's volatility. Given the debt load that I'll be carrying at either school, I am interested in big law (at least in the beginning). Both schools place quite well in this regard.

No-name undergrad

Thanks.

Haha, now to actually say something marginally more useful to you: I don't know about Canada's market or how you view $100k debt, but I can speak to your HLS concerns.

No geographic ties anywhere in the US will not really matter at all, unless you're targeting an insular market or something. If you are doing the run of the mill NYC biglaw market, being from Canada will not hurt you at all. I know a bunch of people here in NYC biglaw that were from Canada. Not as sure how being from Canada affects your job prospects on the west coast...I'd imagine you'd be treated like anyone else not from California lol, which may not be that negative at all.

No name undergrad does not really matter when you're at the stage of getting a biglaw job. It'd be a bigger concern when you were applying to law school, and since that clearly did not hold you back much, I will go on a ledge and say it won't affect you too much in EIP either.

No relevant work experience can hurt, or at least it won't help, but you'll be fine if you're targeting, again, a run of the mill NYC biglaw job. If you're looking for a super selective firm, this might hurt you a bit. I was a K-JD and my lack of work experience did not noticeably impact me at all. Being a good interviewer is at least just as important, so if you think you're socially adept, maybe you can make carpentry really work to your advantage (as long as the analogy is not too corny or something :P).

This is great, thank you. For right now, I think California would be pretty high on my list of desired places to find a job. I think New York or Boston would be really cool too. Not interested in DC. I mainly just wanted to be sure that the factors I've identified don't negatively impact my chances before I even begin! Of course, many people will be in the same lack of work experience boat, so as long as this isn't compounded by the other two factors, my concerns in this area are largely assuaged!

ejw388

Postby ejw388 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Sorry to disrupt the current topic, but I have a semi-urgent housing question I'd be SO grateful if a current student could help me with. I just "selected" an apartment in Terry Terrace (out of the "currently available" HUH apartments, I know it's an early lease date but I want to be there this summer) and now have just a few days to sign the lease, but there are all these riders about construction attached. I usually don't pay much attention to that kind of thing since I assume they are just trying to avoid any potential complaint, but the level of noise and dust that they say can happen sounds pretty bad. Does anyone who lives there or near there now know if this is actually an issue, or if they just put this in every lease to be safe? Or is there just construction going on everywhere all the time anyway?

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 pm

ejw388 wrote:Sorry to disrupt the current topic, but I have a semi-urgent housing question I'd be SO grateful if a current student could help me with. I just "selected" an apartment in Terry Terrace (out of the "currently available" HUH apartments, I know it's an early lease date but I want to be there this summer) and now have just a few days to sign the lease, but there are all these riders about construction attached. I usually don't pay much attention to that kind of thing since I assume they are just trying to avoid any potential complaint, but the level of noise and dust that they say can happen sounds pretty bad. Does anyone who lives there or near there now know if this is actually an issue, or if they just put this in every lease to be safe? Or is there just construction going on everywhere all the time anyway?
There was a comparable (maybe exactly the same) rider when I moved into Haskins Hall my 1L year, but there wasn't actually any construction on the building the whole year I lived there. Now, they did do some significant work on the building the following year, so I'm not sure if such riders are wholly pro forma, but I don't think you can assume that such a rider means that major work is imminent. As far as I can tell they're not doing any work on Terry Terrace right now, though that could obviously change. If you're really concerned (which is not unreasonable), why not call HUHS and ask?

ejw388

Postby ejw388 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 pm

GertrudePerkins wrote:
ejw388 wrote:Sorry to disrupt the current topic, but I have a semi-urgent housing question I'd be SO grateful if a current student could help me with. I just "selected" an apartment in Terry Terrace (out of the "currently available" HUH apartments, I know it's an early lease date but I want to be there this summer) and now have just a few days to sign the lease, but there are all these riders about construction attached. I usually don't pay much attention to that kind of thing since I assume they are just trying to avoid any potential complaint, but the level of noise and dust that they say can happen sounds pretty bad. Does anyone who lives there or near there now know if this is actually an issue, or if they just put this in every lease to be safe? Or is there just construction going on everywhere all the time anyway?
There was a comparable (maybe exactly the same) rider when I moved into Haskins Hall my 1L year, but there wasn't actually any construction on the building the whole year I lived there. Now, they did do some significant work on the building the following year, so I'm not sure if such riders are wholly pro forma, but I don't think you can assume that such a rider means that major work is imminent. As far as I can tell they're not doing any work on Terry Terrace right now, though that could obviously change. If you're really concerned (which is not unreasonable), why not call HUHS and ask?

Yeah that's a good idea. I guess I'd just expect them to tell me that they can't guarantee anything, but it's true that I may as well try! Anyway your experience was also along the lines of what I wanted to hear, it seems like it's probably not a reason not to take the apartment. Thanks for your input!!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”