Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tomwatts

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 am

wert3813 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:in fact, do not go to the kong.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

What's the Kong?

You know the line about Mos Eisley spaceport?
howlery wrote:How often do HLS students socialize with students from nearby schools? Are there MIT-HLS mixers or something?

It is possible to meet students from other schools, but it's not as easy or obvious as you might expect. There are not very many non-HLS people at HLS. There are tons of non-HKS people at HKS, which leads me to believe that HLS is more insular than the rest of Harvard. But you can cross-register if you want (including cross-registering at MIT).

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:03 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
howlery wrote:How often do HLS students socialize with students from nearby schools? Are there MIT-HLS mixers or something? I'm totally down to marry a rocket scientist.

ETA: I haven't been admitted but, please, humor me.

I run into the same group of Lesley students every Wednesday at 2:00 a.m. at Tasty Burger if that counts.

is the tasty burger joint near the garage open at 2am?

I'm not sure when it closes, but definitely not until after 3:30

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 am

Alright future classmates. Reading Getting to Maybe this summer and nothing else? No E&Es or Hornbooks?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:48 pm

tomwatts wrote:

Are you kidding me? It's one of the best places to go and judge people. It's hilarious.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:00 pm

howlery wrote:How often do HLS students socialize with students from nearby schools? Are there MIT-HLS mixers or something? I'm totally down to marry a rocket scientist.

there are people at many schools looking for something like inter-school mixers. i heard some speed dating event for all the grad schools in the area sold out almost immediately. alas, there are not too many of those types of events.

bruwinning24

Postby bruwinning24 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:18 pm

What's a sample daily class schedule for a 1L? Especially for the first term.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:13 pm

bruwinning24 wrote:What's a sample daily class schedule for a 1L? Especially for the first term.

it's like undergrad, except you don't get to choose (except your elective, and flavor of international law during your second semester).

example: property m-t-w 8:20 to 9:40.
leg & reg m-t 1-3pm
contracts w-th-fr 10:20-11:40 or m-t-w same time
civ pro th-fr 1-3pm
you get lrw on one day for two hours but the actual class seldom lasts two hours.

there are too many combinations possible, both as to times and subjects. some have property first semester...others, second...same for crim...etc

second semester you get to choose one elective and your choice of international law in addition to two "fixed" classes (e.g., if one had the above subjects, one'd have torts and criminal law second semester). you also have lrw.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:09 pm

domino wrote:TBH, I am kind of hoping to find Mr. Right while I'm in law school. Any thoughts on dating culture, whether people date others in the area outside the law school, etc.?

For some people this works out well. I don't know these people.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:10 pm

tomwatts wrote:

Y'all are no fun. I <3 the Kong.

Odds are good, goods are odd, etc. etc.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:27 pm

wert3813 wrote:Alright future classmates. Reading Getting to Maybe this summer and nothing else? No E&Es or Hornbooks?

Anyone?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:40 pm

wert3813 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Alright future classmates. Reading Getting to Maybe this summer and nothing else? No E&Es or Hornbooks?

Anyone?

1. There is nothing Harvard specific about this question.
2. This has been discussed to a nauseating degree in other forums.
3. Nothing else besides Getting to Maybe, and even that is completely optional.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:43 pm

ph14 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

Anyone?

1. There is nothing Harvard specific about this question.
2. This has been discussed to a nauseating degree in other forums.
3. Nothing else besides Getting to Maybe, and even that is completely optional.

All good points. Thanks.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:52 pm

also some of the general advice in other threads may not be applicable to harvard. you could have a combination of last-class-take-home-exams (you have like a week to complete the exam, open book)/one-day-take-home's (8 hours, open book) for all of your semester's classes.

most advice i see are aimed at traditional race-horse "issue-spotters". you may have a couple of those, who knows. my entire 1l year...i would only have had 3 "issue spotters" out of 10 classes and i sure as shit would never have one again.

i haven't had a single closed-book exam.

the advice in the other thread can be good as far as knowing the basics, i suspect. you can read getting to maybe or that other small book by the guy named whitebread or whatever, but it's all up to you.

TrustInMusic

Postby TrustInMusic » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:41 am

wert3813 wrote:

Anyone?

Buddy, I love how keen you are... Makes me want to nerd out as well hahaha
Going to get Getting to Maybe

Genuinely interested... Do you see the people at Admissions during your studies, just hanging out? I think it would be cool to see JS just chilling and striking a convo in 2L or something ahahaha

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:03 am

TrustInMusic wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

Anyone?

Buddy, I love how keen you are... Makes me want to nerd out as well hahaha
Going to get Getting to Maybe

Genuinely interested... Do you see the people at Admissions during your studies, just hanging out? I think it would be cool to see JS just chilling and striking a convo in 2L or something ahahaha
I have no idea who any of them are. I think most people would literally not recognize them if they saw them in the cafeteria or whatever, especially since they're all new since we were admitted.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:41 pm

They're on the upper floors of Austin Hall. Students have no reason to go to the upper floors of Austin Hall unless we're going to a big event at the Ames Courtroom, which doesn't happen a lot. Thus, we don't pass by them much.

dcg2120

Postby dcg2120 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:21 am

Hey everyone, thanks again for all the helpful answers!

What is the dorm policy/suitemate etiquette for having guests? My SO will be in NJ while I'm at law school and we're trying to figure out weekend visits. Would it be a problem if she stayed with me every other weekend or so? I'm cheap and lazy, so I'd rather live in the dorms than bother with getting an off-campus apartment.

Sorry if that's a dumb question but my UG dorms had some very annoying sign-in/sign-out policies and didn't let guests stay more than a couple of nights every month.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:52 am

dcg2120 wrote:Hey everyone, thanks again for all the helpful answers!

What is the dorm policy/suitemate etiquette for having guests? My SO will be in NJ while I'm at law school and we're trying to figure out weekend visits. Would it be a problem if she stayed with me every other weekend or so? I'm cheap and lazy, so I'd rather live in the dorms than bother with getting an off-campus apartment.

Sorry if that's a dumb question but my UG dorms had some very annoying sign-in/sign-out policies and didn't let guests stay more than a couple of nights every month.

that's fine...

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:00 pm

dcg2120 wrote:Hey everyone, thanks again for all the helpful answers!

sure, but keep in mind that if it's gropius, your bed will be an "extra-long twin." plenty big enough for two oompa loompas to share, but for two full-size people not so much

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Besides missing material, what are the issues with missing a class? Is it proper to alert your professor when you'll be out (if there's a legitimate excuse)?

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Searchparty wrote:Besides missing material, what are the issues with missing a class? Is it proper to alert your professor when you'll be out (if there's a legitimate excuse)?

I've tended to play it by ear. Some classes it seems the prof will take it personally, so I let them know. Other profs seem that they won't notice or care so I don't. Also depends if you want to connect with said professor. Also depends what the reason is.

I do have a thing about telling a prof when I'm going to leave early, because that can be disruptive.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 pm

delusional wrote:
Searchparty wrote:Besides missing material, what are the issues with missing a class? Is it proper to alert your professor when you'll be out (if there's a legitimate excuse)?

I've tended to play it by ear. Some classes it seems the prof will take it personally, so I let them know. Other profs seem that they won't notice or care so I don't. Also depends if you want to connect with said professor. Also depends what the reason is.

I do have a thing about telling a prof when I'm going to leave early, because that can be disruptive.

Yeah, telling a prof if you're leaving early is a good call.

Some profs have rules and they usually state it upfront in the beg. and in the syllabus. I've had other profs who've told the class they don't care, do whatever you want. Others will have days you are "on call", so obv. you have to show up for those days. I missed a lot of class in the beg. of 1L spring because I was flying out for callbacks, and most of my profs were understanding, except one prof, who was a prick to me the rest of the semester for it (even though I e-mailed him ahead of time to let him know), but blind grading so whatever.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:31 pm

acrossthelake wrote:but blind grading so whatever.

So it's more courtesy rather than protecting your grade. What about the professors who don't allow you to miss class, are there any grade penalties?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Searchparty wrote:

So it's more courtesy rather than protecting your grade. What about the professors who don't allow you to miss class, are there any grade penalties?

It's definitely more courtesy than protecting your grade. There are no professors that I know of that "don't allow you to miss class." I think that, some professors advise on the syllabus that they reserve the right to alter grades downward if you are spectacularly unprepared multiple times, or something to that effect, but who knows how often they actually adjust grades.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Searchparty wrote:

I don't know any that do that, but they might exist? I've gotten Hs in classes where I would fail to show up for a month at a time because it was just too early in the morning. It's really nbd.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”