Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zidane13

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby zidane13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Searchparty wrote:What are the chances of successfully getting a 1br in Terry Terrace as a 1L, assuming you can live there as a 1L.

Interested in this as well.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:44 pm

zidane13 wrote:
Searchparty wrote:What are the chances of successfully getting a 1br in Terry Terrace as a 1L, assuming you can live there as a 1L.

Interested in this as well.
I'm afraid I don't know what the chances are, but it's certainly possible to live there as a 1L. Didn't do so myself, but knew multiple 1Ls who did.

2012applicant2013

Postby 2012applicant2013 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Can any current Harvard students speak to choosing HLS over other T-6s with full scholarships?

I'm currently struggling with paying for HLS on my own vs going to UChicago with a significant scholarship.

mommalee

Postby mommalee » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:18 pm

read2465 wrote:I'm going to be moving a family and two very small dogs to Cambridge. We've lived there before and know how hard it is to find pet friendly housing, so I'm trying to get a head start on that.

We'll be wanting a pet-friendly two bedroom reasonably close to the law school--preferably Huron Village or Davis Square, but definitely open to other options that aren't going to run us past the $2200 (at the very highest!) mark.

I suppose my question is this: Is there any sort of forum for current gradating students to post up their apartments? We'd love to sublet from someone who needs to leave before September. Ideally we'd move in sometime in July or August. I'm going to the April ASW--is there some sort of bulletin board on campus to look for these types of things? Do private landlords post anywhere on campus?

Have you looked at HUH? I am also moving a family to the area. I know that some of the units are pet friendly (not sure if you can have 2 animals though) and at least a couple (Holden Green) would fit into your budget. Also, there is not damage deposit/first/last months rent.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:36 pm

2012applicant2013 wrote:Can any current Harvard students speak to choosing HLS over other T-6s with full scholarships?

I'm currently struggling with paying for HLS on my own vs going to UChicago with a significant scholarship.

I did not personally turn down a full ride to a T6, but oddly enough I know 3 people who turned down the Ruby for HLS. Career goals (academia, non-law-related employment, etc.), parental financial contributions, ASW visits and the seemingly infinite prestige of a Harvard degree were relevant factors in their decisions.

Very few - if any - professional doors will be closed as a consequence of your having attended UChi on a full ride. So it's more of a personal thing. If you already went to a well-regarded undergrad, Harvard's prestige may carry a lower marginal value. If you get a significant need-based scholarship from HLS, UChi's discount may not be as appealing. Etc.

My decision would be HLS because I really like it here. I know that isn't helpful at all. But we have fun things like Noah Feldman, a fancy library and a Parody troupe.

read2465

Postby read2465 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Last edited by read2465 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:37 pm

2012applicant2013 wrote:Can any current Harvard students speak to choosing HLS over other T-6s with full scholarships?

1. What are your career aspirations?

If you want biglaw, then the difference between Harvard and Chicago is not worth over a hundred thousand dollars. If you want biglaw in Chicago, then this is a nonstarter and just go to Chicago.

If you want PI, then the freedom of not have over a hundred thousand dollars hanging over your head is something important to consider.

If you're dead set on fed gov or academia, then Harvard is stacked and you should consider choosing Harvard if it's financially feasible for you to do so.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:55 pm

1. Bad at law school, don't like law school: Chicago. No debt means that it is easier to transition to another field and the only cost was opportunity costs and time. If you don't get a big law job it's not a big deal, although you have a good chance at either school.

2. Good at law school, don't like law school: Chicago. You do well at Chicago, and at Harvard. You get biglaw out of either. But since you don't like law school/the legal profession, you don't have to take a big law job at Chicago. At Harvard you are likely going to take a big law job (obviously there is LRAP to consider and such that one should consider as well) and work for a few years to pay down your debt, even though you don't like law school. If you go to Harvard you won't be able to transition out of law for at least a few years after graduation (assuming you don't drop out after say one semester).

3. Bad at law school, do like law school: Closer, but i'd probably take Chicago here. It's probably a wash in terms of getting biglaw. But the consequences of striking out are hugely different. If you strike out at HLS, you're looking at a mountain of debt and no discernible way of paying it off. If you strike out at Chicago, you don't have any debt. You are free to pursue whatever your passion is in law, since you do like law school.

4. Good at law school, do like law school: This is the only scenario, really, where I see Harvard winning here. First, the argument for why Chicago is better: you do well at law school, so you don't really have a huge difference in outcomes; clerkships, etc. are still open for you. But I would probably argue that Harvard wins here as you are going to be working in the legal profession for the rest of your career, and you like law, so it ends up being worth it over a 50 year time span, perhaps.

Thus, I think the safer choice is Chicago, and the scenario that maximizes your expected utility.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:01 am

tomwatts wrote:I turned down a full-tuition scholarship at NYU to go to HLS, for a couple of reasons, but my case isn't comparable at all (I'm doing a JD/MPP, I'm not going into all that much debt, etc.).

Just bringing this back up again, because the question got asked again.

Chicago is much, much smaller than HLS, so it depends a bit on what you want your class size to be. A big class means many more activities/student groups and a much broader alumni network, though much harder to make law review. Chicago also has a reputation for being pretty conservative, whereas Harvard is a pretty big tent but leans liberal on average. It does depend rather a lot on what you want to do with your law degree.
Last edited by tomwatts on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:23 am

If I was in your position (I wasn't), I'd be struggling with the decision as a 0L.

If I could go back to be in your position, after a few years of LS, I'd make the decision in a heartbeat: Chicago.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 pm

PMan99 wrote:

If I was in your position (I wasn't), I'd be struggling with the decision as a 0L.

If I could go back to be in your position, after a few years of LS, I'd make the decision in a heartbeat: Chicago.

Agreed.. unless you are getting 25k+/year at HLS I actually don't see a single scenario where it is worth it to take HLS (unless your family is super rich). The clerking rationale doesn't seem to be worth 6 figures when the truth is you will have to do well at either school to clerk. The conservative v. liberal thing is super, super overblown to the point of ridiculousness. Wanting "large class size" isn't nearly worth six figures, especially since you will end up hanging with the same couple dozen of people (at most) regardless of what school you choose. For academia, the difference between HLS and UChi isn't such that one blows the either out of the water plus there are so many variables that will come into play along the way that school choice is diminished at this level. Biglaw is a wash.

I honestly don't think there is a single reason that is significant enough to put HLS in play without significant money. Even if you were gunning for supreme court for some odd reason its not like every single top grad at HLS has a shot at that. The circumstances where the school choice between the two might possibly matter are so contingent on the occurrence of other unknown variables.

redlongzl

Postby redlongzl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi!
I am looking for a quiet dorm.
May I know if North/Hastings are generally quieter than Gropius?
Thanks!

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:30 pm

redlongzl wrote:Hi!
Thanks!

Yes

redlongzl

Postby redlongzl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:33 pm

PMan99 wrote:
redlongzl wrote:Hi!
Thanks!

Yes

Thanks for your reply!

Could you say a little on the pros/cons of North vs. Hastings? I don't have a potential roommate.

Thanks!

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm

redlongzl wrote:Thanks for your reply!

Could you say a little on the pros/cons of North vs. Hastings? I don't have a potential roommate.

Thanks!

If you're looking for a single, the standard North room and the 1 BR Suite in Hastings are about the same price. The good part about North is that you get your own bathroom/shower in your room, which is really nice - both for privacy and just for making things easy. The Hastings rooms are significantly bigger, although you get a full bed in North and only a twin in Hastings. Also North has elevators so you don't have a multi-story walkup every time you need to go to or from your room. From what I can remember there's probably more strain on the Hastings kitchens and laundry rooms (meaning more crowded) than in North as well. North has a kitchen on every floor, Hastings has a kitchen in the basement.

For location, Hastings is right on campus so you have a ~1 minute walk out of your door to WCC, whereas North is two blocks away. This may be a factor to some people, but if you're someone who likes to cook for yourself it also means that North a few blocks closer to the only supermarkets around HLS.
Last edited by PMan99 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:45 pm

I think when you're within close bands of schools, and you have family reasons like your very significant S.O.'s career is much better served in city X, your parents or your spouse's parents are in city X and you plan to have kids in law school, etc. that you should just let something like that decide.

If it's money, it depends of course on the financial aid you get at HLS, but assuming you get NO money from HLS and don't have any personal reason tilting towards Boston over NYC or Chicago or away from NYC or Chicago, I think it's silly to turn down the Rubenstein or the Hamilton.

When it comes to SLS vs HLS, you should go wherever you think you would be happier. In HLS's favor, I like our larger class size. In SLS's favor, their winters don't suck. I think it's entirely reasonable to base that decision on very superficial reasons.

I wouldn't take, like, UVa at half-price over HLS though.

If you want to do academia, don't turn down YLS outside personal reasons.

smorgs2010

Postby smorgs2010 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 am

Hello kind HLS students,

I am planning my wedding - got engaged three weeks before getting into HLS, and February 2013 officially became the best month of my entire life life - and I wanted to know about the time gap between the end of 1L exams and the start of a summer job. Would I have time to squeeze in my wedding, say, at the end of May? How much variability is there among start dates for summer jobs? When is a typical summer-after-1L job start date?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 am

PMan99 wrote:
redlongzl wrote:Thanks for your reply!

Thanks!

If you're looking for a single, the standard North room and the 1 BR Suite in Hastings are about the same price. The good part about North is that you get your own bathroom/shower in your room, which is really nice - both for privacy and just for making things easy. The Hastings rooms are significantly bigger, although you get a full bed in North and only a twin in Hastings. Also North has elevators so you don't have a multi-story walkup every time you need to go to or from your room. From what I can remember there's probably more strain on the Hastings kitchens and laundry rooms (meaning more crowded) than in North as well. North has a kitchen on every floor, Hastings has a kitchen in the basement.

For location, Hastings is right on campus so you have a ~1 minute walk out of your door to WCC, whereas North is two blocks away. This may be a factor to some people, but if you're someone who likes to cook for yourself it also means that North a few blocks closer to the only supermarkets around HLS.

Is cooking really that hard in Hastings? Do most HLS students just do take-out or whatnot then? Hastings looks AMAZING but I dunno about this whole food situation at HLS

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:44 am

smorgs2010 wrote:Hello kind HLS students,

I am planning my wedding - got engaged three weeks before getting into HLS, and February 2013 officially became the best month of my entire life life - and I wanted to know about the time gap between the end of 1L exams and the start of a summer job. Would I have time to squeeze in my wedding, say, at the end of May? How much variability is there among start dates for summer jobs? When is a typical summer-after-1L job start date?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

This depends--some places require 10 weeks, but most are cool with 8. And most are pretty cool at letting you take a day off (so, the Friday off) for something like your own wedding. 1L finals usually end around May 15 and EIP as early as August 10th ish. I started my summer job May 21st, but other interns didn't show till May 29th. Memorial Day weekend will probably work.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 am

What are your guys' thoughts on January Term. Cool or irrelevant?

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 am

Yukos wrote:What are your guys' thoughts on January Term. Cool or irrelevant?
Bit of both. PSW is nice, but not fun. 2L J term was an easy and interesting way to knock off three credits but an exam after a three week course is not fun.

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:29 am

ph14 wrote:

1. Bad at law school, don't like law school: Chicago. . .

2. Good at law school, don't like law school: Chicago. . .

3. Bad at law school, do like law school: Closer, but i'd probably take Chicago here. . .

4. Good at law school, do like law school: This is the only scenario, really, where I see Harvard winning here. . .

Thus, I think the safer choice is Chicago, and the scenario that maximizes your expected utility.

I'd agree with this analysis, but with this (very important I think) caveat: if you're deeply committed to PI, HLS is probably your best bet in all scenarios. Why do I think this?

First, LIPP will cover your loans in any public service job (non-profit, academia, government), even if the job is not law-related. This is, in my opinion, what puts LIPP on a totally different tier than other LRAP's, and is one of the main reasons I chose HLS over full ride offers at other T14 schools that made more sense for me geographically and personally. You just don't know if you're going to like law before you start doing it, and personally I'd like to have the flexibility to lateral into other work if I find practicing law doesn't suit me after a few years.

Second, HLS has two native public interest fellowship programs that fund (depending on the program) up to two years of post-graduate public interest employment. One of these is the "public service venture fund," which is for two years and also does not require you to do law-related work. These fellowships are worth weighing because you compete for them only against other HLS students -- unlike the Skadden or EJW fellowships, where you're competing with students from the rest of the T14 (plus many other excellent schools).

Third, HLS has a dedicated and well-resourced career services office for public interest-oriented students (it's called OPIA). This includes a dedicated fellowships advisor who knows everyone in the universe and who will stop at nothing (NOTHING!) to help you get a public service fellowship.

Fourth, HLS is big, which means there are enough PI students to form a critical mass. With a critical mass of PI students, you can mostly avoid BigLaw students in your social life (after 1L anyway -- but everyone's sweet and optimistic 1L year anyways). And with a critical mass of PI students, you also get course offerings pitched at PI students. My favorite example: "Housing Law" (for public interest oriented students) and "Real Estate Law" (for BigLaw oriented students).

Fifth, HLS has a huge amount of clinics. You can do 4 semesters of clinical work if you want to without much of a problem.

(Obviously someone who's weighing Chicago at all is probably NOT PI-oriented, but I wanted to post this as a public service. It's more relevant for people weighing HLS v. YLS/SLS/NYU

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:36 am

read2465 wrote:I'm going to be moving a family and two very small dogs to Cambridge. We've lived there before and know how hard it is to find pet friendly housing, so I'm trying to get a head start on that.

We'll be wanting a pet-friendly two bedroom reasonably close to the law school--preferably Huron Village or Davis Square, but definitely open to other options that aren't going to run us past the $2200 (at the very highest!) mark.

I suppose my question is this: Is there any sort of forum for current gradating students to post up their apartments? We'd love to sublet from someone who needs to leave before September. Ideally we'd move in sometime in July or August. I'm going to the April ASW--is there some sort of bulletin board on campus to look for these types of things? Do private landlords post anywhere on campus?

I've got kids. My advice: live in Somerville (away from Davis Sq.) or Arlington. Parts of Somerville are a 20-minute walk from HLS. The 77 bus gets you down from Arlington in a hurry -- especially if you live near Mass Ave. in the south end of Arlington, you're not much farther than Davis. Watertown is another possibility that's slightly farther away, and Belmont a little farther than that.

If you can stand an extra 10 minutes by bus or bike, you can save thousands of dollars over the course of the year and get a bigger place. Also, in my experience, there are just more families living in those towns (especially Arlington, Watertown, and Belmont) than in Cambridge. You feel like less of an anomaly.

It's such a pain to move with kids we decided to just stick it out in our Cambridge apartment, but if I could do it again I'd find somewhere in Somerville or Arlington. Just my two cents.

guano

Postby guano » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:38 am

Does anyone have a leg/reg outline, or other useful material?
I have a friend at a school that just introduced the class and is struggling with it.
Thanks

read2465

Postby read2465 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 am

Last edited by read2465 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”