Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lovely Ludwig Van

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:02 am

This has probably been discussed somewhere in this thread, but anyone have any additional advice on how to build solid relationships with professors? I've heard so much about the importance of having professors "go to bat for you" on things like clerkships, prestigious fellowships, academia, and some law jobs.

What's the best way to go about building these relationships (i.e. visiting office hours, hanging around after lecture, emailing, etc.)?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:04 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:This has probably been discussed somewhere in this thread, but anyone have any additional advice on how to build solid relationships with professors? I've heard so much about the importance of having professors "go to bat for you" on things like clerkships, prestigious fellowships, academia, and some law jobs.

What's the best way to go about building these relationships (i.e. visiting office hours, hanging around after lecture, emailing, etc.)?

Be a research assistant.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 am

ph14 wrote:Be a research assistant.

Any idea when the best time to RA is? I'm assuming you'd wanting to be doing something other than RA-ing for 1L summer. Also, realistically speaking, how many solid LORs would you need to generate a competitive federal clerkship application cycle?

Thanks!

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
ph14 wrote:Be a research assistant.

Any idea when the best time to RA is? I'm assuming you'd wanting to be doing something other than RA-ing for 1L summer. Also, realistically speaking, how many solid LORs would you need to generate a competitive federal clerkship application cycle?

Thanks!

Hmm, you can start as a 2L and be fine. Some people do it 1L year but that's tough in my opinion. It depends, like everything, but you want to aim for 3 letters of recommendation. You could also consider taking a seminar too, because the professor will get to know you due to the small class size, participation requirements (generally), and the paper you have to write (some more supervised than others).

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:57 pm

yarsten wrote:
dcg2120 wrote:
yarsten wrote:Quick question, as housing applications open tomorrow (kind of):
Anyone living in Harvard University Housing (HUH)? Is it pretty hard to get a good place? Can you rent for just the academic year or is it year-round? I have a family of three and would hate to try and sublet, obviously.

Wait--I thought they're not open until April 1st? https://hahls.law.harvard.edu/StarRezPo ... lvAA%2b26c

...or is it some kind of crazy preemptive April Fools joke? :shock:

You can create an application starting 3/1, then it has to be approved and then you can look for housing, with the view/select windows starting in May or something. Definitely no need to worry for a while, I was just curious.

Edit: I hadn't even looked at your link. That's strange... I got my info from an email and from here

The HUH application is up today, the HLS housing app for incoming students is up April 1 (but is already up for current students). They are two separate housing systems. I filled out the HUH application today; I hope I get a good view and select time!

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Re: grading, just a 1L here, but I had a professor offhandedly tell me he gives 0-2 DSs per 1L class

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Re: grading, just a 1L here, but I had a professor offhandedly tell me he gives 0-2 DSs per 1L class

Yeah. I get the sense that probably the average professor gives 2-4 DS per 1L class.

smorgs2010

Postby smorgs2010 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Did anywhere here choose Harvard over a full tuition (or close to full tuition) scholarship at another T14? Do you think it was the right decision? Any Harvard vs. large scholarship advice would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone here, by any chance, turn down the Frank Rothman scholarship for Harvard? (I know it's a long shot, but I thought I'd ask.)

Thanks so much in advance!

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:54 pm

smorgs2010 wrote:Did anywhere here choose Harvard over a full tuition (or close to full tuition) scholarship at another T14? Do you think it was the right decision? Any Harvard vs. large scholarship advice would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone here, by any chance, turn down the Frank Rothman scholarship for Harvard? (I know it's a long shot, but I thought I'd ask.)

If you search the choosing a law school forum you will find all sorts of H v. D ($$$) etc. try the search feature search only that forum and Harvard in the title (not saying you won't get help here but that may be faster.

smorgs2010

Postby smorgs2010 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:02 pm

wert3813 wrote:
smorgs2010 wrote:Did anywhere here choose Harvard over a full tuition (or close to full tuition) scholarship at another T14? Do you think it was the right decision? Any Harvard vs. large scholarship advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you search the choosing a law school forum you will find all sorts of H v. D ($$$) etc. try the search feature search only that forum and Harvard in the title (not saying you won't get help here but that may be faster.

Thank you - I'm aware of that, but those threads seem dominated by 0Ls speculating and it can difficult to find helpful responses. I started a thread there nonetheless about the Rothman (why not?), but I really wanted to hear from an actual Harvard student who made that decision, and how they feel about it. Actually, ideally I could talk to a Harvard graduate about it.

Regardless, I'm leaning Harvard right now - thanks to all the students on this thread offering all this great advice!

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 pm

smorgs2010 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

Thank you - I'm aware of that, but those threads seem dominated by 0Ls speculating and it can difficult to find helpful responses. I started a thread there nonetheless about the Rothman (why not?), but I really wanted to hear from an actual Harvard student who made that decision, and how they feel about it. Actually, ideally I could talk to a Harvard graduate about it.

Regardless, I'm leaning Harvard right now - thanks to all the students on this thread offering all this great advice!

In that case I think you are going to be better off saying what offers you have. Big difference b/w full tuition at G'town, Penn, CLS etc.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:06 pm

I turned down full tuition throughout a lot of the top-10 for (Full-tuition+stipend at Michigan and Berkeley were the front-runners for me within that group) and I know many others that did. Even know a few that turned down full tuition at Chicago and Columbia. My case was somewhat unique since I knew I would be getting max aid ($35k+/year) at Harvard. If my aid would've chosen elsewhere.

As far as it being a good decision, it is very difficult to say. I ended up getting offers across all four of the markets I applied in but really all you need is one. There is no way I would have gotten the offer I ended up accepting if I would have had the same rank I have at Harvard at a Michigan or Berkeley but whose to say I wouldn't have ended up with an offer at a different place that I was just as happy with. I don't really regret choosing Harvard but it is just impossible to define whether it was a good choice or not. I honestly don't think you are going to find anyone who can tell you. The people who took the money and are doing fine are going to tell you they dont regret it and the people who chose Harvard and ended up doing fine are going to say the same.

As far as the Rothman, I didn't apply to USC so I have no idea about the program or how the 1L SA at Skadden translates when it comes to full-time offers. If all you want is biglaw, are ok with the placement city, and the program pretty much guarantees a return as a 2L SA and a full-time offer I would say take it.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 pm

I think it totally depends on: a) what you want to do with your JD (LA biglaw? fed gov? academia?), and b) whether you will qualify for some/max aid at Harvard.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:49 am

I turned down a full-tuition scholarship at NYU to go to HLS, for a couple of reasons, but my case isn't comparable at all (I'm doing a JD/MPP, I'm not going into all that much debt, etc.).
Last edited by tomwatts on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:11 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:

I turned down full tuition throughout a lot of the top-10 for (Full-tuition+stipend at Michigan and Berkeley were the front-runners for me within that group) and I know many others that did. Even know a few that turned down full tuition at Chicago and Columbia. My case was somewhat unique since I knew I would be getting max aid ($35k+/year) at Harvard. If my aid would've chosen elsewhere.

As far as it being a good decision, it is very difficult to say. I ended up getting offers across all four of the markets I applied in but really all you need is one. There is no way I would have gotten the offer I ended up accepting if I would have had the same rank I have at Harvard at a Michigan or Berkeley but whose to say I wouldn't have ended up with an offer at a different place that I was just as happy with. I don't really regret choosing Harvard but it is just impossible to define whether it was a good choice or not. I honestly don't think you are going to find anyone who can tell you. The people who took the money and are doing fine are going to tell you they dont regret it and the people who chose Harvard and ended up doing fine are going to say the same.

As far as the Rothman, I didn't apply to USC so I have no idea about the program or how the 1L SA at Skadden translates when it comes to full-time offers. If all you want is biglaw, are ok with the placement city, and the program pretty much guarantees a return as a 2L SA and a full-time offer I would say take it.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm extremely debt adverse. I had full tuition offers from a lot of places (including Harvard, because of yellow ribbon program). I also was accepted at Yale but it would have been 45k more and that was more than enough to make my choice very easy. TBF I was leaning H anyway because of career interests but the 45K just sealed the deal for me. I hate debt and I love the fact I can do whatever I want and not worry about whether I'll be able to pay back the debt. I think USC v. H is a different scenario though. At some point you have to weigh debt v. likelihood of gaining permanent future employment.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Probably a long shot, but does anybody have any thoughts on a good supplement for Admin law? I'm in Sunstein's course right now, and currently understand about 5% of it.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:13 pm

PinkCow wrote:Probably a long shot, but does anybody have any thoughts on a good supplement for Admin law? I'm in Sunstein's course right now, and currently understand about 5% of it.
Don't know of a good supplement but FWIW, you're not alone.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:18 pm

sorry, i think this has been asked already, but i've searched around a bit and can't seem to find it -

trying to plan my summer flights; how necessary is the "intro" session day for EIP? OCS calls it mandatory, but is it really? it's on a friday and EIP starts the following monday, and i'd sure like to have that extra weekend if possible

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:sorry, i think this has been asked already, but i've searched around a bit and can't seem to find it -

trying to plan my summer flights; how necessary is the "intro" session day for EIP? OCS calls it mandatory, but is it really? it's on a friday and EIP starts the following monday, and i'd sure like to have that extra weekend if possible
It's decidedly NOT necessary. You shouldn't feel the least compunction about skipping it if it's inconvenient to fly back for that Friday.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:sorry, i think this has been asked already, but i've searched around a bit and can't seem to find it -

If you did your research, you should know all that info by then, so if it's sparkling new information for you by that point, god speed.

Hnin26

Postby Hnin26 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:43 am

Hi :D

Int'l applicant from Myanmar/Burma. Is there a way for me to get in touch with someone specific in Admissions?
I've tried looking everywhere for e-mails of people from Admissions and I couldn't find them anywhere. Maybe it's kept confidential so that they don't get bombarded with queries....
But HLS is my absolute No. 1 choice and I'd love to get a chance to talk to someone there to show my very strong interest.
Any directions? I've tried e-mailing the general Admissions address.

Advice is much appreciated!

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:47 am

Hnin26 wrote:Hi :D

Int'l applicant from Myanmar/Burma. Is there a way for me to get in touch with someone specific in Admissions?
I've tried looking everywhere for e-mails of people from Admissions and I couldn't find them anywhere. Maybe it's kept confidential so that they don't get bombarded with queries....
But HLS is my absolute No. 1 choice and I'd love to get a chance to talk to someone there to show my very strong interest.

e-mailing them will be seen as pestering. what you should focus on is increasing your lsat. given your gpa, it's extremely below the lsat floor.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:54 am

vzapana wrote:

e-mailing them will be seen as pestering. what you should focus on is increasing your lsat. given your gpa, it's extremely below the lsat floor.

It's Harvard. Everyone has very strong interest. What kind of URM are you? If you are Burmese that is not a URM.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31 pm

vzapana wrote:

Yeah, this. Being rejected at NYU does bode well for your chances at HLS.

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi Guys,

Not much of a law-school question, but I would love for people to weigh in. I'm a 0L and looking to buy a new computer. I know Harvard partners with different computer companies to offer discounts. What are those discounts like? Anyone have experience? Thank you!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”