Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Yukos wrote:A related question: the amount of units a class counts for is meaningless, since there's no GPA, right?


Well, it factors into latin honors I think. And maybe law review grade-ons.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Yukos » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:44 pm

ph14 wrote:
Yukos wrote:A related question: the amount of units a class counts for is meaningless, since there's no GPA, right?


Well, it factors into latin honors I think. And maybe law review grade-ons.


How do those work? Is there a formal way to calculate GPA based on H/Ps?

Thanks for your responses, really curious about this system.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Yukos wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Yukos wrote:A related question: the amount of units a class counts for is meaningless, since there's no GPA, right?


Well, it factors into latin honors I think. And maybe law review grade-ons.


How do those work? Is there a formal way to calculate GPA based on H/Ps?

Thanks for your responses, really curious about this system.


P = 3.0
H = 4.0
DS = 5.0

Weighted by the number of credits and then averaged.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Yukos » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:14 pm

ph14 wrote:
Yukos wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Yukos wrote:A related question: the amount of units a class counts for is meaningless, since there's no GPA, right?


Well, it factors into latin honors I think. And maybe law review grade-ons.


How do those work? Is there a formal way to calculate GPA based on H/Ps?

Thanks for your responses, really curious about this system.


P = 3.0
H = 4.0
DS = 5.0

Weighted by the number of credits and then averaged.


Oh, so you can really easily calculate your GPA. Funny that employers still just go with "count the Hs" then.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:00 pm

For latin honors, every year's GPA is calculated separately and then 3 years are averaged.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:For latin honors, every year's GPA is calculated separately and then 3 years are averaged.


Oh, that's a weird way of calculating it that minimizes credits. That doesn't make any sense to calculate it that way.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Yukos » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:06 pm

ph14 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:For latin honors, every year's GPA is calculated separately and then 3 years are averaged.


How would that change anything?


If you take a lot of credits one year and very few the next, this method would lessen the importance of the first year and raise the importance of the second.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Yukos wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:For latin honors, every year's GPA is calculated separately and then 3 years are averaged.


How would that change anything?


If you take a lot of credits one year and very few the next, this method would lessen the importance of the first year and raise the importance of the second.


Yeah, just realized that's what he meant. That sounds incredibly stupid to me, but whatever.

User avatar
contrapositive1
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:49 pm

what class is the hardest?

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:03 am

Fed courts.

User avatar
Ballislife
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:43 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Ballislife » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Has anyone heard any good reviews about the elective Business Strategy for Lawyers taught by Kathryn Spier?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Ballislife wrote:Has anyone heard any good reviews about the elective Business Strategy for Lawyers taught by Kathryn Spier?


I'm in it now so obviously can't comment on how it is yet, but I had her for Anal Meth a year ago and she was good/nice. She's straightforward, moves a bit slow through the materials. Not too much reading and asks for volunteers/does not really cold call.

Class is not very intense, but does require regular attendance (we have weekly "quizzes" that are really just attendance/reading checks -- very easy). It is practical and, I assume, what a class over at the b-school would feel like (one of the ones that is not too quantitatively focused).

Mista Bojangles
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Ballislife wrote:Has anyone heard any good reviews about the elective Business Strategy for Lawyers taught by Kathryn Spier?


I'm in it now so obviously can't comment on how it is yet, but I had her for Anal Meth a year ago and she was good/nice. She's straightforward, moves a bit slow through the materials. Not too much reading and asks for volunteers/does not really cold call.

Class is not very intense, but does require regular attendance (we have weekly "quizzes" that are really just attendance/reading checks -- very easy). It is practical and, I assume, what a class over at the b-school would feel like (one of the ones that is not too quantitatively focused).


wow. where can i get some of that

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
Ballislife wrote:Has anyone heard any good reviews about the elective Business Strategy for Lawyers taught by Kathryn Spier?


I'm in it now so obviously can't comment on how it is yet, but I had her for Anal Meth a year ago and she was good/nice. She's straightforward, moves a bit slow through the materials. Not too much reading and asks for volunteers/does not really cold call.

Class is not very intense, but does require regular attendance (we have weekly "quizzes" that are really just attendance/reading checks -- very easy). It is practical and, I assume, what a class over at the b-school would feel like (one of the ones that is not too quantitatively focused).


wow. where can i get some of that
You can take it this semester with me and Cope.

bigbang
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby bigbang » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm

GRADES ARE UP ON HELIOS!!

Does anyone know what a "H*" means (as opposed to H)?? Is that a DS or something else??

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:33 pm

bigbang wrote:GRADES ARE UP ON HELIOS!!

Does anyone know what a "H*" means (as opposed to H)?? Is that a DS or something else??


Its a ds. I think its a bug it should say underneath that it is a deans scholar prize.

bigbang
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby bigbang » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:37 pm

ph14 wrote:
bigbang wrote:GRADES ARE UP ON HELIOS!!

Does anyone know what a "H*" means (as opposed to H)?? Is that a DS or something else??


Its a ds. I think its a bug it should say underneath that it is a deans scholar prize.

Oh wow, thank you! That's awesome :)

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:47 pm

is it useless to calculate after 1 semester? What's median?

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:is it useless to calculate after 1 semester? What's median?
After one semester, counting Hs should be enough. Calculation is really only relevant to latin honors anyway, apparently.

Mista Bojangles
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:09 pm

if i did well, is it worth shooting transcripts to summer 1L applications i've already sent off, even if they didn't request them?

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:if i did well, is it worth shooting transcripts to summer 1L applications i've already sent off, even if they didn't request them?


Yes. Absolutely.

KindleNexusfan
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby KindleNexusfan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 pm

being the sick sort of person that I am, the only question on my mind now is: when do J-term grades come out?

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:14 pm

delusional wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:is it useless to calculate after 1 semester? What's median?
After one semester, counting Hs should be enough. Calculation is really only relevant to latin honors anyway, apparently.


How many H's is median after 1 semester? Seems impossible to determine...

bigbang
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby bigbang » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
delusional wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:is it useless to calculate after 1 semester? What's median?
After one semester, counting Hs should be enough. Calculation is really only relevant to latin honors anyway, apparently.


How many H's is median after 1 semester? Seems impossible to determine...

I think it's pretty hard to determine after 1 semester... I thought median was something like 3-4 H's per year, but I could be wrong.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
delusional wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:is it useless to calculate after 1 semester? What's median?
After one semester, counting Hs should be enough. Calculation is really only relevant to latin honors anyway, apparently.


How many H's is median after 1 semester? Seems impossible to determine...
It probably is impossible, when you consider that median is likely three Hs, and there are likely a plurality of the class at median, most of whom will have a 1/2 or 2/1 distribution over the two semesters.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests