Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ph14

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 am

Blessedassurance wrote:Grades coming out tomorrow?

Didn't someone earlier say Monday, 1/28?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:10 am

ph14 wrote:

Probably but there are strong rumors for tomorrow, probably because there's a computer outage thing tomorrow. Could be wrong but tomorrow or Friday seem like strong contenders.

edit: "tomorrow" as in today (Thursday). Outage scheduled for like two hours.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Probably but there are strong rumors for tomorrow, probably because there's a computer outage thing tomorrow. Could be wrong but tomorrow or Friday seem like strong contenders.

For some reason I don't think they are going to pull that two semesters in a row. Plus last time it was the entire iSite or something and this is just account management. I just don't think they're going to release last semesters grades in the midst of this semester's finals. That could mess with everyone's heads. I think that's why last year at least it came out after winter term.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:17 am

ph14 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
ph14 wrote:

For some reason I don't think they are going to pull that two semesters in a row. Plus last time it was the entire iSite or something and this is just account management. I just don't think they're going to release last semesters grades in the midst of this semester's finals. That could mess with everyone's heads. I think that's why last year at least it came out after winter term.
Yeah, seems too soon. Also, last time the email came from the registrar, this time it came from somewhere else. It seems unlikely that there's a vast conspiracy between IT and the registrar to fool everyone about grades.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 am

delusional wrote:Yeah, seems too soon. Also, last time the email came from the registrar, this time it came from somewhere else. It seems unlikely that there's a vast conspiracy between IT and the registrar to fool everyone about grades.

That's fine. I'm not really dying to get grades. They can take their time. Some people seem convinced it's coming out tomorrow. I'm sure it's just a silly rumor.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
delusional wrote:Yeah, seems too soon. Also, last time the email came from the registrar, this time it came from somewhere else. It seems unlikely that there's a vast conspiracy between IT and the registrar to fool everyone about grades.

That's fine. I'm not really dying to get grades. They can take their time. Some people seem convinced it's coming out tomorrow. I'm sure it's just a silly rumor.

Are these people 1Ls?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am

ph14 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Are these people 1Ls?

yeah. the 1l winter term ends tomorrow so that could be fueling the rumors but I agree they probably wouldn't release it tomorrow.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:29 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Are these people 1Ls?

yeah. the 1l winter term ends tomorrow so that could be fueling the rumors but I agree they probably wouldn't release it tomorrow.

Sounds like 1Lphrenzia. I'd love to be wrong though.

Also, last year, at least some BSAs emailed 1Ls the day prior to grades being released to give them a heads up. I'd imagine something similar will happen this year.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:14 pm

The outage last summer was helios, where grades are posted. Todays's outage is for a seldom-used part of isites, where no grades are posted. I call rumour.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 pm

ph14 wrote:
Also, last year, at least some BSAs emailed 1Ls the day prior to grades being released to give them a heads up. I'd imagine something similar will happen this year.

Yea, they made such a big production about grades being released last year. The surprises will come in the summer, 1Ls, you'll know when this one's coming.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:29 pm

So to the 2Ls and 3Ls out there...did any of you have an issue with employers growing increasingly frustrated with you because your grades weren't released until much later than other law schools?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:So to the 2Ls and 3Ls out there...did any of you have an issue with employers growing increasingly frustrated with you because your grades weren't released until much later than other law schools?

No. I did have a few places I applied to fill up before my grades came out but for the most part it wasn't an issue, and especially wasn't for firm jobs.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 pm

also, a bunch of people have already gotten positions without grades...including firms etc.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:So to the 2Ls and 3Ls out there...did any of you have an issue with employers growing increasingly frustrated with you because your grades weren't released until much later than other law schools?

My employer never asked for my grades. 8)

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:58 pm

Looks like they posted the spiel on grades yesterday (look, this guy got a SCOTUS clerkship with a D in con law! you can too!). Guess it wasn't as coordinated as last time, when the day that was handed out was the day grades were released.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:03 pm

the boomer nonsense is always a nice touch

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:08 pm

ph14 wrote:Looks like they posted the spiel on grades yesterday (look, this guy got a SCOTUS clerkship with a D in con law! you can too!). Guess it wasn't as coordinated as last time, when the day that was handed out was the day grades were released.
My main selling point when I apply to Kagan's seminar next fall is going to be that I also did poorly first semester so we're like BFFs.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:46 pm

ph14 wrote:Looks like they posted the spiel on grades yesterday (look, this guy got a SCOTUS clerkship with a D in con law! you can too!). Guess it wasn't as coordinated as last time, when the day that was handed out was the day grades were released.

So if I get a LP in Con Law that makes me a shoe-in for a pithy retort with a Supreme Court Justice?

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Generally speaking which is more time-consuming / difficult / shittier, the Fall or Spring version of LRW?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Generally speaking which is more time-consuming / difficult / shittier, the Fall or Spring version of LRW?

They're about the same, i'd say. First semester there's obviously the "first time doing this" learning curve. But the assignments aren't too hard and one is closed universe. Second semester you have to navigate working with a partner (which can be a plus or a minus depending on your partner), making arguments based on the case law in an open-ended universe, which I think can be tougher. But you only have to write like 10 pages yourself all semester since the brief is 20 pages and there are 2 people on it. Don't expect it to be much easier or harder.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Really hoping grades are out Monday.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:03 pm

ph14 wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:Generally speaking which is more time-consuming / difficult / shittier, the Fall or Spring version of LRW?

They're about the same, i'd say. First semester there's obviously the "first time doing this" learning curve. But the assignments aren't too hard and one is closed universe. Second semester you have to navigate working with a partner (which can be a plus or a minus depending on your partner), making arguments based on the case law in an open-ended universe, which I think can be tougher. But you only have to write like 10 pages yourself all semester since the brief is 20 pages and there are 2 people on it. Don't expect it to be much easier or harder.

Meh. For some reason I was expecting it to be easier or at least slightly more fun this time around. Also w/r/t LRW, come EIP time or generally for jobs, is an LRW grade half as meaningful b/c it's just two credits vs four? Or do employers tend to value it fully as much as other 1L classes?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Meh. For some reason I was expecting it to be easier or at least slightly more fun this time around. Also w/r/t LRW, come EIP time or generally for jobs, is an LRW grade half as meaningful b/c it's just two credits vs four? Or do employers tend to value it fully as much as other 1L classes?

I think employers tend to value it as much as other 1L classes. I think they just count Hs. But I've only been on the student side so that is purely speculation.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:26 pm

ph14 wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I think employers tend to value it as much as other 1L classes. I think they just count Hs. But I've only been on the student side so that is purely speculation.

Also not necessarily what I hoped to hear, but it sorta makes sense given that LRW seems to stress the skills that I'd guess are most critical for firm work, so maybe that counterbalances the lower credit weight. Thanks for your thoughts

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:28 pm

A related question: the amount of units a class counts for is meaningless, since there's no GPA, right?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”