Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby PinkCow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:59 pm

So...how discretionary are those LPs... As in ~30 person courses...


...

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:32 pm

PinkCow wrote:So...how discretionary are those LPs... As in ~30 person courses...


...


I think you'd have to do really bad to get an LP. Like bordering on bad faith bad.

User avatar
laurathenerd
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:48 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby laurathenerd » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 pm

englawyer wrote:http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/policy/packaging.html

$42k mandatory loans per year

up to the rest can be grants (75-42=33)

so your best case scenario is: 42k loans, 33k grant. worst case is 75k loan.



But remember, you might not need the full 75k (I lived in Somerville with roommates and saved a ton of money on rent, for example). So the year I got the full 33k grant (yay for impoverished parents!), I also took out the full loan, and then cut a check right back to the government for $17k or whatever I didn't need. I asked the financial aid office at HLS about whether or not this was a good idea, and they basically said yes. So yeah, it costs you the service fees or whatever, but it's better than racking up all the interest on a bunch of money you don't need.

If your parents' financial situation drastically changed in the past year, then HLS will do a mid-year review and might up your grant. I doubt this is something that happens very often, but unfortunately for my parents (and fortunately for me, I guess) their income went from decent to $0 in one year, so HLS did a mid-year review of my financial situation in the middle of my 1L year and jacked up the grant.

I think the average student with demonstrated need gets around 12-14k, but that's just my best guess. It's hard to know anyone's exact financial situation, so it's not like it's something people talk about. Also, keep in mind that parental contributions still count even if you're married. It's a fair process, but they are going to want ALL of your financial information and ALL of your parents' financial information, unless you're 30 (I think that's the age limit).

lc.
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lc. » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:58 pm

With my parent's financial situation, I don't expect any financial aid. However, they won't be paying for any of my law school and the thought of $200,000 in loans is pretty terrifying. I have been invited to apply for full-tuition scholarships at other T-14, but none that I would like to attend as much as Harvard. Was (is) anyone else in this situation and do you have any advice?

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby englawyer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:04 pm

laurathenerd wrote:
englawyer wrote:http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/policy/packaging.html

$42k mandatory loans per year

up to the rest can be grants (75-42=33)

so your best case scenario is: 42k loans, 33k grant. worst case is 75k loan.



But remember, you might not need the full 75k (I lived in Somerville with roommates and saved a ton of money on rent, for example). So the year I got the full 33k grant (yay for impoverished parents!), I also took out the full loan, and then cut a check right back to the government for $17k or whatever I didn't need. I asked the financial aid office at HLS about whether or not this was a good idea, and they basically said yes. So yeah, it costs you the service fees or whatever, but it's better than racking up all the interest on a bunch of money you don't need.

If your parents' financial situation drastically changed in the past year, then HLS will do a mid-year review and might up your grant. I doubt this is something that happens very often, but unfortunately for my parents (and fortunately for me, I guess) their income went from decent to $0 in one year, so HLS did a mid-year review of my financial situation in the middle of my 1L year and jacked up the grant.

I think the average student with demonstrated need gets around 12-14k, but that's just my best guess. It's hard to know anyone's exact financial situation, so it's not like it's something people talk about. Also, keep in mind that parental contributions still count even if you're married. It's a fair process, but they are going to want ALL of your financial information and ALL of your parents' financial information, unless you're 30 (I think that's the age limit).


very true. the $19.5k room/board/personal for 9 months is kinda excessive ($2100/month). a reasonably frugal person could clock in as low as 1300/mo i would guess (gropius = $700/mo , food = $50/week = $200 /mo still leaving $400 for other). however, its probably about accurate for someone that wants a 1 BR off campus.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby sinfiery » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 am

Does applying late hurt your grant award amount?

Sorry if it's been covered, I wish they had a search this topic feature.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:12 am

sinfiery wrote:Does applying late hurt your grant award amount?

Sorry if it's been covered, I wish they had a search this topic feature.


Unless they're lying to us, no.

lc. wrote:With my parent's financial situation, I don't expect any financial aid. However, they won't be paying for any of my law school and the thought of $200,000 in loans is pretty terrifying. I have been invited to apply for full-tuition scholarships at other T-14, but none that I would like to attend as much as Harvard. Was (is) anyone else in this situation and do you have any advice?


Apply to them, decide later. Spend time next semester visiting the schools, talking to people who go there, etc. I got 65K from NYU that I turned down, which I think was definitely worth it, but I dunno at a full ride.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby sinfiery » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:16 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Unless they're lying to us, no.

Appreciate it

JedBartlett
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby JedBartlett » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:59 pm

So how long does it take to accept that you've been accepted to HLS? It's been one month exactly and I've already enrolled, but I'm still having a hard time believing it!

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:56 pm

JedBartlett wrote:So how long does it take to accept that you've been accepted to HLS? It's been one month exactly and I've already enrolled, but I'm still having a hard time believing it!


When you realize what you signed up for.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:11 pm

ph14 wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:So how long does it take to accept that you've been accepted to HLS? It's been one month exactly and I've already enrolled, but I'm still having a hard time believing it!


When you realize what you signed up for.


:lol:

Buck up young camper, it's 2L. If you haven't done shameful things at the Kong, you aren't doing it right.

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby pupshaw » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:12 am

So what's the timeline for getting grades back? After winter term?

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:14 am

cerealdan wrote:So what's the timeline for getting grades back? After winter term?
Three days into spring term. Last semester it was Thursday, the first week of spring term. I still remember where I was at the time...

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:36 pm

delusional wrote:
cerealdan wrote:So what's the timeline for getting grades back? After winter term?
Three days into spring term. Last semester it was Thursday, the first week of spring term. I still remember where I was at the time...


And prepared to have the registrar LIE to you about it. They LIED to us about it during the summer. I was so annoyed. (simply because I don't like being lied to by the administration).

(And before you throw the meme up, yes, I mad).

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:06 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
delusional wrote:
cerealdan wrote:So what's the timeline for getting grades back? After winter term?
Three days into spring term. Last semester it was Thursday, the first week of spring term. I still remember where I was at the time...


And prepared to have the registrar LIE to you about it. They LIED to us about it during the summer. I was so annoyed. (simply because I don't like being lied to by the administration).

(And before you throw the meme up, yes, I mad).

Lie about what? When we'll get the grades?

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
delusional wrote:
cerealdan wrote:So what's the timeline for getting grades back? After winter term?
Three days into spring term. Last semester it was Thursday, the first week of spring term. I still remember where I was at the time...


And prepared to have the registrar LIE to you about it. They LIED to us about it during the summer. I was so annoyed. (simply because I don't like being lied to by the administration).

(And before you throw the meme up, yes, I mad).

Lie about what? When we'll get the grades?
Yerp. I actually thought it was cute. They sent out an email saying "helios down, will be up wednesday afternoon. BTW, grades will be posted on Friday." Then, when helios was back up (wednesday), the grades were posted.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:06 pm

delusional wrote:Yerp. I actually thought it was cute. They sent out an email saying "helios down, will be up wednesday afternoon. BTW, grades will be posted on Friday." Then, when helios was back up (wednesday), the grades were posted.


I remember talking to a friend being like "helios maintenance probably a lie, grades will probably be posted then...but would they really lie to us?"

Tbf, from what I saw during EIP, grades weren't actually that important outside of D.C.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:29 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
delusional wrote:Yerp. I actually thought it was cute. They sent out an email saying "helios down, will be up wednesday afternoon. BTW, grades will be posted on Friday." Then, when helios was back up (wednesday), the grades were posted.


I remember talking to a friend being like "helios maintenance probably a lie, grades will probably be posted then...but would they really lie to us?"

Tbf, from what I saw during EIP, grades weren't actually that important outside of D.C.
oooh that burns...

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:43 pm

delusional wrote:oooh that burns...


burns..?

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:54 pm

.
Last edited by delusional on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:07 pm

.

User avatar
honeybadger12
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby honeybadger12 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Recent admit - Are there external scholarships for law school (like Fastweb in undergrad) and are any worth applying for?

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:33 pm

honeybadger12 wrote:Recent admit - Are there external scholarships for law school (like Fastweb in undergrad) and are any worth applying for?


Yes, and it depends on the value of your time and the likelihood of you winning a scholarship.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Holy whaaa...this thread is still alive? hahaha wow!

User avatar
honeybadger12
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby honeybadger12 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:50 pm

ph14 wrote:
honeybadger12 wrote:Recent admit - Are there external scholarships for law school (like Fastweb in undergrad) and are any worth applying for?


Yes, and it depends on the value of your time and the likelihood of you winning a scholarship.

These are for current students, right? Did any of you get scholarships for your 1L year?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests