Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thelawschoolproject

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 am

On that note, which professors are more willing to see you in office hours/write LORs/would be good for mentoring/making relationships, etc?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:On that note, which professors are more willing to see you in office hours/write LORs/would be good for mentoring/making relationships, etc?

PM me you you are deciding between and I can tell you what I know, if I know anything. There are too many professors to just answer this abstractly.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm

ph14 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:On that note, which professors are more willing to see you in office hours/write LORs/would be good for mentoring/making relationships, etc?

PM me you you are deciding between and I can tell you what I know, if I know anything. There are too many professors to just answer this abstractly.

Plus, some are some of those things and not others. I have a mentor who is great, but said prof is also not that great at responding to e-mails and has jam-packed office hours.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Where can I find the latest course evaluations?

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Where can I find the latest course evaluations?

https://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/curriculum/secure/index.html

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Plus, some are some of those things and not others. I have a mentor who is great, but said prof is also not that great at responding to e-mails and has jam-packed office hours.

Credited.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:47 pm

What is Harvard's social scene like? What would you say the atmosphere of the school is like?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 pm

JedBartlett wrote:What is Harvard's social scene like? What would you say the atmosphere of the school is like?

Because of it's size, there isn't one "social scene." It's whatever you want it to be.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:37 pm

could someone tell me how to use the mail merge function on NALP? Like, what does it actually do? Im just so confused

do i have to pay money for it, it says its like 60 cents for each firm?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 am

ph14 wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:What is Harvard's social scene like? What would you say the atmosphere of the school is like?

Because of it's size, there isn't one "social scene." It's whatever you want it to be.

This. I've spent time with and around several different types of "social scenes" at HLS: the type that likes to play board games & watch movies & play video game, the type that likes to party hard several nights a week, the type that tends to like to just chill in someone's living room with a beer while watching football, etc. You'll find what you're looking for.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:48 am

acrossthelake wrote:
ph14 wrote:

This. I've spent time with and around several different types of "social scenes" at HLS: the type that likes to play board games & watch movies & play video game, the type that likes to party hard several nights a week, the type that tends to like to just chill in someone's living room with a beer while watching football, etc. You'll find what you're looking for.

Great, thanks guys. I have my JS1 coming up, so I thought it'd be good to have some sense.

bigbang

Postby bigbang » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Do you guys have recommendations on studying for exams without practice tests? I have one visiting professor and she has never taught this exact class before, so she doesn't even have past exams to give us. She did give us a practice exam that she made up, but said the real exam would be longer and more complex. Any tips?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:34 pm

bigbang wrote:Do you guys have recommendations on studying for exams without practice tests? I have one visiting professor and she has never taught this exact class before, so she doesn't even have past exams to give us. She did give us a practice exam that she made up, but said the real exam would be longer and more complex. Any tips?

Get practice exams from other professors who have taught the same course. Although professor-specific exams are the best, exams from the same class are the next best option. And for the most part, a civ pro exam will be focusing on the same or similar issues: personal jurisdiction, subject matter jurisdiction, venue, preclusion, etc.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:47 pm

JS1 done. Thanks for the help guys. Whatever happens, Harvard is definitely an awesome place.

FYI: JS confirmed what all of you said about the social scene--apparently you guys even have a new pub on campus. Pretty cool.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:31 pm

JedBartlett wrote:JS1 done. Thanks for the help guys. Whatever happens, Harvard is definitely an awesome place.

FYI: JS confirmed what all of you said about the social scene--apparently you guys even have a new pub on campus. Pretty cool.

Not on campus actually in the law school, with a pool table and TVs.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:36 pm

I am a pretty big fan of the Wasserstein building. It may have cost $15 trillion dollars or whatever, but it was worth it.

Um, and not just because of the pub.

JedBartlett

Postby JedBartlett » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:59 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:JS1 done. Thanks for the help guys. Whatever happens, Harvard is definitely an awesome place.

Not on campus actually in the law school, with a pool table and TVs.

Even cooler.

SamSpade

Postby SamSpade » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:20 am

Can I take a One-Day-Take-Home exam in another country?

I have a MacBook (like 90% of HLS) and will have an OK internet connection. Exam4 is already installed.

chickenalfredo

Postby chickenalfredo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:04 am

Anyone heard anything about Nesson's American Jury class?

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:49 am

chickenalfredo wrote:Anyone heard anything about Nesson's American Jury class?

I heard he once gave a final exam that included going to the big portrait of Oliver Wendell Holmes in Hauser and doing a seance with him

delusional

Postby delusional » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
chickenalfredo wrote:Anyone heard anything about Nesson's American Jury class?

I heard he once gave a final exam that included going to the big portrait of Oliver Wendell Holmes in Hauser and doing a seance with him

I think a significant portion of his last exam was on the movie "Twelve Angry Men". People think he's awesome, but don't want to take evidence, a doctrinal course, with him because he's so eccentric. So it seems like American Jury is a good compromise. I have a friend who took it, and I didn't get specifics from him, but he seemed to love Nesson and like the course.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:07 pm

Anyone know a bit about the LLM joint degree program with Cambridge? There's some good info for it online, but the site doesn't give any real info on how selective the program is. Sounds like you apply at the end of your fall 2L semester, so you'd have a year's worth of grades - any insight into how competitive it is to get in?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:19 pm

SamSpade wrote:Can I take a One-Day-Take-Home exam in another country?

I have a MacBook (like 90% of HLS) and will have an OK internet connection. Exam4 is already installed.

As long as you make sure to get it in by the deadline of EST, I don't see why not.

efresh88

Postby efresh88 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Just got my JS2 yesterday! From reading Harvard's financial aid website, they state that they do not give any merit-based scholarships, only need-based. Does anyone have numbers on the average amount of need-based grants given out per student whose demonstrated need exceeds the base loan? (forgive my ignorance if this is something easily found)

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 pm

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... aging.html

$42k mandatory loans per year

up to the rest can be grants (75-42=33)

so your best case scenario is: 42k loans, 33k grant. worst case is 75k loan.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”