Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mista Bojangles

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Any decent Mexican food near campus? I'm from Southern California and grew up eating delicious greasy tacos in hole in the wall Mexican joints, far and away my favorite cuisine. Will I be out of luck on that front at HLS?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:35 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:Thanks

Also regarding the 5 day break in October. Is it an actual break or will it be spent doing lots of homework/reading? I'm trying to plan out some stuff.

Something due after, but if you plan ahead it should be fine. I booked a vacay for that weekend for this 2l year.

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:45 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Any decent Mexican food near campus? I'm from Southern California and grew up eating delicious greasy tacos in hole in the wall Mexican joints, far and away my favorite cuisine. Will I be out of luck on that front at HLS?

Also from Southern California. You're probably out of luck in Cambridge - Boca Grande is probably your least bad option, but it's not good by any means. If you're adventurous, there's a place in East Boston (Taqueria Jalisco) that is quite good, but it's a trek you're probably not going to want to make regularly during 1L.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:53 am

smittytron3k wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:Any decent Mexican food near campus? I'm from Southern California and grew up eating delicious greasy tacos in hole in the wall Mexican joints, far and away my favorite cuisine. Will I be out of luck on that front at HLS?

Also from Southern California. You're probably out of luck in Cambridge - Boca Grande is probably your least bad option, but it's not good by any means. If you're adventurous, there's a place in East Boston (Taqueria Jalisco) that is quite good, but it's a trek you're probably not going to want to make regularly during 1L.

Thanks for the tip, Jalisco looks really promising on Yelp I'll be sure to get there at least once this semester. Got into Cambridge last night and went to Felipe's in Harvard Square for a quick dinner - and then came home and wrote that question.

wik557

Postby wik557 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
smittytron3k wrote:

Thanks for the tip, Jalisco looks really promising on Yelp I'll be sure to get there at least once this semester. Got into Cambridge last night and went to Felipe's in Harvard Square for a quick dinner - and then came home and wrote that question.

Sorry to say that Cambridge is a Mexican food wasteland. People will tell you that you can get good burritos from Felipe's or Anna's. Maybe so by Massachusetts standards, but if you are coming from Southern California, don't let them get your hopes up.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Any thoughts on the Verizon vs. Comcast for internet? I've had awful experiences with Comcast in the past, but I wondered whether the service is different here in MA.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Any thoughts on the Verizon vs. Comcast for internet? I've had awful experiences with Comcast in the past, but I wondered whether the service is different here in MA.

if it's FiOS, tell comcast to go fuck themselves

if not, i personally would still use verizon dsl, but it will be slower

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:56 pm

fatduck wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Any thoughts on the Verizon vs. Comcast for internet? I've had awful experiences with Comcast in the past, but I wondered whether the service is different here in MA.

This is a personal beef, but I hate that Verizon advertises FiOS so heavily when they know that it's not available anywhere. It's pretty obvious that the point is to make people call them for the speed, maybe even set up an appointment for installation, and then just go with DSL when they find out that FiOS is rarely available. I went through it back home, and that's part of the reason I use Comcast, another terrible company, here.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:01 pm

delusional wrote:
fatduck wrote:

This is a personal beef, but I hate that Verizon advertises FiOS so heavily when they know that it's not available anywhere. It's pretty obvious that the point is to make people call them for the speed, maybe even set up an appointment for installation, and then just go with DSL when they find out that FiOS is rarely available. I went through it back home, and that's part of the reason I use Comcast, another terrible company, here.

definitely a lesser of two evils situation. verizon dsl is definitely slower, but fwiw i found it to be more reliable. comcast's service has a tendency to go out randomly. their network is shittily maintained, internet will go out randomly because of bad updates, DOCSIS 2.0/3.0 inconsistencies, etc.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 pm

fatduck wrote:
delusional wrote:
fatduck wrote:

definitely a lesser of two evils situation. verizon dsl is definitely slower, but fwiw i found it to be more reliable. comcast's service has a tendency to go out randomly. their network is shittily maintained, internet will go out randomly because of bad updates, DOCSIS 2.0/3.0 inconsistencies, etc.

This is important to know. I'm definitely a fan of reliability over just speed, although I will miss my FiOS connection. I'm going from 25/5 mbps to 3.5-7 mbps. Too bad FiOS isn't available.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Stupid question.

Where can I find my professors' old exams?

Is there like a one-stop shop?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:04 pm

Disregard...found it on myhls.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Anyone know whether Profs. Sitkoff and/or Sachs ban laptops in class?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:39 pm

fatduck wrote:
delusional wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:if it's FiOS, tell comcast to go fuck themselves

This is important to know. I'm definitely a fan of reliability over just speed, although I will miss my FiOS connection. I'm going from 25/5 mbps to 3.5-7 mbps. Too bad FiOS isn't available.

Fwiw I have FiOS in my apartment west of the law school, but it's not ubiquitous in Cambridge. We don't, however, have cable access yet, so for now I'm splitting bills.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:10 pm

im sorry if this is stupid but can u get cold-called in LRW? Or is it like how instructional?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:14 pm

sharktankdean wrote:im sorry if this is stupid but can u get cold-called in LRW? Or is it like how instructional?

I'd imagine it depends on the professor. Mine didn't cold call.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:52 pm

What's the word on the Lincoln Inn Society? Any benefits besides the cruise etc?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:19 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:What's the word on the Lincoln Inn Society? Any benefits besides the cruise etc?

Not really.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:34 pm

What do you guys think it takes to get the Sears Prize? Asking for a friend. (No seriously, asking conversationally.)

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:35 pm

delusional wrote:What do you guys think it takes to get the Sears Prize? Asking for a friend. (No seriously, asking conversationally.)

Probably like all Hs and 6 Dean's? Just a guess. What does your friend have?

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 pm

ph14 wrote:
delusional wrote:What do you guys think it takes to get the Sears Prize? Asking for a friend. (No seriously, asking conversationally.)

I meant as a 2L. But really, you think you need six DSs? That is one badass legal mind right there, if it exists.

Back to 2L - figure the person takes about 12 graded credits a semester, there wouldn't be that many grades to base it on. So it would have to be like 2-3 DS, 3-4 H, and then a few CR. That's what I figure. But maybe in the rarified air of the upper echelons there are actually people who can get straight DS when they pick their courses. OTOH, those people are probably distracted somewhat by law review.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:46 pm

delusional wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I meant as a 2L. But really, you think you need six DSs? That is one badass legal mind right there, if it exists.

Back to 2L - figure the person takes about 12 graded credits a semester, there wouldn't be that many grades to base it on. So it would have to be like 2-3 DS, 3-4 H, and then a few CR. That's what I figure. But maybe in the rarified air of the upper echelons there are actually people who can get straight DS when they pick their courses. OTOH, those people are probably distracted somewhat by law review.

Well Sears Prize is top 2 in the class of 500+. Maybe not 6 but it's probably pretty high up there, right?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Everything that I've heard says that it is something like 6-7 DSs and the rest Hs. You've got to be pretty darn smart, but you've also got to be lucky. Everything has to go your way in two separate semesters.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:52 pm

ph14 wrote:
delusional wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Well Sears Prize is top 2 in the class of 500+. Maybe not 6 but it's probably pretty high up there, right?

True, but the counterpoint is that the wackiness of law school exams would make it unlikely even for someone whose performance deserves a DS in every class to actually receive it in every class. Demonstration of randomness: I've heard of multiple people who got DSs and LPs. I've heard of people getting a DS or two and 5-8 Ps. If random students are "using up" the 20 available DSs, there simply aren't going to be enough for any one student to have five or six. Or, put differently, for the group of, say, 10 people who consistently are in the running to have 18 DSs among them.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:55 pm

tomwatts wrote:Everything that I've heard says that it is something like 6-7 DSs and the rest Hs. You've got to be pretty darn smart, but you've also got to be lucky. Everything has to go your way in two separate semesters.
I'm curious if you've heard anything concrete about this. I guess you definitely have to be smart and lucky, but are there enough smart people for one of them to get this lucky? Also, when you get the 7 DSs, do you then feel ripped off having to settle for Williams & Connelly for 2L summer?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”