Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fatduck

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fatduck » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:52 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I did a quick search of this thread and couldn't find anything, so I apologize if I'm repeating, but does anyone know a way to have your Harvard email automatically sent to Gmail, and for you to be able to respond via Gmail as your Harvard email?

you can do both via gmail - add harvard as a "send mail as" account, and add it as a POP account to retrieve mail. but beware of sending via gmail, as your recipient may see your gmail address instead (depending on their mail server's settings)

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:59 pm

fatduck wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I did a quick search of this thread and couldn't find anything, so I apologize if I'm repeating, but does anyone know a way to have your Harvard email automatically sent to Gmail, and for you to be able to respond via Gmail as your Harvard email?

you can do both via gmail - add harvard as a "send mail as" account, and add it as a POP account to retrieve mail. but beware of sending via gmail, as your recipient may see your gmail address instead (depending on their mail server's settings)

Thanks!

Sorry for the random question, but when I Send Mail As, it asks me this:
When you send mail as XXX@law.harvard.edu, the mail can either be sent through Gmail or through jd15.law.harvard.edu SMTP servers.
1) Send through Gmail (easier to set up)
2) Send through law.harvard.edu SMTP servers

Is there a better option?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:04 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Thanks!

Sorry for the random question, but when I Send Mail As, it asks me this:
When you send mail as XXX@law.harvard.edu, the mail can either be sent through Gmail or through jd15.law.harvard.edu SMTP servers.
1) Send through Gmail (easier to set up)
2) Send through law.harvard.edu SMTP servers

Is there a better option?

i'm not sure. i think even if you use law.harvard.edu SMTP gmail still "sends on behalf" so you run the risk of your gmail address appearing in the headers. i could be wrong, though.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:07 am

Hmm. I won't let me do it through SMTP anyway.

Thanks for the info though!

Edit- When I try to add the Harvard email to POP, GMail won't let me. Is there anything that I need to change in the boxes to make sure I have all the correct information?

Nevermind, there's information in MyMail about SMTP and POP that solved it.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:12 am

Some SPOs and clinicals prohibit forwarding your HLS email along to gmail (private client information). A lot of students do it anyway, but I've seen a person or two get chewed out for getting caught since e-mails sent from your gmail usually indicate it even if you have it appear from @jd##.law.harvard.edu

Now

Postby Now » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:23 am

1) How willing are people to share notes/outlines/etc with classmates? I imagine people are more willing to share with friends, but are they willing to help out other classmates? Students I talked to said that HLS is "competitive but not cutthroat". Outside of study groups and friendships, do people try to work together and help each other out at finals time, or is it pretty man each man for himself?

2) In general, do people tend to be concerned about grades, or does the lack of letter grades shift the focus to learning the material? Outside of finals time, what is the general stress level like? I'm sure some students will stress/"gun" no matter what, and others will be "chill", but does HLS feel like a pressurized environment?

I ask because I have never been in a class with a curve or in an environment with such a highly concentrated group of high achievers, and want to know what to expect. Thanks!

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:24 am

what's the dress code for section photos?

PS I hope CB interviews are going well. Hopefully some of you are already celebrating offers :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:39 am

Now wrote:1) How willing are people to share notes/outlines/etc with classmates? I imagine people are more willing to share with friends, but are they willing to help out other classmates? Students I talked to said that HLS is "competitive but not cutthroat". Outside of study groups and friendships, do people try to work together and help each other out at finals time, or is it pretty man each man for himself?

2) In general, do people tend to be concerned about grades, or does the lack of letter grades shift the focus to learning the material? Outside of finals time, what is the general stress level like? I'm sure some students will stress/"gun" no matter what, and others will be "chill", but does HLS feel like a pressurized environment?

I ask because I have never been in a class with a curve or in an environment with such a highly concentrated group of high achievers, and want to know what to expect. Thanks!

I did not find anyone unwilling to share notes, however, I was careful to only ask in times of need and only from people whom I felt comfortable asking. There was one person who was borderline, and she shared her notes with me when I was desperate, so when she missed a class, I made sure to offer my notes.
I don't know why you say "outside of study groups and friendships" because those are the ways that people interact. People with whom I was not particularly close were happy to join study groups with me. Otherwise, I did not approach strangers in the cafeteria and ask them questions about Torts.
I did not find at the time that people were particularly uptight. There were some who were, but within each person's social circle, people find it more helpful to lean on each other. OTOH, (perhaps this is oversharing) now that 1L is over, I think that I myself was pretty uptight, although I hope it didn't come across to others.

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:40 am

JDflowergirl wrote:what's the dress code for section photos?

PS I hope CB interviews are going well. Hopefully some of you are already celebrating offers :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The dress code is what you are wearing. It would be odd to remove or add something for the section photo. Although maybe a girl should weigh in on this.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:44 am

Now wrote:1) How willing are people to share notes/outlines/etc with classmates? I imagine people are more willing to share with friends, but are they willing to help out other classmates? Students I talked to said that HLS is "competitive but not cutthroat". Outside of study groups and friendships, do people try to work together and help each other out at finals time, or is it pretty man each man for himself?

1) varies a lot by person. There was someone I knew who shared his outlines online with the entire section. Most people I knew were more than willing to share with friends, but didn't offer them out randomly to other people. I never posted anything I found for the entire section, but I did share some outside of my friend circle. Some were very selective about who they shared with (as in, only ppl who were also sharing with them). People in my section who weren't in study groups would usually put out a call in the section fb group like I'm going to be in room X at time Y to go over subject Z. I didn't go to any of them because my own study schedule was already booked up between my study group and the time I wanted to study alone, but friends went and said a lot of people showed up.

2) The thing is, we still have grades. H*, H, P, and LP is still a grade distinction and grades still matter for hiring. Employers might know exactly what the distribution is, but they know an H is better than a P, and tend to prefer someone with a lot of them to someone with none of them. You still need better grades for clerkships. Some people are relaxed about them, sure, though they tend to be a lot less relaxed about them when EIP rolls around. But that's what you're going to get when there are still distinctions--I have a friend at SLS who says that people def. stress about them there (but privately because it's not part of the culture to stress out about them publicly). To truly get "no grades", we'd need a pure pass/fail system.

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:33 am

delusional wrote:

The dress code is what you are wearing. It would be odd to remove or add something for the section photo. Although maybe a girl should weigh in on this.

Lol. I meant are we meant to dress up for the first day of orientation because of the section photo? Or can I throw on jeans or a normal dress? I don't know if they want us to look professional in the picture.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:18 am

Anyone know when winter loans disburse? I'm trying to figure out whether the autumn budget has to last me through January 1, or through the end of winter term, or what.

Also, does anyone know whether we'll have access to any type of kitchen to prepare lunches during the week? I've heard there's a microwave and toaster in Hark, but is there anywhere we can borrow a cutting board / knife, store some frozen goodies in a freezer, etc?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:50 am

splbagel wrote:Anyone know when winter loans disburse? I'm trying to figure out whether the autumn budget has to last me through January 1, or through the end of winter term, or what.

Also, does anyone know whether we'll have access to any type of kitchen to prepare lunches during the week? I've heard there's a microwave and toaster in Hark, but is there anywhere we can borrow a cutting board / knife, store some frozen goodies in a freezer, etc?

Regarding your second question, unless you live in the dorms, not to my knowledge, no.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Can anyone weigh in on FIP at Harvard? I haven't heard too much about it relative to what I've heard about EIP. Would be greatly interested in working for the gov or nonprofits.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:45 pm

delusional wrote:I did not find anyone unwilling to share notes, however, I was careful to only ask in times of need and only from people whom I felt comfortable asking. There was one person who was borderline, and she shared her notes with me when I was desperate, so when she missed a class, I made sure to offer my notes.
I don't know why you say "outside of study groups and friendships" because those are the ways that people interact. People with whom I was not particularly close were happy to join study groups with me. Otherwise, I did not approach strangers in the cafeteria and ask them questions about Torts.
I did not find at the time that people were particularly uptight. There were some who were, but within each person's social circle, people find it more helpful to lean on each other. OTOH, (perhaps this is oversharing) now that 1L is over, I think that I myself was pretty uptight, although I hope it didn't come across to others.

My experience in UG is a bit different. I rarely got to know anyone in class but most of them had a google doc floating around for everyone to contribute to and to help study for test. It made completing reviews and the like much, much easier, most people didn't seem to mind that some slackers were benefitting more than others. Maybe that's what he's refering to.

larsoner

Postby larsoner » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:34 pm

How and when did you guys go about forming study groups? I've heard from several alumni that having a good study group is really important, so I don't want to miss out on being in one. Did you try to get a group together or join one right away, or did you wait a few weeks to figure out your legal study style/who in your section you would like to study with? Thanks.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:41 pm

larsoner wrote:How and when did you guys go about forming study groups? I've heard from several alumni that having a good study group is really important, so I don't want to miss out on being in one. Did you try to get a group together or join one right away, or did you wait a few weeks to figure out your legal study style/who in your section you would like to study with? Thanks.

Just as you make friends, organically. also I didn't join a study group and did fine so don't feel pressured to join one.

wik557

Postby wik557 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:53 pm

tomwatts wrote:
Now wrote:If you discover you hate working as an attorney, LIPP will allow you to use your HLS degree to do so many other things.

Within reason. You still have to do something "law-related," though that seems to be defined somewhat broadly.

I thought the way it worked was that it EITHER had to be law-related or be public interest/non-profit.

wik557

Postby wik557 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:55 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:
delusional wrote:

Lol. I meant are we meant to dress up for the first day of orientation because of the section photo? Or can I throw on jeans or a normal dress? I don't know if they want us to look professional in the picture.

No special dress code for the picture. Also, there will be 80 people in it so no one will be able to tell what you are wearing anyway. Also, I don't know if I ever even saw my section picture.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:17 pm

wik557 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
Now wrote:If you discover you hate working as an attorney, LIPP will allow you to use your HLS degree to do so many other things.

Within reason. You still have to do something "law-related," though that seems to be defined somewhat broadly.

I thought the way it worked was that it EITHER had to be law-related or be public interest/non-profit.

Right, yes, good correction. The "within reason" still applies — there are a lot of things that you can't do and be LIPP-eligible — but it has to be law-related or government/nonprofit/academic.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:53 pm

larsoner wrote:How and when did you guys go about forming study groups? I've heard from several alumni that having a good study group is really important, so I don't want to miss out on being in one. Did you try to get a group together or join one right away, or did you wait a few weeks to figure out your legal study style/who in your section you would like to study with? Thanks.

Law school shouldn't be any different from undergrad in this way. I started a study group right before we left for Thanksgiving break and just picked random friends who I thought would work well together.

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:11 pm

ph14 wrote:

Just as you make friends, organically. also I didn't join a study group and did fine so don't feel pressured to join one.

+1, i didn't have a study group and did/am doing fine. it is helpful to have someone you can swap notes/outlines/questions with, but you don't have to have a formal "study group" to do well on exams.

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks

Also regarding the 5 day break in October. Is it an actual break or will it be spent doing lots of homework/reading? I'm trying to plan out some stuff.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:49 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:Thanks

Also regarding the 5 day break in October. Is it an actual break or will it be spent doing lots of homework/reading? I'm trying to plan out some stuff.

It's what you make of it really. I think the closed memo is due right after, so keep that in mind.

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:51 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:Thanks

If I recall correctly, it depends on you. If you're the type of person who needs to keep up the whole semester, it's a good time to take stock of where you're at. If you're fine just working from scratch once reading week hits, then there's not likely to be anyone forcing you to study then. Although I think there was some kind of LRW draft due right before or after.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”