Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Zelda wrote:Advice/Used Books? PM me. Thanks!

Civil Procedure (Greiner)
Contracts (Lessig)
Legislation & Regulation (Stephenson)
Torts (Shugerman)


You have a great set of professors.

goducks01
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:24 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby goducks01 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Advice/Used Books? PM me. Much appreciated!

Civ Pro—Rubenstein
Contracts—Frug
Legislation and Regulation—Hickman.
Torts—Goldberg

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fatduck » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:49 pm

ph14 wrote:
fatduck wrote:what's up with the different evidence courses varying from 2-4 credit hours? they all seem to have pretty much identical course descriptions. any reason to pick one over the others?


I asked this to people, couldn't really get a good answer. I'd go for 4 credits though, which I will assume is the full class.

yea. i was curious because personally i'm really only interested in the federal rules, so i thought maybe one of the shorter classes might be more federal-focused (just a wild guess, though).

related: evidence recommended as a 2L?

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:50 pm

fatduck wrote:
ph14 wrote:
fatduck wrote:what's up with the different evidence courses varying from 2-4 credit hours? they all seem to have pretty much identical course descriptions. any reason to pick one over the others?


I asked this to people, couldn't really get a good answer. I'd go for 4 credits though, which I will assume is the full class.

yea. i was curious because personally i'm really only interested in the federal rules, so i thought maybe one of the shorter classes might be more federal-focused (just a wild guess, though).

related: evidence recommended as a 2L?


Yes, definitely. Especially if you are interested in litigation.

User avatar
JDflowergirl
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby JDflowergirl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:53 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:LRW -Morley or Plunkett

Civil Procedure with Christine Desan

Legislation and Regulation with David Barron


Contracts with Randall Kennedy

Torts with Jane Stapleton


any info on desan, kennedy morley/plunkett and stapleton ( i think she is a visiting prof tho).

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby GeePee » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:12 pm

ph14 wrote:
fatduck wrote:what's up with the different evidence courses varying from 2-4 credit hours? they all seem to have pretty much identical course descriptions. any reason to pick one over the others?


I asked this to people, couldn't really get a good answer. I'd go for 4 credits though, which I will assume is the full class.

Is there a 2 credit evidence now? Never heard of that.

Nesson always "teaches" a 3 credit course, but just don't...

The legitimate evidence profs teach 4 credits, which is worth it. Who teaches a 2 credit section?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fatduck » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:13 pm

GeePee wrote:
ph14 wrote:
fatduck wrote:what's up with the different evidence courses varying from 2-4 credit hours? they all seem to have pretty much identical course descriptions. any reason to pick one over the others?


I asked this to people, couldn't really get a good answer. I'd go for 4 credits though, which I will assume is the full class.

Is there a 2 credit evidence now? Never heard of that.

Nesson always "teaches" a 3 credit course, but just don't...

The legitimate evidence profs teach 4 credits, which is worth it. Who teaches a 2 credit section?

Murray

19871987
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby 19871987 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:28 pm

I am planning to bring my car to Cambridge and keep it at least until the weather gets bad (at which point I'll probably drive it home to my dad's house a few hrs away and leave it there). I'm weighing my options in terms of parking and am wondering how easy it is to find street parking around the law school. I am living on Chauncy St. near Garden so I'd be looking for spots around there. I know I'd have to register my car in MA and get a resident permit, but I think that might be better than paying around $150-$200/month for a spot. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:07 pm

1L's arent required to take any classes during winter term right? What reasons are there for taking winter classes?

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:11 pm

thederangedwang wrote:1L's arent required to take any classes during winter term right? What reasons are there for taking winter classes?


You have to take the problem solving workshop, but it is pass/fail (and everyone passes). Not sure what the reasoning is, really.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:10 pm

ph14 wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:1L's arent required to take any classes during winter term right? What reasons are there for taking winter classes?


You have to take the problem solving workshop, but it is pass/fail (and everyone passes). Not sure what the reasoning is, really.

so every 1L has to stay for the winter term basically? and by pass fail, you mean its impossible to get a HP or DS or LP? As in p/f are the only possible grades?

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:19 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
ph14 wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:1L's arent required to take any classes during winter term right? What reasons are there for taking winter classes?


You have to take the problem solving workshop, but it is pass/fail (and everyone passes). Not sure what the reasoning is, really.

so every 1L has to stay for the winter term basically? and by pass fail, you mean its impossible to get a HP or DS or LP? As in p/f are the only possible grades?


Yes, every 1L has to stay for winter term (or more accurately, return to campus from their winter break). And by pass/fail, yes, the only possible grades are credit and no credit.

User avatar
Luchando
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Luchando » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Luchando wrote:Thoughts on the following profs for Section 6?

Civil Procedure- Jack Goldsmith
Contracts- Adam Levitin (visiting from Georgetown)
Torts- Jon Hanson
Legislation and Regulation- Susan Davies

Also, which of the TLS guides are worth reading for those of us about to start? Can you link to their location on TLS?


Apologies for the repost, but hoping for an answer.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:20 pm

.
Last edited by thederangedwang on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Luchando
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Luchando » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:27 pm

The primary component of my second question dealt with which of the 50+ 0L guides and threads on TLS are actually worth reading. That isn't an answer.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Luchando wrote:The primary component of my second question dealt with which of the 50+ 0L guides and threads on TLS are actually worth reading. That isn't an answer.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123092

theres only 10 or so, and each one only takes 2-3 min to read so I read all of them. However most of the advice is repetitive so you could prob finish all of em in like 10 min

If you can only afford 5min to read, then read scribes guide and talon's.

maxpower430
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby maxpower430 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:50 am

thederangedwang wrote:any insights on

Legislation and Regulation with Tushnet

Civil Procedure with Lee

Contracts with Rakoff

Torts with Lazarus

LRW with either tobin or coenen


Apologies for the re-post, but any thoughts about these profs?

AllTheLawz
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby AllTheLawz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:12 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Luchando wrote:The primary component of my second question dealt with which of the 50+ 0L guides and threads on TLS are actually worth reading. That isn't an answer.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123092

theres only 10 or so, and each one only takes 2-3 min to read so I read all of them. However most of the advice is repetitive so you could prob finish all of em in like 10 min

If you can only afford 5min to read, then read scribes guide and talon's.


Best advice is for you to relax the rest of the summer and don't worry about guides.. Those guides might make a world of difference at lower-ranked schools but at HLS everyone learns the ropes pretty quickly so they aren't going to give you any advantage

User avatar
JDflowergirl
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby JDflowergirl » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Good luck to all the people doing EIP this week. I'm sure you will all do great :D. You've got this 8)

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:Good luck to all the people doing EIP this week. I'm sure you will all do great :D. You've got this 8)


I'm worried about melting on my walk to the hotel in my suit :lol:.

potl
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby potl » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 pm

tag

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fatduck » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:00 pm

ph14 wrote:
JDflowergirl wrote:Good luck to all the people doing EIP this week. I'm sure you will all do great :D. You've got this 8)


I'm worried about melting on my walk to the hotel in my suit :lol:.

i'm commuting from brookline. kill me now.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:17 pm

fatduck wrote:
ph14 wrote:
JDflowergirl wrote:Good luck to all the people doing EIP this week. I'm sure you will all do great :D. You've got this 8)


I'm worried about melting on my walk to the hotel in my suit :lol:.

i'm commuting from brookline. kill me now.
Same here, except nearby Brighton. Are you going by bus? I thought about a cab but it was $30 to get from South Station to my house, and I can't spend that every day. I think I'll just carry my jacket.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fatduck » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:25 pm

delusional wrote:
fatduck wrote:
ph14 wrote:
JDflowergirl wrote:Good luck to all the people doing EIP this week. I'm sure you will all do great :D. You've got this 8)

I'm worried about melting on my walk to the hotel in my suit :lol:.

i'm commuting from brookline. kill me now.
Same here, except nearby Brighton. Are you going by bus? I thought about a cab but it was $30 to get from South Station to my house, and I can't spend that every day. I think I'll just carry my jacket.

i'm right off the green line so i'll probably just take that to the red. the 66 would be faster but i dunno if i wanna stand around in the sun waiting for a bus.

potl
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby potl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:33 am

fatduck wrote:i'm right off the green line so i'll probably just take that to the red. the 66 would be faster but i dunno if i wanna stand around in the sun waiting for a bus.


If you're worried about waiting, you could plan when to leave your place (or the school) by using trackthet.com or nextbus.com. Personally, I'd rather ride the bus than the green line.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138 and 6 guests