Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ph14

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:26 pm

crystalized wrote:I just noticed that some of the casebooks come with CDs. Just wondering, what's on those CDs and were they ever used? I'm asking because my laptop doesn't have a CD drive, and wondering if I need to buy an external USB-powered CD/DVD reader.

Thanks!

I never used a CD during 1L year. Don't buy a CD/DVD reader.

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:54 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
euskadi wrote:Do any of you know someone who has applied to do/is doing the joint program with Cambridge? I think I remember reading that only six students do this per year and was wondering how competitive it is. I know you've got to be accepted by Cambridge, which on its own shouldn't be a massive issue for me, if I've got decent grades at H (previous, good Oxbridge degree). But perhaps the program isn't all that popular, so the requirements (as to class rank at HLS) won't be that strict (top 10%/third/median?). Any insight is greatly appreciated!

bump :) also interested in this

Just out of curiosity: why would you want to do this? Unless you want to be a professor, this doesn't sound like a good plan. The style of learning at Cambridge is quite different than what you expect, and frankly, you'd need to find someone with whom you'd want to work. I just don't see how adding an LLM from Cambridge--btw Oxford is number 1 in law--would help you in your career, even if you wanted to do international law. Again, I think it's just for people who want to "learn" more, or rather "produce" more papers.

Adding with edit: if you really want to learn how it works, contact the joint degree people. They will be a ton more useful than this thread. You can ask for figures and whatever else you want. Again, I don't see the point of doing this unless you want academia, and frankly there are other ways to do it--fellowships--without whoring yourself out for a useless llm degree.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:08 pm

when/how do we find out what times we take LRW because its the only thing i cant see in the course catalog..

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:38 pm

sharktankdean wrote:when/how do we find out what times we take LRW because its the only thing i cant see in the course catalog..
Can you guys get into helios yet?
Helios.law.harvard.edu I think.
ETA: try using your initialname.jd15, and then your password that you set up for your email. Like jsmith.jd15 and then password
Last edited by delusional on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:39 pm

delusional wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:when/how do we find out what times we take LRW because its the only thing i cant see in the course catalog..

whats our username supposed to be? our email?

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:40 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
delusional wrote:

whats our username supposed to be? our email?
see above

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:13 pm

sorry if this has been asked..but what is a reasonable price range for fall textbooks?

Also the Helios website didn't work for me.

Also is there a LRW book or should we just get the blue book?

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:31 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:sorry if this has been asked..but what is a reasonable price range for fall textbooks?

For LRW, it's the Bluebook.

For textbooks, it depends on the professor. I know that certainty is highly sought after at this stage of the game, but that's the sad reality. In my first semester, one prof didn't even assign a textbook, he assigned cases only. Other professors assigned a book that hasn't been updated in five years, and you can get it from Amazon used sellers for $40. Other professors will require a book that was redone for September 2012, and it will cost $200, and in addition they will assign a supplement for $50. There are only four classes, other than LRW, so there's really no way to predict an average or a likely total.

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:47 pm

delusional wrote:
JDflowergirl wrote:sorry if this has been asked..but what is a reasonable price range for fall textbooks?

For textbooks, it depends on the professor. I know that certainty is highly sought after at this stage of the game, but that's the sad reality. In my first semester, one prof didn't even assign a textbook, he assigned cases only. Other professors assigned a book that hasn't been updated in five years, and you can get it from Amazon used sellers for $40. Other professors will require a book that was redone for September 2012, and it will cost $200, and in addition they will assign a supplement for $50. There are only four classes, other than LRW, so there's really no way to predict an average or a likely total.

Thanks! I'll add the Bluebook to the list of things to buy. Right now I'm looking at a shopping cart that totals about $900. I feel I'm doing something wrong.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:56 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:
delusional wrote:

Thanks! I'll add the Bluebook to the list of things to buy. Right now I'm looking at a shopping cart that totals about $900. I feel I'm doing something wrong.
How do you know what books you need?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:57 pm

So the incoming 1Ls got our sections today and I was wondering if any current students could give me some info on the professors teaching my section. I wouldn't want this thread to become a big professor Q&A, so if any current student could PM me, I can give you the list of professors in my section and hopefully you have some info! Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:06 pm

delusional wrote:
JDflowergirl wrote:
delusional wrote:

How do you know what books you need?

The COOP

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Post your sections/profs so we can make fun of you.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 pm

Casebooks are quite expensive. I'd say $900 is a bit on the high end based on what I paid, but by no means unbelievable. Don't feel obligated to buy new if you don't want to, but I certainly understand wanting your first semester textbooks at least to be new and then figuring it out from there. But yeah, sometimes it happens that you get stuck with that much in textbooks.

carne.asada

Postby carne.asada » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:03 am

Just got my section and (unofficial) schedule today: if anyone has any insight on professors Gross, Rubenstein, Donahue or Gersen I would be suuuuuper grateful if you would throw it my way! If you don't want to clutter the thread feel free to PM me and I'll share the info on the FB page for my section.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 am

carne.asada wrote:Just got my section and (unofficial) schedule today: if anyone has any insight on professors Gross, Rubenstein, Donahue or Gersen I would be suuuuuper grateful if you would throw it my way! If you don't want to clutter the thread feel free to PM me and I'll share the info on the FB page for my section.

I didn't have Rubenstein, but I hear very rave reviews from everyone who has had him, even from people who had wide disparate opinions on other profs. He seems to really hit the sweets spot for what most people want out of a prof.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:28 am

acrossthelake wrote:
carne.asada wrote:Just got my section and (unofficial) schedule today: if anyone has any insight on professors Gross, Rubenstein, Donahue or Gersen I would be suuuuuper grateful if you would throw it my way! If you don't want to clutter the thread feel free to PM me and I'll share the info on the FB page for my section.

I didn't have Rubenstein, but I hear very rave reviews from everyone who has had him, even from people who had wide disparate opinions on other profs. He seems to really hit the sweets spot for what most people want out of a prof.

any insights on

Legislation and Regulation with Tushnet

Civil Procedure with Lee

Contracts with Rakoff

Torts with Lazarus

LRW with either tobin or coenen
Last edited by thederangedwang on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:22 am

LRW -Morley or Plunkett

Civil Procedure with Christine Desan

Legislation and Regulation with David Barron

Contracts with Randall Kennedy

Torts with Jane Stapleton

acappella

Postby acappella » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:29 am

Jumping in with:

Civ Pro with Suk
Crim with Lanni
Legislation and Regulation with Manning
Torts with Sargentich
LRW with either Fleming or Stoughton

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:36 am

People tend to either love or hate Sargentich. I'm a Sargentich fangirl myself. He teaches at a very theoretical and philosophical level. So...less spelling out the elements of torts, and more teaching the general big picture overview of what torts is as a field. This is very frustrating to people who just want the straightforward details of this tort requires A, B, and C. But, honestly, you can derive most of the elements of torts once you understand the philosophical underpinnings of the area, and if you're really not able to do that, you can just look it up in an outline or an E&E. Torts is a very very very simple subject when it comes to black letter law.

I haven't heard much about Suk as a prof, just that she's very cold as a person.

Dunno anything about the rest.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:30 am

Do we only need these books for the semseter? Cuz the rental dates have a return date of dec 21st, would I need to re-rent them in Jan or are those all new books?

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:30 pm

I had Rubenstein and everyone loved him, some people to unreasonable extremes. I liked him too; I would rank him 10 out of 10, but some people went to 11.

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:34 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:LRW -Morley or Plunkett

Civil Procedure with Christine Desan

Legislation and Regulation with David Barron

Contracts with Randall Kennedy

Torts with Jane Stapleton

They seem to have mixed up the sections a little - don't know if that's what they always do or what. Barron is great, he's very friendly, despite being brilliant. He is relatively Socratic. (Don't worry, you're free to pass - but if you don't, be prepared to get pushed. Don't be offended if he then goes and asks if anyone disagrees. And he will answer every question with "what do you think?")

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:32 pm

acappella wrote:Jumping in with:

Civ Pro with Suk
Crim with Lanni
Legislation and Regulation with Manning
Torts with Sargentich
LRW with either Fleming or Stoughton

Don't know much about Suk or your LRW people, but I had the other 3 (I assume section 1?). Manning is one of the best professors I've ever had, and is an awesome human being/total teddy bear on top of that. He does coldcall, but he does it in an extended colloquy format and throws softballs for the most part. His exam is going to ask you to (a) describe the state of the law on that issue in detail, (b) apply law to facts, and (c) provide your evaluation of the law, and you should pre-write your answers for (a) and (c) as part of the outlining process. I really liked Crim with Lanni, although she got very strongly mixed reviews. Lots of open-ended discussion, not a ton of cold-calling. Exam is super straightforward, except that it usually includes a "propose a criminal statute and discuss any issues it might raise" question. I'll echo what acrossthelake said about Sarge, at least in the sense that he is very theoretical, more of a philosopher than a law-and-economics guy, and doesn't spend a lot of time talking about doctrine. He's also a very eccentric guy, for better or for worse. Exam is 3 short issue spotters and 1 pure policy question. Rumor has it that volume matters a ton on his exam (a DS exam from my class posted on one of the exam banks was like 10.5k words).

Onthebrink

Postby Onthebrink » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:34 pm

I may as well add my voice to the chorus as I am full to bursting with questions! Thanks as always to the upperclassmen for answering these questions.

Civ Pro with the aforementioned awesome Rubenstein.

Torts with Goldberg

Leg Reg with Hickman

Contracts with Frug

LRW with either Muller or Eisenberg.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”