Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fred013

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by fred013 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:28 pm

not sure if HLS wants this out there on a message board, just saying. id take down.

lameslice57

New

Post by lameslice57 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:44 am

fred013 wrote:not sure if HLS wants this out there on a message board, just saying. id take down.
not sure if anyone at HLS wants you posting on this message board, just saying. id stop posting.

fred013

New

Post by fred013 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:41 pm

lameslice57 wrote:
fred013 wrote:not sure if HLS wants this out there on a message board, just saying. id take down.
not sure if anyone at HLS wants you posting on this message board, just saying. id stop posting.
i know they don't bc i expose the truth about our middling institution coasting off its reputation and not providing students the exemplary experience it markets

lameslice57

New

Post by lameslice57 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:09 pm

nah, i was mainly talking about the students.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:31 pm

fred013 wrote:
despina wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
2666 wrote:I didn't get why my not-so-ridiculous question was answered by jeer
Please ignore Fred. The rest of us do.
For real, welcome to the thread. Fred's been trolling for dozens of pages now and probably isn't actually an HLS student. Please don't let his antics get you down or affect your perception of the school.
i go to HLS. I am not trolling. The perception of the school you should have is this - its a huge institution that is very impersonal and exploits its reputation to provide its students a mediocre experience. there is no advising, guidance or mentorship whatsoever.
Sounds like someone was disillusioned :(

Don't worry, you will still save the world some day!!! :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:04 pm

tomwatts wrote:(In case anyone's curious, J Term grades came out on 2/18/12, 2/25/13, and 2/19/14.)
If anyone's interested, this means that my guess is that J Term grades come out tomorrow (or in the next few days after that — could be next week). These tend to come out without any warning; the Registrar just sends an email saying, "We are pleased to announce the release of your J-term grades which can be viewed on your unofficial transcript in Helios."

(Again, this is just because I like analytics and am curious to see if the rhythms really are predictable based on the past few years.)

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:41 pm

Anyone have an outline for Jackson's Comparative Con Law from last semester (or any semester)? The reading load this semester is pretty immense.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Last edited by lawlorbust on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:49 pm

lawlorbust wrote:has anyone cold-approached a professor that they hadn't taken a class with, not in response to a job posting, etc. about taking a research position? good/bad results?
I have not done this, but you should do it if you're interested. There's really no downside, as long as you ask in a reasonable manner (something about being interested in their research, blah blah) — the worst that could happen is that they'd say no. And the upside is that they might say yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mono172000

New

Post by mono172000 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:54 pm

Anyone have any experience starting or continuing language study at Harvard (particularly interested in Spanish)? I know you don't have much extra time as a law student, but I'm curious if people do anything like audit/enroll in undergrad language classes, do study abroad programs, form language groups, etc. Just don't want language skills to atrophy during LS.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:03 pm

mono172000 wrote:Anyone have any experience starting or continuing language study at Harvard (particularly interested in Spanish)? I know you don't have much extra time as a law student, but I'm curious if people do anything like audit/enroll in undergrad language classes, do study abroad programs, form language groups, etc. Just don't want language skills to atrophy during LS.
I don't, but I know someone who does. I think you can take language courses for credit.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:20 pm

TripTrip wrote:
mono172000 wrote:Anyone have any experience starting or continuing language study at Harvard (particularly interested in Spanish)? I know you don't have much extra time as a law student, but I'm curious if people do anything like audit/enroll in undergrad language classes, do study abroad programs, form language groups, etc. Just don't want language skills to atrophy during LS.
I don't, but I know someone who does. I think you can take language courses for credit.
+1. You can take up to four courses at other Harvard schools. I've heard of many people using some of those for language classes at the undergrad.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:10 am

tomwatts wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:has anyone cold-approached a professor that they hadn't taken a class with, not in response to a job posting, etc. about taking a research position? good/bad results?
I have not done this, but you should do it if you're interested. There's really no downside, as long as you ask in a reasonable manner (something about being interested in their research, blah blah) — the worst that could happen is that they'd say no. And the upside is that they might say yes.
I haven't done this, but I understand it's quite common.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:26 am

HorseThief wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
+1. You can take up to four courses at other Harvard schools. I've heard of many people using some of those for language classes at the undergrad.
Best/easiest four credits I ever had were in a top-level foreign language class at the college, in a language I already knew. Was a cinema class meeting twice a week for two hours at the college (first weekly session being the film viewing, second session discussion). HLS Reg will see the class meets for four hours a week and simply serve you up four credits - unparalleled bang for your buck credit-wise.

o0o0o0o

New

Post by o0o0o0o » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:20 pm

Last edited by o0o0o0o on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:51 pm

To add one detail to what's been said: you cannot audit language classes, you have to actually enroll. This usually means for beginner/intermediate classes that you will have two classes a week, plus a weekly recitation, plus homework, plus a midterm or midterms, plus regular exams/quizzes, and plus homework assignments. Basically, all that stuff you did in undergrad. If you are 100% into learning the language and willing to give that kind of time, go for it. But if you're just hoping to pick up some basics and don't want a lot of stress, keep that in mind.

You can theoretically blow all that off because the cross-registration grades don't get factored into your GPA, but they still appear on your transcript, which could be embarrassing.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:06 pm

I have done this with a big name professor with a good result. You should have good working knowledge of their research and be able to explain why it interacts with your academic and/or professional interests. Different professors have varying degrees of accommodation to such requests - another professor that I have worked with almost universally rejects such requests. If you can, then I would suggest doing some digging to find out who is currently RAing for that professor to find out how that professor likes to hire (plus a recommendation from a current RA goes a long way).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:06 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Anyone have an outline for Jackson's Comparative Con Law from last semester (or any semester)? The reading load this semester is pretty immense.
Also looking for old exams if any are floating around; can't find anything on Dope. Thanks in advance!

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Anyone have an outline for Jackson's Comparative Con Law from last semester (or any semester)? The reading load this semester is pretty immense.
Also looking for old exams if any are floating around; can't find anything on Dope. Thanks in advance!
I'll second this heartily.

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:56 pm

robotrick wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
I will third this even more heartily.

fred013

New

Post by fred013 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:53 am

codyoneill wrote:
robotrick wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

do you guys have 2L/3L friends outside of TLS to ask?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:59 am

fred013 wrote:

can we get a banstick on this assclown

fred013

New

Post by fred013 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
fred013 wrote:

can we get a banstick on this assclown
what? its a legitimate question. TLS is coming up dry.

kcam1991

Bronze

Post by kcam1991 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Anyone have recommendations regarding the best hornbook for Corporations with Clark?

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:14 am

codyoneill wrote:
robotrick wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
Fourth, fifth and sixth this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”