Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by 094320 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:08 pm

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 pm

wert3813 wrote:As long as we are calming fears here is mine:

I have a strong ability to remember information given orally, but I write slow (I type just fine). When I sat in on a class people were borderline transcribing the professor's words and it kinda freaked me out. Is my section going to be so friendly that I could basically type up someone else's notes all the time? Is writing that much not necessary? Or is this an area where I need to get better?
I have a bit of a different perspective to add. I think the answer to this really depends on how you learn/study. I write down as much as I can in class unless it's obvious it won't be tested, and use my notes as my exclusive study tool during finals (I make an outline from my notes, usually, or just read through them). It worked well for me before law school, and it's worked well in law school. I've never touched a supplement; I think everything you need to do well on the exam is said in class.

You'll be able to bring a laptop to many of your classes, so this won't be an issue across the board. For classes where you have to handwrite notes, you'll be fine because like people have said, a lot of what is said (i.e., people's recitation of facts) doesn't need to be transcribed. But, at least for some people I think it's helpful to write down what the professor says and study from it. If you can learn the material in another way, you'll be fine as well--everyone needs to know what works for them and stick with it.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu May 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Hey all. Rising HLS 2L and 3L looking for a roommate.

3Bedroom/1Bathroom apartment literally one block from the law school off of Oxford (Corner of Oxford and Hammond). Rent is $1000/month plus about $30 for utilities. Bedroom is spacious with great light and a large closet. Living room, dining room, eat-in kitchen, and back porch. Hardwood floors through out. Common areas furnished with leather couches, a nice flat screen, and a traditional dining room set. Free laundry in the basement. Lease runs June 1, 2013 to May 31, 2014 but subletting for the summer is available. PM me for details.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:41 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
wert3813 wrote:As long as we are calming fears here is mine:

I have a strong ability to remember information given orally, but I write slow (I type just fine). When I sat in on a class people were borderline transcribing the professor's words and it kinda freaked me out. Is my section going to be so friendly that I could basically type up someone else's notes all the time? Is writing that much not necessary? Or is this an area where I need to get better?
I don't take class or reading notes. I just track down old outlines posted in exam banks. Law school has worked out just fine for me and it's not because I'm uniquely smart or anything. Note, I don't have like all Hs or anything, but, I got grades good enough for my top choice firm, so just saying, it all works out. Don't worry.
This is reassuring as it is borderline what I did for much of undergrad.

Thanks everyone!

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Thu May 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:Any advice on extra-curriculars during 1L year? There are a lot of activities/groups that I'd like to get involved with but obviously not at the expense of my grades. Any observational or anecdotal advice would be great.
My main advice is to do things that you want to do and not get caught up in what you are "supposed" to do. To the extent you seriously join a journal, you should probably think of it as a way to meet new people rather than doing any satisfying or useful work. Pretty much the only actual "prestigious" extracurricular is Law Review despite what you might hear from other 1Ls.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu May 09, 2013 12:43 pm

facile princeps wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
facile princeps wrote:Hey guys. So I'm looking at HUH at 10 Akron St. If I end up there, is it in my best interest to pay the arm/leg for the annual surface/garage parking permit? Or will I be able to park on the street once my vehicle is registered there? That $275/month for parking is steep. I'm honestly thinking about selling my car if there isn't a viable alternative.
Not sure if you can get a residential street parking permit with HUH housing as your address. Call and ask Harvard housing. If you can, then it's very easy and cheap to change your plates and get the residential street parking permit and well worth it (you get in-state insurance and get new plates with the dmv and get the permit in the Cambridge town hall).

Another option is renting a parking spot (see craigslist). 100-150/month.
Thanks.

I called and they said I could get the residential street parking with an HUH address, but that building is in a zone where street parking isn't permitted. Just my luck. I'll check out craigslist.
They lied to you. You can park on Putnam and Banks (my brother lives on Banks). Get the permit.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
facile princeps wrote:Hey guys. So I'm looking at HUH at 10 Akron St. If I end up there, is it in my best interest to pay the arm/leg for the annual surface/garage parking permit? Or will I be able to park on the street once my vehicle is registered there? That $275/month for parking is steep. I'm honestly thinking about selling my car if there isn't a viable alternative.
Not sure if you can get a residential street parking permit with HUH housing as your address. Call and ask Harvard housing. If you can, then it's very easy and cheap to change your plates and get the residential street parking permit and well worth it (you get in-state insurance and get new plates with the dmv and get the permit in the Cambridge town hall).

Another option is renting a parking spot (see craigslist). 100-150/month.
Thanks.

I called and they said I could get the residential street parking with an HUH address, but that building is in a zone where street parking isn't permitted. Just my luck. I'll check out craigslist.
They lied to you. You can park on Putnam and Banks (my brother lives on Banks). Get the permit.
Hey, thank you for this.

In all fairness to them, the rep I spoke with actually said he didn't know for sure, but he doubted it. I took my 'confirmation' of not being able to park on the streets from the wording in a parking notice attached to the lease:
Please be advised that on-street resident and visitor parking permits are not available from the City of Cambridge for this property due to a permanent special zoning agreement that enabled the construction of this property.
Maybe the notice means that if my car is registered at this address, then I can't get the permit? You said your brother lives on Banks, but do you (or anyone else) know of anyone who lives at 10 Akron and happens to have the resident parking permit through the city? I'm going to call the city office and ask them, but if anyone has any insight, do tell.

Update: I called the city, at first the rep hastily told me the address qualified for residential parking permits. I then asked her if she was sure, because this is a university building and I was told permits were not allowed. She then said "oh, wait, it says here 'do not issue permits.' So, no; your address does not qualify." Ugh, bummer.

Is there any workaround? She said the only 'workaround' would be to live somewhere else :lol:.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu May 09, 2013 2:18 pm

ebeth wrote: You'll be able to bring a laptop to many of your classes...
i wouldn't count on this...especially during 1L

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Thu May 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Varies a lot by section/professors.. For my section, I think we only had one professor who said no laptops.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu May 09, 2013 2:37 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Varies a lot by section/professors.. For my section, I think we only had one professor who said no laptops.
agreed, i know people who didn't get to use laptops in any of their classes

Glassjar

New

Post by Glassjar » Thu May 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi all!

Ok, recent HLS '16 admit with an update on senioritis. Up until being accepted to HLS in the second semester of my senior year, I was an all A student (this is every sem up to first sem of senior year). Second sem, I chose to make some tradeoffs, ex. involving myself heavily in one of my extracurricular activities bc this was the last time I would be able to do so without worrying about getting into law school, knowing this would lead to a drop in my grades during the final sem. It did: I moved from all A's to 1 A, 3 Bs and one goddamn 50-something (a D+!) for that last semester. I mean, I passed, at least... cough

Now I'm worried about whether there's a chance that HLS might rescind its offer. Can anyone offer any advice? Past stories?

I called and they said that in some cases, they call to ask for an explanation -- but not to lose sleep over it. I have no clue what to make of that. Am I being paranoid or just a poor student?

Thanks in advance.

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Thu May 09, 2013 4:38 pm

facile princeps wrote:Maybe the notice means that if my car is registered at this address, then I can't get the permit? You said your brother lives on Banks, but do you (or anyone else) know of anyone who lives at 10 Akron and happens to have the resident parking permit through the city? I'm going to call the city office and ask them, but if anyone has any insight, do tell.

Update: I called the city, at first the rep hastily told me the address qualified for residential parking permits. I then asked her if she was sure, because this is a university building and I was told permits were not allowed. She then said "oh, wait, it says here 'do not issue permits.' So, no; your address does not qualify." Ugh, bummer.

Is there any workaround? She said the only 'workaround' would be to live somewhere else :lol:.
I know different folks have different ideas about how essential a car is to their daily life, but you might consider getting rid of it entirely. I find it extremely easy to live carless here in Cambridge. No daily driving commute, obviously; all of your basic needs are within walking distance; easy to get into the city (if you need to) by the T. There are tons of Zipcars around Cambridge for those rare occasions where I've truly needed a vehicle, so consider that as well.

I do recognize that some people have very legitimate reasons to want or need a car around here, and maybe that's true in your case. But having a car here has always struck me as not at all worth the cost and hassle (moving for street cleaning, dealing with effing blizzards, etc.).

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Thu May 09, 2013 5:32 pm

GertrudePerkins wrote:
facile princeps wrote:Maybe the notice means that if my car is registered at this address, then I can't get the permit? You said your brother lives on Banks, but do you (or anyone else) know of anyone who lives at 10 Akron and happens to have the resident parking permit through the city? I'm going to call the city office and ask them, but if anyone has any insight, do tell.

I know different folks have different ideas about how essential a car is to their daily life, but you might consider getting rid of it entirely. I find it extremely easy to live carless here in Cambridge. No daily driving commute, obviously; all of your basic needs are within walking distance; easy to get into the city (if you need to) by the T. There are tons of Zipcars around Cambridge for those rare occasions where I've truly needed a vehicle, so consider that as well.

I do recognize that some people have very legitimate reasons to want or need a car around here, and maybe that's true in your case. But having a car here has always struck me as not at all worth the cost and hassle (moving for street cleaning, dealing with effing blizzards, etc.).
Agreed. I just feel like I wont be able to sell it at a fair price before moving. Also, my wife keeps fear-mongering about potential emergencies (we have an infant). I'll figure something out. Thanks for your input.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu May 09, 2013 5:51 pm

GertrudePerkins wrote:

I have my car. I like having my car, but it's definitely not a necessity for all. As the other poster mentioned, it's an individual decision. I'm in a LDR, so it's a necessity for that and I played rugby out of town on some weekends, but it was a luxury for the day-to-day. The best way to have a car is with the permit because you can park anywhere. My car is parked near the bar where I left it a couple days ago.

Unfortunately, the only work around is having the car registered at another address. (Not recommending it, but its not actually a big deal because if with car insurance your mail can be electronic anyway). You just need the insurance at that address and two pieces of mail (can be mail that you send to yourself) sent to that address.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:52 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
GertrudePerkins wrote:

I have my car. I like having my car, but it's definitely not a necessity for all. As the other poster mentioned, it's an individual decision. I'm in a LDR, so it's a necessity for that and I played rugby out of town on some weekends, but it was a luxury for the day-to-day. The best way to have a car is with the permit because you can park anywhere. My car is parked near the bar where I left it a couple days ago.

Unfortunately, the only work around is having the car registered at another address. (Not recommending it, but its not actually a big deal because if with car insurance your mail can be electronic anyway). You just need the insurance at that address and two pieces of mail (can be mail that you send to yourself) sent to that address.
Not a lawyer obviously but is that not fraud?

jbs17

New

Post by jbs17 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Does anyone know when you can pick up the LR competition on Friday? Do you have to do it at any particular time?

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Tue May 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Has anyone here ever lived in Dane?

And Godspeed to my above brother or sister and to all of those who are attempting LR.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue May 14, 2013 5:22 pm

jbs17 wrote:Does anyone know when you can pick up the LR competition on Friday? Do you have to do it at any particular time?
1-3. hauser

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 pm

LexLeon wrote:Has anyone here ever lived in Dane?
what do you want to know?

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Tue May 14, 2013 8:52 pm

HLS now offering deferred admission like HBS

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/ ... t-program/

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 pm

jbs17 wrote:Does anyone know when you can pick up the LR competition on Friday? Do you have to do it at any particular time?
Yes, 1-3 pm in Hauser 103.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue May 14, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm trying to find hours/pay-scale/experiences for Harvard grads working in Criminal Defense, can anyone direct me to a good source of information?

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I'm trying to find hours/pay-scale/experiences for Harvard grads working in Criminal Defense, can anyone direct me to a good source of information?
"Criminal Defense" could mean a lot of things, ranging from public defender to a relatively small private practice (like Marty Weinberg's) to doing criminal defense from within a BigLaw firm. The pay probably varies significantly among the possibilities encompassed by "Criminal Defense," and I don't think there's anything Harvard-specific about it. That is, the nature of what you do (and how much you get paid) as, say, a lawyer for DC's PDS is the same whether you went to Harvard or to UCLA. And Harvard grads definitely go down all of these paths.

In short, in order to get some more specific data, you need to be more specific about what you mean by "Criminal Defense."

yarsten

Bronze

Post by yarsten » Tue May 14, 2013 11:55 pm

Question for those who have families (if there are any) but others can chime in as well...

According to the rates listed online, Harvard health insurance will be over $10k/year for my family (spouse and child). That seems a little pricey...
Has anyone tried private health insurance or even Medicaid? If Medicaid, how would that work as far as getting a waiver before you're even in the state?

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 am

GertrudePerkins wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:I'm trying to find hours/pay-scale/experiences for Harvard grads working in Criminal Defense, can anyone direct me to a good source of information?
"Criminal Defense" could mean a lot of things, ranging from public defender to a relatively small private practice (like Marty Weinberg's) to doing criminal defense from within a BigLaw firm. The pay probably varies significantly among the possibilities encompassed by "Criminal Defense," and I don't think there's anything Harvard-specific about it. That is, the nature of what you do (and how much you get paid) as, say, a lawyer for DC's PDS is the same whether you went to Harvard or to UCLA. And Harvard grads definitely go down all of these paths.

In short, in order to get some more specific data, you need to be more specific about what you mean by "Criminal Defense."
Yea sorry about that, wasn't clear enough. I'm looking mainly for BigLaw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”