Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nothingtosee

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by nothingtosee » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:37 am

despina wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
sjgonzalez3 wrote:Question about credit-load as a 2L/3L.

I know 12/semester is average. Are there any advantages to taking more credits? I have a combination of classes that I am enrolled in that equals 15 credits, and don't particularly want to drop one. But, if there isn't really any benefit, it may be hard to justify the extra workload.

So far my pros/cons list to dropping is:

Pro: Less work

Cons: Don't get to take one extra class that interests me.

Anything else to tack on to either side for consideration?
There's no advantage to taking more credits than you need in order to graduate. But if you take more now, you can take fewer later, and you might feel like taking fewer later.

My feeling is that you should take classes you're interested in when you can take them. 15 is kind of a lot, but if you actually like all the classes, you should be fine. And if it's too much, you'll figure it out pretty quickly and can drop a class early on. And taking the pressure off later semesters could be nice if there are fewer things you want to take in later semesters.
I agree with the above advice.

Just to clarify, though -- there's a limit to how much "more now, less later" you can do.

I believe each semester you need to take a minimum of 10 credits, and each year you need a minimum of 26. So you can't, say, take a lot of credits 2L in order to slack off 3L, or take a lot of credits in the fall in order to take a part-time spring load. You also can't take J term off, no matter how many credits you have.

Not necessarily relevant to you, but in case anyone else is figuring this out -- I'd also keep in mind the limits on clinical and cross-registration hours. You can't do more than 12 each. So for example, if you want to do CJI in your 3L year (minimum 4 clinical credits for fall-winter, and 5 for winter-spring), then be careful how many clinical credits you take 2L in order not to foreclose that possibility (4-credit clinic 2L fall + 4-credit clinic 2L spring + 2L J term clinic = no CJI for you).
Wait wut?

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:03 am

despina wrote:each year you need a minimum of 26.
Wait wut?
My mistake, I think it's actually minimum 24 -- see page 20 of the handbook here: http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... 26.142.pdf

You do need 52 upper-level credits total between 2L and 3L. So you could do 28 as a 2L in order to do only 24 as a 3L. But if you do 30 as a 2L, you still need at least 24 as a 3L.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:32 pm

nothingtosee wrote:So for internet, I'm looking here:
http://www.xfinity.com/internet-service.html

Looks to me like the best deal for just internet is $29.99 per month (for the first 12 months).

Kinda concerned by this:

"Comcast's service charge for both products is $66.95/mo."

What does that mean?
So when you click to sign up and put in your address it's 39.99 in cambridge. Is that legal? I sucked in k's. The not available in all areas probably screws me. I hate the lawyer who put that in

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:23 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:So for internet, I'm looking here:
http://www.xfinity.com/internet-service.html

Looks to me like the best deal for just internet is $29.99 per month (for the first 12 months).

Kinda concerned by this:

"Comcast's service charge for both products is $66.95/mo."

What does that mean?
So when you click to sign up and put in your address it's 39.99 in cambridge. Is that legal? I sucked in k's. The not available in all areas probably screws me. I hate the lawyer who put that in
I called about this deal (the $29.99 one) back when I was trying to get internet and they said that that deal was not available in my area and the best I could get was $39.99 - so yeah that's what's up. Alternatively, though I am part of HUH, Verizon was also available as an option though I didn't go with it because it was more expensive.

More piggybacking - Bought a modem for $75 at the Staples (I think - it was a store like that at any rate) right off Central which is definitely cheaper than the $10/month. It was a Motorola Surfboard which is compatible with Comcast. I had to pay the stupid $10 for them to send me the self-install kit that I don't need though. You will need the self-install kit to get internet if you don't have your own coax cable. Alternatively if no one's ever had comcast at your place you may be required to pay $80 or however much it costs to have them come out even though it's completely not needed regardless of which option you pick on line (I've had that happen before to me too).

Annihilist

New

Post by Annihilist » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Are clinic credits more-or-less adhered to?

I'm thinking of reducing my credits in a clinic from 3 down to 2, and wonder whether the project-oriented nature of the course makes weekly time limits even possible.

Another clinic question: Do the accompanying seminars tend to be better taken concurrently with the clinics, the semester before, or no difference either way? Because another option I have is dropping my Fall clinic altogether and picking it back up in the Spring @ 4 Credits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Legal Eagle87

New

???

Post by Legal Eagle87 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:39 pm

???
Last edited by Legal Eagle87 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Legal Eagle87 wrote:If 1L Sears winners typically have 7-8 DS's and grades go up after 1L year, does that mean 2L Sears winners need straight DS's, no margin of error?

(Asking for a friend). (Any Sears winners here?)
Logical fallacy here.

On average grades go up after 1L year. That does not tell you anything about the improvement (or lack thereof) in grades for a narrow subset of the population.

I think the general understanding for 2L classes is that H's are given out more liberally, but DS's remain uncommon.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:45 pm

Legal Eagle87 wrote:If 1L Sears winners typically have 7-8 DS's and grades go up after 1L year, does that mean 2L Sears winners need straight DS's, no margin of error?

(Asking for a friend). (Any Sears winners here?)
FWIW one of the 1L Sears winners this year had 6 DS, and I believe the other one had slightly lower grades (although I don't know for sure). I don't know how typical this year's are, but I don't think 7-8 DS is that common.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:35 pm

Annihilist wrote:Are clinic credits more-or-less adhered to?

I'm thinking of reducing my credits in a clinic from 3 down to 2, and wonder whether the project-oriented nature of the course makes weekly time limits even possible.

Another clinic question: Do the accompanying seminars tend to be better taken concurrently with the clinics, the semester before, or no difference either way? Because another option I have is dropping my Fall clinic altogether and picking it back up in the Spring @ 4 Credits.
Depends on the clinic but, at least for a few, the number of credits will have no impact on the number of hours you work. Which clinic is it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Legal Eagle87

New

???

Post by Legal Eagle87 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:40 pm

???
Last edited by Legal Eagle87 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:44 pm

Are Sears Prize Winners publicly acknowledged prior to graduation, and, if so, when does that happen? I just want to know who from my class to congratulate.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:35 am

Pneumonia wrote:Are Sears Prize Winners publicly acknowledged prior to graduation
As far as I know, no.

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:01 am

I'm hoping someone with knowledge of the parking situation in Cambridge can give me some advice here

I'm moving in this weekend and bringing my car. It's registered out of state at the moment, though, so it looks like I would need a temp permit to park while I register it in MA instead. The problem is that the parking office in Cambridge is only open M-F. Does that mean I have to keep my car in a garage for 3 days? Or is there another option I'm not aware of?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:37 am

robotrick wrote:I'm hoping someone with knowledge of the parking situation in Cambridge can give me some advice here

I'm moving in this weekend and bringing my car. It's registered out of state at the moment, though, so it looks like I would need a temp permit to park while I register it in MA instead. The problem is that the parking office in Cambridge is only open M-F. Does that mean I have to keep my car in a garage for 3 days? Or is there another option I'm not aware of?
Sunday you can park on resident permit streets without getting a ticket. Don't need to take my word for it, it says so on the sign.

You can get a one-day parking pass from Harvard for many of the Harvard parking lots. You just go to their website and print out a form. As memory serves me, it is not too pricey.

Alternately, if you have friends with a Cambridge parking permit, they will also have a visitor's parking permit that they can lend you.

charlie.black

Bronze

Post by charlie.black » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:56 am

codyoneill wrote:
robotrick wrote:I'm hoping someone with knowledge of the parking situation in Cambridge can give me some advice here

Sunday you can park on resident permit streets without getting a ticket. Don't need to take my word for it, it says so on the sign.

You can get a one-day parking pass from Harvard for many of the Harvard parking lots. You just go to their website and print out a form. As memory serves me, it is not too pricey.

Alternately, if you have friends with a Cambridge parking permit, they will also have a visitor's parking permit that they can lend you.
yea...haha i took advantage of the sunday thing and then just hid my car on random obscure streets around cambridge on the other days (when i first got here last year). didn't get a ticket, but wouldn't really recommend my approach.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:22 pm

If anyone's looking to buy a bike, I've got a used one that works fine. $60. PM me if interested!

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm seeing the Harvard parking passes are 7A-1130P. Can I leave it there overnight as well? Or park on the streets overnight?

It's such a pain that the parking office has NO weekend hours.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:31 pm

robotrick wrote:Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm seeing the Harvard parking passes are 7A-1130P. Can I leave it there overnight as well? Or park on the streets overnight?

It's such a pain that the parking office has NO weekend hours.
PM me and I'll let you borrow my visitor parking permit until you get your real permit. Then you don't have to worry about any of this garbage.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Does LRW grading use normal grade curve?

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:53 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Does LRW grading use normal grade curve?
Yes.

doctorjuris

New

Post by doctorjuris » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:12 pm

edited
Last edited by doctorjuris on Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:52 pm

doctorjuris wrote:If any c/o 2017 students had ben-asher for torts and wouldn't mind sending me a PM, I would be your biggest fan :D
Not familiar with this name. Googling suggests she is a visiting prof? In that case, you'd be better off asking the school where she originally teaches.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:45 am

Are reading groups graded, or just credit/no credit? How are they assessed?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:01 am

Pneumonia wrote:Are reading groups graded, or just credit/no credit? How are they assessed?
They're not even required

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:09 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Are reading groups graded, or just credit/no credit? How are they assessed?
They're not even required
I assume he is referring to upper year reading groups, in which case: "All reading groups and independent clinicals, and certain courses with prior approval from the Vice Dean for Academic Programming, will be graded on a Credit/Fail basis. Faculty may not award Credit/Fail grades without prior consultation with the Vice Dean for Academic Programming."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”