Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
az21833

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by az21833 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:00 pm

TripTrip wrote:
heythatslife wrote:I'm considering getting a phone with Virgin Mobile, which piggybacks off Sprint network. Does anyone have experience with Sprint reception in the area?
Sprint works just fine.

Source: Lived in Gropius, have Virgin Mobile cell phone.

is there a VZN discount for Harvard students? I know there is one for employees, but the .jd17.law stuff didn't work...

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:02 pm

t-14orbust wrote:If I have Wells Fargo, should I open another bank account? Don't remember seeing any ATMs or branches around the area.
i think baml and citi are the ones most convenient

rathgra

New

Post by rathgra » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:24 pm

cway wrote:Does anybody know how flexible Rubenstein is about missing class? If you tell him in advance and it's not often, etc etc
If my memory serves me correctly, you don't have to tell him in advance and he doesn't care. You're cold called once during the semester based on where you're from/went to undergrad (For example - I went to undergrad in New York, I was cold called on a case from New York). If you're from an uncommon state (Kansas and Arizona are two that come to mind from last year), it might be a little awkward if you skip that day, but I still doubt he'd really care.
az21833 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:If I have Wells Fargo, should I open another bank account? Don't remember seeing any ATMs or branches around the area.
i think baml and citi are the ones most convenient
There's a BofA ATM in the WCC (and all over Cambridge/Boston), so that's probably the most convenient bank to use.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:22 pm

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:55 pm

az21833 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
heythatslife wrote:I'm considering getting a phone with Virgin Mobile, which piggybacks off Sprint network. Does anyone have experience with Sprint reception in the area?
Sprint works just fine.

Source: Lived in Gropius, have Virgin Mobile cell phone.

is there a VZN discount for Harvard students? I know there is one for employees, but the .jd17.law stuff didn't work...
Verizon? I don't know. With Virgin TBH you don't really need one. $35/month is hard to beat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm

acrossthelake wrote:BoA is going to be the most convenient in the area, yeah.
BofA is probably more convenient but I use TD. There's one right next to Harvard Yard and the checking account I have (I can't remember the name of it) allows you to make withdrawals at any ATM from any institution without any fees (if the other institution charges a fee, TD will cover it for you), as long as you have $2,500 in the account. If you can cover that, I think TD has better customer service than BofA, although I guess that may just be my own opinion.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
BofA is probably more convenient but I use TD. There's one right next to Harvard Yard and the checking account I have (I can't remember the name of it) allows you to make withdrawals at any ATM from any institution without any fees (if the other institution charges a fee, TD will cover it for you), as long as you have $2,500 in the account. If you can cover that, I think TD has better customer service than BofA, although I guess that may just be my own opinion.
Counterpoint: I <3 BoA.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:01 pm

rathgra

New

Post by rathgra » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:37 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:
Yeah in my experience BofA has pretty weak customer service, though I find it's always prevalent wherever I travel within the U.S. so I've tended to favor it. I might switch once I settle down in one place.
Yeah, I went with BofA because it was going to be prevalent in Boston as well as wherever I was going to be during the summers. Customer service is pretty weak. It's no fees for checking if you're a student under 23 (law school counts) or if you maintain a daily balance of $1500.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:03 am

went with Citi. liked their colors more

on a separate note is two journals, an SPO and an affinity group overkill as a 1L? My understanding is 1L time commitment to each of these is relatively limited and I'd rather cast a wide net to see what really grabs my interest in determining which organizations I'd like to take more involved 2L roles with - thanks!

also, does anybody have any input regarding the reputation of the secondary journals around campus? Should we just choose whatever sounds cool (e.g. Sports Law) or are there secondary considerations to be aware of that you could share?

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:16 am

az21833 wrote:
also, does anybody have any input regarding the reputation of the secondary journals around campus? Should we just choose whatever sounds cool (e.g. Sports Law) or are there secondary considerations to be aware of that you could share?
Two journals sounds terrible because it sounds like double the subcites not because it will take too much time. Re: reputation. One of the cool things you will discover is that, despite HLS having the reputation it does your classmates really don't give a shit what you do and don't do. Do what interests you and don't do the other stuff. (No, I don't think secondary journals are better than other secondary journals. Maybe members the Lib, Conservative or Policy ones feel differently.)

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:04 am

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:57 am

wert3813 wrote:One of the cool things you will discover is that, despite HLS having the reputation it does your classmates really don't give a shit what you do and don't do.
Unless you are on two journals with multiple subcites. Then your friends will care because you will always be declining to hang out with them. Day-long subcites every other weekend will eat your soul.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:59 am

acrossthelake wrote:
az21833 wrote:went with Citi. liked their colors more

on a separate note is two journals, an SPO and an affinity group overkill as a 1L? My understanding is 1L time commitment to each of these is relatively limited and I'd rather cast a wide net to see what really grabs my interest in determining which organizations I'd like to take more involved 2L roles with - thanks!

Re: the journals, it depends more in terms of what you're looking for in an org. Are you interested in a more start-up feel (HNLR-Harvard Negotiation Law Review) or larger/more established(JOLT-Journal of Law & Tech or ILR-International Law Journal)? If you're really skewed towards public interest work, you'll find likeminded individuals on HRJ(Human Rights Journal). If you care about the environment, the Environmental Law Journal. If you're conservative, Fed Soc and its corresponding journal will be a place to find likeminded individuals as well, etc. Ardent feminist? Consider HLG(law & gender). If you're hoping to rise to leadership, what are you interested in being in charge of? Selecting articles? Running the entire thing? Editing? Each journal has a different administrative structure and the type of work you'll do in positions with identical titles will vary depending on the journal.

None of this is consequential in terms of interviewing or your resume, but I found it to be a worthwhile practice in skill development for a certain organization structure/size I was looking for. I was friends with EICs of several secondary journals and their experiences were all really different.

If you do 2 journals, don't pick any journals that require multiple subcites (I think ILJ does, but I'm not sure). There is one rising 3L who is the EIC of 2 journals, but she's one of those workaholic types who actually likes staying in on weekends nights doing work. I do think it's better to take it easy on activities first semester, however, until you get grades back. I did 1 journal (subcited), 1 SPO, and 1 affinity org (this is not a real time commitment, this is free food) first semester and found that to be about right.

I did a journal with multiple subcites, an SPO, and 4 other orgs. By the end of first semester, I really hated how thinly I had stretched myself so I cut out 2 of the other orgs and was still annoyed by the time commitment during my second semester. But the experiences were great, which is why I stuck with so many. Try a bunch of things and if you find them enjoyable, stick with them. If you do not really enjoy them, run for the hills.

Lannister_JD

New

Post by Lannister_JD » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:26 am

Can anyone talk about the defenders? Is it worth joining for an incoming 1L? What's the time commitment like? Thanks in advance!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Lannister_JD wrote:Can anyone talk about the defenders? Is it worth joining for an incoming 1L? What's the time commitment like? Thanks in advance!
Is it worth joining as an incoming 1L? Yes. Most Defenders join during 1L. The experience is very unique because you actually represent clients without an attorney in real hearings. The only place you can do that more often as a 1L is PLAP.

The minimum time commitment is 1 hour per week in a team meeting and 1 case per semester. Most people do more than one case, but there are still a lot of 1Ls who just do one case their first semester. A case is generally a few hours of prep followed by the better part of a morning or afternoon. Depending on your 1L schedule, you may have to miss class to appear at the hearing. Professors are generally understanding of this.

As a side note, any Journals, orgs, or SPOs that you don't participate in as a 1L will basically never be relevant on your resume unless you are 100% public interest or want to do a clerkship. Since EIP is before fall semester, the orgs you participate in 2L and 3L are largely for your own interest. (With the two exceptions above.) That's why so few 3Ls are in leadership positions.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:14 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
As a side note, any Journals, orgs, or SPOs that you don't participate in as a 1L will basically never be relevant on your resume unless you are 100% public interest or want to do a clerkship. Since EIP is before fall semester, the orgs you participate in 2L and 3L are largely for your own interest. (With the two exceptions above.) That's why so few 3Ls are in leadership positions.
Yeah, to expand, journal participation is relevant for clerkships. Ideally you'd want to be on law review, but assuming you don't make that, leadership positions on secondary journals will help with clerkships.
Are you at a disadvantage if you wait to join a journal til 2L? (aside from the resume aspect) Like do you gain any valuable skills from them?

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:45 pm

politics89 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Yeah, to expand, journal participation is relevant for clerkships. Ideally you'd want to be on law review, but assuming you don't make that, leadership positions on secondary journals will help with clerkships.
Are you at a disadvantage if you wait to join a journal til 2L? (aside from the resume aspect) Like do you gain any valuable skills from them?
IME people look at it a little oddly, without much of an effect on anything. More like, really? Now is an odd time to join a journal and subcite with 1Ls.
But it absolutely can help develop skills. In keeping with the my first point, though, I got the feeling some people thought I was nuts when I did things that were solely intended to build skills but didn't do much for resume or "networking".

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:52 pm

You won't be leadership on a journal right away 2L if you don't subcite 1L. Since clerkship apps happen 2L, if you're going to want journal leadership on your resume you'll have to start 1L.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Apart from resume, which is plenty of reason in itself, I've learned something new about the Bluebook citation system every time I've subcited. I'm going into my fourth year, and it still happens. It's not a profound benefit, but it's a benefit.

There's also the social aspect; my journal was one way I met people outside my section as a 1L.

(Also, while most clerkships are gotten during 2L year, they also appear to be gotten whenever. Some people get them the summer after 1L year, and some get them during their 3L year. The system is totally screwy right now.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:08 pm

jasper09

Bronze

Post by jasper09 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:57 am

Not to derail the journal conversation, but serious question for the HLS ladies: where do you go to get your hair cut? I've had terrible luck with places like Hair Cuttery because my hair is utterly unruly so I'd prefer someplace where they know how to handle it. TYIA

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:25 pm

haha, jasper, i am so glad you asked that! i need a haircut so desperately and just keep putting it off.

another q:

Can anyone with a car recommend some trustworthy mechanics in the area (preferably foreign auto competent)?

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:29 pm

wealtheow wrote:haha, jasper, i am so glad you asked that! i need a haircut so desperately and just keep putting it off.*/

another q:

Can anyone with a car recommend some trustworthy mechanics in the area (preferably foreign auto competent)?
Don't know how they do with foreign cars, but I highly recommend Arlington Motormart (http://www.yelp.com/biz/arlington-motor-mart-arlington). It was recommended to me by a professor who has been going there for years. I didn't have major work done there, but I liked the service, price, and grumpy-old-man attitude. Basically, it's two old curmudgeons who do good work and don't overcharge. Very upfront and reasonable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”