Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wert3813

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by wert3813 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:53 pm

The tl;dr of this while conversion is try your best in each class.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:10 am

Worked (significantly) harder on LRW than all the other courses last semester. Did worst in LRW. Worked very little (relative to most of class, I mean -- definitely still worked a fair amount) on LRW first semester. Same result. Would like all those hours of my life from second semester back, to have gotten the P that way, plus have used the saved time to have gone to gym or had a social life or really anything other than LRW.

Arbitrary is a strong word -- the absolute best people in the class will get H's, certainly. But let's say 30% get an H -- the bottom 10% will get their P, the top 10% will get their H, and the rest feels like a coin toss. This isn't particularly worse than any other course, I suppose, but for some reason it was just way more annoying with LRW. Probably because of the consistently contradictory feedback from BSA/fellow, just as a start.

Maybe I exercised a skill that will come in handy when an SA position rolls around? Time will tell. I'm pessimistic on that front, though. That said I kind of enjoyed LRW (wasn't one of the haters, of which there were many).

Fred012

Bronze

Post by Fred012 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:52 pm

so, can someone be in both fedsoc and acs for the outlines/exam banks or is this considered bad practice? worth noting my political views are moderate and kinda a smorgasbord of conservative views fiscally and liberal views on social topics, so neither is really a true home

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Fred012 wrote:so, can someone be in both fedsoc and acs for the outlines/exam banks
Tons of people do this. They don't care because $$.

euskadi

Bronze

Post by euskadi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Does anyone know what happened to beathecoop.com? If it has a different URL or (much more likely) it has vanished? My thanks in advance!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fred012

Bronze

Post by Fred012 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:34 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Fred012 wrote:so, can someone be in both fedsoc and acs for the outlines/exam banks
oh didn't realize they charged haha, how much?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:41 pm

TripTrip wrote:
I don't think they charge money. If they do, the membership is cheap (I think <$10?).

In either case, you'll find that getting access to outlines is not as easy as just signing up. FedSoc has gradually tightened their requirements and only gives outline bank access to members who are active in FedSoc and/or involved in JLPP, and I think ACS is moving in the same direction (although not 100% sure of this). I mention this as a warning in case you were thinking you could just get outlines access at the end of the semester -- not quite that simple. Perhaps someone else more familiar with the respective ACS and FedSoc requirements can speak to them.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:58 pm

ACS is $10. FedSoc is $5.

If only there were some unaffiliated outline bank that was completely open to 1Ls. :roll:

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:07 pm

TripTrip wrote:ACS is $10. FedSoc is $5.

If only there were some unaffiliated outline bank that was completely open to 1Ls. :roll:
<3

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:15 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
TripTrip wrote:ACS is $10. FedSoc is $5.

<3
Just in case any of the 1L's haven't seen the WLA bank:

http://www3.law.harvard.edu/orgs/wla/ --> Resources --> Outline bank --> login with your HLS pin --> woo!
euskadi wrote:Does anyone know what happened to beatthecoop.com? If it has a different URL or (much more likely) it has vanished? My thanks in advance!
Second this question. What happened?

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:17 pm

I thought beathecoop was pretty much fully absorbed into hlsdope -- or maybe they're totally unafilliated, I dunno.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:33 pm

NoLongerALurker wrote:I thought beathecoop was pretty much fully absorbed into hlsdope -- or maybe they're totally unafilliated, I dunno.
Amazing, thank you. Different format but looks just as thorough so must be the same thing: http://hlsdope.org/outlines

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:11 pm

despina wrote:
NoLongerALurker wrote:I thought beathecoop was pretty much fully absorbed into hlsdope -- or maybe they're totally unafilliated, I dunno.
Amazing, thank you. Different format but looks just as thorough so must be the same thing: http://hlsdope.org/outlines
Indeed, all BTC outlines are on HLS Dope.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:28 pm

TripTrip wrote:
despina wrote:
Indeed, all BTC outlines are on HLS Dope.
They are there because HLS Dope mined BTC (with BTC's after-the-fact approval). BTC is not affiliated with HLS Dope.

BTC was taken down for code rewriting, but I'm not sure why it has been down for so long.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:01 pm

tomwatts wrote:BTC is not affiliated with HLS Dope.
Can confirm. HLS Dope is just one guy, and is not the same person as the BTC/Owlr duo. He also apparently talks about himself in the third person.
tomwatts wrote:BTC was taken down for code rewriting, but I'm not sure why it has been down for so long.
Because Carlos is lazy. :D

Or more likely because of the apartment/subletting hub BTC is working toward, which is significantly more lucrative than giving away outlines.

Fred012

Bronze

Post by Fred012 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:06 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
I don't think they charge money. If they do, the membership is cheap (I think <$10?).

In either case, you'll find that getting access to outlines is not as easy as just signing up. FedSoc has gradually tightened their requirements and only gives outline bank access to members who are active in FedSoc and/or involved in JLPP, and I think ACS is moving in the same direction (although not 100% sure of this). I mention this as a warning in case you were thinking you could just get outlines access at the end of the semester -- not quite that simple. Perhaps someone else more familiar with the respective ACS and FedSoc requirements can speak to them.
in that case any idea which group has more resources and is more commitment friendly for 1Ls?

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:54 am

Fred012 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

in that case any idea which group has more resources and is more commitment friendly for 1Ls?
Fred have you met any gunners yet? If not, have you ever seen this bit from Dane Cook before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEO_28VrJLQ

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:21 pm

Any tips for how I can synthesize my book highlighting and class notes into the sort of thing that'd be useful for exams? Is that what people do when they create outlines...? Yeah, I'm already the worst at this.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:11 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Any tips for how I can synthesize my book highlighting and class notes into the sort of thing that'd be useful for exams? Is that what people do when they create outlines...? Yeah, I'm already the worst at this.
Yes, that's exactly what outlining is, and you shouldn't / needn't do it now. You haven't had enough class yet to be able to meaningfully condense and synthesize, so of course if you're trying to do it already you'll be terrible at it!

How and when to outline has been discussed earlier in this thread a couple of times (and extensively on other TLS threads). I started the Sunday after Thanksgiving 1L year and found that was fine; some start a few weeks earlier than that, but most wouldn't recommend starting before November.

So no worries. If you're reading carefully, taking notes, and paying attention in class, you're doing exactly what you need to be doing and you're well on your way to a good outline.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Last edited by lawlorbust on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:37 pm

lawlorbust wrote:do we have 24/7 access to lockers? i'm hoping to use mine to store my gym stuff, and pick stuff up 6-7 am ish just when the gym opens.

is this possible?
Yes, all the lockers are in the basement of the WCC or in the tunnel that's connected to the basement of the WCC. You can get into the WCC 24/7. Off hours, you just have to use your keycard. Annoyingly, many of the other buildings, Austin included, don't let you buzz in off hours (and some do on weekdays but not on weekends), so you may need to walk all the way to the WCC and back via the tunnels depending on where your locker is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fred012

Bronze

Post by Fred012 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:26 pm

any other section 3 around here by chance?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:27 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Any tips for how I can synthesize my book highlighting and class notes into the sort of thing that'd be useful for exams? Is that what people do when they create outlines...? Yeah, I'm already the worst at this.
I outlined pretty early, and I didn't start until the beginning of October. There is no conceivable way it is sensible to outline after 1-2 weeks of class. Wait until you have some idea what you're learning and how it fits together before you even think about this.

When it is time — and it won't be time for another month, at minimum — then it's not a bad idea to go onto some of the open outline banks (e.g., HLS Dope) and see what outlines for each subject look like. Someone else's outline for Civ Pro might not be what you want to do for Civ Pro, but if you compare a few, you can see what might work for you.

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Anyone know how accurate the tentative exam schedules are? Trying to book flights and was wondering if they (Fall 2014) were likely to shift at all in terms of time and date.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:06 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:Anyone know how accurate the tentative exam schedules are? Trying to book flights and was wondering if they (Fall 2014) were likely to shift at all in terms of time and date.
I've never had one change.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”