Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TripTrip

Gold

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by TripTrip » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:10 am

drawstring wrote:Sorry if this has been asked many times before (I searched and didn't find what I was looking for), but does anyone know how people with straight passes or close to it tend to fare in hiring, both during summers and upon graduation?
For first summer, grades are basically irrelevant because you'll be doing PI. For second summer, have a look at the later pages of this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=211151

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 pm

drawstring wrote:Sorry if this has been asked many times before (I searched and didn't find what I was looking for), but does anyone know how people with straight passes or close to it tend to fare in hiring, both during summers and upon graduation?
I believe they do just fine. They might not get Wachtell or anything, but they will most likely find a biglaw job, as long as they bid with common sense.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Re: Doctor Applying to Harvard Law...any others?

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Dr. C wrote:Hello HLS students. I have a unique question for all of you: are there any physicians currently enrolled as law students at Harvard? I'm a public health physician who will be applying to HLS this year, and I'm wondering if there are others. I posted this question under the general topic for all grad students and didn't get any answers specific to Harvard. Thoughts?
I know a 3L who was 2 years through her MD, changed her mind, and decided to do law school. She plans on going into health law-related PI work.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks for the responses TripTrip and ph14.

Does everyone do PI first year?

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:22 pm

drawstring wrote:Does everyone do PI first year?
Most people do, since 1L summer associate positions are quite competitive post-2008 (depending on the market, you can find more info about this elsewhere on the forum I'm sure).

In 2013, 363 1Ls qualified for summer public interest funding (non-profit or government), compared to 93 2Ls.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... stics.html

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:54 pm

despina wrote:
Most people do, since 1L summer associate positions are quite competitive post-2008 (depending on the market, you can find more info about this elsewhere on the forum I'm sure).

In 2013, 363 1Ls qualified for summer public interest funding (non-profit or government), compared to 93 2Ls.

I'm surprised both that the number of 1Ls getting SPIF is as low as 363 and that the number of 2Ls is as high as 93.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:20 am

cerealdan wrote:
despina wrote:

I'm surprised both that the number of 1Ls getting SPIF is as low as 363 and that the number of 2Ls is as high as 93.
Why are you surprised?

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:01 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
despina wrote:

Why are you surprised?
Eh, just my idle (and obviously inaccurate) perception based on the kinds of summer jobs people I know have done/are doing.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:41 pm

cerealdan wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
Why are you surprised?
Eh, just my idle (and obviously inaccurate) perception based on the kinds of summer jobs people I know have done/are doing.
Yeah I'd second this surprise actually, based on my own idle and inaccurate perceptions as well

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Has anybody on here had Roin for Torts and have or know of an outline they'd like to share? I've started taking notes within other people's outlines in some classes and it is working very well for me, but I can't find anything good for his class. I have tried Googling it, but the few relevant results that show up are not particularly good.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Also, as far as summer job placement goes, OCS mentioned, in a recent presentation, that roughly 20% of 1Ls spend their summer at firms (no delineation between BigLaw and small/midsize firms) and roughly 80% at clerkships or PI. For the 2L summer, the numbers roughly flip, with ~80% spending the summer at firms and ~20% at PI and a few at clerkships.

I may be slightly off on the PI and clerkship breakdown (within the 20%) but I know the Firm numbers are right.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:27 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:Also, as far as summer job placement goes, OCS mentioned, in a recent presentation, that roughly 20% of 1Ls spend their summer at firms (no delineation between BigLaw and small/midsize firms) and roughly 80% at clerkships or PI. For the 2L summer, the numbers roughly flip, with ~80% spending the summer at firms and ~20% at PI and a few at clerkships.

I may be slightly off on the PI and clerkship breakdown (within the 20%) but I know the Firm numbers are right.
(Externship or internship, not clerkship)

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:46 pm

For 1L spring electives what international course do you recommend? Also what is a good/ not too hard 1L elective?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:51 am

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:For 1L spring electives what international course do you recommend? Also what is a good/ not too hard 1L elective?
Blum seems to be the consensus favorite for PIL (you probably have to rank her first). I've heard several of the profs are new this year though so you might have to do some research outside of HLS.

Negotiation Workshop is a great choice for an elective but it's really only worth doing if you're willing to put effort into it. Reasons to do it as a 1L:
--if you want to do it later you have to rank it first, which means you'll have a harder time getting your favorite clinic / trial advocacy workshop / Klarmann / Hanson etc. As a 1L all you have to do is apply, and most 1L applicants get in.
--it's the prereq for the Negotiation clinic plus upper-level classes like multiparty, facilitation, etc.
--it's a total change of pace from your 1L classes, much more practical and engaging.
--you learn actual useful skills so... the sooner you learn them the sooner you get to use them in your real life?

Reasons not to take it as a 1L:
--4 credits, but 8 hours of class per week (and you really can't slack much on prep for the simulations because then you're letting your counterparty down and not getting much out of it yourself). Kind of insane on a 1L schedule.
--You have to take it for a grade, but if you take it 2L/3L you can take it pass/fail.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 pm

I took a seminar as a 1L elective and liked it. Typically they're 2 hours once per week (with more than half the reading of a 4-hour-per-week class, but still) and you write a paper.

I took the China class with Alford for the international req. I was way out of my depth (it was not my top choice), but if you're into China, it's a really good class.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Anything with Nesson, if all you care about is having the best shot at an H

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:For 1L spring electives what international course do you recommend?
Take the one with Wu.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:59 am

Mista Bojangles wrote:Anything with Nesson, if all you care about is having the best shot at an H
More like most random chance at getting an H.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 am

tomwatts wrote:I took a seminar as a 1L elective and liked it. Typically they're 2 hours once per week (with more than half the reading of a 4-hour-per-week class, but still) and you write a paper.

I took the China class with Alford for the international req. I was way out of my depth (it was not my top choice), but if you're into China, it's a really good class.
I think public international law is the best choice for international class. Especially if you don't have any particular interest in any of the offerings.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:23 am

Do you guys have any idea of how common low passes are now? I recall reading that it was first recommended that 8 percent of students in a course receive them, but I also recall reading a post from a couple years ago that in practice a smaller proportion were given out.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 am

drawstring wrote:Do you guys have any idea of how common low passes are now? I recall reading that it was first recommended that 8 percent of students in a course receive them, but I also recall reading a post from a couple years ago that in practice a smaller proportion were given out.
Hard to tell. I'd guess less than 8% but there's no way to know really. It also seems professor specific, since I think lps are discretionary. I don't think they're anything to excessively worry about really.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:14 am

Mista Bojangles wrote:Anything with Nesson, if all you care about is having the best shot at an H
Nessons class is the worst educational experience I've ever had in my life (including elementary school).. and it isn't close. Him having a job is a major argument against tenure.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:51 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:
Nessons class is the worst educational experience I've ever had in my life (including elementary school).. and it isn't close. Him having a job is a major argument against tenure.
I get why people think this, but on the flip side of this, I'm in his American Jury and its one of the most awesome classes I'm taking this year. The thoughts I get to think in that class are fascinating. Not sure how relevant for later but most certainly most fascinating.

lakers24fan

New

Post by lakers24fan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:19 am

Anyone know of a good tailor near the law school?

heythere2016

New

Post by heythere2016 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:05 am

Does anyone know how difficult it is for 1L's to get RA positions over the summer? Is the process usually to reach out the professors on your own or just wait for the listings?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”