Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
echamberlin8

Bronze

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by echamberlin8 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks for the answer, Tom. If I got into HLS, which of course is a big reach, but still possible, it seems like it'd be hard to pass up the opportunity for the sterling reputation of a Harvard JD/MBA. Even though I'm aware it's not necessary for corporate law, or even necessary for transferring into post-BigLaw business opportunities outside of the legal field, it just seems like a great thing to have on one's resume. I'm also very interested in learning more about business.

Are you planning to go after the dual degree, Tom?

Qwerty12345

New

Post by Qwerty12345 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Do any of you have experience with the "From Harvard Square to the Oval Office" program? Is it typical something one would put on their resume? How much of an edge does it give to graduates when it comes to finding policy and politics-related positions?

Thanks

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu May 10, 2012 3:09 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:Thanks for the answer, Tom. If I got into HLS, which of course is a big reach, but still possible, it seems like it'd be hard to pass up the opportunity for the sterling reputation of a Harvard JD/MBA. Even though I'm aware it's not necessary for corporate law, or even necessary for transferring into post-BigLaw business opportunities outside of the legal field, it just seems like a great thing to have on one's resume. I'm also very interested in learning more about business.

FWIW, it's pretty easy to cross-reg if you want to take some HBS/HKS classes. I'm not sure the JD/MBA is worth the investment if you plan to go into biglaw.

PKozi

New

Post by PKozi » Thu May 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Another question for tomwatts (or anyone else doing a dual degree):

It seems to me that one of the most important aspects of a law degree (especially from Harvard) is the relationships you build with your classmates. The JD/MPP program kind of chronologically knocks you out of your cohort. Are you going to make any kind of concerted effort to stay involved with the law school during your year at HKS? (I'm curious because I'm doing a JD/MPP starting at HLS in the fall).

Side note, will your email address still have ".jd14" even though you'll be graduating in '15?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu May 10, 2012 5:46 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:Thanks for the answer, Tom. If I got into HLS, which of course is a big reach, but still possible, it seems like it'd be hard to pass up the opportunity for the sterling reputation of a Harvard JD/MBA. Even though I'm aware it's not necessary for corporate law, or even necessary for transferring into post-BigLaw business opportunities outside of the legal field, it just seems like a great thing to have on one's resume. I'm also very interested in learning more about business.

Yeah, I'll be at HKS in the fall.

My feeling is that if you think you would really enjoy and be interested in taking the first-year core (which I heard that you can't cross-register for — you have to cross-register at MIT's Sloan if you want first-year MBA courses), and if the debt won't be a problem (because you're going to go for biglaw, etc.), then you may as well go for it. The Harvard JD/MBA is one of the best-established and strongest joint degree programs anywhere.
PKozi wrote:Another question for tomwatts (or anyone else doing a dual degree):

It seems to me that one of the most important aspects of a law degree (especially from Harvard) is the relationships you build with your classmates. The JD/MPP program kind of chronologically knocks you out of your cohort. Are you going to make any kind of concerted effort to stay involved with the law school during your year at HKS? (I'm curious because I'm doing a JD/MPP starting at HLS in the fall).

Side note, will your email address still have ".jd14" even though you'll be graduating in '15?
Yes, I am going to try to stay involved with the law school while I'm gone. Some of the activities are pretty open to keeping you on while you're away for the year. I'm going to try to stay involved with my journal, HLPR, which is awash with joint-degree students, and there will be a few other things. A good number (maybe 3 or 4?) students from my section are JD/MPP students, too, so it's not as though I'm totally severing my relationship with the people I've known this year.

And yeah, my email address is staying .jd14, despite the actual graduation year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SubwaySandwich

New

Post by SubwaySandwich » Thu May 10, 2012 9:30 pm

For those living in Terry Terrace or know people living there:

Do you know how bad the construction/maintenance has been in terms of noise there recently? I'm currently deciding on whether to sign a lease there, but there were documents in the lease saying that multiple construction projects on the building will occur in the following year. I'm a little bit wary.

Thanks for any help!

Ballislife

New

Post by Ballislife » Thu May 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Can anyone talk about their experience working with Prof Elhauge as a 0L RA?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:51 pm

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Fri May 11, 2012 12:07 am

acrossthelake wrote:
SubwaySandwich wrote:For those living in Terry Terrace or know people living there:

Do you know how bad the construction/maintenance has been in terms of noise there recently? I'm currently deciding on whether to sign a lease there, but there were documents in the lease saying that multiple construction projects on the building will occur in the following year. I'm a little bit wary.

Thanks for any help!
The one good friend I have who lives in Terry Terrace hasn't mentioned it, though that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a problem. (He could just choose not to whine about it.)

The Major annoyance with Terry Terrace was the construction of the North building (The Wasserstein Hall, Caspersen Student Center), now that it's done I would think the relatively minor work on Terry Terrace itself would be no big deal. You could always walk across the street to study if you were so inclined. The location is superlative.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Fri May 11, 2012 7:23 am

Oh crap, I got a dorm room on a floor with a lounge. Then again, I like parties 8)

Can someone please un-ban my ip address? I could have used this information before selecting.

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:32 am

concurrent fork wrote:

FWIW, it's pretty easy to cross-reg if you want to take some HBS/HKS classes. I'm not sure the JD/MBA is worth the investment if you plan to go into biglaw.
Thanks. Do you think it would be worth it if I think I'd eventually move away from BigLaw and into another industry? For instance, move onto a consulting firm or something equivalent after 3-4 years at BigLaw? Or is having a JD sufficient for firms like that?

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:34 am

tomwatts wrote:

Yeah, I'll be at HKS in the fall.

My feeling is that if you think you would really enjoy and be interested in taking the first-year core (which I heard that you can't cross-register for — you have to cross-register at MIT's Sloan if you want first-year MBA courses), and if the debt won't be a problem (because you're going to go for biglaw, etc.), then you may as well go for it. The Harvard JD/MBA is one of the best-established and strongest joint degree programs anywhere.
PKozi wrote:Another question for tomwatts (or anyone else doing a dual degree):

Yes, I am going to try to stay involved with the law school while I'm gone. Some of the activities are pretty open to keeping you on while you're away for the year. I'm going to try to stay involved with my journal, HLPR, which is awash with joint-degree students, and there will be a few other things. A good number (maybe 3 or 4?) students from my section are JD/MPP students, too, so it's not as though I'm totally severing my relationship with the people I've known this year.

And yeah, my email address is staying .jd14, despite the actual graduation year.
That's what I was thinking in terms of the JD/MBA. I undoubtedly will have to go into BigLaw for a while anyways if I get into HLS, since I'm going to be paying pretty close to sticker (hopefully could get some needs-based aid, but I'm not sure exactly how that works), so why not get an MBA while I'm there to maximize my time and investment?

Not sure if I read your message properly, but is it true that you can get a HLS JD and a MIT MBA if one doesn't get into HBS?

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Fri May 11, 2012 10:00 am

PKozi wrote:The JD/MPP program kind of chronologically knocks you out of your cohort. Are you going to make any kind of concerted effort to stay involved with the law school during your year at HKS? (I'm curious because I'm doing a JD/MPP starting at HLS in the fall).
Also considering a joint degree (JD/MBA) and had the exact same concern. FWIW, the current editor of the Law Review is a JD/MBA student. Pretty good evidence that doing a joint doesn't hamstring your involvement at HLS, if you ask me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri May 11, 2012 10:22 am

echamberlin8 wrote:Question: On one of the other forums I heard that Harvard still has a policy that for JD/MBA dual-degree students, that once you got into HLS, that it made getting into HBS slightly easier. Does anyone know anything about this?
i am skeptical. i know at least a few people that applied as 1L's and were rejected. although you did qualify your statement as "slightly" so who knows? i have a feeling that they would probably still require 1-2 years of high quality work experience (so no K-JDs or starbucks baristas).

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:17 pm

englawyer wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:Question: On one of the other forums I heard that Harvard still has a policy that for JD/MBA dual-degree students, that once you got into HLS, that it made getting into HBS slightly easier. Does anyone know anything about this?
i am skeptical. i know at least a few people that applied as 1L's and were rejected. although you did qualify your statement as "slightly" so who knows? i have a feeling that they would probably still require 1-2 years of high quality work experience (so no K-JDs or starbucks baristas).
Do you think working as a paralegal at a V25 firm would count as "high quality work experience"?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:37 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Do you think working as a paralegal at a V25 firm would count as "high quality work experience"?
Probably not.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri May 11, 2012 5:53 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:Not sure if I read your message properly, but is it true that you can get a HLS JD and a MIT MBA if one doesn't get into HBS?
HLS students can cross-register for MIT classes, but HLS JD/MIT MBA isn't listed as one of the official joint degrees, although apparently people have arranged for concurrent degrees with MIT in the past (not sure if Sloan specifically).
englawyer wrote:i know at least a few people that applied as 1L's and were rejected. although you did qualify your statement as "slightly" so who knows? i have a feeling that they would probably still require 1-2 years of high quality work experience (so no K-JDs or starbucks baristas).
Yeah, there is an important point to be made here. A boost is not an automatic admission. Being an HLS student counts significantly in your favor but doesn't guarantee that you'll get in.
Syme wrote:
PKozi wrote:FWIW, the current editor of the Law Review is a JD/MBA student.
There are 88 editors of the law review....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:00 pm

tomwatts wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:Not sure if I read your message properly, but is it true that you can get a HLS JD and a MIT MBA if one doesn't get into HBS?
HLS students can cross-register for MIT classes, but HLS JD/MIT MBA isn't listed as one of the official joint degrees, although apparently people have arranged for concurrent degrees with MIT in the past (not sure if Sloan specifically).
englawyer wrote:i know at least a few people that applied as 1L's and were rejected. although you did qualify your statement as "slightly" so who knows? i have a feeling that they would probably still require 1-2 years of high quality work experience (so no K-JDs or starbucks baristas).
Yeah, there is an important point to be made here. A boost is not an automatic admission. Being an HLS student counts significantly in your favor but doesn't guarantee that you'll get in.
Syme wrote:
PKozi wrote:FWIW, the current editor of the Law Review is a JD/MBA student.
There are 88 editors of the law review....
I think we can safely assume he means editor-in-chief.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun May 13, 2012 6:58 pm

ph14 wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Probably not.
+1 probably not, but worth the app. the MBA process is much more thorough though, so be prepared for a bigger time sink (i would start it this summer). MBA recs are a pain, as you will need a couple from your former supervisors at work, and I believe at least 3 overall so one prof.

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys. My biggest issue with even thinking about the MBA is, like you guys said, that I don't have enough (or, more specifically, the right type of) work experience to qualify for admissions to a good B-school.

Other than the supervisor recommendations (I can't imagine this will take me any longer than academic recommendations will, since I've been out of college for about 3 years now...come to think of it, I need to think of professors to write me recommendations for law school), what else is a time-suck about the business school application in comparison to the law school one?

Thanks for the extremely helpful answers, guys!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Mon May 14, 2012 8:58 am

echamberlin8 wrote:Thanks for the tips, guys. My biggest issue with even thinking about the MBA is, like you guys said, that I don't have enough (or, more specifically, the right type of) work experience to qualify for admissions to a good B-school.

Other than the supervisor recommendations (I can't imagine this will take me any longer than academic recommendations will, since I've been out of college for about 3 years now...come to think of it, I need to think of professors to write me recommendations for law school), what else is a time-suck about the business school application in comparison to the law school one?

Thanks for the extremely helpful answers, guys!
#1) GMAT: need to study and take a whole other test. By the way, it costs like $200.

#2) essays: rather than a single "personal statement" that is rather generic, each MBA school has like 4-5 of their own essay questions. and they are actually important! this will take a long time.

#3) resume: polish resume up (this is good for a 0L to do anyway though)

#4) interview prep: think about weaknesses in your app to address, get a suit, practice, research career paths, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

Thanks. Do you think it would be worth it if I think I'd eventually move away from BigLaw and into another industry? For instance, move onto a consulting firm or something equivalent after 3-4 years at BigLaw? Or is having a JD sufficient for firms like that?
No, I don't think it's worth it for biglaw. You learn everything on the job. As for non-legal exit options: Moving to consulting or i-banking after starting in biglaw is really difficult, and you shouldn't plan your degree around it. If you want to work at McKinsey, you're much better off summering there and starting after graduation than trying to transition from biglaw (not sure why you would do this anyways, since you would probably make less and work just as hard).

At the end of the day, you need to decide whether you want a career in law or consulting. It will be very difficult to have it both ways.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue May 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Many thanks again to those of you who take time to do this. It has been very helpful.

I have another question for people who deferred before enrolling. After your deferral gets approved, does the Office of Admissions send out any kind of correspondence during the 1-2 years off to keep in contact with you and remind you what procedures need to be taken? All I've gotten so far is an email informing me that the deferral request is granted, no instructions or anything else. Also, did anyone attend multiple ASW's in separate years? If so, did you find it helpful/worth the time and expense to do so?

Thanks again :P

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Wed May 16, 2012 1:39 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Many thanks again to those of you who take time to do this. It has been very helpful.

I have another question for people who deferred before enrolling. After your deferral gets approved, does the Office of Admissions send out any kind of correspondence during the 1-2 years off to keep in contact with you and remind you what procedures need to be taken? All I've gotten so far is an email informing me that the deferral request is granted, no instructions or anything else. Also, did anyone attend multiple ASW's in separate years? If so, did you find it helpful/worth the time and expense to do so?

Thanks again :P
They reminded me when I had to send in my like... I forget what it was called, but a form saying "Yes, I'm still coming." And then all the finaid info. You won't hear from them for a while, but you will eventually.

I didn't come to ASW during my deferral year (I had come the year before), but I don't really know what the point would have been unless I needed an excuse to come to Boston...

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Wed May 16, 2012 1:43 am

hey guys, I'm already here (lawl) but does anyone know when we get our spring grades? I've been having shameful gunnery stress dreams and it's only been a week :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”