Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
despina

Bronze

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by despina » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
delusional wrote:There is this weird phenomenon where people pretend not to be working hard for some reason. Not sure what the point of it is. It's not intrusive or anything, but they'll just randomly make comments like, "I didn't do any of the readings until spring break", and then at some point it hits you that this is a total lie.
lol. this. best brief encapsulation of HLS culture that i've seen on this board
This phenomenon continues to perplex me.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:31 am

despina wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:
delusional wrote:There is this weird phenomenon where people pretend not to be working hard for some reason. Not sure what the point of it is. It's not intrusive or anything, but they'll just randomly make comments like, "I didn't do any of the readings until spring break", and then at some point it hits you that this is a total lie.
lol. this. best brief encapsulation of HLS culture that i've seen on this board
This phenomenon continues to perplex me.
I think the explanation is that everyone going into HLS is Type-A over-achievers who graduated at the top of college. After fall grades come in, 80% of HLS is not in the top 20% for the first time in their lives. Pretending that their performance was caused by not trying hard is a coping mechanism that allows everyone to delude themselves.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:25 am

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:42 am

ph14 wrote:People do generally care less as 2Ls and especially 3Ls, I think. But it's rare to see true "slacking" that you might see in undergrad as a 1L, though i'm sure there are some people. In any event, I can't see how this would really change your decision to attend HLS or the way you proceed through law school at all.
Whatever response provided to my inquiry wouldn't have had any impact on such decision you mention. I was just curious.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:47 am

acrossthelake wrote:You find that phenomenon at competitive undergrads, as well. It's not unique to HLS.

Also, it isn't always a lie. Some people really do walk into exams with just an old outline and no real prep otherwise, but they're far more rare than most claim.
Acrossthelake, you seem to spend a whole lot of time here on TLS, how do you still manage your grades? (assuming you do manage your grades to a respectable standard)

On a totally unrelated note, did (or still do) a lot of HLS guys hit on you on campus? Cuz I remember you saying that you look a lot like your profile pic. Do you respond by saying you have 500 pages to read over the weekend?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:49 am

englawyer wrote:I think the explanation is that everyone going into HLS is Type-A over-achievers who graduated at the top of college. After fall grades come in, 80% of HLS is not in the top 20% for the first time in their lives. Pretending that their performance was caused by not trying hard is a coping mechanism that allows everyone to delude themselves.
But it starts before grades come out. I think it's really that people don't want to be seen as over-aggressive gunners, and they don't know how to be normal but try to pursue good grades at the same time. (Frankly, it's a hard thing to do.) So saying "I'm not trying that hard" is code for "I'm trying not to be overly freaked out and aggressive."

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:40 am

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Does anyone know anything about the professors teaching corporations in the Fall: Fried, Coates, Ramseyer or Kraakman?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:14 pm

tomwatts wrote:
englawyer wrote:I think the explanation is that everyone going into HLS is Type-A over-achievers who graduated at the top of college. After fall grades come in, 80% of HLS is not in the top 20% for the first time in their lives. Pretending that their performance was caused by not trying hard is a coping mechanism that allows everyone to delude themselves.
But it starts before grades come out. I think it's really that people don't want to be seen as over-aggressive gunners, and they don't know how to be normal but try to pursue good grades at the same time. (Frankly, it's a hard thing to do.) So saying "I'm not trying that hard" is code for "I'm trying not to be overly freaked out and aggressive."
Or maybe people really didn't try that hard? I know I found law school extremely chill and fun. Few hours here and there; kept up with the readings for the most part, never stayed up late to study -- some people are just better at school and exams (this is not meant as a brag as you will find this ability is pretty useless in the real working world haha. I'd much rather have been able to develop a strong work ethic as that would serve me 10000x better throughout life).

I mean I wasn't gunning for those DS's (I never got one in my whole HLS career lol), but I did well enough to graduate cum laude. I also probably gravitated toward people who are similar to me in their approach to school as most of my closest friends at HLS certainly did not study or stress about school any more than I did. I'm sure though that out of a class of 550 you can always find types of every color.

imo, however you approached/studied for ugrad or the LSAT or whatever, expect to kick it up a notch in law school. But you aren't going to be going from never studying in ugrad to pulling all-nighters or vice versa.

Oh, and as a final plug for TX law firms (customary DoubleChecks requirement), because I knew I wanted to return home to TX, and that TX law firms for the most part do not require exemplary grades out of HLS students, I found the whole law school grades -> law firm employment experience much more pleasant. Add in the bonus that TX firms hire 1Ls (which effectively means you secure a 2L summer offer before OCI even starts) and poof, watch that stress vanish :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:44 pm

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:45 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I feel like you could turn this thread into a drinking game. Take a shot whenever DoubleChecks discusses Texas, tomwatts writes a verbose, but helpful long post, anybody asks acrossthelake a personal question or discusses her avatar, etc.
10 shots whenever someone asks a financial aid question.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:00 pm

ph14 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:I feel like you could turn this thread into a drinking game. Take a shot whenever DoubleChecks discusses Texas, tomwatts writes a verbose, but helpful long post, anybody asks acrossthelake a personal question or discusses her avatar, etc.
We'd be drunk by page 142.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:00 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
ph14 wrote:
We'd be drunk by page 142.
We'd be 6 feet under by page 142.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:10 pm

But where should I look for housing and parking in Cambridge with my HBS sugar daddy if I have 2 H's and 3 LP's?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:13 pm

despina wrote:But where should I look for housing and parking in Cambridge with my HBS sugar daddy if I have 2 H's and 3 LP's?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lameslice57

New

Post by lameslice57 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:18 pm

Does anybody know if there is any rescheduling mechanism for two exams within twenty four hours?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:23 pm

lameslice57 wrote:Does anybody know if there is any rescheduling mechanism for two exams within twenty four hours?
--LinkRemoved--

Seems like you are out of luck.
1. Deferred examination requests will NOT be granted for the following reasons:

a) Employment reasons

b) Travel/vacation/social plans

c) Bar review courses

d) Conflicts with a class at another school.

e) Exams that are scheduled within a short time period, except as explained below in Section IV.B.2.

f) Medical problems that do not seriously interfere with immediate pre-exam preparation or the student’s ability to take the exam on the scheduled exam day

g) Airline flights and schedules.

Note: The Administrative Board does not approve deferment for research opportunities, clinical experiences (other than as described in Section IV.B.2.(a)(iii)), school-sponsored trips or classes.

2. Deferred examination requests may be granted in limited circumstances as explained below:

a) To request deferment under the following circumstances (IV.B.2(a)i-iv), students should submit a letter or email the Office of the Registrar at least two weeks prior to the exam, giving reason, name of exam, and exam date appearing on the exam schedule.

i. Where two Harvard Law School examinations, for courses that do not share the same time block, are scheduled on the same day, one exam will be deferred.

ii. Religious observance conflict. A student who cannot take an exam at the time scheduled for religious reasons will be allowed to take it at a different time.

iii. Unavoidable conflicts with court hearings or other administrative proceedings connected to the Clinical Programs. The student must exhaust all means of avoiding the conflict by attempting to reschedule the hearing or attempting to arrange coverage of the hearing by another qualified student or attorney.

iv. Conflicts with an exam in a cross-registered course (e.g., Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard Business School); on a showing that the other school will not move the exam, the Law School exam will be deferred.

b) To request deferment under the following circumstances (IV.B.2(b)i-vi), J.D. students should contact the Dean of Students and LL.M and S.J.D. students should contact the Graduate Program:

i. Illness of Student: A student must first contact Law School Health Services at 617-495-4414 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm weekdays or Harvard University Health Services 617-495-5711 after 5:00 pm weekdays and on weekends. A student must give Health Services permission to discuss his or her general situation with the student’s personal doctor and with Accessibility Services in the Dean of Students Office. A student must receive medical clearance before an exam can be deferred on this basis. In cases of medical deferment, the student will be required to take the exam as soon as the student is able according to the doctor’s assessment.

ii. Death or serious illness of a person in the immediate family or other person with whom the student has a similarly close relationship, which requires the student’s attention away from the Law School during the exam period.

iii. Personal emergency that interferes with an exam or immediate pre-exam preparation.

iv. Delivery of child that interferes with an exam or immediate pre-exam preparation (applies to either parent).

v. Unavoidable military commitment.

vi. Educational opportunities that are deemed extraordinary by the Administrative Board, such as participation as a speaker in a conference or paper presentation outside of the Cambridge area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:57 am

Hey ph14, any tips on the law review competition?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:53 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Hey ph14, any tips on the law review competition?
Unfortunately, I'm not supposed to give any strategic advice in order to maintain a level playing field. You might consider attending the tips sessions, they are decently helpful.

hwannabe1234

New

Post by hwannabe1234 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi,

I am interested in JD-MBA.

I got in as a K-JD (I am still doing my undergraduate school).

I was wondering if one who comes directly after undergrad could get into JD-MBA program if they apply at their 1L year.

Alternatively, I am thinking of 2+2 program but I am not prepared enough for GRE or GMAT and taking 2 extra years seems kind of overwhelming for me as of now.

Which do you think have more chances?

THANKS!!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:57 pm

hwannabe1234 wrote:Hi,

I am interested in JD-MBA.

I got in as a K-JD (I am still doing my undergraduate school).

I was wondering if one who comes directly after undergrad could get into JD-MBA program if they apply at their 1L year.

Alternatively, I am thinking of 2+2 program but I am not prepared enough for GRE or GMAT and taking 2 extra years seems kind of overwhelming for me as of now.

Which do you think have more chances?

THANKS!!
http://www.hbs.edu/mba/find-answers/Pages/default.aspx
What is the desired length of work experience you wish to see in candidates?

The HBS MBA Program is designed for students who have full-time work experience before matriculation. College seniors are encouraged to apply in the expectation that they will be offered "deferred admission", i.e. an offer of admission to a future class conditional upon acquiring full-time work experience, as a positive outcome. It is important for candidates to assess their own readiness when deciding to apply: there is no universal "right" time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Am I stupid for trying to save $150-200+ by crashing at a friend's place near Mass. College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (45-60 minutes by public transport to HLS) for ASW?

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:56 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Am I stupid for trying to save $150-200+ by crashing at a friend's place near Mass. College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (45-60 minutes by public transport to HLS) for ASW?
Don't you live in NY? I feel like commuting 45 mins is no problem after living in like Queens or Brooklyn or something.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:01 pm

paglababa wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:Am I stupid for trying to save $150-200+ by crashing at a friend's place near Mass. College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (45-60 minutes by public transport to HLS) for ASW?
Don't you live in NY? I feel like commuting 45 mins is no problem after living in like Queens or Brooklyn or something.
CA lol. I'm more worried about the costs of getting back to his place to crash after being out drinking until midnight+.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:04 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
paglababa wrote:
CA lol. I'm more worried about the costs of getting back to his place to crash after being out drinking until midnight+.
While it's inconvenient via public transport, it's not far via taxi, so you'll be fine getting back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”