Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
owlofminerva

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by owlofminerva » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:46 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:I know someone who failed PSW
:shock:

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:41 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:I know someone who failed PSW
Lolwut I remember people literally showing up with booze to PSW. Did this person physically assault the professor or something?

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:14 am

Was pretty much entirely for lack of attendance reasons, was my understanding. The person got a warning from the professor after missing a bunch of class, then blew it one more time, then was told not to bother coming back to class bc she wouldn't be passing. Moral of the story, stay in school kids. Or at least show up to PSW, even if you do it drunk

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:22 am

Mista Bojangles wrote:Was pretty much entirely for lack of attendance reasons, was my understanding. The person got a warning from the professor after missing a bunch of class, then blew it one more time, then was told not to bother coming back to class bc she wouldn't be passing. Moral of the story, stay in school kids. Or at least show up to PSW, even if you do it drunk
The professor who (I assume) did this told me this story verbatim last week.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:23 am

Speaking of failure for lack of attendance, do these 1L reading group things show up on our transcript? sigh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

owlofminerva

New

Post by owlofminerva » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:18 am

wwwcol wrote:Speaking of failure for lack of attendance, do these 1L reading group things show up on our transcript? sigh.
No, but only the 1L ones. If it is one of the one-credit reading groups you sign up for during registration, those do show up. That said, if you signed up for one, the meetings are pretty infrequent and the groups so small that you should probably go in my opinion.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:31 am

wert3813 wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:Was pretty much entirely for lack of attendance reasons, was my understanding. The person got a warning from the professor after missing a bunch of class, then blew it one more time, then was told not to bother coming back to class bc she wouldn't be passing. Moral of the story, stay in school kids. Or at least show up to PSW, even if you do it drunk
The professor who (I assume) did this told me this story verbatim last week.
I knew someone who almost failed PSW. He missed the first week (and the class is only 3 weeks long), and the warning he got from the teacher was (in these words), "This class is Pass/Fail, but that doesn't mean there aren't two options."

He started showing up after that.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:23 pm

When do the 2L and 3L grades come out? Are they all released all at once in January like 1L? And if it's a trickle class-by-class, do you get emails or do you have to check HELIOS?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TakeABow94

New

Post by TakeABow94 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:39 pm

nvm
Last edited by TakeABow94 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:44 pm

TakeABow94 wrote:someone just ranked the thread's namesake school in the 2nd worst tier in dating among the T14. i'm not gonna say anything about the ls student body in general because I haven't seen too many of them but I thought CB, MA & Boston were hotbeds for power couple selection? everyone is 99th percentile @ something (leadership smarts etc) and doing big stuff. the graduate community there is huge. dunno how much of a town/gown thing is going on there, but can current students elaborate on the dating scene?

also, for those of you who are not joint degree holders: how easy is it to socialize your way into an hbs yacht party? not like literally a yacht party but you know, networking with hbs/hks students when you're not one yourself. I know there are grad mixers but do you pretty much have to hustler to get invites to more mellow gatherings?
I never understand these questions. There are a few hundred thousand 18-28 year olds in the Boston area. Dating works exactly like it would in any other place. Any "girls are hard to date/guys aren't looking for anything" anecdotes are going to be pretty useless.

Likewise, if you have friends at HBS they will invite you to stuff. If you don't, I wouldn't recommend eavesdropping around campus and showing up at random parties for no apparent reason. You can take classes at HBS, there are mixers, there is HALB, there are JD/MBAs, etc. Its just like in undergrad when you tried to meet people who lived in different dorms.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:27 am

acrossthelake wrote:
zor wrote:When do the 2L and 3L grades come out? Are they all released all at once in January like 1L? And if it's a trickle class-by-class, do you get emails or do you have to check HELIOS?
Released all at once like 1L, but some profs for upperlevel classes blow off the deadline sometimes by weeks.
I swear I saw an update somewhere that said that now they're going to release them as they come in for 2Ls and 3Ls, not all at once. But now I can't find that update anywhere. I may have made this up.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:58 am

AllTheLawz wrote:
TakeABow94 wrote:someone just ranked the thread's namesake school in the 2nd worst tier in dating among the T14. i'm not gonna say anything about the ls student body in general because I haven't seen too many of them but I thought CB, MA & Boston were hotbeds for power couple selection? everyone is 99th percentile @ something (leadership smarts etc) and doing big stuff. the graduate community there is huge. dunno how much of a town/gown thing is going on there, but can current students elaborate on the dating scene?

also, for those of you who are not joint degree holders: how easy is it to socialize your way into an hbs yacht party? not like literally a yacht party but you know, networking with hbs/hks students when you're not one yourself. I know there are grad mixers but do you pretty much have to hustler to get invites to more mellow gatherings?
I never understand these questions. There are a few hundred thousand 18-28 year olds in the Boston area. Dating works exactly like it would in any other place. Any "girls are hard to date/guys aren't looking for anything" anecdotes are going to be pretty useless.

Likewise, if you have friends at HBS they will invite you to stuff. If you don't, I wouldn't recommend eavesdropping around campus and showing up at random parties for no apparent reason. You can take classes at HBS, there are mixers, there is HALB, there are JD/MBAs, etc. Its just like in undergrad when you tried to meet people who lived in different dorms.
This. And inevitably there will be Harvard undergrads/Ivy undergrads who know people from other programs on campus. There is probably a larger amount of cooler young people around, especially if you consider anyone who goes to Harvard or MIT cool. Be normal. Make friends in your section at first, branch out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:11 pm

TakeABow94

New

Post by TakeABow94 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:27 pm

nvm
Last edited by TakeABow94 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:01 am

TakeABow94

New

Post by TakeABow94 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:19 pm

anybody here a proctor/tutor or HUG alum who had exp with their proctor/tutors? I didn't know the deadline was next week

what experiences are they looking for and what skills should I explicitly include (or subtly slip in) in my cover letter or app essay?

question 2: I've seen some posts about going abroad on hls's dime. how exactly do you get them to cover your travel & lodging expenses? when's the earliest you can accomplish this? 2L, 3L year? can you just say you want to fly to Paris to "research differences between civ and common law systems" or is that too romantic?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:11 am

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 am

TakeABow94 wrote:anybody here a proctor/tutor or HUG alum who had exp with their proctor/tutors? I didn't know the deadline was next week

what experiences are they looking for and what skills should I explicitly include (or subtly slip in) in my cover letter or app essay?

question 2: I've seen some posts about going abroad on hls's dime. how exactly do you get them to cover your travel & lodging expenses? when's the earliest you can accomplish this? 2L, 3L year? can you just say you want to fly to Paris to "research differences between civ and common law systems" or is that too romantic?
Just fyi, it's not as easy as people (like HLS admin) make it seem.

TakeABow94

New

Post by TakeABow94 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:12 am

what isn't? becoming a tutor or getting funding? any takers for the first question about being a tutor/proctor?
BlakcMajikc wrote:
TakeABow94 wrote:anybody here a proctor/tutor or HUG alum who had exp with their proctor/tutors? I didn't know the deadline was next week

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:16 am

TakeABow94 wrote:what isn't? becoming a tutor or getting funding? any takers for the first question about being a tutor/proctor?
BlakcMajikc wrote:

the second Q. getting funding etc for research or a clinical placement abroad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:55 am

Jaspers

New

Post by Jaspers » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:15 pm

2 questions-

1. Anyone know anything about the Petrie-Flom student fellowship? It's open to all Harvard graduate students but the center is based at HLS, and I was wondering how competitive the fellowship is as a 3L.

2. How do HLS students tend to fare in patent law? For example, would a median student with a strong scientific background in a desirable area have a good shot at firms like Kirkland or Paul Weiss NYC?

Thanks!

EliPedDH

New

Post by EliPedDH » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Jaspers wrote:2 questions-

1. Anyone know anything about the Petrie-Flom student fellowship? It's open to all Harvard graduate students but the center is based at HLS, and I was wondering how competitive the fellowship is as a 3L.

2. How do HLS students tend to fare in patent law? For example, would a median student with a strong scientific background in a desirable area have a good shot at firms like Kirkland or Paul Weiss NYC?

Thanks!
2: HLS students fare really well in patent law and IP litigation at OCI. From what I've seen, top students usually fight hard for the top NYC and DC firms (e.g., V3 NYC, W&C DC, Wilmer DC, Covington DC). Unless you are socially awkward or weird, having median grade with a strong scientific background would make you competitive not only for Kirkland NYC and Paul Weiss NYC, but also for the best CA firms (e.g., MoFo, Cooley, Latham) and Boston firms (e.g, Ropes, Goodwin).

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:06 pm

EliPedDH wrote:
Jaspers wrote:2 questions-

Thanks!
2: HLS students fare really well in patent law and IP litigation at OCI. From what I've seen, top students usually fight hard for the top NYC and DC firms (e.g., V3 NYC, W&C DC, Wilmer DC, Covington DC). Unless you are socially awkward or weird, having median grade with a strong scientific background would make you competitive not only for Kirkland NYC and Paul Weiss NYC, but also for the best CA firms (e.g., MoFo, Cooley, Latham) and Boston firms (e.g, Ropes, Goodwin).
Median students without IP should be competitive for Kirkland or PW. With IP more so.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”