Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
EdSaid

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by EdSaid » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Can 1Ls join any of the reading groups? The website makes it sound like there are reading groups just for 1Ls, but when I searched the course catalog for reading groups, I didn't see any of them being marked as only for 1Ls or anything like that.

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:59 pm

EdSaid wrote:Can 1Ls join any of the reading groups? The website makes it sound like there are reading groups just for 1Ls, but when I searched the course catalog for reading groups, I didn't see any of them being marked as only for 1Ls or anything like that.
There are 1L specific reading groups, but I don't think 1Ls can enroll in the ones that are just listed in the course catalog.
Cobretti wrote:
scifiguy wrote:Do any students here collect stuffed animals?

Would it be weird to have a stuffed animal social group/club in law school?
I miss this... please start making threads again.
+1

I, Lawyer

New

Post by I, Lawyer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm planning on repaying my loans with beanie babies. I mean they have to be worth something one of these days, right?

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:07 pm

I, Lawyer wrote:

I'm planning on repaying my loans with beanie babies. I mean they have to be worth something one of these days, right?
I had a Garfield Beanie, but he's lost now. I think he got lost possibly during a moving/packing process. :( But, yeah, it's possible they will be worth something some day as a collectible. :P

To elaborate on my post, I was thinking it could not only be a club for students who collect stuffed animals, but also be a charity as well. Every Christmas (and even on normal days of the year), there are many children across the U.S. who for a variety of reasons may not get gifts and toys. Some have parents who are incarcerated, whereas others may come from poor families barely able to make ends meet. These are kids who may not get to enjoy "normal" kid things and a kids life the same way many of us do.

For those who have a heart for kids and also stuffed animals, this club could be a great way to share our passion for stuffed animals, while also setting up an annual Christmas law student children's charity drive. We could all pick out neat stuffed animals that we think the kids would love and create a donation in the name of our law school club. It'd be a neat social outlet for law students too. :)

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Cobretti wrote:

I miss this... please start making threads again.
I don't make threads anymore. There was an explanation as to why in another thread (I believe it was the "biglaw social atmosphere one" ..I think ...or perhaps the "biglaw performance enhancers" one). But I do post in existing threads. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:06 am

roranoa wrote:Acrossthelake, I've been meaning to ask this for a long time, is your profile pic your actual photo?? And what's the general quality of HLS ladies?(appearance-wise)

*Edited for spelling and extra question.
:lol: I think he was hoping we all had famous-actress quality looks.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
roranoa wrote:Acrossthelake, I've been meaning to ask this for a long time, is your profile pic your actual photo?? And what's the general quality of HLS ladies?(appearance-wise)

As long as we are on the subject I felt like everyone at orientation was freakishly good looking. Like I didn't see a single fat person and after a while started looking because I was so weirded out by it.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:09 am

wert3813 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

As long as we are on the subject I felt like everyone at orientation was freakishly good looking. Like I didn't see a single fat person and after a while started looking because I was so weirded out by it.
You mean ASW, where you met current 1Ls? Yeah, they don't allow the fat 1Ls to attend that

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:24 am

wert3813 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

I think JS started the Skype chat interviews to weed out the fat & ugly ones. Good for her.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:15 pm

How serious is the "no coffee makers in the dorms" rule? It's just a cruel joke, right?
If it makes any difference, mine's just a one cup brewer that shuts off as soon as it's out of water. No hot plate or anything.

Just signed up for the WLA mentor program too - has anyone else done this, or is a big sister this year? I'm pretty excited about it.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:33 pm

gertie

New

Post by gertie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:34 pm

I signed up also.
sabanist wrote:How serious is the "no coffee makers in the dorms" rule? It's just a cruel joke, right?
If it makes any difference, mine's just a one cup brewer that shuts off as soon as it's out of water. No hot plate or anything.

Just signed up for the WLA mentor program too - has anyone else done this, or is a big sister this year? I'm pretty excited about it.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:46 pm

sabanist wrote:How serious is the "no coffee makers in the dorms" rule? It's just a cruel joke, right?

I'm not even living in the dorms and learning that you can't have coffee makers has left me shaken. It's OK, you can come to my place and get coffee. I have an espresso machine, a drip maker, a French press, and a Vietnamese filter. I... might have a problem.

And I signed up for that too! I'm really curious to see who I'm paired with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:59 pm

What do people do for fun at Harvard? Do people go out to bars ocassionally on weekends? Or is everyone really studious

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:36 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:What do people do for fun at Harvard? Do people go out to bars ocassionally on weekends? Or is everyone really studious
A good group of folks goes out to bars every weekend (starting with bar review on Thursday). HLS students are just a bunch of nerdy twenty-somethings, but we're still people... some of us....

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:52 am

Does Harvard reallyx2 average multiple LSAT scores? Any inside scoop on this?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:43 pm

roranoa wrote:Does Harvard reallyx2 average multiple LSAT scores? Any inside scoop on this?
What have you been doing for the past 4 years of your life since you've signed up?
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:What do people do for fun at Harvard? Do people go out to bars ocassionally on weekends? Or is everyone really studious
For 40% of people, it's whatever normal 20 somethings do on a weekend. For another 40% of people, it's what especially nerdy and introverted normal 20 somethings do on a weekend. For the final 20% of people, it's studying in Wasserstein and/or their apartment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:52 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
roranoa wrote:Does Harvard reallyx2 average multiple LSAT scores? Any inside scoop on this?
What have you been doing for the past 4 years of your life since you've signed up?
I've been getting mixed answers and I actually never asked anyone on this thread.
To answer your question more literally I've been watching a lot of TV and wasting my life.

But seriously, does HLS actually average everyone with multiple scores? Or is it more flexible on this.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:19 am

roranoa wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
I've been getting mixed answers and I actually never asked anyone on this thread.
To answer your question more literally I've been watching a lot of TV and wasting my life.

But seriously, does HLS actually average everyone with multiple scores? Or is it more flexible on this.
No chance I'd have been admitted if HLS had actually averaged my two scores. HTH

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:21 pm

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Can 1Ls participate in the Employment Law Clinic in the Spring (I'm assuming definitely not in the Fall)? Also, any thoughts on that clinic?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote: No chance I'd have been admitted if HLS had actually averaged my two scores. HTH

If they don't really average, then why do they say they do officially?

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:40 pm

kulshan wrote:Can 1Ls participate in the Employment Law Clinic in the Spring (I'm assuming definitely not in the Fall)? Also, any thoughts on that clinic?
Can't do Clinics your 1L year- not that you would want to anyway with the amount of work they are.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:48 pm

roranoa wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote: No chance I'd have been admitted if HLS had actually averaged my two scores. HTH

the only thing HLS loves more than keeping up appearances is keeping up medians. why not do both at once?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Wormfather wrote:
roranoa wrote:

They don't say so officially (they probably use the word holistic or something similar) and if they do, it's just for show.

They DO interview candidates and there you will have to carry on a normal conversation wherein you might ask a question, get a reasonable answer and have to accept it.

You should work in that.
Haha. Now the poor kid will probably go into his JS1 and ask JS whether Harvard averages scores, and if not, why the stated policy on the website is incorrect.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”