Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nonconsecutive

Gold

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri May 06, 2016 8:14 am

barley wrote:0L here! How common it is to have to stay late at school for study groups/extracurriculars/etc? I'm generally a home studier, but if I have to stay late a lot that might affect where I decide to live..

Thank you!!
The only time I've been on campus late (after 10pm for me) has been because of voluntary stuff, such as journal work. I've had more than a few classes that end at 7pm, but those were all electives.

As for "mandatory" stuff, yeah, as mentioned there is a chance you'll get into an LRW where your Climenko it might actually it run until 7pm.
Dcc617 wrote:I was trying to get HUH housing but my window is not until 2 June. How boned am I?
Not inherently boned, it just depends on what your looking for and how neurotically you are willing to check the currently available list. I had a similar window and got what I wanted, but as referenced, those "windows" are savage. For instance I had the apartment I wanted selected and confirmed within 9 seconds.

earthabides

Bronze

Post by earthabides » Fri May 06, 2016 9:40 pm

tomwatts wrote:
earthabides wrote:Thanks for the tips on room selection.

I've decided I'd be great with any room on Ames 1 & 2 other than the Type 6 rooms. Is that broad enough for being in the third window?
My best guess, based on vague recollections of having done this a few times, is yes.

Have they gone to having any gender-neutral bathrooms in the dorms? Because when I lived there, Ames 1 and 2 had different gender bathrooms, so they're not interchangeable (though I guess they both have lounges, and they're more interchangeable if you're indifferent to kitchen location).

Re late nights on campus: there are some free dinners for evening events if you're into that kind of thing, and LRW is sometimes late-ish (I think 5-7 usually). And there are evening seminars that you might take in second semester of 1L or in later years. So I liked being near enough to campus that I didn't have any trouble getting back and forth at all hours of the day, sometimes repeatedly, but it wasn't necessary.
Lookes like Ames 1 is male and Ames 2 is gender-neutral

Orion311

Bronze

Post by Orion311 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:38 pm

HLSstudent wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:I was trying to get HUH housing but my window is not until 2 June. How boned am I?
I had a similar window last year. There were a few good apartments still available (Terry Terrace & 29 Garden), though they were gone within minutes of the window opening. Also, keep an eye out on the currently available list. After the view and select window ends, some good apartments will show up there as people change their minds about their selection.
Does anyone know if any of those remaining Terry Terraces/29 Gardens are ever studios? Do the studios run out early?

I have a late May window and would basically only be shooting for a studio, so I want to know if I should give up and look elsewhere before I have to leave town.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat May 07, 2016 10:02 pm

when do people mass mail smaller firms/firms that dont come to EIP? Right during EIP time?

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sat May 07, 2016 10:59 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:when do people mass mail smaller firms/firms that dont come to EIP? Right during EIP time?
Do people actually do that? Are you at risk of striking out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat May 07, 2016 11:06 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:when do people mass mail smaller firms/firms that dont come to EIP? Right during EIP time?
There's no reason to do that during EIP.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Sat May 07, 2016 11:11 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Maybe he's interested in a smaller market... Isn't that what ppl do if the firms they want don't come to eip?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 08, 2016 1:04 am

lawlorbust wrote:
not everyone wants to work at NYC V10 lol

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun May 08, 2016 1:21 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:
Which would be a legit response if, you know, there were only 10 firms from 1 city coming to EIP.

Seriously, you're at HLS. You'll probably be fine. Chill out and let EIP be before you start panicking that you're interested in Strook & Strook or Pepper Hamilton for the "realistic partnership track" and "work-life balance."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 08, 2016 2:06 am

lawlorbust wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:
Which would be a legit response if, you know, there were only 10 firms from 1 city coming to EIP.

Seriously, you're at HLS. You'll probably be fine. Chill out and let EIP be before you start panicking that you're interested in Strook & Strook or Pepper Hamilton for the "realistic partnership track" and "work-life balance."
im legitimately interested in markets that send very few firms to EIP. im not too worried about EIP i already have a 1lsa at a large firm and should be fine but thanks for the concern lol

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun May 08, 2016 7:26 am

I have a vague impression that you mass-mail on August 1. Anyone know otherwise?

merrick_garland

New

Post by merrick_garland » Sun May 08, 2016 9:33 am

What's the timeline for EIP re: call-backs, offers, and acceptances? Do most call-backs happen the week after EIP (August 15-19)? When does you start to get offer and when do you generally start letting firms know/what is the usual deadline for letting firms know?

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun May 08, 2016 9:48 am

merrick_garland wrote:What's the timeline for EIP re: call-backs, offers, and acceptances? Do most call-backs happen the week after EIP (August 15-19)? When does you start to get offer and when do you generally start letting firms know/what is the usual deadline for letting firms know?
Callbacks can happen the same week of EIP (think a day or two after your screener). Then you have some flexibility in arranging your interview; offer timing is quite market dependent (NY moves fastest).

You have 28 days from your offer. No pressure at all to take the full time.

I'd seriously read through OCS's website, which has pretty useful information.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun May 08, 2016 3:31 pm

lawlorbust wrote:Callbacks can happen the same week of EIP (think a day or two after your screener). Then you have some flexibility in arranging your interview; offer timing is quite market dependent (NY moves fastest).
I read that differently than you probably intended. I think most people mean "callback interview" when they just say "callback," but I'm pretty sure you meant "callback offer."

So, just for clarity, the callback offer comes within a day or two of the screener, and the callback interview comes basically at any time between the end of EIP and the beginning of school (and usually firms offer some flexibility regarding the date of the callback interview). The SA offer can come at the end of the callback interview or later, sometimes several days or even a week later.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun May 08, 2016 4:33 pm

^^ That's a good clarification.

To 1Ls: Seriously, please observe Charles Hotel etiquette and not pick up calls / voicemails in public places.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun May 08, 2016 6:04 pm

tomwatts wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:Callbacks can happen the same week of EIP (think a day or two after your screener). Then you have some flexibility in arranging your interview; offer timing is quite market dependent (NY moves fastest).
I read that differently than you probably intended. I think most people mean "callback interview" when they just say "callback," but I'm pretty sure you meant "callback offer."

So, just for clarity, the callback offer comes within a day or two of the screener, and the callback interview comes basically at any time between the end of EIP and the beginning of school (and usually firms offer some flexibility regarding the date of the callback interview). The SA offer can come at the end of the callback interview or later, sometimes several days or even a week later.
It must be said that smaller firms and satellite offices of bigger firms often are slower with callback. Often a week or so. Truer still for DC and the west coast.

panli19

New

Post by panli19 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:45 am

I have two questions.
1. how easy is it to get the single rooms in Hasting? I have the before last room selection window and I'm wondering whether I should get my hopes up.

2. Also how do the small singles in Hasting compare to the regular ones? From the floor plan I cannot tell why they are $100 cheaper per month.

thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue May 10, 2016 8:45 am

panli19 wrote:I have two questions.
1. how easy is it to get the single rooms in Hasting? I have the before last room selection window and I'm wondering whether I should get my hopes up.

2. Also how do the small singles in Hasting compare to the regular ones? From the floor plan I cannot tell why they are $100 cheaper per month.

thanks
Lacking anyone else's answer who knows better, I'll hazard guesses.

1. I think it's fairly easy, because those rooms are so expensive that most people don't want them.

2. I think they're slightly smaller in square footage, but I'm not sure whether you would really notice much of a difference once inside one. I don't think it's a huge difference.

fdssfdsfdsfdsfd

New

Post by fdssfdsfdsfdsfd » Tue May 10, 2016 9:53 am

Is there any difference between the different Gropius buildings? Are any preferable to the others? I intend to get a small single. Also, any word on any of the floors being better than others?

Eta: never mind. Saw earlier discussion in this thread
Last edited by fdssfdsfdsfdsfd on Tue May 10, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue May 10, 2016 10:15 am

lawlorbust wrote: Which would be a legit response if, you know, there were only 10 firms from 1 city coming to EIP.

There are lots of cities that send minimal representation to EIP. For those cities, it can be especially helpful to mass-mail. Believe it or not, the NY-hiring partner who will be here at EIP isn't the most generous interviewer for someone who wants to work in Portland.

Also, and I can't believe I'm having to say this, but when someone at HLS is targeting a smaller market it is almost certainly not because they're panicking about their large-market prospects.

Your advice about waiting until after EIP to target smaller firms and markets is also terrible. In many cases, hiring will be completed for those firms by mid-August.

ETA: Mack, I don't know which market you're talking about so it's hard to give specific advice. August 01 is good starting point, but in some cases I think that might be too late. You might try reaching out to recruiting to let them know you're interested beginning as early as June. Something along the lines of "when/how/to whom would it be best for me to send in my materials?" is perfectly appropriate. If the firm doesn't have a recruiting person, try to find out who the hiring partner's assistant is (you can do this by calling reception; they won't connect it to you). Happy to chat small firm/market if you want to PM me.

ValeVale

New

Post by ValeVale » Sun May 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Any idea of a general timeframe that grades are likely to be released?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 15, 2016 7:51 pm

ValeVale wrote:Any idea of a general timeframe that grades are likely to be released?
I think around the week of June 20th but correct me if I'm wrong

hlsperson123

New

Post by hlsperson123 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
ValeVale wrote:Any idea of a general timeframe that grades are likely to be released?
I think around the week of June 20th but correct me if I'm wrong
Because I love to stress about about things I have no control over, I have actually looked this up. Last year it was on June 10, the year before on June 12. That's for 1L grades, and you'll probably get your elective before then, usually a few business days before graduation.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p8643072

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p7766137

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun May 15, 2016 9:18 pm

Grade release timelines are actually in the original post in this thread.

in the process

New

Post by in the process » Mon May 16, 2016 2:01 pm

Last edited by in the process on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”