Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
asdlfjsafn

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by asdlfjsafn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:25 pm

I doubt this is possible, but figured it didn't hurt to ask:

Is there any way to see where people with similar grades ended up in past years? I'm thinking like LSN but with 1L grades and firm outcomes rather than LSAT/GPA and school outcomes. OCS would have the info but they probably don't make it public, right?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:19 pm

asdlfjsafn wrote:I doubt this is possible, but figured it didn't hurt to ask:

Is there any way to see where people with similar grades ended up in past years? I'm thinking like LSN but with 1L grades and firm outcomes rather than LSAT/GPA and school outcomes. OCS would have the info but they probably don't make it public, right?
The best you get is this page, which isn't much.

riverboat

New

Post by riverboat » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:31 pm

removed

gamerish

Gold

Post by gamerish » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:43 pm

SFS won't talk to me until basically August so I figured I might as well pose this here:

I got a provisional max aid award (it'll be somewhat lower when I actually start since I am unexpectedly making decent money this summer) which seems to mean to me that I only have to take out the mandatory $48,000/year in loans and get the rest in grant aid up to the student budget. Assuming a $2,000/year increase in the minimum loan amount (I think it was $46,000 last year), would I be correct in assuming that I'd be looking at taking out $150,000 (48+50+52) in loans (before interest, fees, etc) so long as I don't borrow more than the projected COA?

Second part of that question, not really knowing how H does its summer income fin aid re-evaluation for 2/3L, does the math essentially work out the same if I just reduce my summer income by whatever the calculator on the SFS website says, rather than by reducing the actual grant aid?

I'm really just trying to figure out how to best plug this into the COA spreadsheet. Thanks.

rico32

New

Post by rico32 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:57 pm

Hi all,

I'll be starting at HBS in the fall of 2017 (had to defer for personal reasons) and had a few questions about the JD/MBA program that I was unable to find on any threads:

1. I've heard that there are approximately 12 JD/MBAs per year. Is that because only ~12 qualified candidates apply to each program per year, or are there quite a few more -- and they simply cap it at ~12?

2. Are admissions even harder for MBA students hoping to get into the law school (because of the academic rigor of the combined programs) or is it easier (since being an MBA student is a decent soft)? Or the same?

Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:29 am

rico32 wrote:1. I've heard that there are approximately 12 JD/MBAs per year. Is that because only ~12 qualified candidates apply to each program per year, or are there quite a few more -- and they simply cap it at ~12?

2. Are admissions even harder for MBA students hoping to get into the law school (because of the academic rigor of the combined programs) or is it easier (since being an MBA student is a decent soft)? Or the same?
1. There's no cap. You just have to get into both HLS and HBS independently, and that's pretty hard to do. A lot of people who get into one school don't get into the other, because the standards are at least somewhat different. (More emphasis on resume at HBS, more emphasis on grades/test scores at HLS.)

2. Being in at HBS is a small boost to getting into HLS, because, as you suggested, it's a good soft. But it's only a small boost; you still need the grades/LSAT score, for the most part.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:31 am

rico32 wrote:Hi all,

I'll be starting at HBS in the fall of 2017 (had to defer for personal reasons) and had a few questions about the JD/MBA program that I was unable to find on any threads:

1. I've heard that there are approximately 12 JD/MBAs per year. Is that because only ~12 qualified candidates apply to each program per year, or are there quite a few more -- and they simply cap it at ~12?

Thank you!
Part of the reason there are only 12 is because there aren't many things you can do with both degrees that you couldn't do with just one. Maybe you have other reasons for wanting both, but if you'd like to talk about the options each side offers: I have a JD and am going to consult for MBB. Shoot me a PM.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:44 am

TripTrip wrote:
rico32 wrote:Hi all,

Thank you!
Part of the reason there are only 12 is because there aren't many things you can do with both degrees that you couldn't do with just one. Maybe you have other reasons for wanting both, but if you'd like to talk about the options each side offers: I have a JD and am going to consult for MBB. Shoot me a PM.
TBF, TripTrip could have done anything he wanted. He's that dude.

Still there are a lot of JD only people going into PE, Consulting, etc. Unless you want to DO THE LAW just enjoy the two year party at HBS. #notbitter

grgregregre

New

Post by grgregregre » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:56 pm

I was wondering if anyone had insight into taking the Federal GradPLUS loans v. private loans. On the SFS website they list reasons why people should choose federal but when I looked at private loan options through the link on the SFS website it seems that there are several with lower interest rates than the GradPLUS that have added benefits such as no fee upon receiving the loan.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:15 am

grgregregre wrote:I was wondering if anyone had insight into taking the Federal GradPLUS loans v. private loans. On the SFS website they list reasons why people should choose federal but when I looked at private loan options through the link on the SFS website it seems that there are several with lower interest rates than the GradPLUS that have added benefits such as no fee upon receiving the loan.

Does anyone have any insight into this?
There's no origination fee for the federal loans either. But if you can get a fixed lower interest rate for the amount of money you need, I don't see why not. In my research, I found a lot of loans that looked too good to be true and then were (usually they'd advertise a low interest rate that I didn't qualify for, or it was a very variable rate). But if you have already built better credit than me, maybe you can get a better rate than Grad+.

Also, with GradPlus loans you can cancel and return any amount within six months interest free. This is clutch if you are unsure about what budget you'll need.
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:
TBF, TripTrip could have done anything he wanted. He's that dude.

Still there are a lot of JD only people going into PE, Consulting, etc. Unless you want to DO THE LAW just enjoy the two year party at HBS. #notbitter
;)

I agree with SML here. As great as HLS is, if I could do it over again and just go to HBS instead I would have less debt and would have had more direct job prospects. The JD now raises more questions than anything else. My family thinks I will be consulting on legal issues because they just can't fathom why you'd get a JD and not do law things.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:59 pm

TripTrip wrote:call in
Any stats on no offers?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:33 pm

gamerish wrote:I got a provisional max aid award (it'll be somewhat lower when I actually start since I am unexpectedly making decent money this summer) which seems to mean to me that I only have to take out the mandatory $48,000/year in loans and get the rest in grant aid up to the student budget. Assuming a $2,000/year increase in the minimum loan amount (I think it was $46,000 last year), would I be correct in assuming that I'd be looking at taking out $150,000 (48+50+52) in loans (before interest, fees, etc) so long as I don't borrow more than the projected COA?
I was in essentially the same position, and yes, I think your number calculations look pretty accurate. You can most likely come in under that number as well.

rico32

New

Post by rico32 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:06 am

Thanks everyone! Great insight. TripTrip, I'll be sending you a PM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:26 am

pinkpanda wrote:Hey all, for clerkships and EIP, are H and DS grades in 2-credit classes viewed differently than those grades in 4-credit classes? That is, does a judge or firm look at an H/DS in LRW or a seminar as equivalent to an H/DS in a black letter law class? Thanks!
Usually the first review of an application will be done by the clerks, and they typically "count the Hs" without considering how many credits each course was worth. If anything, this review is more focused on the number of black letter classes (good) compared to seminars and "law and [X]" courses (bad).

Once you get past the clerks to the judge, he or she may look a little more closely at the credits, but even then I think it's unlikely.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:35 am

Hypothetically speaking of course ( :wink: ), does doing a district clerkship first bolster the chances of getting a circuit clerkship for those of us with meh grades?

I'm sure OCS could give me a more individualized answer on this; jw about TLS experiences

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:53 am

IME, yes. I know a number of people who didn't get circuit clerkships right out of law school, who got them after doing a district clerkship. They were really good candidates, but coming out of my law school (lower T1) very few people are super strong COA candidates coming straight out of school (we'd usually get 1-2 people a year hired into COA for post-graduation). More accurately, they got the COA after getting hired for the district clerkship - often you get hired for the second clerkship before you've even started the first, but having it still helps. Sometimes it's just having the district clerkship on your resume, sometimes it's because the district court judge will go to bat for you.

Edit: whoops, thought this was the clerkship thread - didn't mean to post in the Harvard thread.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:33 am

radio1nowhere wrote:Hypothetically speaking of course ( :wink: ), does doing a district clerkship first bolster the chances of getting a circuit clerkship for those of us with meh grades?

I'm sure OCS could give me a more individualized answer on this; jw about TLS experiences
I think it would help,. This is especially true of you've already started the District Court clerkship and your current judge is willing to be a reference, or better yet, make a few phone calls on your behalf.

Even if not, the fact that you have a District Court clerkship is helpful because (1) is demonstrates that you have the credentials necessary to secure a federal clerkship and (2) you will have the experience of the District Court, which will be valuable as a Circuit clerk.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:28 am

rico32 wrote: 1. I've heard that there are approximately 12 JD/MBAs per year. Is that because only ~12 qualified candidates apply to each program per year, or are there quite a few more -- and they simply cap it at ~12?
Is this number right? There were at least four in my section as a 1L, and unless they cluster them it seems like 12 is a very low estimate.

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:08 am

0L with a stupid question. The academic calendar has this for October:
October 10, 2016 Columbus Day – Holiday for All Students; University admin offices will be closed.
October 11, 2016 No Classes for All Students
Doesn't this just mean no classes both days? It was weird to me that one day is a 'holiday' but the next day is 'no classes.'

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:43 am

slippin_jimmy wrote:0L with a stupid question. The academic calendar has this for October:
October 10, 2016 Columbus Day – Holiday for All Students; University admin offices will be closed.
Doesn't this just mean no classes both days? It was weird to me that one day is a 'holiday' but the next day is 'no classes.'
Yeah, but it's nice to know when the admin offices will be closed.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:55 am

malleus discentium wrote:
rico32 wrote: 1. I've heard that there are approximately 12 JD/MBAs per year. Is that because only ~12 qualified candidates apply to each program per year, or are there quite a few more -- and they simply cap it at ~12?
Is this number right? There were at least four in my section as a 1L, and unless they cluster them it seems like 12 is a very low estimate.
It's possible that they're clustered. Half of the 2015 JD/MPPs were in my section. (There were only six, and I was one of the three, but still.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:28 am

TripTrip wrote:
slippin_jimmy wrote:0L with a stupid question. The academic calendar has this for October:
Yeah, but it's nice to know when the admin offices will be closed.
For sure. Thanks for the clarification - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reading this all wrong.

Lwalker

New

Post by Lwalker » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Incoming 1L here trying to do a housing search remotely. Assuming a lot of law students live in the building right across from Wasserstein (1600 Mass Ave). Anyone know if living right there is noisy given that it's facing Mass Ave? Is that a noisy road to live next to?

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:19 pm

Lwalker wrote:Incoming 1L here trying to do a housing search remotely. Assuming a lot of law students live in the building right across from Wasserstein (1600 Mass Ave). Anyone know if living right there is noisy given that it's facing Mass Ave? Is that a noisy road to live next to?
Mass Ave can get noisy late at night on the weekends (drunk people tend to sing very loudly as they walk down the street). I didn't mind it, though. I would just go to the window and tell them to shut up. Most of the time they did. If you could get an apartment facing the back, though, that would definitely be much quieter.

Also, I don't know if it was just this year (maybe they got it out of their system), but there was a ton of street work being done on Mass Ave, and they only do work after 10pm. So that noise was typically unbearable and would go until around 4am. There was a solid month-long period of that in the beginning of the school-year, and more than a few follow-ups throughout the year. Like I said, though, facing the back might make a big difference.

Lwalker

New

Post by Lwalker » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:47 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
Lwalker wrote:Incoming 1L here trying to do a housing search remotely. Assuming a lot of law students live in the building right across from Wasserstein (1600 Mass Ave). Anyone know if living right there is noisy given that it's facing Mass Ave? Is that a noisy road to live next to?
Mass Ave can get noisy late at night on the weekends (drunk people tend to sing very loudly as they walk down the street). I didn't mind it, though. I would just go to the window and tell them to shut up. Most of the time they did. If you could get an apartment facing the back, though, that would definitely be much quieter.

Also, I don't know if it was just this year (maybe they got it out of their system), but there was a ton of street work being done on Mass Ave, and they only do work after 10pm. So that noise was typically unbearable and would go until around 4am. There was a solid month-long period of that in the beginning of the school-year, and more than a few follow-ups throughout the year. Like I said, though, facing the back might make a big difference.
Thanks for the info! I was expecting cars/sirens to be the issue. The odd drunk person here and there sounds manageable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”