Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wwwcol

Bronze

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by wwwcol » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:51 pm

politics89 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
politics89 wrote:Sooo are grades coming out on the 20th?
Can't tell if you're kidding, so... no. Probably a day between the 26th and the 29th. I think it's usually Monday or Tuesday of the first week of Spring Term, but it has been as late as Thursday.
I thought it would be then, but the OCS SIP guide seemed to say it would be the 20th.
OCS is clueless. IIRC they were initially wrong in predicting the exact date of last year's grade release, too. The trend is pretty clearly within the last 4-5 days of Jan. and I doubt the registrar deviates from that.

fred013

New

Post by fred013 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:25 pm

that SIP document explicitly says grades will be out by Jan 20... very clearly haha

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:20 pm

Is it ever a problem if you sign up for a firm reception but don't go? I found out that my PSW section has a mandatory session tomorrow evening that interferes with a reception event that I had signed up for and the scheduling webpage won't let me cancel because RSVP deadline was a couple of days ago.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Can someone please report back on the refreshments from tonight's event?

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:31 pm

heythatslife wrote:Is it ever a problem if you sign up for a firm reception but don't go? I found out that my PSW section has a mandatory session tomorrow evening that interferes with a reception event that I had signed up for and the scheduling webpage won't let me cancel because RSVP deadline was a couple of days ago.
Some recruiters have told me that they actively keep track of no-shows (which is easy because they can just look at the leftover name tags). I would shoot an email to the recruiter organizing the event and let them know that you have a scheduling conflict that cannot be moved so you must regretfully cancel your RSVP.

It probably won't be the end of the world if you just miss it, but letting them know in advance shows some professionalism, in my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fred013

New

Post by fred013 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
heythatslife wrote:Is it ever a problem if you sign up for a firm reception but don't go? I found out that my PSW section has a mandatory session tomorrow evening that interferes with a reception event that I had signed up for and the scheduling webpage won't let me cancel because RSVP deadline was a couple of days ago.
Some recruiters have told me that they actively keep track of no-shows (which is easy because they can just look at the leftover name tags). I would shoot an email to the recruiter organizing the event and let them know that you have a scheduling conflict that cannot be moved so you must regretfully cancel your RSVP.

It probably won't be the end of the world if you just miss it, but letting them know in advance shows some professionalism, in my opinion.
there is no way this impacts anything.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:39 pm

fred013 wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:

there is no way this impacts anything.
Feel free to expand on this exceptional conclusion that you have reached. Otherwise, someone may start to think you don't know what you're talking about. Or, worse, that you do.

tls2175

Bronze

Post by tls2175 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Has anyone had Logan Sawyer for a class?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:02 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:31 am

Anyone taken art of social change? Workload? Assume you aren't trying to over achieve or anything.

While I'm at it:

Immigration with Anker
Disability with Stein
Legal history with Coquillette
Evidence with Rubin

Sorry for the dump.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:22 am

wert3813 wrote:Anyone taken art of social change? Workload? Assume you aren't trying to over achieve or anything.
Was considering this course before I got into something else. From looking at the syllabus it looks like a light workload. Sending in questions for speakers (1/2 a page) then 2-3 page responses to the class, no exam. Readings didn't look too lengthy, it seems like it was mainly a discussion focused course with weekly speakers. It honestly seemed like it was more of a piece of the Child Advocacy Program (which you are encouraged to join, but not required - by the syllabus) than an purely independent course.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:40 am

wert3813 wrote:Anyone taken art of social change? Workload? Assume you aren't trying to over achieve or anything.

While I'm at it:

Immigration with Anker
Disability with Stein
Legal history with Coquillette
Evidence with Rubin

Sorry for the dump.
I took Legal History with Coquillette last Spring and it was one of my favorite classes at HLS. He is the nicest person in the world and will go out of his way to treat you well. He'll bring snacks to his classes, invite you over to his house for dinner, and offer to mention your name to judges for clerkships if you're interested. He was also a pretty big deal back in the day: graduated magna from HLS, clerked for Earl Warren, and was Dean at BC Law for some time. Totally down to earth, though.

The class itself is sort of a pushover. You don't need to read a single page. Just show up and voice your opinion on whatever topics are up for discussion (mostly current law school issues, like admissions, faculty hiring, teaching methods, etc.). You write a paper for your grade, and as long as you show genuine in interest in whatever topic you're writing about (and you can write about almost anything), you'll likely get a good grade.
Last edited by Lovely Ludwig Van on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Thoughts on Prof. Vicki Jackson's seminar "Proportionality in U.S. Constitutional Law: History and Comparison?" I doubt I will have an opportunity to change courses, and I am close to sure I would stick with the course in any case. But I would be interested to hear from anyone who has taken similar courses from her before. I have heard she tends to assign a heavier reading load, but that won't bother me much. I'm just curious to hear thoughts on the class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:00 pm

Can't speak to this particular class, but I liked her for Fed Courts. I thought the reading load was heavy but not by any means overwhelming.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:53 am

I'm trying to use the "add period" to sign up for a SIP interview through symplicity. It's for a firm I didn't bid on.

How can I tell if my request went through? The instructions say there should be a dropdown menu of available times, but this page doesn't have that.

When I click submit, the next page says: bidding period is over. You've used 0 of 30 available bids.

Later down it says "bid updated."

On the scheduled interviews tab, there is nothing.

CicerBRo

Bronze

Post by CicerBRo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:24 am

I heard a rumor grades are coming out today. Thoughts?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:28 am

CicerBRo wrote:I heard a rumor grades are coming out today. Thoughts?
lololol

[checks helios]

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:24 pm

Because I'm a nerd about these sorts of things Because I'm a nerd, I wondered a bit about the Registrar's email five days ago (on 1/15/15). It predicted a grade release "on or before Tuesday, January 27."

It turns out that the Registrar sent a similar email last year, dated 1/17/14, predicting a grade release on 1/28/14, and grades were in fact released on 1/28/14. An email confirming that they would be released on 1/28/14 was sent on 1/27/14.

The year before, the Registrar sent an email on 1/3/13 predicting a grade release in "late January." grades were released on 1/28/13 and announced only after the fact (i.e., the Registrar sent an email saying that grades were posted).

The previous year, the Registrar did not send such an email, presumably because HELIOS was brand new and they were still adjusting to its features. Grades were released on 1/26/12 and announced only after the fact.

What this history suggests to me is that fall grades are almost certainly going to come out on 1/27/15, and the Registrar will send an email on 1/26/15 confirming the release date and time. If I remember correctly, the time is always wrong; grades are always out a few hours before the announced time.

(In case anyone's curious, J Term grades came out on 2/18/12, 2/25/13, and 2/19/14.)
Last edited by tomwatts on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:27 pm

tomwatts wrote:Because I'm a nerd about these sorts of things Because I'm a nerd, I wondered a bit about the Registrar's email five days ago (on 1/15/15). It predicted a grade release "on or before Tuesday, January 27."

It turns out that the Registrar sent a similar email last year, dated 1/17/14, predicting a grade release on 1/28/14, and grades were in fact released on 1/28/14. An email announcing confirming that they would be released on 1/28/14 was sent on 1/27/14.

The year before, the Registrar sent an email on 1/3/13 predicting a grade release in "late January." grades were released on 1/28/13 and announced only after the fact (i.e., the Registrar sent an email saying that grades were posted).

The previous year, the Registrar did not send such an email, presumably because HELIOS was brand new and they were still adjusting to its features. Grades were released on 1/26/12 and announced only after the fact.

What this history suggests to me is that fall grades are almost certainly going to come out on 1/27/15, and the Registrar will send an email on 1/26/15 confirming the release date and time. If I remember correctly, the time is always wrong; grades are always out a few hours before the announced time.

(In case anyone's curious, J Term grades came out on 2/18/12, 2/25/13, and 2/19/14.)
Your nerdiness is appreciated. I'm an ignorant 1L but I figured it would be the 27th just from the tone of the message.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
tomwatts wrote:Because I'm a nerd about these sorts of things Because I'm a nerd, I wondered a bit about the Registrar's email five days ago (on 1/15/15). It predicted a grade release "on or before Tuesday, January 27."

It turns out that the Registrar sent a similar email last year, dated 1/17/14, predicting a grade release on 1/28/14, and grades were in fact released on 1/28/14. An email announcing confirming that they would be released on 1/28/14 was sent on 1/27/14.

Your nerdiness is appreciated. I'm an ignorant 1L but I figured it would be the 27th just from the tone of the message.
Yeah agreed. Also if the pattern is to send out an email a day before, then the release is not going to be 1/26 since that would require sending out the email on a Sunday. So we'll probably know by Thursday (if they don't send out an email by then) that grades will be out on 1/27.

But I'm just going to keep pretending like they're never going to be released and I can live in that ignorant, pre-grade world.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Does anyone know if its possible to take two, 2 Credit courses during the 1L Spring semester? You'd be at 18 credit hours, as if you had one 4 credit course, but I have no idea if you could actually do two classes instead of just one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Why in God's name would you want to?

For the record, I'm pretty sure you cannot do that in 1L spring (although I'm absolutely sure you should not want to)

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:08 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Why in God's name would you want to?

For the record, I'm pretty sure you cannot do that in 1L spring (although I'm absolutely sure you should not want to)
I'm currently registered for two courses, in fact I didn't even realize I was in both of them until I got an email today (the other course was a by-application course that I never realized I had actually gotten into). I'm not planning on doing it (In fact I just removed the other class so I wasn't holding up the wait-list), but it seems like it would be a weird way of accumulating more grades than your classmates, which is why I asked if it was even possible.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:

I'm currently registered for two courses, in fact I didn't even realize I was in both of them until I got an email today (the other course was a by-application course that I never realized I had actually gotten into). I'm not planning on doing it (In fact I just removed the other class so I wasn't holding up the wait-list), but it seems like it would be a weird way of accumulating more grades than your classmates, which is why I asked if it was even possible.
No. You can do additional independent writing with permission of someone (like the Registrar or something) but not an additional course.

Edited for clarity: And I don't advise doing so.
Last edited by BlakcMajikc on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:47 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:

"More" isn't helpful unless you were to happen to get Hs in both classes. (Which would be less likely since you'd have a bigger credit load.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”