Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
anon903817

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by anon903817 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Do I need to rank Bankruptcy high in order to get in?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:53 pm

anon903817 wrote:Do I need to rank Bankruptcy high in order to get in?
No.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:13 pm

CicerBRo wrote:Anyone know why we have so much less time tis study for finals 2L than 1L? -_-
Because you're not a 1L anymore and so you probably 1) don't care and/or 2) know better how to study and have been doing it during the semester.

At least, so I would assume. I found it sort of annoying, personally.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:04 pm

CicerBRo wrote:Anyone know why we have so much less time tis study for finals 2L than 1L? -_-
1L teaches you the tools you need so that you can learn any subject in a week.

HTH

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:05 am

-
Last edited by Optimist Prime on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:29 am

TripTrip wrote:
Searchparty wrote:Anyway to find out class capacities before registration period is over? I know going to add/drop will give you the capacity, but before registration period is over there is no add/drop for those classes...
Sadly no. The registrar is super secretive about this kind of thing. If you asked them, my hunch is that their excuse is that they haven't yet determined the capacity. (It can fluctuate depending on which classroom it gets assigned to and how many slots are reserved for transfers, LLMs, and cross-registrants.)

On HLS Dope we tracked last year's capacity listings from the Add/Drop period. You can see them by clicking on any course that has preferencing data on the catalog page. (We only have data on ~20% of course offerings, but it's something.)
If you go to the Course Evaluation Guide on the registrar's website, you can see the number of students that were in previous iterations of classes that have been offered previously. (They list both the number of student surveys returned and the total number of students in the class.)

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:36 am

tomwatts wrote:
Because you're not a 1L anymore and so you probably 1) don't care and/or 2) know better how to study and have been doing it during the semester.
Also because 1Ls have 4 exams, where as 2L/3L you should have one or two, plus maybe a paper.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:00 am

despina wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
Also because 1Ls have 4 exams, where as 2L/3L you should have one or two, plus maybe a paper.
Yeah, I didn't have a single exam this semester, compared to 4 each semester last year. I have no need for the extra time. A 2L might have 4 exams, but at this point I think we all hope you're better at law school than you were as a 1L.

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:59 am

Optimist Prime wrote:Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can comment on any of the following classes, especially if any of them are known for giving more Hs. Feel free to PM. Thanks!

Innovation in Legal Practice w/Westfahl: How big is this class/is it on the curve?
Investment Management w/Norman Champ
Law and Economics Sem w/Kaplow
Corporate and Capital Markets Law and Policy w/Bebchuck
Current Issues in Corporate Governance w/Jessie Fried
L&E seminar I believe was about 20 enrolled students, therefore below the curve requirement. Participation and writing an extended paper gives you an easy H. Presumably you could get an H without the additional work, but I wouldn't know..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:10 am

polareagle wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Searchparty wrote:Anyway to find out class capacities before registration period is over? I know going to add/drop will give you the capacity, but before registration period is over there is no add/drop for those classes...
Sadly no. The registrar is super secretive about this kind of thing. If you asked them, my hunch is that their excuse is that they haven't yet determined the capacity. (It can fluctuate depending on which classroom it gets assigned to and how many slots are reserved for transfers, LLMs, and cross-registrants.)

On HLS Dope we tracked last year's capacity listings from the Add/Drop period. You can see them by clicking on any course that has preferencing data on the catalog page. (We only have data on ~20% of course offerings, but it's something.)
If you go to the Course Evaluation Guide on the registrar's website, you can see the number of students that were in previous iterations of classes that have been offered previously. (They list both the number of student surveys returned and the total number of students in the class.)
...I have no idea why I never put two and two together. Added.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:36 am

TripTrip wrote:
polareagle wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

...I have no idea why I never put two and two together. Added.
Nice work. Very helpful stuff.

Out of curiosity, is there a meaningful difference between courses that are tagged with "estimated course capacity" and those that use "past course enrollment" or is that just semantics? It looks like both are just drawing on historical capacity data.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:11 am

Optimist Prime wrote:Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can comment on any of the following classes, especially if any of them are known for giving more Hs. Feel free to PM. Thanks!

Innovation in Legal Practice w/Westfahl: How big is this class/is it on the curve?
Investment Management w/Norman Champ
Law and Economics Sem w/Kaplow
Corporate and Capital Markets Law and Policy w/Bebchuck
Current Issues in Corporate Governance w/Jessie Fried
Bebchuck's class was great. You write very short response papers for each class and there's no final. Class is heavy on the policy and light on the law. He also brings 6-8 guest speakers to talk during the semester.

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:49 am

-
Last edited by Optimist Prime on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:05 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Nice work. Very helpful stuff.

Out of curiosity, is there a meaningful difference between courses that are tagged with "estimated course capacity" and those that use "past course enrollment" or is that just semantics? It looks like both are just drawing on historical capacity data.
"Estimated course capacity" is the listed total capacity for 2Ls and 3Ls via HELIOS last year. "Past course enrollment" is how many students (including JDs, LLMs, and cross-registrants) were enrolled in the course per the course evaluations. Past course enrollment will be less than capacity if there were open seats or greater than capacity if the class was full of non JDUPPER students.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Will OCS or OPIA work with us at all as 0Ls? I'm thinking of quitting my shitty non-law related job early and trying to do some sort of internship to spiff up my pre-LS résumé during 0L summer, and I want someone to ask about whether or not that will actually help at all.

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:03 pm

leslieknope wrote:Will OCS or OPIA work with us at all as 0Ls? I'm thinking of quitting my shitty non-law related job early and trying to do some sort of internship to spiff up my pre-LS résumé during 0L summer, and I want someone to ask about whether or not that will actually help at all.
It can help and I know that at least OPIA will talk with you about it and recommend places to intern. But time is probably running out on finding that internship.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:11 pm

codyoneill wrote:
leslieknope wrote:Will OCS or OPIA work with us at all as 0Ls? I'm thinking of quitting my shitty non-law related job early and trying to do some sort of internship to spiff up my pre-LS résumé during 0L summer, and I want someone to ask about whether or not that will actually help at all.
It can help and I know that at least OPIA will talk with you about it and recommend places to intern. But time is probably running out on finding that internship.
Yeah, I've started applying places already. But it's good to know OPIA will be receptive/that this isn't a totally hopeless plan! I'll shoot them an email.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

o0o0o0o

New

Post by o0o0o0o » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 pm

Does anyone know how many people apply for and are offered PSVF each year? (We know who accepted it each year, since that's public, but OPIA is cagey about the other data points).

Thanks.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:42 am

o0o0o0o wrote:Does anyone know how many people apply for and are offered PSVF each year? (We know who accepted it each year, since that's public, but OPIA is cagey about the other data points).

Thanks.
I'm told — third-hand — that it has changed over time. In prior years, everyone who applied and stayed through the whole process got it. This may not continue to be true this year, because apparently there are more applicants.

I defer to anyone who has more reliable information, though.

limabean15

New

Post by limabean15 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:59 pm

This thread is so helpful! Thanks everyone!

I wondering if anyone has had experience or knows someone who did the 3L exchange with Cambridge? It sounds like an amazing experience. Is it competitive to get into the program? Does it offer any concrete benefits in terms of career? I'm guessing the job application process might also shift for people in this program?

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:13 am

tomwatts wrote:
o0o0o0o wrote:Does anyone know how many people apply for and are offered PSVF each year? (We know who accepted it each year, since that's public, but OPIA is cagey about the other data points).

Thanks.
I'm told — third-hand — that it has changed over time. In prior years, everyone who applied and stayed through the whole process got it. This may not continue to be true this year, because apparently there are more applicants.

I'm told not everyone got it last year either, but that those who didn't receive it were not constantly in touch with OPIA, didn't have conversations with Judy to make sure they were applying for other fellowships they were eligible for, etc. My understanding is that if you are in regular touch with OPIA, show a good faith effort to find other fellowships and other work, and submit a legit application, then you're pretty much set. OPIA and HLS don't want it to be perceived as a "full employment" program, though.

Another thing that makes the stats challenging is that folks drop out throughout the process as they are accepted for other fellowships or get other jobs. So there may be say 60 people who apply in March, but only 30 applicants left in May.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more applicants this year than last year, but I'm guessing that will be balanced by other things such as the increase in numbers of Ford fellowships.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

o0o0o0o

New

Post by o0o0o0o » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:45 am

despina wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

Thanks.

I'm told not everyone got it last year either, but that those who didn't receive it were not constantly in touch with OPIA, didn't have conversations with Judy to make sure they were applying for other fellowships they were eligible for, etc. My understanding is that if you are in regular touch with OPIA, show a good faith effort to find other fellowships and other work, and submit a legit application, then you're pretty much set. OPIA and HLS don't want it to be perceived as a "full employment" program, though.

Another thing that makes the stats challenging is that folks drop out throughout the process as they are accepted for other fellowships or get other jobs. So there may be say 60 people who apply in March, but only 30 applicants left in May.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more applicants this year than last year, but I'm guessing that will be balanced by other things such as the increase in numbers of Ford fellowships.
All very helpful. Thanks.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:59 am

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:20 pm

acrossthelake wrote:If you wish to pursue public interest, this is a good time to establish genuine interest in the cause you care about.
If you wish to do criminal defense, this is a good time to not go to a prosecutor's office. The "variety of experience" line works well for prosecutors, not so consistently well for PDs.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:58 pm

acrossthelake wrote:If you wish to pursue public interest, this is a good time to establish genuine interest in the cause you care about.
Big second to this.
TripTrip wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:If you wish to do criminal defense, this is a good time to not go to a prosecutor's office. The "variety of experience" line works well for prosecutors, not so consistently well for PDs.
And this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”