Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rathgra

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by rathgra » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:55 pm

Searchparty wrote:
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:I think you can return a book to the COOP for a full refund within 24 hours. Not the classiest of options but desperate times...
Is it 24 hours now? Last semester it was at the end of add/drop, which I think is something like the Wednesday after classes begin.

Last semester I bought a book that was taking too long to arrive and used it for the first day of class then returned it.
Another option if you want to highlight/write in the book is to borrow a friend's copy and scan the pages you need. The lab in the basement of the WCC has scanners (and I'm sure there are some in the library too)

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:41 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Whatever you do, don't stress. Even if you end up not being able to do the readings before class, your odds of getting a good grade at the end of the semester are still the same.
But run the risk of looking like a fool for my very first class? No thank you ma'am.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:52 pm

HorseThief wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Whatever you do, don't stress. Even if you end up not being able to do the readings before class, your odds of getting a good grade at the end of the semester are still the same.
But run the risk of looking like a fool for my very first class? No thank you ma'am.
It's gonna happen eventually.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:45 pm

HorseThief wrote:
You'll enjoy law school a lot more when you realize that shame is a dead weight holding you back. Most people will be embarrassed in class at some point and they still manage to have friends and good reputations. Trust me, you can make an ass of yourself in class and still retain your dignity. Also, if your grades are awesome, nobody can really say anything about your performance in class. Don't forget, it's all about the exams. Class is a formality.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:22 pm

HorseThief wrote:
In a month half the class will be exclusively on gchat, FB chat, buzzfeed, etc. and will have no idea what is going on that day, much less remember what someone said the first couple days

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
You'll enjoy law school a lot more when you realize that shame is a dead weight holding you back. Most people will be embarrassed in class at some point and they still manage to have friends and good reputations. Trust me, you can make an ass of yourself in class and still retain your dignity. Also, if your grades are awesome, nobody can really say anything about your performance in class. Don't forget, it's all about the exams. Class is a formality.
There is exactly one time last year a classmate said something that was so hilariously dumb that I still remember it. And they volunteered to talk.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:11 pm

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:06 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
wert3813 wrote: There is exactly one time last year a classmate said something that was so hilariously dumb that I still remember it. And they volunteered to talk.
Pretty sure nobody ever cares about people who bomb cold-calls and only about people who volunteer irrelevant answers. I also don't remember anybody ever giving good answers or bad answers in terms of quality, just people giving irrelevant ones because of self-aggrandizement. Avoid "WELL because I took a class in law in undergrad/interned at wherever/have a parent in law/life story/breathe, I am an expert on this" statements and you're good to go for avoiding appearing like a fool.
Generally true, though there was one person in my class that gave such a bad answer once, I remember it to this day. It wasn't a bad case answer or even anything related to law; it was a "wow they did not understand the meaning of that common word" answer that, given the context, was quite hilarious. I mean, I feel bad for that person, but I do still remember that moment to this day...which may speak more about me than that person :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Opinion on Coates v Ramseyer for corps?

lawbeahs

New

Post by lawbeahs » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi guys, I'm interested in doing a journal and SPO 1l year and have two questions:
1. Would it be stupid to do a journal, spo, and reading group all in the first semester of law school? Will I be super overwhelmed?
2. Any opinions about the Harvard Defenders or the HLPR journal?

Thanks for the insight!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:13 pm

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:16 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
lawbeahs wrote:Hi guys, I'm interested in doing a journal and SPO 1l year and have two questions:
1. Would it be stupid to do a journal, spo, and reading group all in the first semester of law school? Will I be super overwhelmed?

Thanks for the insight!
Re: 1. No, I did this and it was no biggie. Although I actually didn't find my reading group to be worthwhile and wish I hadn't.
Do you think this was specific to your reading group? Or do you think you would have found most any of them to be a waste of time?

I haven't really seen one that seems extremely exciting, and was wavering on whether to do it or not.

Separate, but related, question: Are reading groups available 2nd semester?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:30 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
lawbeahs wrote:Hi guys, I'm interested in doing a journal and SPO 1l year and have two questions:

Thanks for the insight!
Re: 1. No, I did this and it was no biggie. Although I actually didn't find my reading group to be worthwhile and wish I hadn't.
Do you think this was specific to your reading group? Or do you think you would have found most any of them to be a waste of time?

I haven't really seen one that seems extremely exciting, and was wavering on whether to do it or not.

I really really enjoyed my reading group and I'm so glad I did it. I liked the people, although didn't stay in contact with them. It's a small setting to be in contact with a professor and build a relationship. The RG I got happened to be with a professor in a field I'm interested in and he knows me and I ended up RAing for him over the summer on a really interesting topic and I also intend to ask him to supervise some written work. It's about the only opportunity I got to interact in a close setting without having to go to office hours (which I find awkward).

Also, it's only 8 hours with really no work because there's no grade, but depends on the setting the professor sets up for how much you should read. You also should get dinner/food with every meeting which is pretty cool.

No RG second semester, but you can do RG for a grade your second year.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Searchparty wrote:
sjgonzalez3 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

Thanks for the insight!

I really really enjoyed my reading group and I'm so glad I did it. I liked the people, although didn't stay in contact with them. It's a small setting to be in contact with a professor and build a relationship. The RG I got happened to be with a professor in a field I'm interested in and he knows me and I ended up RAing for him over the summer on a really interesting topic and I also intend to ask him to supervise some written work. It's about the only opportunity I got to interact in a close setting without having to go to office hours (which I find awkward).

Also, it's only 8 hours with really no work because there's no grade, but depends on the setting the professor sets up for how much you should read. You also should get dinner/food with every meeting which is pretty cool.

No RG second semester, but you can do RG for a grade your second year.

I chose my reading group solely based on the fact that the professor advertised wine and snacks at each meeting. He brought tons of wine and we spoke about topics other than the intellectual drudgery of law school. I thought that was a great combination and I would do it again. If you want more details about the one I did, feel free to PM.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Thanks for the insight!
1. Probably fine. My reading group was fun for me, but I'm pretty sure few others would've been terribly into the topic. It also had a lot of reading, because we were reading two (full) law review articles for each session, which is about 80-120 pages typically. But it was every couple of weeks, so it wasn't bad, and we got nice breakfasts.

2. I'm on the leadership team for HLPR. I like the process (you actually interact with the substance of the articles as a 1L, which a lot of other journals don't let you do) and I like the people (progressives who care about law and policy), so that's why I stayed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Has anybody taken Counseling and Legal Strategy in the Digital Age? What is the class actually like? From the course description I cannot tell whether it is more like PSW, or more like a seminar.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:03 pm

Anyone else been unable to access the add/drop page on Helios? ("server error, please contact help desk"). I have a waitlist offer that I want but I'm unable to claim it, and help desk is of course closed til Tuesday - guess I'll just email registrar to say I still want dibs

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Anyone else been unable to access the add/drop page on Helios? ("server error, please contact help desk"). I have a waitlist offer that I want but I'm unable to claim it, and help desk is of course closed til Tuesday - guess I'll just email registrar to say I still want dibs
Same error. You should be able to claim from the waitlist page though, which is working for me.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:23 pm

Waitlist page itself works, but when I press the "claim" button from it, it goes to same error message. I'll just let the reg know

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:48 pm

so reading groups as an activity (not for a grade) are limited to only fall semester 1L year?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:50 pm

az21833 wrote:so reading groups as an activity (not for a grade) are limited to only fall semester 1L year?
Reading groups during 2L and 3L are credit/no credit.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:17 pm

ph14 wrote:
az21833 wrote:so reading groups as an activity (not for a grade) are limited to only fall semester 1L year?
Do they choose from the same groups that are offered to 1Ls?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:24 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Do they choose from the same groups that are offered to 1Ls?
I don't think so.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”