Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:30 pm

acrossthelake wrote:There's a lot about this many pages back in late Dec.ish that we 1Ls asked. But in a brief summary, 1L you take problem-solving workshop, which is 3-weeks where they have profs (who generally have experience working in the real world, rather than in just academia, and sometimes they bring in ppl who only work in the real world outside of the workshop) bringing you through these different projects that you work on with an assigned group of 5. Typically class is from 9-12, then the group works till it's done, sometimes due at 5pm (sometimes earlier, sometimes later). The projects are supposed to give you a taste of like, interpreting a contract, or how to practically solve some problems outside of just the legal aspect. Usually they bring in people from outside relevant to the project to evaluate the group's work and give you feedback (so I got to do some oral argument in front of a judge, for instance). For the very last project they send you out into law firms around Boston to give a presentation to either some associates or an associate and a partner (depending on the firm). People's opinons of it really vary and I think the value you get out of it really depends on which prof you had, which teammates you had, and your attitude. I actually was fairly pessemistic going in, but while I did feel some of it could've been tightened up, I liked it a lot and thought it was a good experience. I lucked into a really great group though. It's pass/fail, too, so no pressure.
Can you not take a normal class in the winter 1L term? Do you have to do the above?

Although it being pass/fail makes me worry a lot less. That's nice.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:There's a lot about this many pages back in late Dec.ish that we 1Ls asked. But in a brief summary, 1L you take problem-solving workshop, which is 3-weeks where they have profs (who generally have experience working in the real world, rather than in just academia, and sometimes they bring in ppl who only work in the real world outside of the workshop) bringing you through these different projects that you work on with an assigned group of 5. Typically class is from 9-12, then the group works till it's done, sometimes due at 5pm (sometimes earlier, sometimes later). The projects are supposed to give you a taste of like, interpreting a contract, or how to practically solve some problems outside of just the legal aspect. Usually they bring in people from outside relevant to the project to evaluate the group's work and give you feedback (so I got to do some oral argument in front of a judge, for instance). For the very last project they send you out into law firms around Boston to give a presentation to either some associates or an associate and a partner (depending on the firm). People's opinons of it really vary and I think the value you get out of it really depends on which prof you had, which teammates you had, and your attitude. I actually was fairly pessemistic going in, but while I did feel some of it could've been tightened up, I liked it a lot and thought it was a good experience. I lucked into a really great group though. It's pass/fail, too, so no pressure.
Can you not take a normal class in the winter 1L term? Do you have to do the above?

During winter term 1L year you are required to take the problem solving workshop. You can take a normal class or other options for 2L/3L years.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:10 pm

ph14 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Can you not take a normal class in the winter 1L term? Do you have to do the above?

During winter term 1L year you are required to take the problem solving workshop. You can take a normal class or other options for 2L/3L years.
Makes sense. Thanks. Do you get assigned a section of Problem Solving based upon your 1L section? I noticed a mix of HLS professors, HLS clinical professors, and lawyers teaching the different sections.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Question about 1L summer, I currently have a canadian work permit, if I decided to go back to toronto for 1L summer and do some firm work there, would that be frowned upon by firms in 2L summer hiring regarding ties and all that? Background being that this is my first time living in the states and have no ties there apart from an aunt and uncle in boston?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:28 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Question about 1L summer, I currently have a canadian work permit, if I decided to go back to toronto for 1L summer and do some firm work there, would that be frowned upon by firms in 2L summer hiring regarding ties and all that? Background being that this is my first time living in the states and have no ties there apart from an aunt and uncle in boston?
I don't know that students are as well equipped to handle that question as employers, but I do know that a number of people went to firms and other jobs outside the US. If it's a "real" firm job, I can't imagine it's a terrible thing, but if you're going to a small town firm that closes on people's houses all day, that might be frowned upon in the US or somewhere else. (Or not, but so I've heard.)

JDflowergirl

Bronze

Post by JDflowergirl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:30 am

Hi

Does anyone have an estimate of what counts as top 10%, 33% and 50% at Harvard?

Also i'm guessing we dont get grades for the winter term classes, right? Because that will be 11 1L grades not 10 as mentioned earlier in the thread.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:05 am

JDflowergirl wrote:Hi

Does anyone have an estimate of what counts as top 10%, 33% and 50% at Harvard?

Also i'm guessing we dont get grades for the winter term classes, right? Because that will be 11 1L grades not 10 as mentioned earlier in the thread.
There are other detailed discussions on TLS about it, and the short answer is that no one knows for sure, but conventional wisdom says that 3 H is median and (I think) that 8ish must be top ten percent.
Yes, winter term is Cr/F. Or, more accurately, Cr.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:29 am

delusional wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:Question about 1L summer, I currently have a canadian work permit, if I decided to go back to toronto for 1L summer and do some firm work there, would that be frowned upon by firms in 2L summer hiring regarding ties and all that? Background being that this is my first time living in the states and have no ties there apart from an aunt and uncle in boston?
I don't know that students are as well equipped to handle that question as employers, but I do know that a number of people went to firms and other jobs outside the US. If it's a "real" firm job, I can't imagine it's a terrible thing, but if you're going to a small town firm that closes on people's houses all day, that might be frowned upon in the US or somewhere else. (Or not, but so I've heard.)
Ah thanks. I was more worried about the ties thing that the work experience thing as I have some contacts in Toronto and should be able to obtain a "real"firm job haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crystalized

New

Post by crystalized » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:58 am

1. Are laptops allowed in all classes?

2. When are book lists posted and where is the best place to buy books? Is buying second-hand generally ok?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:09 pm

crystalized wrote:1. Are laptops allowed in all classes?

2. When are book lists posted and where is the best place to buy books? Is buying second-hand generally ok?
1. No, the professor decides. Some of mine banned laptops.

2. Buying second-hand is okay. Renting from the Coop is another good option. Buying from Amazon is another good way, especially if you have Amazon Prime.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Hey guys/gals, incoming transfer here. Sorry if this has been asked before here (I searched and found nothing): How does one get at Quinn Emmanuel from Harvard? Do they not do EIP (they aren't on this year's or last year's list)? Do they use another process?

Thanks!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:12 pm

PinkCow wrote:Hey guys/gals, incoming transfer here. Sorry if this has been asked before here (I searched and found nothing): How does one get at Quinn Emmanuel from Harvard? Do they not do EIP (they aren't on this year's or last year's list)? Do they use another process?

Thanks!
They're doing their new recruiting process, which involves throwing a party during the year and not coming to OCI/EIP at certain schools. Just send them your resume, transcript, and cover letter (it's not a big deal if you didn't attend the party).

crystalized

New

Post by crystalized » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:21 pm

ph14 wrote:

2. Buying second-hand is okay. Renting from the Coop is another good option. Buying from Amazon is another good way, especially if you have Amazon Prime.

1. Approximately, how common is it for a prof to allow laptops in class? I.e. 50% of classes will not allow laptops?

2. "Renting from the Coop" - how does that work?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:33 pm

crystalized wrote:
ph14 wrote:

1. Approximately, how common is it for a prof to allow laptops in class? I.e. 50% of classes will not allow laptops?

2. "Renting from the Coop" - how does that work?
1. Depends a lot on your section, and what profs you get. For me at least, the majority of my professors allowed laptops (> 75%).
2. You just go into the Coop (the bookstore) and ask if you can rent the textbok (or there might be a sticker on the book or a sign saying you can rent it). You can highlight and write in it, as long as you don't go nuts, and then you have to return it within a few days after finals. I think it costs about half as much as buying a casebook, with the added bonus of not having to worry about selling it. More information: http://harvard-lawcoopbooks.bncollege.c ... krNew.html.

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:51 am

Thank you all for taking questions!

about 1L exams: Do you have enough time in the 8-hour exam? In your section, how many of the 7 courses (not including LRW and elective) are 8-hour and how many are 3-hour? Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:46 am

mjitbswyd wrote:Thank you all for taking questions!

about 1L exams: Do you have enough time in the 8-hour exam? In your section, how many of the 7 courses (not including LRW and elective) are 8-hour and how many are 3-hour? Thanks!
Totally depends on the test and the prof. I had one prof who said multiple times that he would give an eight hour exam because he wanted us to have time to consider and work through the answers, and that the eight hours would be more than enough time to proofread and fine tune the answers. It was totally not true - the exam was eight hours of solid work.
The type of test also depends on the professor. There may be subjects that lend themselves to shorter tests, and others that work better for long tests, but I don't think it's necessarily so. Of my seven exams, four were three hour in class exams, and three eight hour take home. Others reported different distributions, and included multiple choice, and even part multiple choice, some "any day" take home, where you choose when to take it during exam week, and even one four day take home.
Protip (or at least 2L tip): Prep for the different kinds of tests is in fact as different as it seems it should be. On three hour exams, typing speed is key, and easy access to information is key. Other people say that as long as your typing speed is reasonable, you're fine, I say every extra boost can pay off in the long run. Mere minutes can make a difference. Furthermore, the more cohesive the information is going in, the easier it is to structure the answer quickly. On eight hour exams, you have more time to tailor the structure to the particular answer and to locate information that you don't have immediately. On some eight hour exams, I had time to go back and read statutes, and even look at one professor's posted model answer from a previous year.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:59 am

on a related note, how important is spelling and grammar on these tests? I dont type with all 10 but I type decently fast, just not as accurately (also cuz i dont know how to spell basic words)..so how does grammar and spelling factor into grading of a test?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:31 am

thederangedwang wrote:on a related note, how important is spelling and grammar on these tests? I dont type with all 10 but I type decently fast, just not as accurately (also cuz i dont know how to spell basic words)..so how does grammar and spelling factor into grading of a test?
Doesn't matter for in class exams, does matter for take homes. It falls into headings, etc. as things that make it easier on the professor, so perhaps they look on your exam favorably.

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:01 pm

delusional wrote:

Totally depends on the test and the prof. I had one prof who said multiple times that he would give an eight hour exam because he wanted us to have time to consider and work through the answers, and that the eight hours would be more than enough time to proofread and fine tune the answers. It was totally not true - the exam was eight hours of solid work.
The type of test also depends on the professor. There may be subjects that lend themselves to shorter tests, and others that work better for long tests, but I don't think it's necessarily so. Of my seven exams, four were three hour in class exams, and three eight hour take home. Others reported different distributions, and included multiple choice, and even part multiple choice, some "any day" take home, where you choose when to take it during exam week, and even one four day take home.
Protip (or at least 2L tip): Prep for the different kinds of tests is in fact as different as it seems it should be. On three hour exams, typing speed is key, and easy access to information is key. Other people say that as long as your typing speed is reasonable, you're fine, I say every extra boost can pay off in the long run. Mere minutes can make a difference. Furthermore, the more cohesive the information is going in, the easier it is to structure the answer quickly. On eight hour exams, you have more time to tailor the structure to the particular answer and to locate information that you don't have immediately. On some eight hour exams, I had time to go back and read statutes, and even look at one professor's posted model answer from a previous year.
Thank you for the detailed answer. I'm international and did not even go to college in english-speaking country so quite worried about the exam issue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:01 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:
delusional wrote:

Thank you for the detailed answer. I'm international and did not even go to college in english-speaking country so quite worried about the exam issue.

I'd make sure to practice or do whatever you need to. A law school exam is not the time to have to think about how to say a certain word or phrase.

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:21 pm

ph14 wrote:I'd make sure to practice or do whatever you need to. A law school exam is not the time to have to think about how to say a certain word or phrase.
I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:27 pm

ph14 wrote:I'd make sure to practice or do whatever you need to. A law school exam is not the time to have to think about how to say a certain word or phrase.
So basically use past exams to guesstimate what questions the professor will be asking, then model your answers ahead of time and use the time allotted to just physically type your answers? Is this kinda what you're getting at?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
So basically use past exams to guesstimate what questions the professor will be asking, then model your answers ahead of time and use the time allotted to just physically type your answers? Is this kinda what you're getting at?
No, that's not what I was getting at. Just commenting that if English is not your first language, you don't want to be sitting there trying to figure out how to phrase something. But yes, it's a very good idea to take practice exams, and something I would definitely recommend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”