Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by malleus discentium » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:38 pm

What's Nesson's Jury X class like over J Term? It has 115 seats so I assume it's curved. What kinds of things get people Hs in that class?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:35 pm

malleus discentium wrote:What's Nesson's Jury X class like over J Term? It has 115 seats so I assume it's curved. What kinds of things get people Hs in that class?
It's quite a bit different than most other courses you'll take. Nesson has a unique approach. On the upside, you'll have almost no homework (unless he finds a good Netflix series related to the topic at hand) and it's the easiest exam you can get in J-term. On the downside, there's no syllabus and no structure to the class.

There will not be 115 students in the class and he won't award any LPs, so you don't have to worry about that. He either listed it as 115 so that the registration system wouldn't waitlist anyone or so that it would force the Registrar to assign him the big room in Austin North. The exam is usually a one sentence prompt, and you get an H by having insightful things to say in class and on your paper/exam.

All of his classes follow a similar structure and theme, and you can retake them because he changes the words after "JuryX: " each term so that students can take his class two or three times to help facilitate the discussions.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:24 pm

TripTrip wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:What's Nesson's Jury X class like over J Term? It has 115 seats so I assume it's curved. What kinds of things get people Hs in that class?
It's quite a bit different than most other courses you'll take. Nesson has a unique approach. On the upside, you'll have almost no homework (unless he finds a good Netflix series related to the topic at hand) and it's the easiest exam you can get in J-term. On the downside, there's no syllabus and no structure to the class.

There will not be 115 students in the class and he won't award any LPs, so you don't have to worry about that. He either listed it as 115 so that the registration system wouldn't waitlist anyone or so that it would force the Registrar to assign him the big room in Austin North. The exam is usually a one sentence prompt, and you get an H by having insightful things to say in class and on your paper/exam.

All of his classes follow a similar structure and theme, and you can retake them because he changes the words after "JuryX: " each term so that students can take his class two or three times to help facilitate the discussions.
Alternatively, I found the class to be a waste of time and tuition dollars, and my impression from talking to classmates is that Hs are distributed entirely randomly and do not correlate with level of effort at all (and I say that as someone who got lucky). He's brilliant, but having him as a professor is incredibly frustrating. I'd rather a BLL any day.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:42 am

leslieknope wrote:Alternatively, I found the class to be a waste of time and tuition dollars, and my impression from talking to classmates is that Hs are distributed entirely randomly and do not correlate with level of effort at all (and I say that as someone who got lucky). He's brilliant, but having him as a professor is incredibly frustrating. I'd rather a BLL any day.
Yeah, I won't pretend like it's for everyone. I know it's not.

And I also don't understand his grade distribution. I'm not sure he does either.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:42 pm

What is campus like today? Are people in class?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Pneumonia wrote:What is campus like today? Are people in class?
mostly, yes. class goes on.

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:36 pm

I have seen a lot of people crying, some have asked for class to be cancelled, some have skipped, but many are in class.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Post by theconsigliere » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:30 pm

10ish people crying in my class of 80

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:53 am

my crim prof let us pass cold calls yesterday. and every prof has at least taken a minute or two to address it at the beginning of class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Learned Paw

New

Post by Learned Paw » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Anybody have experience with the consumer protection and predatory lending clinic? I have a waitlist offer open and I'm wondering if it's worth blowing up my schedule for. Interested in lit, not all that crazy about consumer practice in general, fwiw.

thegoat2019

New

Post by thegoat2019 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 pm

Any tips/advice for a 1L who feels a little behind on studying for finals??

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:57 pm

thegoat2019 wrote:Any tips/advice for a 1L who feels a little behind on studying for finals??
I started heavy studying around this time last year and it all turned out fine. Everyone is in the same boat- I don't think anyone in my section started serious studying until after Thanksgiving. Try to stay in your lane and avoid the crazy stressed out people, and focus on using your time efficiently/not doing things just for the sake of doing them. As a rule of decision, if you have to choose between making an outline and using an old outline but doing practice tests, the old exams will almost certainly be a better use of your time. But that said, you know what works for you and what got you here. Focus on that, and everything will be okay.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:57 am

thegoat2019 wrote:Any tips/advice for a 1L who feels a little behind on studying for finals??
Know you aren't alone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:24 pm

Does anyone have any opinion on Mediation with Hoffman? This is just the course, not the clinic.

Reviews on Dope are solid, and I'm interested in developing some mediation skillz, but I'm also very interested in doing as little as possible my final semester, so I'm not super interested if it is going to be one of those classes that requires a huge amount of prep time for the activities.

smieclux

New

Post by smieclux » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 pm

deleted.
Last edited by smieclux on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValeVale

New

Post by ValeVale » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:18 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone have any opinion on Mediation with Hoffman? This is just the course, not the clinic.

Reviews on Dope are solid, and I'm interested in developing some mediation skillz, but I'm also very interested in doing as little as possible my final semester, so I'm not super interested if it is going to be one of those classes that requires a huge amount of prep time for the activities.
Pretty solid class, but definitely a good amount of prep work involved to get anything out of the class.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:44 pm

ValeVale wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone have any opinion on Mediation with Hoffman? This is just the course, not the clinic.

Pretty solid class, but definitely a good amount of prep work involved to get anything out of the class.
Thanks! That's kind of what I figured. Time to balance laziness versus learning I suppose.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hp02138

New

Post by hp02138 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:52 pm

If you accept a term-time job (researching, TA-ing, etc.), will your financial aid/loan package be affected?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:13 pm

hp02138 wrote:If you accept a term-time job (researching, TA-ing, etc.), will your financial aid/loan package be affected?
Interestingly, generally no.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:37 pm

Last edited by appind on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:38 pm

Above poster: I feel like the responses to your post would necessarily have to be detailed enough that — even without quoting your post — they would contain most of the identifying information you don't want to be quoted.

I'm PMing you instead, but let me note here that this isn't really the place to get detailed admissions advice, especially since you're also asking about non-H schools. I would try the Law School Admissions Forum: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:47 pm

Has anyone else been having trouble signing into Dope lately? Every time I go to the Google sign in page I get a blank screen.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:47 am

leslieknope wrote:Has anyone else been having trouble signing into Dope lately? Every time I go to the Google sign in page I get a blank screen.
I've noticed some slowness with Dope lately, but I haven't had any sign-in issues (aside from it being slow).

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:27 pm

leslieknope wrote:Has anyone else been having trouble signing into Dope lately? Every time I go to the Google sign in page I get a blank screen.
Tyler sent an HLS Dope-wide email today that mentioned this:
Last spring I graduated and went to work for BCG as a Management Consultant. It's great and I love it, but obviously my free-project-time is significantly reduced now. This is why I can't fix things like the Google Sign-in error (if you're getting the blank page, reset your password and use the non-Google login form).

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:51 am

who is gonna start up hls dope again?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”