Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wwwcol

Bronze

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by wwwcol » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:58 am

Cheapest liquor store within a 10-15 minute walk from campus?

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:54 am

Hey everyone, I've worked out at Hemenway a few times and obviously it's been pretty empty thus far. I noticed on the site that they say we should be reserving machines for 30 minute time slots. Does it really get so busy that we'll have to do this? Is it bad form not to do so? :?

justinp

Bronze

Post by justinp » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:55 am

wwwcol wrote:Cheapest liquor store within a 10-15 minute walk from campus?
Probably University Wine Shop up towards Porter on mass ave, but other folks might have better options.

It's still ludicrously expensive because Massachusetts.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:03 am

Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone, I've worked out at Hemenway a few times and obviously it's been pretty empty thus far. I noticed on the site that they say we should be reserving machines for 30 minute time slots. Does it really get so busy that we'll have to do this? Is it bad form not to do so? :?

If you go any time between like 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm during the school year, then you probably should. Otherwise it's probably no big deal. Not very many people do anyway.

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:48 am

Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone, I've worked out at Hemenway a few times and obviously it's been pretty empty thus far. I noticed on the site that they say we should be reserving machines for 30 minute time slots. Does it really get so busy that we'll have to do this? Is it bad form not to do so? :?
Do you have your ID? How do you get in without?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Searchparty

Bronze

Post by Searchparty » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:51 am

justinp wrote:
wwwcol wrote:Cheapest liquor store within a 10-15 minute walk from campus?
Probably University Wine Shop up towards Porter on mass ave, but other folks might have better options.

It's still ludicrously expensive because Massachusetts.
Totally went to the Harvard wine shop. Of course the more generic store, 'University,' would have been a better option....

Not to mention their Sierra Nevada tasted like it had been there for way longer than it should have :(

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:08 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
roranoa wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
roranoa wrote:Do you know ppl who weren't able to get a decent job even with a degree from HLS?
What do they do?
Depends very much on how you define "decent". The answer is they eventually settle for something else. Sometimes it turns out they genuinely really liked the other thing, and sometimes it's because you have to convince yourself of that to be happy.
Decent job, as in a job conferring the prestige that a HLS degree supposedly warrants.
(Ex. Biglaw, federal clerkships, Big corporate job, IB, consulting, professorship etc)
Oh, then yes, absolutely. They settle for a job that isn't decent by your definition and claim they wanted it all along. Which makes it difficult to count how many of them there are, since some people actually do also want those jobs all along, so you have to be close enough to them to know they're lying when they say that was their desired goal. Because they will lie to most people about that.
So what kind of jobs do they settle for? What would be some examples?

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 pm

roranoa wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
roranoa wrote: Decent job, as in a job conferring the prestige that a HLS degree supposedly warrants.
(Ex. Biglaw, federal clerkships, Big corporate job, IB, consulting, professorship etc)
Oh, then yes, absolutely. They settle for a job that isn't decent by your definition and claim they wanted it all along. Which makes it difficult to count how many of them there are, since some people actually do also want those jobs all along, so you have to be close enough to them to know they're lying when they say that was their desired goal. Because they will lie to most people about that.
So what kind of jobs do they settle for? What would be some examples?
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for here.. they settle for things not on your list of desirable things. Firms in non-target locales, below-market paying fringe biglaw firms, DA/PD positions in non-target locales.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:29 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
roranoa wrote: Decent job, as in a job conferring the prestige that a HLS degree supposedly warrants.
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for here.. they settle for things not on your list of desirable things. Firms in non-target locales, below-market paying fringe biglaw firms, DA/PD positions in non-target locales.
Also keep in mind that you didn't including any PI jobs in your desirable category. Something like a 100 students skip EIP so it's tough to believe those jobs aren't desirable to a large portion of the market. At the very least you should consider BigFed jobs to be "prestigious".

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:50 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Searchparty wrote:
Just go in and give them your HUID, they'll give you a temporary card.
I don't know if they changed things, but each time I've gone, I give them my HUID and they check me in. No card, but you'll get an email that your number was used to check in, and that's it!

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:57 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
Searchparty wrote:
Just go in and give them your HUID, they'll give you a temporary card.
I don't know if they changed things, but each time I've gone, I give them my HUID and they check me in. No card, but you'll get an email that your number was used to check in, and that's it!
I do the same thing. I am looking forward to getting the card though and swiping in like everyone else. :) I do wonder when we'll get them...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:47 pm

roranoa wrote:So what kind of jobs do they settle for? What would be some examples?
By way of example, Christopher Keyser went to HLS and then became a screenwriter. I wouldn't describe it as "settling"; he's one of the various people HLS cites as going down a non-law path after HLS and doing extremely well. There are a lot of these stories. A small (but not too small) percentage of HLS people pursue a non-law and non-consulting path afterward.

I have to admit, I'm having some trouble coming up with someone I know personally who ended up in dire job straits. The worst stories that I've heard are along the lines of, "Yeah, it was a little touch and go for a bit, but it worked out fine in the end." Or maybe the ones who decided that they didn't want to be lawyers at all and (typically) ditched law school altogether after 1 or 2 years. Other than the latter, people tend to be happy with what they get (outwardly, at least).

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:49 pm

did anybody have blum/knew somebody who did for laws of war? cant find any material for that class so would appreciate an outline or an old exam...pm if you got something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:33 am

What's the pay like for a summer job?

Also, what does the typical HLS grad make going into a big firm? and I say the typical grad... and not the salary of the law review, moot court winning, teacher assisting, 1L summer in Paris kind of salary

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:42 am

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:52 am

Does going to any T14 make it easy to get into big law?

Also, what are the hours like for big law? Is it typically a 5 day work week or are you working like all day everyday?

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 am

louierodriguez wrote:Does going to any T14 make it easy to get into big law?

Also, what are the hours like for big law? Is it typically a 5 day work week or are you working like all day everyday?
lawschooltransparency.com

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:28 am

BelugaWhale wrote:did anybody have blum/knew somebody who did for laws of war? cant find any material for that class so would appreciate an outline or an old exam...pm if you got something.
ugh, seriously? already? i'm in this class... so much for 2L year bringing the end of gunnin'

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:47 am

louierodriguez wrote:What's the pay like for a summer job?

Also, what does the typical HLS grad make going into a big firm? and I say the typical grad... and not the salary of the law review, moot court winning, teacher assisting, 1L summer in Paris kind of salary
biglaw pays more than that. why can't you google stuff?

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:35 am

Anybody received locker assignments yet?

justinp

Bronze

Post by justinp » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:36 am

louierodriguez wrote:Does going to any T14 make it easy to get into big law?

Hours at most market paying firms are neither 5 days/wk nor all day everyday. Will vary with practice group, geography, and how busy stuff is at the firm. My pretty uninformed guess just aggregating what various lawyers have told me is that 55-70 hours/wk working is kind of the normal band. If someone has better intel or real/non-anecdotal data pls share.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:32 am

Decent, reasonably priced dry cleaners close to campus?

edgeofthenight

Bronze

Post by edgeofthenight » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:38 am

Last edited by edgeofthenight on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

justinp

Bronze

Post by justinp » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:44 am

edgeofthenight wrote:Any former/current Groupius residents have pro-tips for making the room a tolerable temperature in the summer? I'm dying a slow, melty death.
Box fan in the window and cold shower before bed. Otherwise I suggest lurking around the air conditioned buildings of the law school.
wwwcol wrote:Decent, reasonably priced dry cleaners close to campus?
Mass Ave toward porter is basically a long strip of dry cleaners and barber shops, so experiment to see what you like on both fronts (assuming you're into barber shops, which seems like a 50/50 shot). For the record the correct answers are Rite-Way (around the corner from the Evergood Market corner grocery) and Charlie's up by Tamarind House.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:01 am

Highly, highly recommend The Laundry Room, Etc. for dry cleaning and Charlie's for haircuts.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”