Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zor

Bronze

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by zor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:48 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
gottago wrote:How feasible is it to live on 500/mo after accounting for Gropius, HUHS insurance, etc?

I'm not a big eater--this summer I've been spending $80/mo on food that I eat at home although I prob buy m misc snacks randomly and eat out w/ others occasionally, so I figure no more than $130/mo on food.

Also, when you've dealt with SFS to discuss special situations, have they been accommodating or more like "the rules are the rules"?

My situation isn't like a wholesale waiver of parental forms. More like I'd provide them with tax transcripts instead of the full returns.
As long as you're mostly cooking and not eating out much this is feasible, though cooking often in Gropius will be an accomplishment that many set out to do, but don't succeed in. If you're committed you definitely can, though. Or if you barely eat in general that works.
I am definitely in the pack of setting out to cook in Gropius, then never doing it.

Your proximity to a kitchen will correlate with your motivation to cook.
Is it mostly distance, or do the kitchens tend to be crowded? I really want to try and meal-prep for 3-5 days at a time, but these posts aren't very encouraging.
So I was in Gropius last year directly across from a kitchen and it was pretty shitty. #1 is the issue acrossthelake was talking about, in that the nearest supermarket is pretty annoying to get to. #2 is that in my case, the kitchen was shared by at least three floors--that's 60 people. So it was ALWAYS crowded, there was almost ALWAYS a line, and people are gross and would use all the pots and pants and then walk away and leave them in the sink for hours. So you often had to wash someone else's dishes so that you can cook with them. I had a mini fridge in my room because the main fridge was always packed to the point of explosion. And people were just generally pigs about the kitchen space, leaving the stove and floor dirty and ruining pots by leaving them unattended until they bubble and burn. What really drove me crazy was that people would leave their dirty dishes there overnight so that the nice cleaning lady would wash them for them the next day, which is totally not her job.

That said, a few people on my floor said that they lived there last year and had NONE of those issues. That it really depends year to year and floor to floor on whether you have a bunch of disrespectful jerks who can't clean up after themselves. I definitely walked by other kitchens that were not that crowded and seemed more peaceable. So maybe I won the jerk lotto, but it's probably worth knowing that it's a possibility.

Also don't live across from the kitchen unless you want to wake up at 6am every morning to dudebros with their loud-ass Nutribullets.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:49 pm

My preference is living off campus.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:03 pm

There is also Peapod (Stop&Shop's delivery service -- you order online and they deliver to your door). It's not as cheap as getting all your groceries at Market Basket, but if the alternative is ordering takeout all the time, obviously you're going to save.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:38 pm

ph14 wrote:My preference is living off campus.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:51 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Yup. I am way too old to put up with being prevented from preparing my own dinner by a sink full of someone else's dirty dishes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:53 pm

despina wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
Yup. I am way too old to put up with being prevented from preparing my own dinner by a sink full of someone else's dirty dishes.
I'm way too old for having a communal bathroom or kitchen.

bbsg

Bronze

Post by bbsg » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:00 am

wert3813 wrote:
bbsg wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Anybody know where I can read a #smarttake that's a unique perspective on the Hobby Lobby case? Something that isn't just the same stuff being said over and over again?
HLPR often has a decent (albeit unabashedly left-wing oriented) article up shortly after a major case is decided.
Yes. Yes they do.
Unsure if being sarcastic or affirming that HLPR is decent.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:15 am

I've lived in Gropius for the past three years and cooked for myself basically every meal after the first year. It's definitely doable. Knowing the following makes it easier.

The kitchen in Ames 3 is annoyingly busy, because it's shared by four floors, but Dane 1 and Dane 2 are pretty empty most of the time. Holmes 2 is also fine. Don't know Shaw or Story as well, but I have speculations somewhere earlier in this topic.

I went to Trader Joe's up by Fresh Pond about once every two or three weeks by bus/subway/walking (it's maybe a 30-minute walk). It's a little more of a bother than Star Market/Shaw's, but it's higher quality for basically the same price. If you're really into getting fresh fruits/vegetables regularly, you can supplement with local markets, which are more expensive but easier to get to, or with various delivery services.

Having a mini-fridge is a must if you're going to cook for yourself a lot. Space/security in the communal fridges is questionable, but a mini-fridge will fit what you need. I got this one (LinkRemoved), for reference; the separate freezer is a big plus.

It's probably best if you get your own plates and utensils and store them in your room. (There are shelves for this.) You can have one or two of your own pots, too, if you don't want to occasionally have to wash out a pot that someone else set to soak, but I never bothered. Also, I've occasionally wiped a counter that someone else left sort of greasy or wet, but I've never had to do much more than that.

The official rules aren't very clear on this, but as far as I can tell, if there's some kitchen implement you want that isn't already included in the kitchens (e.g., a blender, a coffeemaker, a rice cooker, whatever), you can buy it for yourself. The only restriction is that you have to use it in the kitchen, not in your room.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:29 am

Living off campus is much less expensive, and I would strongly recommend it. The only exception is if you live right by campus with no roommates (this can be very expensive). In addition to saving on rent, you can also buy groceries and cut down on delivery/Hark. If you live near Porter, Central, or Davis squares, you can bike or take the T to school with a pretty short commute.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:16 am

jrf12886 wrote:Living off campus is much less expensive
Than Gropius? You're finding rent in Cambridge that is "much less" than $771/month? Even with roommates, I wasn't able to do that well, when I looked.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:24 am

wert3813 wrote:Anybody know where I can read a #smarttake that's a unique perspective on the Hobby Lobby case? Something that isn't just the same stuff being said over and over again?
This Noah Feldman article is from long before the case was decided, but it anticipates the holding and is a bit more pragmatic than Jezebel and Free Republic. http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2 ... a-surprise

gottago

Bronze

Post by gottago » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 pm

I've lived in Gropius for the past three years...
I thought Gropius is "you're on your own" for your 2L and 3L years? Are there always Type-1 rooms left over after all the 1Ls are done choosing?

2. Thoughts on how to meet the undergraduate Houses' Masters and Deans so that you can apply to be a residential tutor in your 2L and 3L years, when you have no reason to be inside the Houses ever?

3. On an unrelated note, does going to HLS (either HLS itself or the first job HLS lands you) immunize you against shitlaw and doc review (as in working as a contract attorney, not as in doing doc review as an associate)? I caught up on some old threads about posters debating whether to move from shitlaw to doc review or vice versa and they sounded horrifying. Can you always count on holding a biglaw/inhouse job and being able to jump ship to another firm/inhouse (NLJ 250 or F1000), or can you really go from HLS to Skadden to shitlaw instead of HLS to Skadden to NLJ 250?

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:40 pm

I'm looking to buy a bag for school in the fall, and I can't decide between something more like a tote or a backpack. How much stuff are you really carrying back and forth (from living off campus)?

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:47 pm

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:57 pm

tomwatts wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:Living off campus is much less expensive
Than Gropius? You're finding rent in Cambridge that is "much less" than $771/month? Even with roommates, I wasn't able to do that well, when I looked.
I paid 750 (800-850 with utilities) and had two roommates in a fairly large house, but I lived in Somerville. I'd like to think I saved a lot of money on food (despite all the seamless orders I racked up).

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:15 pm

gottago wrote:
I've lived in Gropius for the past three years...
3. On an unrelated note, does going to HLS (either HLS itself or the first job HLS lands you) immunize you against shitlaw and doc review (as in working as a contract attorney, not as in doing doc review as an associate)? I caught up on some old threads about posters debating whether to move from shitlaw to doc review or vice versa and they sounded horrifying. Can you always count on holding a biglaw/inhouse job and being able to jump ship to another firm/inhouse (NLJ 250 or F1000), or can you really go from HLS to Skadden to shitlaw instead of HLS to Skadden to NLJ 250?
HLS will generally allow you to work at a desirable firm if that's the type of work you want to do. This is largely true even if your grades are towards the lower end of the spectrum. What happens to you after that job will depend on your performance much more than where you went to school.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:20 pm

politics89 wrote:I'm looking to buy a bag for school in the fall, and I can't decide between something more like a tote or a backpack. How much stuff are you really carrying back and forth (from living off campus)?
I think this has been covered in the thread before so you might find more opinions if you search.

My opinion is that you definitely want a backpack, especially for 1L. Every day you'll be carrying your laptop, charger, at least one and likely two enormous casebooks and/or course packs, plus whatever other miscellaneous things you would normally have in your purse (wallet, glasses, pencils, cell phone, tampons, a snack, umbrella, extra sweater, whatever). You might be able to fit all of that into a really big shoulder bag, but that's a lot of weight to carry on one shoulder while walking around / standing chatting with people, etc. A backpack is just easier, and almost everybody uses one 1L so don't worry about not looking "cool."

2L, I've been able to get away with just taking a large purse on many days, because I often have only one class per day or am just going to my clinic. I also have less reading so I'm able to get more of it done at school and leave my big casebooks in my locker.

Also, don't forget to sign up for a locker when the survey goes out later this summer. I think you're guaranteed one if you live off campus, and it's a life saver.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Is a backpack necessary if you're living in Gropius? If so, any recommendations? Preferably something sturdy, relatively inexpensive, decent-looking, and waterproof (I realize this is asking a lot).

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:45 pm

politics89 wrote:I'm looking to buy a bag for school in the fall, and I can't decide between something more like a tote or a backpack. How much stuff are you really carrying back and forth (from living off campus)?

Thanks!
I started with a messenger bag and I got to a point where my shoulder was in intense pain every evening. Then I bought a backpack and had no problems for the rest of the year. I say just skip ahead to the backpack. It's so much easier.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Get a backpack.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:58 pm

ph14 wrote:
Get a backpack.
Lol, I'm sold. I think the image even came out life size.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:10 pm

HorseThief wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Get a backpack.
That looks terrible. This is such a 0L question, but do you need to bring the books to class? I mean, do you carry them around on the reg?

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:14 pm

politics89 wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Get a backpack.
That looks terrible. This is such a 0L question, but do you need to bring the books to class? I mean, do you carry them around on the reg?
Yes. Normally your professor will expect you to have the textbook open to the case you're discussing, and you may well have to refer to it when cold-called.

ETA: Random tip: when taking notes on cases, it's nice to put the page number of the start of the case. That way when you're cold called, or when you're referring to your outline in the exam, you don't have to waste a bunch of time flipping through your book to find it.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:35 pm

MyopicVisage

New

Post by MyopicVisage » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm interested in the SV market (emerging companies/venture capital). Given that I have ties (went to school there, SO lives there, etc.), how difficult would it be? I'm at best a mediocre interviewer, have a couple degrees and a couple years WE.

I went through this thread and the information I found mostly dealt with SF/SV as a whole. I was told SF is litigation heavy so I should really only focus on SV offices. Am I misinformed?

What do I need to do in law school to make myself more competitive for this particular career goal? What kind of grades should I be aiming for? What should I do for 1L summer? etc. Looking for advice :)

Is Harvard Law Entrepreneurship Project (HLEP) something worth trying? What's the time commitment and how likely would I benefit from it?

Also interested in joining Harvard Business Law Review or Harvard Association for Law and Business. Any comments there? Should I pick an affinity group over these two option?...

Thank you so much!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”