BYU 1L taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shaville

New

Re: BYU 1L taking Questions

Post by shaville » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:26 pm

Are there any black people at BYU?

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:46 pm

gon09009 wrote:Does J. Rueben Clark Law School have night classes? Also, I understand that the school has externships instead of clinics. Can you tell me the difference? Thanks, I appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to answer our questions.
There are a few classes that are offered in the evening (4 or 5 pm) but not really any night classes. The first year curriculum doesn't have any evening classes.

Externship is just an internship that you get school credit for. I don't think they replace clinics, but you're right that there are no clinics, unfortunately. There is a new wannabe clinic that is trying to get started that pairs you up with a volunteer attorney to take on a divorce case or something like that. They haven't done a super job getting it up and running though.

shaville wrote:Are there any black people at BYU?
Maybe 5 or so at the law school this year. At BYU in general I don't know what percentage is black.

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 pm

So I have been accepted to BYU and right now I am leaning towards matriculating. However, I am very concerned about job prospects. BYU's current employment statistics only have a third of the class reporting salary so it is hard to get an accurate picture of the employment situation.

If there are any BYU students out there that could could throw out some personal experiences, anecdotes, or rumors, I would appreciate it!

Nestico87

New

Post by Nestico87 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 pm

Bump.

The Princeton Review ranks BYU as the second most competitive law school, I believe.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

How late every night does the average BYU Law student study? How hard is it to be top of class at BYU compared to other schools? (Someone told me it is as difficult to be top of class at BYU as it is at a top 14.)

Thoughts?

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Nestico87 wrote:Bump.

The Princeton Review ranks BYU as the second most competitive law school, I believe.

How late every night does the average BYU Law student study? How hard is it to be top of class at BYU compared to other schools? (Someone told me it is as difficult to be top of class at BYU as it is at a top 14.)

Thoughts?
I've seen that ranking, but I don't really buy it. The "average" student is gone in the late afternoon or evening, depending on class schedule (I have observed that more this semester because I have classes that get out at 5, 540, and 6 and most people are gone/leaving by then). Of course there are the annoying ones that refuse to have a life outside the school and will be here until late and come in on weekends. But most people aren't bad.

You're probably right that it is tough to be at the top... I wouldn't know because I'm not at the top! But do you really want to be at the top? (It doesn't look fun... There are some guys who used to play basketball with us 2 or 3 mornings a week, but now that they are in the top they don't come anymore... And what do you get if you're in the top? A slave job doing boring discovery with a big firm?)

So, no, it probably isn't that competitive on average. But yes, it probably is difficult to be in the top 10.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:03 pm

justcap wrote:

Thoughts?
And what do you get if you're in the top? A slave job doing boring discovery with a big firm?)
FTFY.

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:28 am

wired wrote:
justcap wrote:

Thoughts?
And what do you get if you're in the top? A slave job doing boring discovery with a big firm?)
FTFY.
Sure "a job" is better than "no job." But you don't have to be in the top to get "a job." I have a good job. Lots of non "top of class" people have good jobs. And some top don't have jobs...

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:33 am

justcap wrote:
wired wrote:
justcap wrote:

Thoughts?
FTFY.
Sure "a job" is better than "no job." But you don't have to be in the top to get "a job." I have a good job. Lots of non "top of class" people have good jobs. And some top don't have jobs...
Cognitive dissonance man. Firm jobs aren't "slave jobs." They are awesome. You get to work on complex matters and with great clients. NYC is a little more sweatshopish.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”