UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
seanPtheB

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm using padmapper.com (at the advice of a couple awesome UChi students) to look for apartments in the South Loop, but it's tough to tell exactly where I can look so that I can still easily catch public transportation to the law school campus. Can you guys give me some guidance on what exact area I should keep my search to so that getting to campus is still fairly easy by public transportation?

Thanks!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:35 pm

seanPtheB wrote:Hey guys,

So I'm using padmapper.com (at the advice of a couple awesome UChi students) to look for apartments in the South Loop, but it's tough to tell exactly where I can look so that I can still easily catch public transportation to the law school campus. Can you guys give me some guidance on what exact area I should keep my search to so that getting to campus is still fairly easy by public transportation?

Thanks!

Ideally you want to be within walking distance of the #2 bus route.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=41.86 ... 13&start=0

http://www.transitchicago.com/riding_ct ... outeId=159

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Emma. wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks!

Ideally you want to be within walking distance of the #2 bus route.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=41.86 ... 13&start=0

http://www.transitchicago.com/riding_ct ... outeId=159

Awesome, thanks!

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Can you guys tell me about how long the bus ride on the 2 would be from campus if you get off at the very end of the route (so just north of East Roosevelt on South Columbus Dr)?

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:29 pm

How do you look for places when you're not moving in until later in the year? It seems like most of the places I've found are available now or in the next month. Waiting until July or so to finalize housing seems really scary.

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:44 pm

tamereth wrote:How do you look for places when you're not moving in until later in the year? It seems like most of the places I've found are available now or in the next month. Waiting until July or so to finalize housing seems really scary.

Yea I read earlier in the thread that Regents is one of the few places that you can sign a lease more than a month or two out. So I'd like to know too if it's really possible to look for apartments in say, the South Loop right now since you won't know if they'll still be available a few months from now.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:52 pm

You will either have to live in Regents or wait, pretty much. I found a place in June for a September 1 lease, which was pretty early. There are a ton of housing options, though, so while it seems scary to wait (I was terrified I'd end up homeless or in a cave or something) you kind of just have to and there are plenty of places to live. People got off the WL pretty late last year and still found nice places. You can definitely start looking now because a lot of apartment buildings are huge and there's a good chance that other units will open for September, but you probably won't be able to sign a lease for a while.

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Dany wrote:You will either have to live in Regents or wait, pretty much. I found a place in June for a September 1 lease, which was pretty early. There are a ton of housing options, though, so while it seems scary to wait (I was terrified I'd end up homeless or in a cave or something) you kind of just have to and there are plenty of places to live. People got off the WL pretty late last year and still found nice places. You can definitely start looking now because a lot of apartment buildings are huge and there's a good chance that other units will open for September, but you probably won't be able to sign a lease for a while.

Thanks for the reassurance!
Last edited by tamereth on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:02 pm

About what I was expecting to hear, thanks Dany!

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Do any of you guys know what the deal is with thus "new business program" that keeps being mentioned in chats etc.? It sounds like they are trying to market it to applicants while keeping it hush-hush at the same time. Any of you guys know anything?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:33 pm

seanPtheB wrote:Can you guys tell me about how long the bus ride on the 2 would be from campus if you get off at the very end of the route (so just north of East Roosevelt on South Columbus Dr)?

Google Maps can tell you this.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Dany wrote:You will either have to live in Regents or wait, pretty much. I found a place in June for a September 1 lease, which was pretty early. There are a ton of housing options, though, so while it seems scary to wait (I was terrified I'd end up homeless or in a cave or something) you kind of just have to and there are plenty of places to live. People got off the WL pretty late last year and still found nice places. You can definitely start looking now because a lot of apartment buildings are huge and there's a good chance that other units will open for September, but you probably won't be able to sign a lease for a while.

Just want to throw in my two cents to say that Dany is right here, because it can be nerve-wracking. I know other college-areas around the country will fill up all the good lease quick, but that doesn't seem to be an issue in Hyde Park.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:38 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Do any of you guys know what the deal is with thus "new business program" that keeps being mentioned in chats etc.? It sounds like they are trying to market it to applicants while keeping it hush-hush at the same time. Any of you guys know anything?

They are going to have a lot more B-school classes cross-listed at the law school, and I guess ultimately have some kind of certificate/business concentration that you can get if you take enough of these classes or sign up for some particular syllabus of classes.. I don't think all the details are ironed out which is why you can't get specifics, but according to Dean Schill while the certificate program won't be up and running next year, the greater range of B-school classes offered at the law school should start next year. It isn't going to require any extra classes or anything AFAIK, you'll still get the certificate while taking 105 credits total. I'd guess it is going to be kind of like a businessy version of this: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/GPHAP.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 am

Emma. wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Do any of you guys know what the deal is with thus "new business program" that keeps being mentioned in chats etc.? It sounds like they are trying to market it to applicants while keeping it hush-hush at the same time. Any of you guys know anything?

They are going to have a lot more B-school classes cross-listed at the law school, and I guess ultimately have some kind of certificate/business concentration that you can get if you take enough of these classes or sign up for some particular syllabus of classes.. I don't think all the details are ironed out which is why you can't get specifics, but according to Dean Schill while the certificate program won't be up and running next year, the greater range of B-school classes offered at the law school should start next year. It isn't going to require any extra classes or anything AFAIK, you'll still get the certificate while taking 105 credits total. I'd guess it is going to be kind of like a businessy version of this: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/GPHAP.

Interesting. Any rumors about a 3-year JD/MBA program?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:31 am

lsatcrazy wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Do other schools do that? That seems insane.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:33 am

lsatcrazy wrote:Interesting. Any rumors about a 3-year JD/MBA program?

I seriously doubt that would ever happen.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:45 am

California Babe wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Do other schools do that? That seems insane.

Yeah, Yale/Columbia/Penn/Northwestern/Cornell all do it. It is kind of crazy, and doesn't seem like it would be Chicago's style. But the way they keep mentioning/promoting this new business thing, I figured it would be something big like that (or something more than just more cross-listed classes and a certificate).

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:04 am

Emma. wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:Can you guys tell me about how long the bus ride on the 2 would be from campus if you get off at the very end of the route (so just north of East Roosevelt on South Columbus Dr)?

Google Maps can tell you this.

Good point...thanks.

Emma.

Re: UChi Kids—Procrastinating from Exam Prep & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Middle of March... 78° at 7:30pm... done with exams... just went for a bike ride around the neighborhood in flipflops... people everywhere, all the local bars are super busy... Awesome.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:47 pm

Emma. wrote:Middle of March... 78° at 7:30pm... done with exams... just went for a bike ride around the neighborhood in flipflops... people everywhere, all the local bars are super busy... Awesome.

Is this real life?

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Emma. wrote:Middle of March... 78° at 7:30pm... done with exams... just went for a bike ride around the neighborhood in flipflops... people everywhere, all the local bars are super busy... Awesome.

As someone who will be coming from the deep south, this is music to my ears.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:20 am

Dany wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Interesting. Any rumors about a 3-year JD/MBA program?

I seriously doubt that would ever happen.

Mark my words, this will happen within five years. Booth can and will force it down the law school's throat. The law school has clout, but they are facing a formidable foe in Booth, who unlike the law school will adjust to market realities and will not allow the faculty to dictate admin policy to maintain culture. Not having a 3 year MBA will kill Booth against competitors like HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, and SBS (where US News doesn't matter and "ranking" is more based upon getting the best people who will come back and give $$$ to schools after running Tyco). This will especially be true after JD/MBA $$$ donors start pegging the law school administration on this issue.

This change would be for Booth students, not for law school students, as these students would be going to school during the summer and most law school students couldn't get into Booth anyway. There is a demand for this from an MBA perspective-- I know kids at Booth who are doing a JD at Cooley or another school while getting their parttime or E-MBA because they want to be in business, not law and the JD is increasingly useful for business-types as government regulation becomes a significant part of the competitive environment.

I would be the next domino in 10 years is a NU-style 2 year JD that will be significant after they realize they can make $$$ and their is a latent demand for this degree from current business people.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:07 am

For those who aren't going into LS with savings, anyone know how the preliminary rent costs are taken care of? I'll probably end up at Regents, but I can't front $3000+ for a typical first+last+sec. deposit. I'd really appreciate any input from current Chi students if you're out there

Should also mention that I tried searching through the forums and google for an answer and came up with squadoosh

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:24 am

vincanity1 wrote:For those who aren't going into LS with savings, anyone know how the preliminary rent costs are taken care of? I'll probably end up at Regents, but I can't front $3000+ for a typical first+last+sec. deposit. I'd really appreciate any input from current Chi students if you're out there

Should also mention that I tried searching through the forums and google for an answer and came up with squadoosh

Credit card is probably a good option until loans disburse.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:27 pm

vincanity1 wrote:For those who aren't going into LS with savings, anyone know how the preliminary rent costs are taken care of? I'll probably end up at Regents, but I can't front $3000+ for a typical first+last+sec. deposit. I'd really appreciate any input from current Chi students if you're out there

When I moved into regents (Sept. 2010 - and management has changed, so take this with a grain of salt), if you moved in after the 15th of the month, you had to pay a prorated rent for September, and pay all of October's rent. If you moved in before the 15th, you just paid for September. Also, Regents had (and this might have changed) a non-refundable move in fee of about $400 instead of a security deposit. You did not have to pay last month's rent. I used a credit card to pay for the initial payments, but I think they charged a service fee. If you also had pets (was $250 for a cat) or wanted parking ($175 a month) you would have to pay that at that time today.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”