UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Haymarket

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Flash wrote:I'm shooting for Legislation because I <3 Huq's voice.

Bring your dictionary.

Care to expand on the that enigmatic statement?

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

Bring your dictionary.

Sorry, it was a little tongue-in cheek. I think he does an excellent job as a professor, but he can use vocabulary that takes some getting used to. (Although this is more likely due to my terrible grasp of the finer points of English)

skers

Postby skers » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Does need access affect loans at all?

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:18 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Does need access affect loans at all?

I think the Perkins loan is need based, but that might be a federal thing. Stafford and Grad PLUS loans are not need based.

The school theoretically has some need based grants, and solicit the need access application from applicants, but I would bank on getting much. They prefer to give out merit based aid (read: formula based on LSAT and GPA) as it helps them go up US news rankings, and need based aid doesn't.

sealrsqr

Postby sealrsqr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

Bring your dictionary.

Sorry, it was a little tongue-in cheek. I think he does an excellent job as a professor, but he can use vocabulary that takes some getting used to. (Although this is more likely due to my terrible grasp of the finer points of English)

I have a fine grasp of English but I also find myself translating Huq's extensive vocabulary into my own Valley Girl speak. That said, I highly recommend this 1L elective. Huq is a great prof and the content of this class is foundational. It will help you in practically every other class you take over the next two years. His socratic and his exams are demanding, but never mean spirited. He just wants to make us better lawyers.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 pm

duckmoney wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:Does need access affect loans at all?

I think the Perkins loan is need based, but that might be a federal thing. Stafford and Grad PLUS loans are not need based.

The school theoretically has some need based grants, and solicit the need access application from applicants, but I would bank on getting much. They prefer to give out merit based aid (read: formula based on LSAT and GPA) as it helps them go up US news rankings, and need based aid doesn't.

Fed subsidized loans are gone next year.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Just read: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1958366

Any thoughts? Are the descriptions remotely accurate? Unloads pretty heavily on Levmore (aka "Not Silent"). He seems honest, but also a little kooky...

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:00 am

lsatcrazy wrote:Just read: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1958366

Any thoughts? Are the descriptions remotely accurate? Unloads pretty heavily on Levmore (aka "Not Silent"). He seems honest, but also a little kooky...

Haven't read it, but pretty sure the median for student normalcy/social competency has gone up pretty drastically even from their year.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:09 am

lsatcrazy wrote:Just read: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1958366

"I am a Chinese American who at age 14 enrolled at Princeton and at age 17 began my applied mathematics Ph.D. at Harvard."

This is a sign that you probably should take the entire thing with a fucking heart-attack inducing grain of salt and not care about this. If this has any real influence on your decision then God help you.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 am

Must be something in the water at the University of Colorado Law School these days...

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:14 am

I think I speak for most Chicago law students when I say....

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:25 am

Ugh...that was an ugly read, especially since I <3 Nussbaum.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:29 am

Doorkeeper wrote:

Ugh...that was an ugly read, especially since I <3 Nussbaum.

I very wise former Supreme Court clerk once asked me rhetorically, "Why would you ever take a law school class from someone without a law degree?"

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:32 am

I honestly read this after reading "Hymn of the Tiger Mother", not expecting anything about law schools at all. Pleasant surprise, although it dimmed my enthusiasm for UChi a bit...

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:33 am

lsatcrazy wrote:I honestly read this after reading "Hymn of the Tiger Mother", not expecting anything about law schools at all. Pleasant surprise, although it dimmed my enthusiasm for UChi a bit...

See Haymarket, supra.

Wow. I actually read that thing, at least the parts about Chicago. Not only does that guy sound like he was kind of annoying in class, he seems to have absolutely zero sense of humor or appreciation for law school. I know this is probably pretty biased, but he seems pretty butthurt about Chicago in an unjustified way.
Last edited by Haymarket on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:42 am

Last edited by Doorkeeper on Tue May 08, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:52 am

Haymarket wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:I honestly read this after reading "Hymn of the Tiger Mother", not expecting anything about law schools at all. Pleasant surprise, although it dimmed my enthusiasm for UChi a bit...

See Haymarket, supra.

Some of the stuff in there are stories, not his feelings or interpretations (though obviously told from his biased perspective). I would agree that there is something weird about the dude (as I mentioned in my initial post, plus he was denied tenure at Penn and seems to value "happiness" over all else), but some of the Chicago/Penn faculty sound less than awesome (to put it mildly). Listen, I'm a big fan of UChi, and may well end up there, but I'm just trying to do some due diligence as to the 25% yield and the cutthroat rep. Having said that, getting past the UChi kool-aid is hard around here (thanks Taipei!), and you all seem satisfied, which is actually quite encouraging!

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:57 am

lsatcrazy wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

See Haymarket, supra.

Some of the stuff in there are stories, not his feelings or interpretations (though obviously told from his biased perspective). I would agree that there is something weird about the dude (as I mentioned in my initial post, plus he was denied tenure at Penn and seems to value "happiness" over all else), but some of the Chicago/Penn faculty sound less than awesome (to put it mildly). Listen, I'm a big fan of UChi, and may well end up there, but I'm just trying to do some due diligence as to the 25% yield and the cutthroat rep. Having said that, getting past the UChi kool-aid is hard around here (thanks Taipei!), and you all seem satisfied, which is actually quite encouraging!

My advice: You'll be much better served getting opinions of actual current students from each of the schools and going on visits than you will in reading the 18 year old experiences of some strange, possibly bitter professor who likely has an ulterior motive and did not write such a paper with a 0L audience in mind. I think it is irrational to give it any more than an iota of weight in your decision just as I don't think you should decide on whether to go to Harvard based on your experience reading "1L".

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:01 am

Haymarket wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Some of the stuff in there are stories, not his feelings or interpretations (though obviously told from his biased perspective). I would agree that there is something weird about the dude (as I mentioned in my initial post, plus he was denied tenure at Penn and seems to value "happiness" over all else), but some of the Chicago/Penn faculty sound less than awesome (to put it mildly). Listen, I'm a big fan of UChi, and may well end up there, but I'm just trying to do some due diligence as to the 25% yield and the cutthroat rep. Having said that, getting past the UChi kool-aid is hard around here (thanks Taipei!), and you all seem satisfied, which is actually quite encouraging!

My advice: You'll be much better served getting opinions of actual current students from each of the schools and going on visits than you will in reading the 18 year old experiences of some strange, possibly bitter professor who likely has an ulterior motive and did not write such a paper with a 0L audience in mind. I think it is irrational to give it any more than an iota of weight in your decision just as I don't think you should decide on whether to go to Harvard based on your experience reading "1L".

This. This this this.

References to UChi's "cutthroat rep" is the sign of someone not actually talking to current/recent students at UChi. Due diligence? Right.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:04 am

Hopefully I'll be visiting all of CCN sometime in the next month, and no I wasn't basing my decision on that paper whatsoever. I was just surprised by the tone and descriptions, and was curious as to what current students thought. And come on CB, you can't deny that UChi still has a certain "fun goes to die" rep. Not having visited, I can't comment on the general student body, hopefully I'll get that part of the due diligence done soon. However, as I mentioned, all UChi TLSers seem happy, and that factors into my decision way more than the paper.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:14 am

lsatcrazy wrote:Hopefully I'll be visiting all of CCN sometime in the next month, and no I wasn't basing my decision on that paper whatsoever. I was just surprised by the tone and descriptions, and was curious as to what current students thought. And come on CB, you can't deny that UChi still has a certain "fun goes to die" rep. Not having visited, I can't comment on the general student body, hopefully I'll get that part of the due diligence done soon. However, as I mentioned, all UChi TLSers seem happy, and that factors into my decision way more than the paper.

A word of wisdom: you won't get the best reaction out of current students by presenting them with the perceived faults in their school and then asking for their reaction or defense. It's off putting. After you do your due diligence and such, we're definitely happy to answer any general or specific questions about Chicago, but there likely won't be any active recruitment and lobbying.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:22 am

Haymarket wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Hopefully I'll be visiting all of CCN sometime in the next month, and no I wasn't basing my decision on that paper whatsoever. I was just surprised by the tone and descriptions, and was curious as to what current students thought. And come on CB, you can't deny that UChi still has a certain "fun goes to die" rep. Not having visited, I can't comment on the general student body, hopefully I'll get that part of the due diligence done soon. However, as I mentioned, all UChi TLSers seem happy, and that factors into my decision way more than the paper.

A word of wisdom: you won't get the best reaction out of current students by presenting them with the perceived faults in their school and then asking for their reaction or defense. It's off putting. After you do your due diligence and such, we're definitely happy to answer any general or specific questions about Chicago, but there likely won't be any active recruitment and lobbying.

My apologies if I sounded like I was trying to unlodge some kind of fault - I really wasn't. The way you guys have come to your school's defense is actually quite encouraging, and tells me a lot about the general attitude at UChi. TaipeiMort jokes aside, you guys really are doing good recruitment and lobbying just by being so active and positive about your experience at Chicago. Or maybe I'm used to my undergrad, which I didn't particularly enjoy and have no problem bashing...

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Is it too early to go into coasting mode?

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Flash wrote:Is it too early to go into coasting mode?

I have, but I don't think my opinion counts. :lol:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Flash wrote:Is it too early to go into coasting mode?

If so, I'm pretty screwed.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”