UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I will say... never judge a school from an internet forum.

I've been going about this law school decision all wrong. Are there better criteria than judging schools based on their most visible current student posters on TLS? :?

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 pm

Nelson wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I will say... never judge a school from an internet forum.

I've been going about this law school decision all wrong. Are there better criteria than judging schools based on their most visible current student posters on TLS? :?


Whatever Elie Mystal says about a school anything is 100% take-it-to-the-bank truth.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:52 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote::| :| :|

And to answer the question, there is a niche in Chicago for every type of person. You've got your married folk, your bar review folk, your "engage in consistent intellectual discussion" folk... and others.

I will say... never judge a school from an internet forum. You will never see most of the people who post here, unless you choose to, and the class is diverse enough that you'll find people you want to hang out with.


Resent the implication that married folk can't be bar review folk. :wink:

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Flash » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Did any of you 2Ls and 3Ls RA over your 1L summer? If so for whom and how was it?

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Flash wrote:Did any of you 2Ls and 3Ls RA over your 1L summer? If so for whom and how was it?

Is this a subtle attempt to get them all to out themselves?

Related.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Flash » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Flash wrote:Did any of you 2Ls and 3Ls RA over your 1L summer? If so for whom and how was it?

Is this a subtle attempt to get them all to out themselves?

Related.

yes

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:19 am

Hi guys! I just got accepted to Chicago and it's currently my number 1 choice. I just spent an hour or so reading every page of this thread and found a lot of great information.

A question: have any of you guys taken classes outside of the law school? It looks like Chicago allows students to take 12 credits (4 courses?) outside of the law school. Is this encouraged or discouraged? Is it generally a good or bad idea?

I'm interested in corporate transactional law, and I thought it might be interesting to take a couple of courses in the business school. Is that feasible? What about an undergraduate Spanish course?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:23 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Hi guys! I just got accepted to Chicago and it's currently my number 1 choice. I just spent an hour or so reading every page of this thread and found a lot of great information.

A question: have any of you guys taken classes outside of the law school? It looks like Chicago allows students to take 12 credits (4 courses?) outside of the law school. Is this encouraged or discouraged? Is it generally a good or bad idea?

I'm interested in corporate transactional law, and I thought it might be interesting to take a couple of courses in the business school. Is that feasible? What about an undergraduate Spanish course?

I know a 3L who took an undergrad spanish course (I think it was like Spanish 100 lol), so it definitely happens.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:28 am

god I cannot wait to do that. (Spanish 100)

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:29 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Hi guys! I just got accepted to Chicago and it's currently my number 1 choice. I just spent an hour or so reading every page of this thread and found a lot of great information.

A question: have any of you guys taken classes outside of the law school? It looks like Chicago allows students to take 12 credits (4 courses?) outside of the law school. Is this encouraged or discouraged? Is it generally a good or bad idea?

I'm interested in corporate transactional law, and I thought it might be interesting to take a couple of courses in the business school. Is that feasible? What about an undergraduate Spanish course?

I also know a 2L who is taking a graduate Econ class. I think generally the school is very encouraging of taking classes "across the Midway" in different areas, and that includes the business school. As far as it being a good idea, I think it depends, but you're not likely to find some employer who will ding you for having taken some management class at Booth.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:42 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I know a 3L who took an undergrad spanish course (I think it was like Spanish 100 lol), so it definitely happens.

Thanks! I've been taking a Spanish course this semester and enjoying it greatly.

I was also thinking it might help to show a commitment to working in FL if my wife and I decide Chicago & NYC are too cold for the long-term. I have some weak ties but could add a line to my cover letter to the effect of "and I have been learning Spanish to make myself a better fit for the Florida legal market." Being a 0L, though, I don't know if that would actually help or not.

Also, I just saw on google maps that there is a skating rink directly opposite the Law School on the Midway Plaisance. I'm surprisingly excited about that.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:44 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
Also, I just saw on google maps that there is a skating rink directly opposite the Law School on the Midway Plaisance. I'm surprisingly excited about that.

Yeah, it's right by the law school. Professor Helmholz has had a couple of skating sessions this quarter with students. I don't ice skate, but I know some students have taken advantage of it.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Hi guys! I just got accepted to Chicago and it's currently my number 1 choice. I just spent an hour or so reading every page of this thread and found a lot of great information.

A question: have any of you guys taken classes outside of the law school? It looks like Chicago allows students to take 12 credits (4 courses?) outside of the law school. Is this encouraged or discouraged? Is it generally a good or bad idea?

I'm interested in corporate transactional law, and I thought it might be interesting to take a couple of courses in the business school. Is that feasible? What about an undergraduate Spanish course?


Both are definitely feasible. We also have a new program starting up that is going to end up with a lot more business focused classes being cross-listed at both Booth and the law school, which would mean that you can probably cover a lot of the business stuff through the law school and save your 12 across-the-Midway credits for other things.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Flash wrote:Did any of you 2Ls and 3Ls RA over your 1L summer? If so for whom and how was it?


I didn't, but I think it depends a lot on the professor. It also seems like RAing doesn't play as well at OCI as some other gigs. It doesn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage, but if you choose to RA you might need to work a little harder to put together a good narrative about the job for your OCI interviews. Practicing attorneys seem to view law school as almost entirely unrelated to the "real world" of work in a firm, and if you've RAed over the summer they view that as more of the same. Basically you just want to be able to tell a story about something concrete and practical that you worked on. You can probably find that through an RA job, but spending the whole summer doing research for a professor's book on some really out-there & purely academic topic will probably not fly that well.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:23 am

Emma. wrote:We also have a new program starting up that is going to end up with a lot more business focused classes being cross-listed at both Booth and the law school, which would mean that you can probably cover a lot of the business stuff through the law school and save your 12 across-the-Midway credits for other things.

Thanks! That's great to know. A number of other t14 schools already offer a way to take business school classes through the law school, so it's good to hear Chicago is following suit.

I'll have to find someone in the administration to question/harass about the details during ASW.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Flash » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Emma. wrote:
Flash wrote:Did any of you 2Ls and 3Ls RA over your 1L summer? If so for whom and how was it?


I didn't, but I think it depends a lot on the professor. It also seems like RAing doesn't play as well at OCI as some other gigs. It doesn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage, but if you choose to RA you might need to work a little harder to put together a good narrative about the job for your OCI interviews. Practicing attorneys seem to view law school as almost entirely unrelated to the "real world" of work in a firm, and if you've RAed over the summer they view that as more of the same. Basically you just want to be able to tell a story about something concrete and practical that you worked on. You can probably find that through an RA job, but spending the whole summer doing research for a professor's book on some really out-there & purely academic topic will probably not fly that well.

Interesting... I've got a very P.I.y resume and don't want firms thinking I'm a P.I. gunner. So if it came down to PI vs. RAing which do you think would show more of a willingness for firm work?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:24 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
Emma. wrote:We also have a new program starting up that is going to end up with a lot more business focused classes being cross-listed at both Booth and the law school, which would mean that you can probably cover a lot of the business stuff through the law school and save your 12 across-the-Midway credits for other things.

Thanks! That's great to know. A number of other t14 schools already offer a way to take business school classes through the law school, so it's good to hear Chicago is following suit.

I'll have to find someone in the administration to question/harass about the details during ASW.


We've always allowed you to take classes like accounting and corporate finance through the law school so it isn't like Chicago is just following suit. What I mentioned is part of a new "business concentration" program that I think is something only offered here and at UCLA?

pupperoni
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby pupperoni » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:46 pm

facing NYU vs Chicago, which school better for prestigious biglaw or clerkships. and taipeimort, please don't participate.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Flash » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:49 pm

pupperoni wrote:facing NYU vs Chicago, which school better for prestigious biglaw or clerkships. and taipeimort, please don't participate.

Chicago.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:58 pm

pupperoni wrote:facing NYU vs Chicago, which school better for prestigious biglaw or clerkships. and taipeimort, please don't participate.

Just go look at the school data. That's the best way to get the most recent results. You can find other past data from basic google or TLS searches.

Here is Chicago and NYU

But if you really want to know, it's not going to depend on where you went to school so much as what your grades are, if you get LR and what you do, etc. So, I wouldn't pick one school over the other just because in one particular year it had .5% more Art. III clerks than the other.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Xifeng » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Haymarket wrote:
pupperoni wrote:facing NYU vs Chicago, which school better for prestigious biglaw or clerkships. and taipeimort, please don't participate.

Just go look at the school data. That's the best way to get the most recent results. You can find other past data from basic google or TLS searches.

Here is Chicago and NYU

But if you really want to know, it's not going to depend on where you went to school so much as what your grades are, if you get LR and what you do, etc. So, I wouldn't pick one school over the other just because in one particular year it had .5% more Art. III clerks than the other.


This, and you may find more self-selection away from biglaw at NYU. It also may depend on which city you want biglaw in, because I think that's when differences between NYU and Chicago would become relevant.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Emma. wrote:We've always allowed you to take classes like accounting and corporate finance through the law school so it isn't like Chicago is just following suit. What I mentioned is part of a new "business concentration" program that I think is something only offered here and at UCLA?

Thanks! There are some other schools that offer business certificates or programs (UVA, Penn), but they sound more like your description of what Chicago used to do.

In an attempt to move the discussion from Chicago vs NYU to something important: has anyone here seen The Vow yet? My wife went to see it tonight, and apparently the main character (played by Rachel McAdams) goes to Chicago Law. They show her attending a class, as well as the outside of the law school (though from what my wife said, it seems like they used another UofC building - something in the Collegiate Gothic style). I wonder if this will have any affect on admissions? My wife seems more excited about Chicago now. :roll:

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:34 am

Any thoughts on choosing a 1L elective? Our choices are

Comparative Legal Institutions (Ginsburg)
Emotion, Reason, and Law (Nussbaum)
International Trade Law (Bradford)
Jurisprudence I (Leiter)
Labor Law (Weinrib)
Legislation and Statutory Interpretation (Huq)

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Flash » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Dany wrote:Any thoughts on choosing a 1L elective? Our choices are

Comparative Legal Institutions (Ginsburg)
Emotion, Reason, and Law (Nussbaum)
International Trade Law (Bradford)
Jurisprudence I (Leiter)
Labor Law (Weinrib)
Legislation and Statutory Interpretation (Huq)

I'm shooting for Legislation because I <3 Huq's voice.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Flash wrote:I'm shooting for Legislation because I <3 Huq's voice.


Bring your dictionary.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests