UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Xifeng

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby Xifeng » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Xifeng wrote:

...I definitely had to create my own spreadsheet because the linked one confused me. Math. :oops:

A1: Your "GPA" aka the average of your two scores
A2: 177 (our median)
A3: 180 (using one of the rough data points Emma gave; I tried them all and they're roughly the same)
A4: 10 (meaning a 180 is the top 10%; if you had put 179 in A3, then put 20 in A4)
A5: Your rank as a percentile. (So if you had put "177" in A1 you would get "50" in A5)

...yeah, I did that. In my own spreadsheet. It was rigorous.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
California Babe wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:[Are distributions for the upper-level courses provided anywhere?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you're wondering about the median for upper-level courses, it stays at 177 for regular classes, and 179 for seminars (I've heard that paper seminars are 179 and paper/exam seminars are 178, but I'm not sure). It's not entirely clear what the required distribution beyond that is (ie, how many A's, B's, and C's). Classes with less than 10 people are not curved.

Ah, thank you. To clarify I meant something that provided information like the range of grades (ex: 174 to 183) and possibly # at each grade for a particular course.

No we don't get information like that at all. Sorry.

NakedPowerOrgan

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:42 pm

California Babe wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:
California Babe wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:[Are distributions for the upper-level courses provided anywhere?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you're wondering about the median for upper-level courses, it stays at 177 for regular classes, and 179 for seminars (I've heard that paper seminars are 179 and paper/exam seminars are 178, but I'm not sure). It's not entirely clear what the required distribution beyond that is (ie, how many A's, B's, and C's). Classes with less than 10 people are not curved.

Ah, thank you. To clarify I meant something that provided information like the range of grades (ex: 174 to 183) and possibly # at each grade for a particular course.

Why not? Other T10 schools do. What's wrong with a little transparency....

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:11 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
California Babe wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Ah, thank you. To clarify I meant something that provided information like the range of grades (ex: 174 to 183) and possibly # at each grade for a particular course.

I'm not sure why you think I know the answer to that question, or why you think I need to be persuaded that more transparency is better. I am a student. I do not make decisions about how much grade information the school will release.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Not knowing our percentile distributions means employers don't know our percentile distributions either, so we're just lumped into "good grades" "decent grades" and "shitty grades". Since the first two piles are presumably bigger than the last pile, this helps us gets jerbs. Stop complaining about transparency.

NakedPowerOrgan

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 pm

California Babe wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
California Babe wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Ah, thank you. To clarify I meant something that provided information like the range of grades (ex: 174 to 183) and possibly # at each grade for a particular course.

I'm not sure why you think I know the answer to that question, or why you think I need to be persuaded that more transparency is better. I am a student. I do not make decisions about how much grade information the school will release.

I was just wondering if there was an official tagline from Dean Gardner as to why not, other than, "Your grades are not a reflection of you as a student so we keep them as secret as possible, even if there were anonymous, so nobody gets their feelings hurt." I wasn't asking you to defend it. It's not like I would expect a student to defend the school's lack of transparency or rules such as supposedly blocking the wifi from classes even though a quarter of the students in my class today were on the Internet. Eh.

NakedPowerOrgan

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:22 pm

duckmoney wrote:Not knowing our percentile distributions means employers don't know our percentile distributions either, so we're just lumped into "good grades" "decent grades" and "shitty grades". Since the first two piles are presumably bigger than the last pile, this helps us gets jerbs. Stop complaining about transparency.

Employers have a pretty good idea anyway. Many of the people at OCI were alums, and they interview so many people, they generally get a good idea of things. And I was more just discussing transparency as to 2L + 3L classes, which generally don't matter much for the job hunt.

Also, I think that at least one of our Elements profs released a very detailed breakdown as to where the grade distribution was for the class. How many people do you think are going to be shut out of the job market because of that?

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:13 am

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Not knowing our percentile distributions means employers don't know our percentile distributions either, so we're just lumped into "good grades" "decent grades" and "shitty grades". Since the first two piles are presumably bigger than the last pile, this helps us gets jerbs. Stop complaining about transparency.

Employers have a pretty good idea anyway. Many of the people at OCI were alums, and they interview so many people, they generally get a good idea of things. And I was more just discussing transparency as to 2L + 3L classes, which generally don't matter much for the job hunt.

Also, I think that at least one of our Elements profs released a very detailed breakdown as to where the grade distribution was for the class. How many people do you think are going to be shut out of the job market because of that?

I wouldn't think many, because employers don't see it and it's a violation of school policy to show them.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Emma. wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

(1Ls just got their grades)

I had a sad, sad laugh at this. :|

By the way, any 2Ls or 3Ls, I have a couple employers who wanted my fall grades. How do I get those grades to them? Can I get like a pdf of my transcript or grade report?

You can download a secure PDF from cMore and then email it to them. We also get an unlimited number of official printed transcripts but those take a few days and probably not worth the wait.

Just FYI, I had a copy sent to myself and then downloaded it. I then wanted to test it to make sure it opens for others, and the non-Chicago person I emailed it to just got three blank pages. Just a word of warning. Not sure if it's always like that or something that can be fixed.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

(1Ls just got their grades)

I had a sad, sad laugh at this. :|

By the way, any 2Ls or 3Ls, I have a couple employers who wanted my fall grades. How do I get those grades to them? Can I get like a pdf of my transcript or grade report?

You can download a secure PDF from cMore and then email it to them. We also get an unlimited number of official printed transcripts but those take a few days and probably not worth the wait.

Just FYI, I had a copy sent to myself and then downloaded it. I then wanted to test it to make sure it opens for others, and the non-Chicago person I emailed it to just got three blank pages. Just a word of warning. Not sure if it's always like that or something that can be fixed.

Preview for Macs can't properly open the secure PDFs, but Adobe should be able to view it.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Haymarket wrote:Just FYI, I had a copy sent to myself and then downloaded it. I then wanted to test it to make sure it opens for others, and the non-Chicago person I emailed it to just got three blank pages. Just a word of warning. Not sure if it's always like that or something that can be fixed.

FML I just sent it to employers, but you're right it doesn't work on other computers. That seems like a design flaw.

If you print it and then scan it it should work no problem. Doing this now.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Emma. wrote:
Preview for Macs can't properly open the secure PDFs, but Adobe should be able to view it.

IS THERE ANY PROBLEM YOU CANNOT ANSWER? Thank you! I did send it to a Mac user, now that I think about it. I'll try it with someone else.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:22 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Just FYI, I had a copy sent to myself and then downloaded it. I then wanted to test it to make sure it opens for others, and the non-Chicago person I emailed it to just got three blank pages. Just a word of warning. Not sure if it's always like that or something that can be fixed.

FML I just sent it to employers, but you're right it doesn't work on other computers. That seems like a design flaw.

Emma was right. It does open in Adobe. I had just sent it to a Mac user who didn't open it that way and they told me it was blank. Sorry for the false alarm.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:22 pm

duckmoney wrote:

Dammit did a Mac user too. Works fine in Windows.

If your employer needs a mac-compatible version, print it and scan it.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Just so everyone is clear: this a problem with Preview, not the transcript or Macs. Preview is not capable of displaying secured PDFs.

Last year when I e-mailed the transcripts, I noted in the e-mail that they are secured PDFs and have to be opened using Adobe Reader. Never had any problems. You could also screen capture the transcript rather than print and scan, but it seems shocking to me that an employer would not know how to properly open a secured PDF.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Supreme wrote:Is there anyway to figure out what our class rank is? This could have a serious impact on my decision to drop out.

If it's below 177, there is really no way to figure it out.

Honestly, Fall grades for 1L are pretty useless. I know Dean Gardner talked about this, but really, they aren't worth much... even for your final 1L grade. And to add to the previous discussion, I would love it if the law school went old school and listed everyone's grades next to a randomly assigned number.

Also, select 1Ls... stop sending stupid e-mails to ATL.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:08 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Edit. I was tired and impatient with panicky 1Ls who choose to go to Chicago and then player-hate and whine about the helpful curve and awesome dean of students.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:55 pm

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Emma. wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

Will ATL publish anything? The e-mail from Dean Gardner seemed like the most cookie-cutter, non-newsworthy email possible.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Emma. wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

Will ATL publish anything? The e-mail from Dean Gardner seemed like the most cookie-cutter, non-newsworthy email possible.

ATL is terrible and going downhill all the time.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:47 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Emma. wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

It's such a newsworthy e-mail that it is almost word-for-word exactly the same e-mail she sent out last year when 1L grades came out.

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:58 am

I have my gmail setup to forward all my lawannounce emails to ATL.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:18 am

Flash wrote:I have my gmail setup to forward all my lawannounce emails to ATL.

:lol:

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm

I feel like I should know this by this point, but are there 2 quarter classes 2L and 3L year?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”