UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
California Babe

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:26 pm

noBass wrote:How is the 1L attrition as Chicago? I know it says 1% from a few sources, but I was curious if you as a student saw others "flunk" out or if people left due to finances or personal reasons?

Nobody flunks out here. I think last year we had one transfer to Stanford, and one person left for personal (medical, I think) reasons.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:24 pm

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

(1Ls just got their grades)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

I had a sad, sad laugh at this. :|

By the way, any 2Ls or 3Ls, I have a couple employers who wanted my fall grades. How do I get those grades to them? Can I get like a pdf of my transcript or grade report?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote: I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

By the way, any 2Ls or 3Ls, I have a couple employers who wanted my fall grades. How do I get those grades to them? Can I get like a pdf of my transcript or grade report?

You can download a secure PDF from cMore and then email it to them. We also get an unlimited number of official printed transcripts but those take a few days and probably not worth the wait.

Supreme

Postby Supreme » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Is there anyway to figure out what our class rank is? This could have a serious impact on my decision to drop out.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Emma. wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

You can download a secure PDF from cMore and then email it to them. We also get an unlimited number of official printed transcripts but those take a few days and probably not worth the wait.

Awesome, thanks.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:52 pm

Supreme wrote:Is there anyway to figure out what our class rank is? This could have a serious impact on my decision to drop out.

Not really, especially based on 2 data points. A 179 average might put you at the top 20% based on graduation honors. In our year I think top 10% at the end of 1L was above 180 and top 5% was above 180.5.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Emma. wrote:
Supreme wrote:Is there anyway to figure out what our class rank is? This could have a serious impact on my decision to drop out.

Not really, especially based on 2 data points. A 179 average might put you at the top 20% based on graduation honors. In our year I think top 10% at the end of 1L was above 180 and top 5% was above 180.5.

Sorry, I might be functionally retarded, but by download a PDF, do you mean something other than having a secure PDF emailed to ourselves? I'm not seeing another way. Sorry for the specific question.

Edit: Nevermind. I'm reasonably sure that's the only way. Just being lawtistic.
Last edited by Haymarket on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Sorry, I might be functionally retarded, but by download a PDF, do you mean something other than having a secure PDF emailed to ourselves? I'm not seeing another way. Sorry for the specific question.

Yeah, they'll email you a link or something to download it. I can't remember exactly how it works but you end up with an uneditable "official" electronic transcript. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes IIRC.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Emma. wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Yeah, they'll email you a link or something to download it. I can't remember exactly how it works but you end up with an uneditable "official" electronic transcript. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes IIRC.

Awesome. Thanks. You are consistently helpful.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:04 pm

Emma. wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Do you actually download it or do you just have them email you the etranscript? Looks like this takes a few days too. Or am I missing something?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:07 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Do you actually download it or do you just have them email you the etranscript? Looks like this takes a few days too. Or am I missing something?

See above. I can't remember exactly how it works. Maybe they email you the document, or maybe a link to download it? It should not take long at all.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:09 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Never mind I can't read posts above me.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Emma. wrote:
See above. I can't remember exactly how it works. Maybe they email you the document, or maybe a link to download it? It should not take long at all.

UChicago Transcript Email wrote:
Thank you for ordering through the University of Chicago Transcript ordering service! Your order will be fulfilled by the University of Chicago in 1-3 business days. An email notification will be sent when your order is ready.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:18 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Thank you for ordering through the University of Chicago Transcript ordering service! Your order will be fulfilled by the University of Chicago in 1-3 business days. An email notification will be sent when your order is ready.

Doesn't actually take as long as they say it does.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:20 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Emma. wrote:

I just checked. The last time I ordered an etranscript I got that same email, but then had my transcript within 2 hours. I had remembered it being shorter but it definitely isn't a matter of days!

Supreme

Postby Supreme » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Emma. wrote:

These top of the class numbers are of no help.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Supreme wrote:
Emma. wrote:

They're basically the only numbers that are ever available to us, and even those numbers aren't ever officially announced by the school so they're mushy and mostly the product of word-of-mouth figuring out who got K&E or LR and with what GPA (and who didn't).

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:49 pm

California Babe wrote:
Supreme wrote:
Emma. wrote:

They're basically the only numbers that are ever available to us, and even those numbers aren't ever officially announced by the school so they're mushy and mostly the product of word-of-mouth figuring out who got K&E or LR and with what GPA (and who didn't).

Are distributions for the upper-level courses provided anywhere?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:[Are distributions for the upper-level courses provided anywhere?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you're wondering about the median for upper-level courses, it stays at 177 for regular classes, and 179 for seminars (I've heard that paper seminars are 179 and paper/exam seminars are 178, but I'm not sure). It's not entirely clear what the required distribution beyond that is (ie, how many A's, B's, and C's). Classes with less than 10 people are not curved.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:00 pm

California Babe wrote:Classes with less than 10 people are not curved.

I think with less than 10 people the prof can choose to apply for a deviation from the curve, but there is still some kind of curve in almost every class.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Supreme wrote:
Emma. wrote:

You can make a rough estimate based on Emma's numbers, a median of 177, and your numbers using this tool.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157992

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Supreme wrote:
Emma. wrote:

You can make a rough estimate based on Emma's numbers, a median of 177, and your numbers using this tool.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157992

...I definitely had to create my own spreadsheet because the linked one confused me. Math. :oops:

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:35 pm

California Babe wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:[Are distributions for the upper-level courses provided anywhere?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you're wondering about the median for upper-level courses, it stays at 177 for regular classes, and 179 for seminars (I've heard that paper seminars are 179 and paper/exam seminars are 178, but I'm not sure). It's not entirely clear what the required distribution beyond that is (ie, how many A's, B's, and C's). Classes with less than 10 people are not curved.

Ah, thank you. To clarify I meant something that provided information like the range of grades (ex: 174 to 183) and possibly # at each grade for a particular course.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Xifeng wrote:

...I definitely had to create my own spreadsheet because the linked one confused me. Math. :oops:

A1: Your "GPA" aka the average of your two scores
A2: 177 (our median)
A3: 180 (using one of the rough data points Emma gave; I tried them all and they're roughly the same)
A4: 10 (meaning a 180 is the top 10%; if you had put 179 in A3, then put 20 in A4)
A5: Your rank as a percentile. (So if you had put "177" in A1 you would get "50" in A5)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”