UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TaipeiMort

Re: UChi 2Ls (& 1L Future Academia Study Group) Taking Questions

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Flash wrote:What's the best sandwich at Medici's?

The Bleu Burger.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:23 pm

anyone here have inside info on the admissions committee?

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:41 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:anyone here have inside info on the admissions committee?

Lol

:cry:

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:33 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:

The Bleu Burger.

Not a sandwich.

luxxe wrote:

Lol

Sorry guys. One thing to remember about Chicago though is that it seems that every admissions cycle is different.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Haymarket wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:

The Bleu Burger.

Not a sandwich.

luxxe wrote:

Lol

Sorry guys. One thing to remember about Chicago though is that it seems that every admissions cycle is different.

can we start a petition for luxxe and I if not?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:23 am

Awesome people. Not cynical/evil like people some stereotype adcomms to be. They actually read apps and take people they think will add to the class, not just #s. I guess you can call it "holistic," but I don't really know what that means. My class is filled with nice, smart people who are fun to hang out with and seem more accomplished than me.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:31 am

TaipeiMort wrote:

Awesome people. Not cynical/evil like people some stereotype adcomms to be. They actually read apps and take people they think will add to the class, not just #s. I guess you can call it "holistic," but I don't really know what that means. My class is filled with nice, smart people who are fun to hang out with and seem more accomplished than me.

well that's no good :P
but seriously, I hate that my app couldn't make the fact that I love UChicago more clear, since it's generally not considered TCR to write a why Chicago.

skers

Postby skers » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Is there some kind of general public transit pass or is it just for buses around Hyde Park still?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:01 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Is there some kind of general public transit pass or is it just for buses around Hyde Park still?

Buses around Hyde Park (the 170/171/172) are free with your ID card, but other CTA transportation you have to buy a pass for. You can either get an unlimited monthly one ($86) or get a reloadable card and pay per trip. I have the latter because I definitely don't use $86 worth of public transit per month, but if you're commuting from downtown for class, you might want the unlimited.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Any 2Ls around? When did y'all get fall quarter grades last year?

Haymarket wrote:

The Reuben, light on the sauerkraut. Yes I understand how late this is. Consider it a bump.

Heavy on the sauerkraut, you bastard.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:58 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Any 2Ls around? When did y'all get fall quarter grades last year?

Ours came the Friday and Monday after MLK Day, which was a few days after the "grades are due" date.

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:11 am

California Babe wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Any 2Ls around? When did y'all get fall quarter grades last year?

Ours came the Friday and Monday after MLK Day, which was a few days after the "grades are due" date.

Yeesh

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:13 am

too sooooon

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:16 am

California Babe wrote:

Is that because of a desire for uniformity for the 1Ls? Will 2L/3L grades just roll in whenever?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:
California Babe wrote:

Is that because of a desire for uniformity for the 1Ls? Will 2L/3L grades just roll in whenever?

Sort of. They release the grades whenever a professor turns them in, but with 1L classes both professors for a given class have to turn the grades in to make sure the curves are fairly equal. So Civ Pro will roll out whenever both professors have turned the grades in, independently of when Elements comes out.

With electives last summer, some of the grades came out quite a bit before the due date, but others came out after all the other 1L grades, so "roll in whenever" is probably a pretty accurate estimate (electives are just 2/3L classes that 1Ls can take in the spring). The only difference is that with 2/3L classes they don't have to equalize the curves between two classes like they do in 1L.

skers

Postby skers » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:17 pm

Whats the consensus on ASW? Worth attending? Ton of free booze?

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:16 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Whats the consensus on ASW? Worth attending? Ton of free booze?

Yes and yes.

Champion

Postby Champion » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:55 pm

What's the best option for school housing if I want something as close as possible to the school. I would have loved the New Graduate Residence Hall but since that's gonna be in renovation next there goes that option.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Champion wrote:What's the best option for school housing if I want something as close as possible to the school. I would have loved the New Graduate Residence Hall but since that's gonna be in renovation next there goes that option.

Well, it's going to depend on what you value. With the position of the Law School, you have to go south to be "close" to the law school, which is not the best area. The nicer areas of HP tend to be toward the lake. I don't know if you just want to be physically close to the rigorous atmosphere of the law school or what, but there are bus lines that take you to areas in HP that are north/east that have a lot of apartments and are in a safer area (in my opinion). Also, closer to transportation to get you out of HP.

kenstokes29

Postby kenstokes29 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Champion wrote:What's the best option for school housing if I want something as close as possible to the school. I would have loved the New Graduate Residence Hall but since that's gonna be in renovation next there goes that option.

Agree with Xifeng, you really want to live north/northeast. "Close" is a pretty relative term (most of us live within a 15-minute bus ride or a 25-minute walk, which in Chicago is close), and if you want to be within a quick walk to the law school your best option would be South, where you do not want to live, be, go, etc. What you probably want, more so than being within a quick walk, is to be off one of the bus routes that goes to the law school and that students ride for free, the 170, 171, and 172 (the latter two being the relevant ones for this discussion). I live at regents which is about a 15 minute ride on the 172 and is the farthest either of the buses goes, so anywhere along the routes (available at transitchicago.com) is going to be fine. You might also look for somewhere also close to a 6 or 2 stop, since those will get you downtown.

As far as "school" housing, I confess to knowing nothing about residency managed by the university, but I hope this was somewhat helpful with regards to location. Honestly, you'll live off public transportation most of the time, so it's worth living near the right stops.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm

So how exactly will we know when grades are posted?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:17 pm

duckmoney wrote:So how exactly will we know when grades are posted?

According to someone who went to that academic counselors grade thing this past week, Dean Gardner says she'll send out an email when grades are posted.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
duckmoney wrote:So how exactly will we know when grades are posted?

According to someone who went to that academic counselors grade thing this past week, Dean Gardner says she'll send out an email when grades are posted.

And they'll just appear under the "Grades for Autumn 2011" link on cMore, and shortly after that under your academic history.

Lisi

Postby Lisi » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:26 pm

I live near the law school, and I LOVE it. Yeah, I'm further way from stuff on the other side of the midway (aka, civilization), but nothing beats being a 5-10min walk from school when you have 8:30 classes / an hour at lunch / the desire to stay at school until after the buses stop running. Life is just so much more flexible when you live close - especially since you can't control your schedule as a 1L. There are a bunch of students that live in New Grad. I've never been in there, so I can't really comment on it. There are also a bunch of students that live behind the law school (say, around 61st and Woodlawn) in apartments. I think you'd want to stay east of Ellis and north of 62nd, but other than that, I honestly don't feel like it's any more dangerous over here. Then again, I'm not out around here at night because there's not much to do over here. When I go out, or go run errands, I use my car. If you don't have a car, you might look into getting a zip car membership, as there are two lots right near the law school with zip cars. I wouldn't worry too much about housing, since there's plenty of it in Hyde Park - you definitely don't need to jump at the first option.

noBass

Postby noBass » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 pm

How is the 1L attrition as Chicago? I know it says 1% from a few sources, but I was curious if you as a student saw others "flunk" out or if people left due to finances or personal reasons?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”