UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
descartesb4thehorse

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:21 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
trudat15 wrote:For those of you who came from out of state and brought your cars - did you have to change your license plate and DL to Illinois?

You technically "have to" within 90 days, but most people (myself included) don't. I talked with a lady at the City Clerk's office and it sounded like commonplace, especially with students, to not get them changed. You can get a city sticker/residential permit without IL plates/license. However, I've never heard of an out-of-state person getting a ticket for not having a city sticker. Although it might be prevalent if you leave your car in the same place for extended periods...?

You do have to get the city sticker within a certain amount of time of coming to the city, or waiting until their annual rechanging, I think that's in July? That they do police and the sticker will go from $50 to $130 if you don't do it in the window.

If you have a "permanent address" out of state, I'm not sure what the major harm is in keeping your license and plates the same at that address. I guess for insurance purposes, it would be better to have everything set up in Illinois.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:14 pm

soupisgood wrote:Does the bookstore ever have sales on apparel? I was planning on buying some hoodies but I'd forgotten how rather overpriced school apparel can be.

Yeah they're a bit much. I think I'm going to wait and see how much they are at the law school? Whenever that day is that they're selling things for PI students?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Dany wrote:
soupisgood wrote:Does the bookstore ever have sales on apparel? I was planning on buying some hoodies but I'd forgotten how rather overpriced school apparel can be.

Yeah they're a bit much. I think I'm going to wait and see how much they are at the law school? Whenever that day is that they're selling things for PI students?

Same. I want a cool UChi hoodie but I'mma wait for the PI sale so I can see if they're cheaper and support Chicago's three PI students.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:37 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
trudat15 wrote:For those of you who came from out of state and brought your cars - did you have to change your license plate and DL to Illinois?

You technically "have to" within 90 days, but most people (myself included) don't. I talked with a lady at the City Clerk's office and it sounded like commonplace, especially with students, to not get them changed. You can get a city sticker/residential permit without IL plates/license. However, I've never heard of an out-of-state person getting a ticket for not having a city sticker. Although it might be prevalent if you leave your car in the same place for extended periods...?

You do have to get the city sticker within a certain amount of time of coming to the city, or waiting until their annual rechanging, I think that's in July? That they do police and the sticker will go from $50 to $130 if you don't do it in the window.

If you have a "permanent address" out of state, I'm not sure what the major harm is in keeping your license and plates the same at that address. I guess for insurance purposes, it would be better to have everything set up in Illinois.

Thanks for the answers! I'm going to try and keep my tags and license as well (got the insurance with no problems).

For the city sticker - i have garage parking at my apartment. Do I need this city sticker? And do I need anything in particular to get one in person (ie registration card, proof of insurance, etc).

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Dany wrote:

Same. I want a cool UChi hoodie but I'mma wait for the PI sale so I can see if they're cheaper and support Chicago's three PI students.

+1

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Dany wrote:

+1

I think the hoodies from the Chicago Law Foundation were $40-50 last year.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Yikes nevermind then. Don't they know I'm [almost] a poor law student?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Dany wrote:Yikes nevermind then. Don't they know I'm [almost] a poor law student?

:D They're definitely overpriced but we justify it by the warm feeling you get helping all those dirty, dirty hippies public interest kids pay rent.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:06 pm

trudat15 wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

Thanks for the answers! I'm going to try and keep my tags and license as well (got the insurance with no problems).

For the city sticker - i have garage parking at my apartment. Do I need this city sticker? And do I need anything in particular to get one in person (ie registration card, proof of insurance, etc).

Not unless you park in the street (Chicago requires you to have a city sticker inside garage parking, but they can't enforce it obviously). Again, I haven't heard of out-of-state plates getting busted for not having a city sticker. I'm guessing the tourism industry would dip if they busted every single out-of-state plate parking in Chicago without a city sticker. It should be noted however that getting busted for not having the sticker is more expensive than the sticker itself.

I only needed to bring my license in for the sticker. If you happen to need a residential permit (unlikely if you're using garage parking), you need your lease as well.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:07 pm

California Babe wrote:
Dany wrote:Yikes nevermind then. Don't they know I'm [almost] a poor law student?

:D They're definitely overpriced but we justify it by the warm feeling you get helping all those dirty, dirty hippies public interest kids pay rent.

Honestly, if you guys have some sweet University of Chicago designs, please send them to CLF. I wasn't a fan of the designs of last year.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:26 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Not unless you park in the street (Chicago requires you to have a city sticker inside garage parking, but they can't enforce it obviously). Again, I haven't heard of out-of-state plates getting busted for not having a city sticker. I'm guessing the tourism industry would dip if they busted every single out-of-state plate parking in Chicago without a city sticker. It should be noted however that getting busted for not having the sticker is more expensive than the sticker itself.

I only needed to bring my license in for the sticker. If you happen to need a residential permit (unlikely if you're using garage parking), you need your lease as well.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll make my way to the city clerk office tomorrow.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:51 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Honestly, if you guys have some sweet University of Chicago designs, please send them to CLF. I wasn't a fan of the designs of last year.

This.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Sooooo.. 3 classes or 4? :o

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:35 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Sooooo.. 3 classes or 4? :o

I'm doing 10 credits this quarter, but only because I have a ton going on. If I could I'd frontload all my work into this year and coast through 3L with only 9 credits per quarter.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:21 am

Emma. wrote:

I'm doing 10 credits this quarter, but only because I have a ton going on. If I could I'd frontload all my work into this year and coast through 3L with only 9 credits per quarter.

I'm glad to see you all are still alive post OCI.

thedude221

Postby thedude221 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:18 am

What are the options for monthly parking in the area? I'm on the waitlist already and Ive checked craigslist, is there anything Im missing?

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Dont know if this has been asked before, but any good tailors in the area?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:12 am

Sentry wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Barely. You think OCI is hard work until you get in the callback grind.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Emma. wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Barely. You think OCI is hard work until you get in the callback grind.

We should all be so lucky as to have this problem. :wink:

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Should we (1Ls who just got our sections) buy our books online now or is there a better place / way to buy them?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:33 pm

duckmoney wrote:Should we (1Ls who just got our sections) buy our books online now or is there a better place / way to buy them?

Lawannounce. Or PM me. Mine are all in pretty good condition.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Emma. wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Should we (1Ls who just got our sections) buy our books online now or is there a better place / way to buy them?

On that note, is buying old editions of casebooks (e.g. 6th instead of 7th) a bad idea?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:13 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Emma. wrote:

On that note, is buying old editions of casebooks (e.g. 6th instead of 7th) a bad idea?

Depends on the book, I think, and how much it has changed. Could be a minor inconvenience, could be a pain in the ass.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:26 pm

duckmoney wrote:

Worked out really well for some people last year who wanted to save cash. All of the casebooks will be available in the library so just take your older edition and syllabus in and compare. Just don't buy really old versions of CivPro books/study aids because the rules change.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”