UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Emma.

Gold

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Post by Emma. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 am

soupisgood wrote:Hope all you guys are inundated with CB's, offers, and good news :)

Quick question about snow gear... just how heavy duty do our snow boots need to be? Obviously they should be waterproof, but should I look for something extremely warm (read: massive amounts of faux fur) inside?
A lot of people got by just fine with Hunter boots or similar.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:40 am

Congrats on surviving day 1 Emma.

FloridaGirl

Silver

Post by FloridaGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:30 am

Anybody know anything about University House apartments on Woodlawn?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:06 am

FloridaGirl wrote:Anybody know anything about University House apartments on Woodlawn?
I visited. They seemed pretty nice, and definitely a better deal than Regents, although they're upsettingly close to the bad side of town. If I was a girl, I wouldn't want to walk alone from the law school to there at night.

It is REALLY convenient to the law school though.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:35 am

Sentry wrote:Congrats on surviving day 1 Emma.
?

Do you mean OCI? It starts today, so I haven't survived yet!

I only have one interview today though. OCI isn't going to be that bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:44 pm

duckmoney wrote:
FloridaGirl wrote:Anybody know anything about University House apartments on Woodlawn?
I visited. They seemed pretty nice, and definitely a better deal than Regents, although they're upsettingly close to the bad side of town. If I was a girl, I wouldn't want to walk alone from the law school to there at night.

My best friend lived there for a couple of years. Basically, it's like a block away from the law school. To say that you wouldn't want to walk there from the law school at night is like saying you wouldn't walk out of the law building at all by yourself. Not saying it's all peaches and cream on 61/woodlawn, but since you start off at 60/woodlawn, it's a lot easier to go the one block than the mile+ to Regents.

U. House apartments are fine, sort of old compared to regents, and the gym is awkwardly in the middle of the foyer so anyone walking by can watch you doing your thing. There are usually some independtly-owned condos in the area that open throughout the year, probably a bit nicer than UHouse. The reason my friend did it is because they were the only people that accepted a dog.

FloridaGirl

Silver

Post by FloridaGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:47 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
duckmoney wrote:

My best friend lived there for a couple of years. Basically, it's like a block away from the law school. To say that you wouldn't want to walk there from the law school at night is like saying you wouldn't walk out of the law building at all by yourself. Not saying it's all peaches and cream on 61/woodlawn, but since you start off at 60/woodlawn, it's a lot easier to go the one block than the mile+ to Regents.

U. House apartments are fine, sort of old compared to regents, and the gym is awkwardly in the middle of the foyer so anyone walking by can watch you doing your thing. There are usually some independtly-owned condos in the area that open throughout the year, probably a bit nicer than UHouse. The reason my friend did it is because they were the only people that accepted a dog.
Thanks guys!

FloridaGirl

Silver

Post by FloridaGirl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:38 pm

I found this apartment that I really like - http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/listing.php?id=219033 - but is 54th and Drexel Ave. too close to Washington Park? Also is the person subletting telling me the absolute truth when she says street parking isn't bad there?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:26 pm

FloridaGirl wrote:I found this apartment that I really like - http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/listing.php?id=219033 - but is 54th and Drexel Ave. too close to Washington Park? Also is the person subletting telling me the absolute truth when she says street parking isn't bad there?
54th and Drexel should be fine, it's definitely Hyde Park. It's close to bad parts, but not in them. West of Cottage Grove is when it starts getting iffy.

As for street parking - only way to judge is to come by and various times and take a look yourself. Personally I wouldn't rely on street parking (unless it's decal, which I don't think that is) if you're planning to use the car often, but if you just use it to get groceries once a week, you'll manage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:57 pm

duckmoney wrote:
FloridaGirl wrote:I found this apartment that I really like - http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/listing.php?id=219033 - but is 54th and Drexel Ave. too close to Washington Park? Also is the person subletting telling me the absolute truth when she says street parking isn't bad there?
54th and Drexel should be fine, it's definitely Hyde Park. It's close to bad parts, but not in them. West of Cottage Grove is when it starts getting iffy.

As for street parking - only way to judge is to come by and various times and take a look yourself. Personally I wouldn't rely on street parking (unless it's decal, which I don't think that is) if you're planning to use the car often, but if you just use it to get groceries once a week, you'll manage.
For any lurkers, the bolded is empirically false. I can't promise I know much about the law school other than the friendliness of the law library staff, but if anyone has specific questions regarding housing in Hyde Park, feel free to PM me. I'm a longtime vet of the area and may have more insight than most current law students. (Not to derail the thread or try to talk bad about the 2Ls helping you out in here, but I think misinformation given while trying to be helpful can still end up affecting someone negatively.)

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:26 am

duckmoney wrote:

OP do you want the PC answer or the true answer?

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:41 am

I WANT THE TRUTH

FloridaGirl

Silver

Post by FloridaGirl » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:43 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to keep bothering you as I look at places especially since I don't think I'll be able to go look in person. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:54 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
duckmoney wrote:

OP do you want the PC answer or the true answer?
Whoa, I'm curious to know what you think the difference is between the PC answer and the truth.

FloridaGirl: There are plenty of good resources to check out neighborhoods if you are concerned about crime. That block of Drexel is definitely one of the worst areas within the campus police patrol zone. That doesn't mean you can't live there safely, but it would mean being a little more careful than you would need to be in other parts of Hyde Park. http://www.trulia.com/crime/#!cook-il/1 ... Boulevard/

FloridaGirl

Silver

Post by FloridaGirl » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Emma. wrote:
FloridaGirl: There are plenty of good resources to check out neighborhoods if you are concerned about crime. That block of Drexel is definitely one of the worst areas within the campus police patrol zone. That doesn't mean you can't live there safely, but it would mean being a little more careful than you would need to be in other parts of Hyde Park. http://www.trulia.com/crime/#!cook-il/1 ... Boulevard/

Emma, thank you so much. The crime map is a great resource.

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:18 am

For what it is worth, I spent my 1L at 54th and Drexel. Not in a MAC apartment, and not in a newly renovated apartment, so it was crappier than what you are looking at. Street parking was definitely doable but the feel of the neighborhood is way different than the east side of town. It was dark. It was cold. It was a neighborhood where students happened to live, rather than a student neighborhood.

It wasn't terrifying, but it is close to nothing. (Other than Ratner.) You can walk to campus (you will have to walk - the buses will pass you as they will be full already) but the sidewalks aren't consistently salted so you will fall if you walk to school...

Mostly I was bummed cuz I was supposed to be in a nice apartment, not a crappy one. But I am so happy living on the east side now.

Not saying don't do it. Just saying, there's a reason it is cheaper.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:08 pm

When does loan money get disbursed for winter quarter?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 am

Bildungsroman wrote:When does loan money get disbursed for winter quarter?
If I remember correctly, late December. Right before the start of classes.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:27 pm

For those of you who came from out of state and brought your cars - did you have to change your license plate and DL to Illinois?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:36 pm

trudat15 wrote:For those of you who came from out of state and brought your cars - did you have to change your license plate and DL to Illinois?
I didn't. You can still get a city sticker for Chicago with OOS plates. Haven't had any trouble so far. I think there is a formal exception to the rule about changing your license and registration for people coming to the state temporarily for school. Don't quote me on that though.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:39 pm

trudat15 wrote:For those of you who came from out of state and brought your cars - did you have to change your license plate and DL to Illinois?
I just didn't, and I didn't buy the sticker either, and no one has said anything. I'm not going to unless they make me. I'm going to stay registered to vote in a swing state, so I may as well keep my plates there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:19 pm

You technically "have to" within 90 days, but most people (myself included) don't. I talked with a lady at the City Clerk's office and it sounded like commonplace, especially with students, to not get them changed. You can get a city sticker/residential permit without IL plates/license. However, I've never heard of an out-of-state person getting a ticket for not having a city sticker. Although it might be prevalent if you leave your car in the same place for extended periods...?

soupisgood

Bronze

Post by soupisgood » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:12 am

Does the bookstore ever have sales on apparel? I was planning on buying some hoodies but I'd forgotten how rather overpriced school apparel can be.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:21 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
You technically "have to" within 90 days, but most people (myself included) don't. I talked with a lady at the City Clerk's office and it sounded like commonplace, especially with students, to not get them changed. You can get a city sticker/residential permit without IL plates/license. However, I've never heard of an out-of-state person getting a ticket for not having a city sticker. Although it might be prevalent if you leave your car in the same place for extended periods...?
You do have to get the city sticker within a certain amount of time of coming to the city, or waiting until their annual rechanging, I think that's in July? That they do police and the sticker will go from $50 to $130 if you don't do it in the window.

If you have a "permanent address" out of state, I'm not sure what the major harm is in keeping your license and plates the same at that address. I guess for insurance purposes, it would be better to have everything set up in Illinois.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:14 pm

soupisgood wrote:Does the bookstore ever have sales on apparel? I was planning on buying some hoodies but I'd forgotten how rather overpriced school apparel can be.
Yeah they're a bit much. I think I'm going to wait and see how much they are at the law school? Whenever that day is that they're selling things for PI students?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”