UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
duckmoney

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby duckmoney » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:47 am

soupisgood wrote:I remember reading a Yelp review of Regents in which someone said that because the $75 fee is/was not in the leasing contract, people could technically not pay it, and that the fee was "optional."

Then again, I am such an online shopping fiend (seriously, it's amazing how much stuff can be delivered via Amazon Prime) that I don't even mind the $75 fee... though I do wish the package lady wasn't a stickler about the bigger items.

I doubt this is true for 2 reasons:

1) The valet (which receives packages) is owned separately from Regents
2) They make you sign a form acknowledging the fee before you can move in

However, if anyone can verify that it is in fact "optional", please let us know and give a statute / ordinance / something we cite so we don't have to put up with that BS

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:57 pm

I have not paid the $75 fee, and I put my amazon prime account to good use. I put up a good fight about it, even though I had signed the sheet. She doesn't hassle you about it if you are a "good" dry cleaning/alterations client. I try to drop off dry cleaning whenever I know I am going to get packages, and I have her hem all my pants, which keeps her happy. That being said, she is already prepared for the newbies arrival, and has announcements about it all over the room.

My friends got around it last year by having one person pay (and everyone chipping in) and then shipping everything to that person. At least do this, especially for roommates.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Wait... valet = dry cleaning lady = package room lady?

Out of curiosity, how reasonable are the dry cleaning costs there?

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Any idea what's going on friday afternoon for orientation? The website just says to keep it tentatively open. Or what you guys did last year?
Trying to figure out a flight for that weekend (for a wedding).

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:01 pm

trudat15 wrote:Any idea what's going on friday afternoon for orientation? The website just says to keep it tentatively open. Or what you guys did last year?
Trying to figure out a flight for that weekend (for a wedding).

It's changing this year supposedly. That's probably a good thing...

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:43 pm

So for Thanksgiving break, did people tend to leave on the Tuesday before? If so, when were classes usually over (if you remember)?

(trying to look at tickets!)

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:26 pm

All the days you will have off are listed: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/students/academiccalendar

Expect to have class until 4 in the afternoon as a worst case scenario. My Tu/Fri latest class was done at 3:10... my MWTH latest ended at 3:50. <outs self even further>

I don't think any class ever extends past 4. Just my guess.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Xifeng wrote:So for Thanksgiving break, did people tend to leave on the Tuesday before? If so, when were classes usually over (if you remember)?

(trying to look at tickets!)

I didn't leave for the break, but IIRC among people that left it was about half and half Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, based on lawannounce emails from people looking to share cab rides to the airport.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 pm

Do Regents residents usually sublet their places for the summer if they get a non-Chicago gig?

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:39 pm

So where's the place to get a men's haircut in Hyde Park?

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Ghost wrote:
duckmoney wrote:So where's the place to get a men's haircut in Hyde Park?

This is relevant to my interests.

+1

I also forget how much haircuts cost in Normal America after spending time in NYC.

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:58 pm

https://studentactivities.uchicago.edu/ ... shop.shtml

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rossillo-anthon ... r-new-york

$14 haircuts at both places (one in NYC, one in Chi). Will be making use of both their services for OCI season.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:50 pm

jitsrenzo wrote:https://studentactivities.uchicago.edu/services/barbershop.shtml

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rossillo-anthon ... r-new-york

$14 haircuts at both places (one in NYC, one in Chi). Will be making use of both their services for OCI season.

$14 for a haircut? Damn I miss the south.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:04 am

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:09 am

Ghost wrote:Is Elements of the Law ungraded or is that a first quarter exam? How do they test it if so?

Lulz. Nothing is ungraded.

This year elements is being taught by 2 different professors from last year, so we won't be able to give you any specifics about what to expect. I hear this year it is Professors Stone and McAdams, who are both awesome (I had McAdams for Crim). Last year one section had an 8 hour takehome and the other section had a regular 3 hour in-class. For my section at least it was definitely different from a typical issue spotter, and more about trying to incorporate many different elements (no pun intended) of all the different theoretical stuff we had covered over the quarter into a couple of short essays.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:13 am

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:16 am

Ghost wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Ghost wrote:Is Elements of the Law ungraded or is that a first quarter exam? How do they test it if so?

Lulz. Nothing is ungraded.

This year elements is being taught by 2 different professors from last year, so we won't be able to give you any specifics about what to expect. I hear this year it is Professors Stone and McAdams, who are both awesome (I had McAdams for Crim). Last year one section had an 8 hour takehome and the other section had a regular 3 hour in-class. For my section at least it was definitely different from a typical issue spotter, and more about trying to incorporate many different elements (no pun intended) of all the different theoretical stuff we had covered over the quarter into a couple of short essays.

Let me backtrack, wth do we learn in EoL?

No one knows, since it is new profs.

My class last year was a mix of the development of the common law, law and economics, statutory interpretation, public choice theory, with some Rawls/Nozick/Nussbaum thrown in there too. It was hectic.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:02 am

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:20 am

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:35 pm

I had McAdams for Crim and I heard from a 3L that he is not a fan of grading exams and tends to have shorter essay questions. Our Crim exam was half multiple choice, half take home essays that were extremely word limited. I would imagine his Elements class will be the same. Also, I am way jealous of any 1L that gets McAdams for Elements... he is a very entertaining lecturer and you will probably get some fun reading material.

alphamoose wrote:Do people usually stay in town the autumn break? (October 24th and 25th) Will I miss anything if I plan to leave?

Our first LRW assignment was due on Monday morning of the autumn break, so I guess keep that in mind. A couple of my friends went out of town last year for the weekend.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:42 am

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:11 pm

What's the best way to get from O'Hare to Regents? I think my return flight on Thanksgiving might land in ORD instead of MDW...

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:19 pm

soupisgood wrote:What's the best way to get from O'Hare to Regents? I think my return flight on Thanksgiving might land in ORD instead of MDW...

You can ride the blue line into the city and then either catch the 6 or ride the Metra. There's also an airport shuttle service that comes down to Hyde Park now. I can't remember the name. Taxis are pretty expensive, but you can also hit people up on lawannounce and see if anyone wants to share a ride. There will probably be a lot of people getting back to town around the same time you are.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:53 pm

The airport shuttle is called Go Airport Express. It costs around $30-35. I like them, the vans are clean and they pick you up on time. When you take the shuttle to the airport, sometimes you have to switch shuttles downtown, but I've never had to do that on the way back from O'hare to Hyde Park.

Also, riding the blue line train into the city from O'hare takes freaking forever.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”