UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JollyGreenGiant

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:10 am

I'm guessing more calls are going out today to make up for dual acceptance people. Best of luck everyone. I'm semi-excited to see the new mastheads.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I'm guessing more calls are going out today to make up for dual acceptance people. Best of luck everyone. I'm semi-excited to see the new mastheads.

Will they send the new mastheads out or anything?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:34 pm

They did last year. Probably today or tomorrow, I'd guess that they'd send them. They sent them to everyone who participated in writing competition.

Lisi

Postby Lisi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm going to be living on kimbark between 60th and 61st. Does this fall in the area of well-guarded campus security? The building opens onto a parking lot. I had limited options due to a number of factors. Is safety going to be a real concern?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Lisi wrote:I'm going to be living on kimbark between 60th and 61st. Does this fall in the area of well-guarded campus security? The building opens onto a parking lot. I had limited options due to a number of factors. Is safety going to be a real concern?

You'll be fine. It isn't my preferred neighborhood but really close to school and should be perfectly safe. Don't stray too far south of your house though.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:57 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I'm guessing more calls are going out today to make up for dual acceptance people. Best of luck everyone. I'm semi-excited to see the new mastheads.

[redacted]

Any word on a journal, Cali Babe?
Last edited by Emma. on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenstokes29

Postby kenstokes29 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:02 pm

What is the best local option for Chinese food?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:53 pm

kenstokes29 wrote:What is the best local option for Chinese food?

Local as in Hyde Park? Uh, I don't know if there is any good option. Local as in Chicago? Probably somewhere in Chinatown.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:03 pm

kenstokes29 wrote:What is the best local option for Chinese food?

If you don't want to head to Chinatown (best option) go to Grubhub and look at "DeRice." They do a pretty good job and are right in Kenwood.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:08 pm

I am definitely exploring Chinatown before school starts...definitely need to find out where to find good Chinese food!

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm trying to create a bidlist now, but as a transfer I feel like I'm missing some instructions. How many bids do we have? do you just rank-order your list or can you load bids onto a particular firm?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:05 pm

50 and rank order. 1 is highest.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:11 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:50 and rank order. 1 is highest.

Thanks so much.

Lisi

Postby Lisi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Emma. wrote:
Lisi wrote:I'm going to be living on kimbark between 60th and 61st. Does this fall in the area of well-guarded campus security? The building opens onto a parking lot. I had limited options due to a number of factors. Is safety going to be a real concern?

You'll be fine. It isn't my preferred neighborhood but really close to school and should be perfectly safe. Don't stray too far south of your house though.

Thanks! I've never actually been south of the law school (and I guess I won't be going further south than my apartment!). I was an undergrad at U of C, so I was curious whether the neighborhood had gotten any safer (since it's been quite a while since I graduated), but it doesn't seem to have measurably improved.

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Anyone have any idea how big the class of 2013 will be this year? Last I heard the school was going to take fewer transfers to make up for the large 1L class, but it seems like the school took a normal amount.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Whatisthis wrote:Anyone have any idea how big the class of 2013 will be this year? Last I heard the school was going to take fewer transfers to make up for the large 1L class, but it seems like the school took a normal amount.

I dont know what the normal amount is, but when I visited and spoke with Dean Perry, she said there would only be 15-18 of us.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm trying to decide between living there and finding a place in South Loop now. I'm still deciding whether I am bringing my car, but google maps says that South Loop to the school is only 8 minutes more than Regents to the LS which seems incorrect. Also, what about public transit? What is the actual bus ride time from Regents to the Law School? I've heard 15 minutes.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:I'm trying to decide between living there and finding a place in South Loop now. I'm still deciding whether I am bringing my car, but google maps says that South Loop to the school is only 8 minutes more than Regents to the LS which seems incorrect. Also, what about public transit? What is the actual bus ride time from Regents to the Law School? I've heard 15 minutes.

If your concern is convenience, I highly recommend Regents. I loved it there, but there truly is nothing to do in Hyde Park, IMO.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:I'm trying to decide between living there and finding a place in South Loop now. I'm still deciding whether I am bringing my car, but google maps says that South Loop to the school is only 8 minutes more than Regents to the LS which seems incorrect. Also, what about public transit? What is the actual bus ride time from Regents to the Law School? I've heard 15 minutes.

If your concern is convenience, I highly recommend Regents. I loved it there, but there truly is nothing to do in Hyde Park, IMO.

Bring your car, buy stuff in South Loop, live at Regents. It is more convenient than anywhere else because of its amenities and position at the beginning of the bus route.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Without traffic an extra 8 minutes is probably just about right. I can drive to the Law School from Lincoln Park in 25 minutes door to door. Getting there from my old apartment on 54th still took 10 minutes.

There are some other decent buildings in Hyde Park, don't feel like Regents is the only option. The apartments are fine and it is pretty convenient, but I was really happy not to be in such a huge building. Just my personal preference though.

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Congrats to the law review peeps!

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:42 am

jitsrenzo wrote:Congrats to the law review peeps!

None of those types would ever post on here... :D

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:08 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
jitsrenzo wrote:Congrats to the law review peeps!

None of those types would ever post on here... :D

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:09 am

I'm looking into Thanksgiving flights to/from home right now, but I was wondering... what do most UChi students do during the break? Do most people leave on Tuesday/Wednesday and come back on Sunday?

Also, exams will be from 12/7-13, I believe, but will the library be open during break? Do a lot of people use Thanksgiving break to get some extra studying done?

Sorry about all the questions :P

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”