UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:04 am

Emma. wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Thoughts on the Algonquin?


Nicer than Regents, IMO. The 1brms are awesome, with a really large kitchen. In the 2brms I guess they figure you want more of a living room but as a result the kitchen is kinda tight. I didn't live there (or Regents) but I definitely preferred living in a smaller building than the huge Regents towers.

I guess the downsides for Algonquin are the lack of central a/c and the huge flock of crows that lived on the trees outside the building all last year.

Maybe check out Del Prado too, that is a new building just coming on line. Personally, I would recommend looking outside Hyde Park as well. HP was great for 1L year, but hopefully as a 2L you are going to have a little less stress and will want more opportunities to enjoy the city.


As of right now, I'm thinking about living in HP just because my girlfriend already lives in River North. I want something very close to the school for during the week and then thurs-sun, live up in RN. I'm even giving consideration to the graduate housing on 60th street haha.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:06 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:Thoughts on the Algonquin?

Are you looking for a 1BR/2BR/studio? The studios are really, really small. Haven't seen a 1BR, but the 2BR was okay (though I liked other Hyde Park apartments better.) Finishes are gorgeous, nice kitchen, and right on the bus line to school. I've visited the Algonquin twice and am happy to share any other impressions if you have any questions.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:08 am

Dany wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Thoughts on the Algonquin?

Are you looking for a 1BR/2BR/studio? The studios are really, really small. Haven't seen a 1BR, but the 2BR was okay (though I liked other Hyde Park apartments better.) Finishes are gorgeous, nice kitchen, and right on the bus line to school. I've visited the Algonquin twice and am happy to share any other impressions if you have any questions.


Regents? Del Prado? Where did you decide to lease?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Dany wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Thoughts on the Algonquin?

Are you looking for a 1BR/2BR/studio? The studios are really, really small. Haven't seen a 1BR, but the 2BR was okay (though I liked other Hyde Park apartments better.) Finishes are gorgeous, nice kitchen, and right on the bus line to school. I've visited the Algonquin twice and am happy to share any other impressions if you have any questions.


Regents? Del Prado? Where did you decide to lease?


Given your situation I'd say rent the cheapest thing you can find. You are only going to be there half the week, and will be spending most of that time at school. Windemere House has pretty cheap and spacious studios.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:32 am

Emma. wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
A-Cow-Demia wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Any news on the release date of journal decisions?


I think LR plans to notify on July 25 (but possibly over the weekend), and the other journals will notify shortly thereafter. Good luck.


Man. I wish they would get these results out the door. It feels weird mass mailing without knowing these results.


Confident, huh?


No. I give it a 10% chance, but I just want to get my mass mails out the door.

User avatar
NakedPowerOrgan
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:18 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Any news on the release date of journal decisions?

I thought it was always July 22nd?


Assuming that today is not the day?

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:21 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Any news on the release date of journal decisions?

I thought it was always July 22nd?


Assuming that today is not the day?


July 25 was the day we were given for Law Review.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:52 pm

So people living at Regents.

1) They ask for my CC info on the application for an "application fee", but neglect to state anywhere the amount. Anyone know?
2) They told me they won't know if they have any studios/1 BRs until I apply. If they don't, do I get this application fee back?

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:So people living at Regents.

1) They ask for my CC info on the application for an "application fee", but neglect to state anywhere the amount. Anyone know?
2) They told me they won't know if they have any studios/1 BRs until I apply. If they don't, do I get this application fee back?

#1. I thought it was like $75, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd call and ask. It's a relatively nominal amount IIRC.
#2. Probably not. But I've heard of them giving people a 2BR at a 1BR price if they ran out.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:03 pm

I paid $50 to apply.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:34 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I've heard of them giving people a 2BR at a 1BR price if they ran out.


I have a friend who got this deal. Pretty sweet.

TransferRisk
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby TransferRisk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:55 am

Does the grading curve become easier or otherwise less "stringent" for 2L and 3L years? E.g. does median increase to 173 for 2L classes?

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:47 am

TransferRisk wrote:Does the grading curve become easier or otherwise less "stringent" for 2L and 3L years? E.g. does median increase to 173 for 2L classes?


For large classes, the median officially stays at 177. It's not clear that the median is always enforced as dutifully in classes after 1L, but it seems like the administration is trying to do a better job maintaining the median.

Seminar classes are graded to a median of 179, and classes with papers rather than exams have a lot more flexibility about how they grade. My understanding is even the 179 median for seminars is not enforced very strongly.

(This information is what I have heard/understood to be correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I think a few pages back in this thread where posters were talking about Law Review and Kirkland Scholar cut-offs, there was someone who had a pretty detailed post about the grading curve.)

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:38 pm

California Babe wrote:
TransferRisk wrote:Does the grading curve become easier or otherwise less "stringent" for 2L and 3L years? E.g. does median increase to 173 for 2L classes?


For large classes, the median officially stays at 177. It's not clear that the median is always enforced as dutifully in classes after 1L, but it seems like the administration is trying to do a better job maintaining the median.

Seminar classes are graded to a median of 179, and classes with papers rather than exams have a lot more flexibility about how they grade. My understanding is even the 179 median for seminars is not enforced very strongly.

(This information is what I have heard/understood to be correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I think a few pages back in this thread where posters were talking about Law Review and Kirkland Scholar cut-offs, there was someone who had a pretty detailed post about the grading curve.)


You are right that the median wasn't always dutifully enforced, but it is apparently going to be much more diligently enforced going forward.

Seminars with papers have a 179 median, and I guess the one exception is that professors with a class smaller than 10 can apply to grade to a higher median if they feel that a particular class is extra-talented. They won't get away with doing this for every class though. My understanding is that seminars with the choice of either a final exam or a paper are curved to a 178.

Because of the higher median in seminar classes, people's GPA tends to increase slightly from 1L year to graduation.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm strongly considering UChi but have a couple questions:

1) I grew up in San Diego, and have lived in Phoenix for the last five years. Has anyone gone through that sort of drastic weather change and lived to tell about it?

2) I read earlier in the thread that 1L generates 40 credits, so that leaves 65 for 2L and 3L to meet the degree requirements. What does this look like each quarter for upper division students? Something like 3 classes plus one seminar?

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I'm strongly considering UChi but have a couple questions:

1) I grew up in San Diego, and have lived in Phoenix for the last five years. Has anyone gone through that sort of drastic weather change and lived to tell about it?

2) I read earlier in the thread that 1L generates 40 credits, so that leaves 65 for 2L and 3L to meet the degree requirements. What does this look like each quarter for upper division students? Something like 3 classes plus one seminar?


I'm transferring in, so I can't answer #2. But re: #1, I'm coming from the heat of Georgia to Chicago. A transfer who did the same thing last year said that the winters are bearable.

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:40 am

California Babe wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Any news on the release date of journal decisions?

I thought it was always July 22nd?


Assuming that today is not the day?


July 25 was the day we were given for Law Review.


:?

marburger06
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby marburger06 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:16 am

California Babe wrote:
California Babe wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Assuming that today is not the day?


July 25 was the day we were given for Law Review.


:?


Calls already went out for LR over the weekend. Today is the day for initial calls for secondaries; might be more tomorrow.

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 am

marburger06 wrote:
California Babe wrote:
California Babe wrote:July 25 was the day we were given for Law Review.


:?


Calls already went out for LR over the weekend. Today is the day for initial calls for secondaries; might be more tomorrow.


:shock:

:?

User avatar
NakedPowerOrgan
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:22 am

marburger06 wrote:
California Babe wrote::?


Calls already went out for LR over the weekend. Today is the day for initial calls for secondaries; might be more tomorrow.


This is right, as far as I know. A masthead was e-mailed yesterday to the new LR members and I think that it, along with the secondary journal mastheads, will be sent out to all the students either tomorrow or the day after. Good luck all.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:58 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
marburger06 wrote:
California Babe wrote::?


Calls already went out for LR over the weekend. Today is the day for initial calls for secondaries; might be more tomorrow.


This is right, as far as I know. A masthead was e-mailed yesterday to the new LR members and I think that it, along with the secondary journal mastheads, will be sent out to all the students either tomorrow or the day after. Good luck all.


Has anyone heard from the secondary journals yet? Good luck (and congrats to those who have heard about LR).
Last edited by Emma. on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Good luck to all you guys with journal stuff!

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Emma. wrote:Has anyone heard from the secondary journals yet?


This question is relevant to my interests.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:55 pm

California Babe wrote:
Emma. wrote:Has anyone heard from the secondary journals yet?


This question is relevant to my interests.

+1.

tycho_brahe
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:16 am

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby tycho_brahe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:12 pm

just heard from legal forum. i was told that all journal calls would be out by 6 today, and that i'd have until 9 to accept an invitation.

edit: also got a call from CJIL around 3:30.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests