UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
trudat15

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Just trying to confirm a number: I heard first quarter finals are: 2 finals worth 15% of your total 1L grades. Those numbers right?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:40 pm

trudat15 wrote:Just trying to confirm a number: I heard first quarter finals are: 2 finals worth 15% of your total 1L grades. Those numbers right?

Yes. You end 1L with 40 credits, and the two finals you take in December are worth 3 credits each.

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:51 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
Emma. wrote:$210

At a loss for words why it didnt pass.

You'll understand once you have "law announce"

WEALTH TRANSFER OMGZ

<- wishes he had upass

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Thinking about transferring to UChi. How bad is the winter?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Thinking about transferring to UChi. How bad is the winter?

Where are you coming from?

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 pm

California Babe wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Thinking about transferring to UChi. How bad is the winter?

Where are you coming from?

The southeast.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:01 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:The southeast.

I'm in the southeast now and will be a 1L this fall so we can be miserable together in the winter.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Second question - Live in the south loop?

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:26 pm

I came from the Pacific Northwest and I actually found the winter here to not feel as cold as it does there (though there were a few ridiculously cold days that were colder than anything I had ever experienced). The winter temperatures are obviously much lower in Chicago, but it is very dry here in the winter, so the cold temps don't feel as cold. Coming from the South, it might be more of a shock, but again, the winter here looks worse on paper than it feels. And honestly, the summers seem to be far more uncomfortable (at least in university housing w/o AC). Though, I would probably die in the South.

As far as neighborhoods go, I would recommend living in Hyde Park. There is definitely more to do in the loop, but it can be a hassle/expensive commuting (especially if you stay late or have to make multiple trips in day). Rent is also much higher. If you really value any sort of a nightlife, it might be worth it.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:39 pm

Whatisthis wrote:I came from the Pacific Northwest and I actually found the winter here to not feel as cold as it does there (though there were a few ridiculously cold days that were colder than anything I had ever experienced). The winter temperatures are obviously much lower in Chicago, but it is very dry here in the winter, so the cold temps don't feel as cold. Coming from the South, it might be more of a shock, but again, the winter here looks worse on paper than it feels. And honestly, the summers seem to be far more uncomfortable (at least in university housing w/o AC). Though, I would probably die in the South.

As far as neighborhoods go, I would recommend living in Hyde Park. There is definitely more to do in the loop, but it can be a hassle/expensive commuting (especially if you stay late or have to make multiple trips in day). Rent is also much higher. If you really value any sort of a nightlife, it might be worth it.

I heard HP wasn't the safest place around? I would probably live there since I like to be near the LS, but my girlfriend lives in River North now and said HP was out of the question lol.

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:17 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Whatisthis wrote:I came from the Pacific Northwest and I actually found the winter here to not feel as cold as it does there (though there were a few ridiculously cold days that were colder than anything I had ever experienced). The winter temperatures are obviously much lower in Chicago, but it is very dry here in the winter, so the cold temps don't feel as cold. Coming from the South, it might be more of a shock, but again, the winter here looks worse on paper than it feels. And honestly, the summers seem to be far more uncomfortable (at least in university housing w/o AC). Though, I would probably die in the South.

I heard HP wasn't the safest place around? I would probably live there since I like to be near the LS, but my girlfriend lives in River North now and said HP was out of the question lol.

I am still relatively new to Chicago, but I have noticed that people in the north seem to have a severely distorted view of the south side in terms of its safety. HP is safe(ish). At least, it is almost certainly safer than many parts of the loop. HP is a relatively upscale neighborhood (I mean, it's been home to two presidents) and the university makes sure that there are police everywhere. To the south and west of HP it gets distressed pretty quickly, but even these areas are not as dangerous as some make them out to be (at least if you're not in a gang). I work south of Hyde Park and personally have never feared for my safety. Though when venturing outside of HP, it is always good to be aware of one's surroundings. Inside HP, it's as safe as most of the neighborhoods you'd find on the north side.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:23 am

Whatisthis wrote: Inside HP, it's as safe as most of the neighborhoods you'd find on the north side.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:50 am

Whatisthis wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

I am still relatively new to Chicago, but I have noticed that people in the north seem to have a severely distorted view of the south side in terms of its safety. HP is safe(ish). At least, it is almost certainly safer than many parts of the loop. HP is a relatively upscale neighborhood (I mean, it's been home to two presidents) and the university makes sure that there are police everywhere. To the south and west of HP it gets distressed pretty quickly, but even these areas are not as dangerous as some make them out to be (at least if you're not in a gang). I work south of Hyde Park and personally have never feared for my safety. Though when venturing outside of HP, it is always good to be aware of one's surroundings. Inside HP, it's as safe as most of the neighborhoods you'd find on the north side.

Hyde Park. Less dangerous than most think.

Kenwood, Inglewooodd, West Side, Gary. Much, much more dangerous than most believe. Hard drug prices are up. Gangs have been disbursed after the pjs were closed by Obama and other community organizers. There isn't drug or gang violence like in the 00s and 90s respectively. Now it is random, kill-you-for-your tracphone violence.

Sadly, the only good dollar stoe, taco bell, and white castle are right in the middle of the danger zone.

Hyde Park is safe.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:56 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
Hyde Park. Less dangerous than most think.

Kenwood, Inglewooodd, West Side, Gary. Much, much more dangerous than most believe. Hard drug prices are up.

I guess I'll need to request additional loans

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:46 am

Hey, as I mentioned in the other thread, if anyone has any questions about Hyde Park, or is still looking for a place to live, PM me, I might have something that would work for you.

NakedPowerOrgan

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Any news on the release date of journal decisions?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:46 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Any news on the release date of journal decisions?

I thought it was always July 22nd?

A-Cow-Demia

Postby A-Cow-Demia » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:10 pm

I think LR plans to notify on July 25 (but possibly over the weekend), and the other journals will notify shortly thereafter. Good luck.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Graduate housing (avoiding calling them dorms) near the law school. Can anyone shed some light on these places?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:53 pm

What was the latest people had classes autumn quarter? I'm trying to be super ahead and look at Thanksgiving flights :)

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:07 am

Xifeng wrote:What was the latest people had classes autumn quarter? I'm trying to be super ahead and look at Thanksgiving flights :)

You mean the latest in the afternoon that classes finished? I think everyone was done by 4, but I wouldn't count on the schedule being the same this year.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 am

A-Cow-Demia wrote:

I think LR plans to notify on July 25 (but possibly over the weekend), and the other journals will notify shortly thereafter. Good luck.

Man. I wish they would get these results out the door. It feels weird mass mailing without knowing these results.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:48 am

Thoughts on the Algonquin?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:02 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:Thoughts on the Algonquin?

Nicer than Regents, IMO. The 1brms are awesome, with a really large kitchen. In the 2brms I guess they figure you want more of a living room but as a result the kitchen is kinda tight. I didn't live there (or Regents) but I definitely preferred living in a smaller building than the huge Regents towers.

I guess the downsides for Algonquin are the lack of central a/c and the huge flock of crows that lived on the trees outside the building all last year.

Maybe check out Del Prado too, that is a new building just coming on line. Personally, I would recommend looking outside Hyde Park as well. HP was great for 1L year, but hopefully as a 2L you are going to have a little less stress and will want more opportunities to enjoy the city.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:02 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
A-Cow-Demia wrote:

Man. I wish they would get these results out the door. It feels weird mass mailing without knowing these results.

Confident, huh?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”