UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Emma.

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:15 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:K&E Scholar is after 1st year? I thought it was after all 3 years. Interesting.

Top 5% each year, so it ends up being about 10% of the class that gets it, according to the student handbook.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Peeblepop wrote:If I transfer in as a 2L, will you all be my friends or will most of you hate me?

We will love you unless you steal our jobs. :wink:

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:02 pm

California Babe wrote:
Peeblepop wrote:If I transfer in as a 2L, will you all be my friends or will most of you hate me?

I will try not to be a dick, but I'm not gonna lie, I feel weird about transfers.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Emma. wrote:
California Babe wrote:

I will try not to be a dick, but I'm not gonna lie, I feel weird about transfers.

I'm intrigued to see who transferred out. I know of 0 people but there will prolly be ~10 or so I'm guessing.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:10 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Emma. wrote:
California Babe wrote:

I'm intrigued to see who transferred out. I know of 0 people but there will prolly be ~10 or so I'm guessing.

For real? I know of one person who was thinking about it, but that is all. I wonder if it is tough to transfer since our grades come out so late.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Emma. wrote:
California Babe wrote:

I'll likely assume any face I don't recognize is a 3L, then get confused later when they come to class more than once a quarter.

A-Cow-Demia

Postby A-Cow-Demia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Emma. wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:K&E Scholar is after 1st year? I thought it was after all 3 years. Interesting.

Top 5% each year, so it ends up being about 10% of the class that gets it, according to the student handbook.

After the first year, top 5 percent are K&E Scholars. After second the year, top 5 percent are again K&E Scholars (so if there was no movement in the top 5 percent, no new soon-to-be 3L gets it). After the third year, enough new students are named K&E Scholars so that exactly 10 percent of the graduating class gets the award. But if no student who was in the top 5 percent after first or second year falls out of the top 10 percent at graduation—which has has been the case in recent years—K&E Scholars and order of the coif completely overlap. Pretty silly if you ask me.

A-Cow-Demia

Postby A-Cow-Demia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:37 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Emma. wrote:
California Babe wrote:

I heard of only one transfer last year. I think transferring makes sense only if a person misses LR but can get into HYS—a somewhat unlikely combination. (Unless there's a pressing need to be in a different city.)

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:41 pm

A-Cow-Demia wrote:
Emma. wrote:

After the first year, top 5 percent are K&E Scholars. After second the year, top 5 percent are again K&E Scholars (so if there was no movement in the top 5 percent, no new soon-to-be 3L gets it). After the third year, enough new students are named K&E Scholars so that exactly 10 percent of the graduating class gets the award. But if no student who was in the top 5 percent after first or second year falls out of the top 10 percent at graduation—which has has been the case in recent years—K&E Scholars and order of the coif completely overlap. Pretty silly if you ask me.

Is K&E a $$ award, or just something you can put on your resume?

A-Cow-Demia

Postby A-Cow-Demia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:47 pm

Emma. wrote:
A-Cow-Demia wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Is K&E a $$ award, or just something you can put on your resume?

Just a line on the resume. I'm sure it's useful for OCI and clerkship hiring, but it's superfluous after graduation.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:53 pm

A-Cow-Demia wrote:
Just a line on the resume. I'm sure it's useful for OCI and clerkship hiring, but it's superfluous after graduation.

For real. I can also imagine it is a little awkward applying to any other firm with K&E scholar on your resume.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Comparative finally came in and History is due out sometime this afternoon or tomorrow morning. 1L finally ending...

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:59 pm

California Babe wrote:Comparative finally came in and History is due out sometime this afternoon or tomorrow morning. 1L finally ending...

ALH is out for some people, so I guess everyone should be done today!

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:00 pm

What's the best/cheapest thing to do re: CTA/public transportation passes?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Dany wrote:What's the best/cheapest thing to do re: CTA/public transportation passes?

If you're living outside of Hyde Park and planning on using public transit everyday, I think there are monthly passes for unlimited CTA use for $86. Each trip otherwise is about $2 (pays for itself in 23 round trips, and I'm sure you'll use it more often than that). The Chicago Card Plus can be ordered online and linked to a credit card so it just charges you every month for the new pass so you never have to worry about reloading or paying your fee.

http://www.chicago-card.com/ccplus/firsttime.aspx

I don't know how much you know about transit here so here's the rundown in case you need it: There are 3 public transit options in Chicago: the buses, the L train, and the Metra. CTA runs both the buses and the L train so the Chicago Card Plus works for both of those. They take you all throughout the city.

The Metra is used primarily for people who live further outside of the Chicago borders in the suburbs and takes them to the city, but it can be used to travel from an outer neighborhoods to downtown as well. The Metra is not run by CTA and so the charges are separate (the passes don't work for it) and based on how far you are traveling it, rather than a flat rate per trip.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:11 pm

California Babe wrote:
Dany wrote:What's the best/cheapest thing to do re: CTA/public transportation passes?

If you're living outside of Hyde Park and planning on using public transit everyday, I think there are monthly passes for unlimited CTA use for $86. Each trip otherwise is about $2 (pays for itself in 23 round trips, and I'm sure you'll use it more often than that). The Chicago Card Plus can be ordered online and linked to a credit card so it just charges you every month for the new pass so you never have to worry about reloading or paying your fee.

http://www.chicago-card.com/ccplus/firsttime.aspx

The Chicago Card Plus is awesome. You can switch back and forth between monthly and per ride use really easily online, so if you are living in HP but then in the summer you need to go downtown every day, you can just set up your card to charge you monthly for a couple months and then go back to per ride for the school year.

You also might want to ride the Metra which has monthly passes or 10 ride punch passes which are a 20% discount.

Damn CB's stealth edit! Also, I'm still bitter about the UPass debacle.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Emma. wrote:You also might want to ride the Metra which has monthly passes or 10 ride punch passes which are a 20% discount.

I didn't know about this! I need to check that out.

Also, I'm still bitter about the UPass debacle.

Don't even get me started...

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:20 pm

I was firmly against it, then I decided to move away from Hyde Park and am now regretting voting against it, along with the people I convinced to vote against it.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:45 pm

So do you guys think that the $1,845 amount they allocate for transportation is high if we're living in Hyde Park since the unlimited card is $86/month? And the $1,755 amount for books, does that sound right-ish? (I'm trying to make a budget and it's super exciting x___x)

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:50 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I was firmly against it, then I decided to move away from Hyde Park and am now regretting voting against it, along with the people I convinced to vote against it.

:shock: :| :? :x :evil:

I think it was like 10 votes away from passing. I blame you.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Xifeng wrote:So do you guys think that the $1,845 amount they allocate for transportation is high if we're living in Hyde Park since the unlimited card is $86/month? And the $1,755 amount for books, does that sound right-ish? (I'm trying to make a budget and it's super exciting x___x)

I think that transport budget is supposed to include things like trips home during breaks, not your regular daily transport. If you live in HP getting to school is completely free, so your costs are just buses & trains to get downtown (and the occasional taxi home). Just make sure you share cabs when you are coming home from bars and I think you can probably get by on less than $20/wk on transport.

Books are expensive, but there are a lot of used books around. Even if you bought all your books new I think that $1755 figure would be really excessive. If you are prepared to buy all used books I'd imagine you can get through the year on about $500.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Emma. wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I was firmly against it, then I decided to move away from Hyde Park and am now regretting voting against it, along with the people I convinced to vote against it.

How much were they proposing to raise tuition for upass? I blame you too, taipeimort.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:01 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

How much were they proposing to raise tuition for upass? I blame you too, taipeimort.

$210

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Emma. wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

$210

At a loss for words why it didnt pass.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Emma. wrote:$210

At a loss for words why it didnt pass.

You'll understand once you have "law announce"

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”