UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cranberry

Re: UChi Rising 2Ls (!!) Taking Questions

Postby cranberry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Grades from my elective were posted Friday (or maybe earlier... Friday is when I checked).

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:08 am

cranberry wrote:Grades from my elective were posted Friday (or maybe earlier... Friday is when I checked).

Do want.

It might have let me know if I'm completely wasting my time with the stupid write-on

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:09 am

Emma. wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Enjoy SULCROM, brah.

Lulz. I don't want East Coast or LA, so S&C is probably out.

Ummmmmmm, enjoy Kirkland.

Fuck. THe point is: congrats on what are likely stellar grades.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:39 am

bjsesq wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Thanks baby. But I definitely crashed and burned this quarter. Not going to enjoy all the "what happened?" questions come OCI.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:47 am

Emma. wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Thanks baby. But I definitely crashed and burned this quarter. Not going to enjoy all the "what happened?" questions come OCI.

You'll be fine. And considering how hard you tend to be on yourself, I bet "crashed and burned" might be a bit hyperbolic. Tell pants I said what's up.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Emma. wrote:
It might have let me know if I'm completely wasting my time with the stupid write-on

The writing competition was truly awful. I have been like a zombie at work. :cry:

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 pm

cranberry wrote:
Emma. wrote:

The writing competition was truly awful. I have been like a zombie at work. :cry:

was?

Congrats. I'm still working. :cry: :cry: :cry:

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:23 pm

I "finished" on Sunday and have been proofing my TA. I am useless in the afternoon when I get home so I slaved it out on the weekends. I have totally lost interest in doing a journal after that hellstorm.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:42 pm

to those of you with a car - is there anything in particular one needs to know about bringing their car from california to chicago? Snow tires? Chains? Registering it? Weatherproofing it?

Etc etc.

Thanks

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:12 pm

trudat15 wrote:to those of you with a car - is there anything in particular one needs to know about bringing their car from california to chicago? Snow tires? Chains? Registering it? Weatherproofing it?

Etc etc.

Thanks

You are supposed to get a City Sticker, which costs $70 per year, in order to have a car within the city limits. I've managed to get through a year without one, but I guess if you park on the street a lot it is essential. They salt the streets like crazy in the winter so you should be fine without chains or snow tires, but without snow tires/AWD there will probably be days when you just won't be driving.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Emma. wrote:
trudat15 wrote:to those of you with a car - is there anything in particular one needs to know about bringing their car from california to chicago? Snow tires? Chains? Registering it? Weatherproofing it?

Etc etc.

Thanks

You are supposed to get a City Sticker, which costs $70 per year, in order to have a car within the city limits. I've managed to get through a year without one, but I guess if you park on the street a lot it is essential. They salt the streets like crazy in the winter so you should be fine without chains or snow tires, but without snow tires/AWD there will probably be days when you just won't be driving.

I have an AWD jeep, so does that pretty much eliminate the need for snow tires?

If not, what are snow tires?

NakedPowerOrgan

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:04 pm

that was painful

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:06 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:that was painful

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:13 am

duckmoney wrote:
I have an AWD jeep, so does that pretty much eliminate the need for snow tires?

If not, what are snow tires?

Yeah, don't buy new tires. But if you've never driven in snow before and the winter is anything like last winter, you can still probably expect not to be driving some days.

Oh, and:

California Babe wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:that was painful

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Hope all the other 1Ls survived the last couple days.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 pm

I need a hug, a glass of wine, and some hard drugs. :cry:

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Does anyone know what our median is? I know 177 is the "grading" median, but is the class median also around there? I guess mathematically it would be... :oops: I don't know; I don't do math.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:59 pm

cranberry wrote:Does anyone know what our median is? I know 177 is the "grading" median, but is the class median also around there? I guess mathematically it would be... :oops: I don't know; I don't do math.

Hard drugs FTW.

Yeah, I think the overall median would be only slightly above 177 because of the 178 median in LRW.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 am

Emma. wrote:
cranberry wrote:Does anyone know what our median is? I know 177 is the "grading" median, but is the class median also around there? I guess mathematically it would be... :oops: I don't know; I don't do math.

Hard drugs FTW.

Yeah, I think the overall median would be only slightly above 177 because of the 178 median in LRW.

Someone receiving a median grade in every 1L class would have a 177.1

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:38 am

I think it varies year-to-year based upon the overall distribution. If the same people are getting the high grades and the same people are getting the low grades it should be around 177. However, if say 60% are getting a mixture of low and median grades, and 40% are getting a mixture of median and high grades, the median could drop to a 176 or so. It is kind of like how top ten percent fluctuates between 179.5 and 180.5 year-to-year based upon grade variability.

If I am any indication for the class, my highest and lowest grade were 11 points apart (barring disaster or triumph on my elective). I would think that this is indicative of strong competition and probably a tight median around 177.

My guess is that those between a 176 and 177.9 will be considered "median" by employers. You have to have pretty consistent good or bad grades to pull below 176 and above a 177.9.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:39 pm

The employment forum exploded with chicago.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:56 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I think it varies year-to-year based upon the overall distribution. If the same people are getting the high grades and the same people are getting the low grades it should be around 177. However, if say 60% are getting a mixture of low and median grades, and 40% are getting a mixture of median and high grades, the median could drop to a 176 or so. It is kind of like how top ten percent fluctuates between 179.5 and 180.5 year-to-year based upon grade variability.

If I am any indication for the class, my highest and lowest grade were 11 points apart (barring disaster or triumph on my elective). I would think that this is indicative of strong competition and probably a tight median around 177.

My guess is that those between a 176 and 177.9 will be considered "median" by employers. You have to have pretty consistent good or bad grades to pull below 176 and above a 177.9.

Has top 10% ever been as high as 180.5? My understanding is that the grade cut off for LR is always somewhere between 179.5 and 180. Considering 180.5 at graduation is high honors and around the top 4% of the class get that, it seems crazy that top 10% could be that high in any given year. It sounds like 180.5 was the cut off for K&E Scholars last year.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:10 pm

Congrats on finishing 1L guys! Hope it wasnt really as brutal as I imagine.

Quick question - if they give you COL Loans for the school year, how do you survive the summer assuming your 1L summer is nonpaying?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:27 pm

trudat15 wrote:Congrats on finishing 1L guys! Hope it wasnt really as brutal as I imagine.

Quick question - if they give you COL Loans for the school year, how do you survive the summer assuming your 1L summer is nonpaying?

It was probably more brutal than you can imagine.

If you take a non-paying PI job, the school gives you a $5K stipend for the summer. A lot of people take advantage of that, and if you work for the clinic or RA or something like that you get payed by the hour. It is pretty minimal but enough to make rent. Judicial internship jobs don't pay and aren't eligible for the stipend, so don't apply for those if you don't have savings or some other means to survive the summer.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Emma. wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I think it varies year-to-year based upon the overall distribution. If the same people are getting the high grades and the same people are getting the low grades it should be around 177. However, if say 60% are getting a mixture of low and median grades, and 40% are getting a mixture of median and high grades, the median could drop to a 176 or so. It is kind of like how top ten percent fluctuates between 179.5 and 180.5 year-to-year based upon grade variability.

Has top 10% ever been as high as 180.5? My understanding is that the grade cut off for LR is always somewhere between 179.5 and 180. Considering 180.5 at graduation is high honors and around the top 4% of the class get that, it seems crazy that top 10% could be that high in any given year. It sounds like 180.5 was the cut off for K&E Scholars last year.

What is K&E Scholars? Should I know about this?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”