UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
landshoes
is that cool?

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby landshoes » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:43 am

InfinitelyStressed wrote:Any input on Glass Menagerie photos from current students? If I have one professional looking photo and one a little more casual, which should I go with? I want employers to take me seriously, but I also don't want to have classmates and professors think that I'm overdoing it. Opinions/any regrets? What do most people use?

I think the person above is not being entirely serious. I would go with the professional one, but it doesn't matter unless it displays truly egregious judgement.

If someone legitimately thinks less of you because your picture is too nice, they are ridiculous, and I have never heard of that happening. Mostly, people say that a photo is nice or comment that someone has a different haircut or something like that.

KMart

Postby KMart » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:36 pm

InfinitelyStressed wrote:I also don't want to have classmates and professors think that I'm overdoing it.

I haven't even looked at mine once and I can't see why any professor would care.

trramic

Postby trramic » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Help - should I do the writing competition? I have no desire to clerk. My goals are to get a market-paying biglaw job in Chicago or my secondary market (where I have a market-paying SA this summer).

I've only read about half the packet so far as I have minimal time to spend on it after work.

Is it a bad call to just give up on it? What future options am I eliminating if I don't do the competition?

Fwiw I currently have slightly above median grades and doubt that will change when grades are released - so grading-on won't happen.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:03 pm

trramic wrote:Help - should I do the writing competition? I have no desire to clerk. My goals are to get a market-paying biglaw job in Chicago or my secondary market (where I have a market-paying SA this summer).

I've only read about half the packet so far as I have minimal time to spend on it after work.

Is it a bad call to just give up on it? What future options am I eliminating if I don't do the competition?

Fwiw I currently have slightly above median grades and doubt that will change when grades are released - so grading-on won't happen.

also interested in this, except without the market-paying SA

Eldon Tyrell

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:27 pm

If you don't want a clerkship, then the benefits of doing journal are drastically diminished. If you want to do transactional work in addition to no clerkship, definitely don't do it. It's only an exercise in human misery.

If you want lit and no clerkship, then ehhhhhh. I focused mostly on transactional firms during OCI so other people can chime in, but I'm still of the opinion that it's not strictly necessary. I even got an offer at a preftigious lit boutique without it. But I didn't interview at many of these places. Was never asked about journal once when interviewing at a transactional firm.

As for future options outside of OCI, who knows man. Very much doubt five or ten years down the road someone will look at an otherwise qualified U Chicago attorney and ding them because they didn't do a damn journal.

bbridge

Postby bbridge » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:15 pm

landshoes wrote:
trramic wrote:Help - should I do the writing competition? I have no desire to clerk. My goals are to get a market-paying biglaw job in Chicago or my secondary market (where I have a market-paying SA this summer).

Also, if one is interested in perhaps clerking and doing impact lit PI stuff, is there any real benefit to doing Legal Forum or CJIL if one is not selected for the Lawl Review?

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:54 pm

bbridge wrote:
landshoes wrote:

Also, if one is interested in perhaps clerking and doing impact lit PI stuff, is there any real benefit to doing Legal Forum or CJIL if one is not selected for the Lawl Review?

Yes, although mostly outweighed by the drudgery of journal work. A fancy board position (EIC, EE, etc.) is meaningful, as is a good, published comment.

Your average LF/CJIL member is mostly just making their 2L/3L worse.

Edit: With good grades, there isn't much benefit to Law Review outside of clerking. I do think LR can be really helpful at OCI for those with median/above average grades.

bill_swerski

Postby bill_swerski » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:51 pm

Echoing what was said previously re: journal. LR will obviously be a nice addition to your resume, but journals are not necessary to getting a market paying firm job. This is especially true for transactional work.

daedalus2309

Postby daedalus2309 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Helmholz murdered me. How bad is that? Do firms think he's an outlier or am I out of luck?

This stinks.

bill_swerski

Postby bill_swerski » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:53 pm

daedalus2309 wrote:Helmholz murdered me. How bad is that? Do firms think he's an outlier or am I out of luck?

This stinks.

I know of one person who this happened to last year, and that person ended up with a terrific firm in the market they were targeting.

This happens to people every year. I wouldn't sweat it honestly, especially if your overall GPA is solid.

Now that 1L grades are coming out people are going to start freaking out about them (even people with high GPAs). I figured I will beat the crowd and say that you will all end up just fine at OCI (assuming you bid decently and are not horrific at interviews)

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:58 pm

daedalus2309 wrote:Helmholz murdered me. How bad is that? Do firms think he's an outlier or am I out of luck?

This stinks.

I've heard from alums and 3Ls that firms completely ignore it

Eldon Tyrell

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:01 pm

landshoes wrote:

This stinks.

Ehhhhhhh. This is almost certainly false. Will it prevent you from getting something from OCI? No, probably not. But people will take note, and potentially ask about it, as they would for any low outlier grade. Helmholtz isn't special in that regard.

Also this is sort of a dumb question in the abstract. If you have a 180 average and are belly aching over a 177/176/175, then you should do some self reflection. If you're riding the 172 bus (or lower) to property town and have closer to median or below median grades, it might be a bigger concern. Your overall GPA, resume and interviewing skills will have a much, much bigger impact on your job prospects than one grade, though.

This question is probably more appropriate over PM.

Eldon Tyrell

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:05 pm

Also, as an FYI, I started the OCI thread. Once you spend a few days thinking about literally anything other than grades, you can ask OCI-specific questions there.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=265332

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:
landshoes wrote:

This stinks.

Ehhhhhhh. This is almost certainly false. Will it prevent you from getting something from OCI? No, probably not. But people will take note, and potentially ask about it, as they would for any low outlier grade. Helmholtz isn't special in that regard.

Also this is sort of a dumb question in the abstract. If you have a 180 average and are belly aching over a 177/176/175, then you should do some self reflection. If you're riding the 172 bus (or lower) to property town and have closer to median or below median grades, it might be a bigger concern. Your overall GPA, resume and interviewing skills will have a much, much bigger impact on your job prospects than one grade, though.

The alums I've spoken to (who interview for OCI) literally don't care about it and specifically mentioned him by name---without being prompted!---as a grade that they disregard when it's a low outlier. And of course if you have law-review grades you'll do better than if you have below-median grades...I don't think anyone is unaware of that. They were asking about how much a Helmholz outlier makes the rest of your grades look shittier. And I think the answer is "it doesn't."

Obviously, we're all speculating (unless we're the people in charge of hiring at the firm you are applying to), but I would err on the side of not worrying about it, in large part because you can't fix it now anyway.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:00 pm

I mean not to be referencing anonymous sources in a totally unverifiable way, but...yeah, that's what I'm doing. I don't think it's worth tearing your hair out over. It happens to a lot of people.

Eldon Tyrell

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:15 pm

The difference between our positions isn't big enough to split hairs over, but I have a feeling you're over generalizing.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:21 am

landshoes wrote:
Eldon Tyrell wrote:
landshoes wrote:

This stinks.

The alums I've spoken to (who interview for OCI) literally don't care about it and specifically mentioned him by name---without being prompted!---as a grade that they disregard when it's a low outlier. And of course if you have law-review grades you'll do better than if you have below-median grades...I don't think anyone is unaware of that. They were asking about how much a Helmholz outlier makes the rest of your grades look shittier. And I think the answer is "it doesn't."

Obviously, we're all speculating (unless we're the people in charge of hiring at the firm you are applying to), but I would err on the side of not worrying about it, in large part because you can't fix it now anyway.

It's rare, but it happens. It requires that the interviewer went to UoC, had Hammer or knows of him, and is willing to strike that grade out. I had two associates like that during OCI. Like any bad grade, have a compelling story if asked about it, and not "the dude is called the hammer for a reason."

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:27 am

Eldon Tyrell wrote:The difference between our positions isn't big enough to split hairs over, but I have a feeling you're over generalizing.

Fair enough, probably. As mentioned above, the people I know are also alums so there's probably more knowledge there than other OCI interviewers.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:28 am

WheninLaw wrote:
landshoes wrote:
Eldon Tyrell wrote:
landshoes wrote:

This stinks.

It's rare, but it happens. It requires that the interviewer went to UoC, had Hammer or knows of him, and is willing to strike that grade out. I had two associates like that during OCI. Like any bad grade, have a compelling story if asked about it, and not "the dude is called the hammer for a reason."

no, I'm sorry, this is what I'm going to say, and I'm going to waggle my eyebrows when I say it. you can't stop me from shining

lebongenre

Postby lebongenre » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:49 am

Question for those who live(d) in Regents Park: Any reports/rumors of a bedbug problem?

Was speaking with an agent when I overheard another agent assisting a resident in preparing her unit for bedbug treatment. Wondering if this is a relatively isolated incident or if I should run for a different building in HP :?

RecoveringJD

Postby RecoveringJD » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:17 pm

lebongenre wrote:Question for those who live(d) in Regents Park: Any reports/rumors of a bedbug problem?

Was speaking with an agent when I overheard another agent assisting a resident in preparing her unit for bedbug treatment. Wondering if this is a relatively isolated incident or if I should run for a different building in HP :?

I don't know anything about bed bugs, but to anyone who still has a choice: Don't live in Regents.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:09 pm

I loved Regents don't give into the hate

Eldon Tyrell

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:24 pm

2014 wrote:I loved Regents don't give into the hate

lebongenre

Postby lebongenre » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Thanks to all for the responses! Still deciding where to lease, but it's good to hear that Regents isn't a known bug haven.

chicago-gunner123

Postby chicago-gunner123 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:53 pm

When/how do I sign up for the MPRE? I am a rising 3L right now and I already took Ethics

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”