UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beepboopbeep

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:31 pm

I dunno, I think it helped me to do em all totally last minute. Keeps it all fresh come exam-time. If I'd gotten 50% of my outline done before Thanksgiving that's 50% of my outline that I'll totally have forgotten about in a couple weeks.

There's probably something to be said for having time to digest/synthesize/whatever it all too, tho

Shit's personal, what works for you might not work for someone else & vice versa, etc etc

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:38 pm

I think there is only one "right" approach to outlining - the one where you leave yourself enough time to take practice tests. 1L's are weirdly obsessed with having the perfect outline. Who cares. Take tests.

bill_swerski

Postby bill_swerski » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Things are going to work differently for everyone. Some folks absorb information faster than others. Just do what makes you feel most comfortable.

I think what WheninLaw said is right: you should take practice tests to get into the habit of analyzing issues under time constraints. Just make sure that you compare your practice test results with the model student answers. I actually think it's smart to just spend time analyzing the model student answers in order to get an idea of what constitutes a "good" exam.

chicago-gunner123

Postby chicago-gunner123 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:13 pm

WheninLaw wrote:I think there is only one "right" approach to outlining - the one where you leave yourself enough time to take practice tests. 1L's are weirdly obsessed with having the perfect outline. Who cares. Take tests.

This. Civ Pro might be unique, given it's a take home, so it could be worth putting a little extra time into that outline. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Practice Tests have the best ROI of any study method. Leaving time for practice tests is essential.

skers

Postby skers » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:12 pm

This is going to be shocking, but the one weird trick to law school is there is no one weird trick. Different things work for different people. You might not figure out what you need first go around, and that's ok. That's why you go to UChicago and relatively bomb shit and still be totally ok.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:32 pm

chicago-gunner123 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:I think there is only one "right" approach to outlining - the one where you leave yourself enough time to take practice tests. 1L's are weirdly obsessed with having the perfect outline. Who cares. Take tests.

This. Civ Pro might be unique, given it's a take home, so it could be worth putting a little extra time into that outline. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Practice Tests have the best ROI of any study method. Leaving time for practice tests is essential.

Wait, what? If it is an 8-hour take home you shouldn't be putting more time into your outline.

skers

Postby skers » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Emma. wrote:
chicago-gunner123 wrote:

Wait, what? If it is an 8-hour take home you shouldn't be putting more time into your outline.

Yeah, the take home part doesn't make sense, but outlining will take longer just b/c outlining elements should take maybe a day.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:47 pm

Only one of the civpro classes has a take home this year.

Anyone here do a 3-hour civpro exam?

There are no practice tests for my prof for this class (CivPro with Prof. Casey) so I'm wondering how best to prepare.

Robb

Postby Robb » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Maybe mention it to him. Since it's y'alls first quarter of exams he might be willing to write out a few practice questions/answers.

But if nothing else, take a look at the other Civ Pro exams. In every case where there have been no practice exams for a particular professor, my professors have directed us to the professor's exam whose style they think will most match their own. Besides, IMO the point of practice exams, especially early on, is to learn how issue spotters work rather than to learn any professor's particular style (because IME most professors don't have super quirky preferences, with a few exceptions, like Strahilevitz who is spelling/grammar crazy). To any extent Prof. Casey has quirky preferences you can also glance over sample answers for his other classes, but I think this will be less helpful (because the unfamiliar content will make them more difficult to understand): issue spotters really tend to all be very similar.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:46 am

Thank you, that was so helpful!

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:35 pm

landshoes wrote:Only one of the civpro classes has a take home this year.

Anyone here do a 3-hour civpro exam?

There are no practice tests for my prof for this class (CivPro with Prof. Casey) so I'm wondering how best to prepare.

edit: wrong, it was civ pro ii

but Casey is very predictable in his exam writing so shouldn't be too bad.
Last edited by WheninLaw on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:37 pm

Really? This is the first time he's taught CivPro I, maybe you're thinking of CivPro II or Baird. He told us in class to look at Baird/Buss' exams.

I would love to be wrong about this, of course.

Tiny Dancer

Postby Tiny Dancer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:41 am

Has anyone taken Evidence with Leiter? I want to take it, but I'm concerned about having a closed book exam.

DontStopBeliebin

Postby DontStopBeliebin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:35 pm

Tiny Dancer wrote:Has anyone taken Evidence with Leiter? I want to take it, but I'm concerned about having a closed book exam.

You might want to double check that it's actually closed book. Registrar listed Buss' evidence class last year as closed book when it turns out Buss had told them open book all along.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:59 am

Tiny Dancer wrote:Has anyone taken Evidence with Leiter? I want to take it, but I'm concerned about having a closed book exam.

Yes. It's a MC exam. You have access to the FRE, which you can write infinite notes in, but nothing else. I loved it.

Tiny Dancer

Postby Tiny Dancer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:44 pm

WheninLaw wrote:

Yes. It's a MC exam. You have access to the FRE, which you can write infinite notes in, but nothing else. I loved it.

What's a FRE? And why did you love it?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:37 pm

Tiny Dancer wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:

Just a guess, but I think it's Federal Rules of Evidence.

Tiny Dancer

Postby Tiny Dancer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:55 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
Tiny Dancer wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:

Just a guess, but I think it's Federal Rules of Evidence.

:lol: I'm definitely not ready for this class.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:33 am

Tiny Dancer wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:

FRE is Federal Rules of Evidence.

I enjoyed the class overall. Leiter is chill, doesn't call on people often (and you know when you're on call), and a multiple choice is different and kind of cool.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:17 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Postby KMart » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Wahrheit wrote:Can anyone comment on the Skadden 1L scholars program?

I believe it's a diversity program.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:49 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Postby KMart » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
KMart wrote:

Yeah. Has anyone here done it, though? Just curious about experiences with the firm etc

There's a 3L on the who worked where list who is really nice and did it. Shoot him an email if you don't get an answer here.

Edit - I don't want to speak for him, but he seems like he'd be willing to talk; he may not actually want to :lol:.

skers

Postby skers » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
KMart wrote:

Yeah. Has anyone here done it, though? Just curious about experiences with the firm etc

This may shock you, but people aren't really in a rush to put themselves on here to answer your questions. Use the who worked where list man.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:15 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”